PDA

View Full Version : Brandon Spikes doesn't break 5.0 seconds in the 40

psubills62
03-17-2010, 11:28 AM
Florida ILB Brandon Spikes was unable to break 5.0 seconds in the forty-yard dash at the Gators' Wednesday Pro Day.

His unofficial times were 5.02 and 5.08. Spikes is a big hitter with playmaking cover skills, but his forty will haunt him on draft weekend. Once thought to be a late first-round prospect, he may now struggle to go in the second.

Wow...that is immensely slow.

DraftBoy
03-17-2010, 11:33 AM
:blowup:

Mahdi
03-17-2010, 11:34 AM
Woa. That is real slow. I still think he will be a very good player in the NFL but he just knocked himself out of the first 2 rounds.

The Spaz
03-17-2010, 11:52 AM
That is not good at all. Could be a steal though in the 3rd maybe.

gonzo1105
03-17-2010, 12:10 PM
And someone told me on this board that he can run sideline to sideline. He can't and he is going to be one of those guys that last until round 5 or 6 while everyone goes JEEZ HOW IS THAT GUY ON THE BOARD? People do it every year and clamor for these guys. He's not going to be a great NFL player, he's too slow and doesn't have the agility or ability to stay with RB's out of the backfield.

DraftBoy
03-17-2010, 04:41 PM
For the record Daniel Jeremiah (former NFL Scout-Movethesticks.com) said he spoke with some scouts and that they had Spikes at 4.9.

tampabay25690
03-17-2010, 06:25 PM
And someone told me on this board that he can run sideline to sideline. He can't and he is going to be one of those guys that last until round 5 or 6 while everyone goes JEEZ HOW IS THAT GUY ON THE BOARD? People do it every year and clamor for these guys. He's not going to be a great NFL player, he's too slow and doesn't have the agility or ability to stay with RB's out of the backfield.

He can run sideline to sideline.
He will be a very good NFL LB'r will fit very well in a 3-4 he has bever been the fastest player on the field but has very LONG arms which allows him make tackles...
He will not be on the board in the 5th or 6th are u on drugs.....

PECKERWOOD
03-17-2010, 10:48 PM
Woahhh, is he still injured? Maybe he is still injured? Rich Eisen runs a faster 40 than that.

Tatonka
03-17-2010, 10:50 PM
rich eisen runs in the high 5's... he couldnt beat an offensive lineman.

DraftBoy
03-18-2010, 10:52 AM
My Boss Corey Chavous Breaks down Brandon Spikes Pro Day and talks about Tim Tebow;
http://draftnasty.com/insider_blogs/corey/florida-lb-spikes-stock-drops-in-gainesville/

Florida LB Brandon Spikes ran the 40-yard dash in the 5.02 to 5.08 second range.

Spikes' status: Not good. After skipping the 2010 Senior Bowl (apparently because teammate #49 Cunningham couldn't compete) and then doing all of the drills in Indianapolis, Spikes decided to wait until his PRO DAY to show off the pedestrian speed scouts and teams were already speculative of originally. His decision making process throughout the postseason would be similar to cancelling a trip home from Las Vegas with only two chips left. Big gamble. In his case, unless by some unforseen chance he was injured, Spikes is now guaranteed of one thing. He will be lucky to hear his name called in the 2nd Round. Even if you have graded Spikes as a first rounder, the mismatches in space vs the Derrick Lockes (#20-Kentucky '09) of the world can no longer be ignored.

Buddo
03-19-2010, 06:53 AM
Looks to me like another, initially highly rated 'prospect', who is about to discover what life is like when you are no longer a big fish in a small pool.
One thing is for sure, he won't be going to the Raiders. ;)
For all his foibles, mad Al is right when he wants guys with speed. It's the killer in the NFL.
Al's problem, is not picking the right guys with speed, not his original premise.

JCBills
03-19-2010, 04:00 PM
40 times mean nothing. How many times per game will an ILB have to sprint 40 yds in a straight line with nothing in their way?

Even for positions where they actually might be running 40 yds straight like WR, Anquan Boldin runs a 4.7 40.

7,500+ yds later....

Not trying to defend a prospect, but don't get too caught up on timed speed.

Similar player like Micah Johnson runs a 4.9 and nobody freaked out over that.

DraftBoy
03-19-2010, 05:39 PM
40 times mean nothing. How many times per game will an ILB have to sprint 40 yds in a straight line with nothing in their way?

Even for positions where they actually might be running 40 yds straight like WR, Anquan Boldin runs a 4.7 40.

7,500+ yds later....

Not trying to defend a prospect, but don't get too caught up on timed speed.

Similar player like Micah Johnson runs a 4.9 and nobody freaked out over that.

I dont have a link but we had a rep there who said the 10 yd time was near 1.7, that's not a good sign either.

JCBills
03-19-2010, 07:15 PM
I dont have a link but we had a rep there who said the 10 yd time was near 1.7, that's not a good sign either.

I personally don't care for Spikes, that's an ugly 10 yd split, not going to lie. All I'm saying is don't invest too much into timed speed for anyone.

Buddo
03-21-2010, 06:13 AM
I personally don't care for Spikes, that's an ugly 10 yd split, not going to lie. All I'm saying is don't invest too much into timed speed for anyone.

I don't think people necessarily do (except mad Al), but it does actually play its part of the 'package'. The 10 yd split would be a sign that a guy can actually live with others long enough to make a play, and if that was a lot better, then you would be an awful lot less concerned.
'Speed' will often be a determining factor - but it isn't necessarily 'timed' speed. If the tape shows scouts that a guy plays at speed with the pads on, they will be taking note of that. Providing the guy times within a spread of time, e.g. 4.6 to 4.8, they wouldn't be concerned.

YardRat
03-21-2010, 07:03 AM
Good. I hope he drops to us in the third.

DraftBoy
03-21-2010, 10:17 AM
I agree in Round 3 he would be a great pickup.

Bert102176
03-21-2010, 01:44 PM
so your saying my grandma in her wheel chair can beat him lol