PDA

View Full Version : No NT?

Don't Panic
03-17-2010, 11:13 AM
A few things about the Edwards addition...

I think he will start and be a 2 down player at least. He is definitely not a NT, so it seems like we won't be running a traditional 3-4. If that's the case, expect to see each DL responsible for only one gap. That means that our MLBs will have to handle holes in the middle against the run, and our OLBs will have to provide most if not all of the pressure against the pass.

In and of itself, this isn't such a bad thing. But it does mean a few things, namely...

1. We will most likely not be looking at Dan Williams any more. We may look at a DT, or more specifically a NT, but I can't imagine it will be in round one. Not with LT being such a pressing need that has yet to be addressed.

2. Our LBs better be playing at a high level. If not, QBs are going to have all day and the middle of our front seven is going to get torn up for huge rushing gains.

3. As a result, LB might be more of a priority now. A lot of this will depend on Schobel's decision, but I wouldn't be surprised to see us go LB in the first or second round either way. We are going to have to have at least six guys with a strength in at least one area who can be on the field at any given time if this defense is going to be respectable.

All in all, I like the fixes, especially given the atmosphere in the market these days. We'll see if the Bills decide to get involved in the RFA market and tackle some of these needs before the draft.

HAMMER
03-17-2010, 11:29 AM
I believe he was brought in to play DE, why would you assume this would indicate an intention to play something other than a 3-4?

Night Train
03-17-2010, 11:34 AM
The Bills are still looking for a NT in FA or certainly within the first 2-3 rounds of the draft. They need at least 2 more before camp.

Don't Panic
03-17-2010, 12:40 PM
The assumption isn't that we aren't running a traditional 3-4, it's that we're running something more like what Dallas runs, which doesn't require a two gap NT. It's still a 3-4 though. I was under the impression he was here to play DT. Is that wrong? If so, forgive me... what I read thus far was that he was here to play DT.

psubills62
03-17-2010, 01:16 PM
The assumption isn't that we aren't running a traditional 3-4, it's that we're running something more like what Dallas runs, which doesn't require a two gap NT. It's still a 3-4 though. I was under the impression he was here to play DT. Is that wrong? If so, forgive me... what I read thus far was that he was here to play DT.

I think Dwan Edwards is here to play DE, but could kick inside to NT on passing downs. I'm pretty sure we're going to go with the traditional 2-gap system.

TigerJ
03-17-2010, 05:55 PM
I've read nothing to suggest Dwan Edwards will do anything besides playing defensive end. If anything, I could see Marcus Stroud playing a down here or there at DT, even though I think he'll be more suited to DE too. I think the Bills will at least try Kyle Williams at NT. I agree that it's a little more likely that the Bills go left tackle at #9. They still have a chance to get Cody in round two. If not Cody, Cam Thomas should be available.

T-Long
03-17-2010, 05:59 PM
This really means nothing, but thought it was interesting. On Madden, he is a 75 rating as a DE, an 80 as a DT in the 3-4. Hmmm...

NOT THE DUDE...
03-17-2010, 06:06 PM
The bills will draft a top nt in round 1 or round 2. mark it down.

terrence cody!

Don't Panic
03-17-2010, 06:35 PM
This really means nothing, but thought it was interesting. On Madden, he is a 75 rating as a DE, an 80 as a DT in the 3-4. Hmmm...

That was my source... thanks T-Long.