X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DesertFox24
    • Jul 2005

Kyle Williams

I am just real curious as to why everyone things Kyle could not be a NT in a 34.

The main reason is everyone looks at his weight and says he is to light.

News flash everyone that was last year and the previous 4 years where he was asked to be a cover 2 type of a defense tackle.

Whats to say this guy could not add 10 to 15 pounds, we all know he is athletic and can move and is a very good penetrating the pocket.

Yes I would like someone like Dan Williams or the Harvey guy from East Carolina, but I think it is premature to assume Williams CAN NOT do the role. We need more information at this point, and we should get that information the first week in April.
  • Mahdi
    • Mar 2004

Re: Kyle Williams

My problem with KW is not only his weight. It's his style of play. You said it yourself, he is a penetrator. To be a NT you need to be a solid run defender and be able to handle double teams.

KW is not a strong guy and won't hold up in the middle. Offenses will run right up the gut on us all day.

Comment

• psubills62
      Legendary Zoner
      • Sep 2008

Originally posted by DesertFox24
      I am just real curious as to why everyone things Kyle could not be a NT in a 34.

News flash everyone that was last year and the previous 4 years where he was asked to be a cover 2 type of a defense tackle.

Whats to say this guy could not add 10 to 15 pounds, we all know he is athletic and can move and is a very good penetrating the pocket.

Yes I would like someone like Dan Williams or the Harvey guy from East Carolina, but I think it is premature to assume Williams CAN NOT do the role. We need more information at this point, and we should get that information the first week in April.
      I would say that's the main reason. Yes, the weight is significant (not only do we not know if he can add the necessary weight, but he has to be able to play well with that weight), but he's only been a penetrating DT for his career.

We don't know if he can add the weight and strength necessary to occupy multiple blockers every play. While a lot of people seem to be willing to give him a chance on 3rd downs, it's doubtful that he can be a long-term solution, especially on early downs when he needs to fill two gaps and allow the LB's to get to the ball carrier.
      "Misguided political correctness tethers our intellects."
      - Nicholas Cummings

Comment

• DesertFox24
        • Jul 2005

Yes you both are correct, it will be interesting to see how he works as a 0 technique.

Comment

• gonzo1105
          • Jul 2002

I think at the moment they haven't decided which 3-4 defense they are going to run. I think that is why they are going to run variations. I stated in another thread and Gailey even said there are multiple 3-4's you can run.

I really think that if Kyle Williams is the NT we will run something along the lines of what the Dallas Cowboys run with Jay Ratliff(who is also undersized and a penetrator). In their defense Ratliff is only responsible for one gap and is still allowed to shoot the gap while putting more of a stress on the MLB's jobs to occupy the middle. Williams, while not at the same level as Ratliff, is the same type of player and this variation of the 3-4 would make sense unless we draft a bigger NT like Cody or Williams.

Comment

• Mahdi
            • Mar 2004

Originally posted by gonzo1105
            I think at the moment they haven't decided which 3-4 defense they are going to run. I think that is why they are going to run variations. I stated in another thread and Gailey even said there are multiple 3-4's you can run.

I really think that if Kyle Williams is the NT we will run something along the lines of what the Dallas Cowboys run with Jay Ratliff(who is also undersized and a penetrator). In their defense Ratliff is only responsible for one gap and is still allowed to shoot the gap while putting more of a stress on the MLB's jobs to occupy the middle. Williams, while not at the same level as Ratliff, is the same type of player and this variation of the 3-4 would make sense unless we draft a bigger NT like Cody or Williams.
            Williams is not the same type of player as Ratliff. Ratliff is very strong and a good run defender. They are not similar at all.

The only thing they do the same is penetrate. Which is what makes Ratliff so good, he can do both, hold up in the run game and penetrate the backfield.

Ratliff is also 6'4 which gives him added leverage over Williams.

Comment

• LooneyBin
              • Sep 2008

The 3-4 will be the base defense.

They also said they'd switch to a 4-3 from time to time.

KW just needs to get bigger and stronger.

Comment

• TigerJ
                • Jul 2002

The problem ultimately is that until the players suit up and play the Bills really can't know whether or not Kyle Williams can handle the nose tackle position. If he can't, it's too late to address the problem. He'll stay on the roster and have a chance to show what he can do, but the Bills have to have a plan B in place. I don't think the Bills have the player on the roster that they can depend on as plan B either. Lonnie Harvey may develop, but we can't be sure. With Jimmy Kennedy rejoining the Minnesota Vikings, the free agent market for nose tackles has essentially dried up. That means plan B is the draft.
                I've made up my mind. Don't confuse me with the facts.

I'm the most reasonable poster here. If you don't agree, I'll be forced to have a hissy fit.

Comment

• Beebe's Kid
                  • Nov 2009

Originally posted by DesertFox24

The same reason everybody knows that Tebow couldn't possibly be an NFL QB. He doesn't fit what "the book" says an NT should be. It is a funny thing, but people that make a living "by the book" usually end up in the unemployment line, or stuck in mediocrity.

I believe that the Nix/Gailey/Edwards regime will be able to figure out whether KW can handle the position or not. I bet they will do more than look at his height and weight. They may actually see if there aren't ways to offset any weaknesses he may have, through effective use of the players around him, and build the defense to their strengths. This will be a wild concept, as Richie J and Co. seemed to try to pound the square peg into the round hole, over an over.

Comment

Working...
                  X