PDA

View Full Version : Clausen VS Tebow

better days
03-17-2010, 08:29 PM
I was initially all for drafting Clausen with the #9 pick if he was there. After what I have heard & read about him, I have changed my mind. He seems to have a personality similar to Ryan Leaf, & may be just as big a bust.

I saw a show on NFL Network about the alltime QB busts. Steve Mariuchi said about Leaf......."He should have been a STAR in the NFL, he had all the tools. The one thing he was lacking was the mental makeup. People underestimate how important that is."

It is amazing to me that there is so much negative talk & outright hatred for Tebow yet you hear very little negative about Clausen who seems to be an arrogant, immature ass.

I have read MANY posts that claim Tebow is too big a risk to take even in the 3rd rnd, while very few people think it is a risk to take Clausen in the 1st.

On "Path to the Draft" on NFL Network tonight, Mike Mayock said Tebow really impressed him with how much he has improved in only 6 weeks. He said he made great improvement from the ground up, from his footwork to his throwing. Mayock went on to say he spoke with a number of NFL execs & Tebow helped himself immensely today. On the same show Charles Davis said he thought Tebow would be drafted in the 1st.

I think it is now a lock that the Jags will take Tebow with their first pick...........if he is there. I just hope the Bills don't take Clausen.

X-Era
03-17-2010, 08:35 PM
I was initially all for drafting Clausen with the #9 pick if he was there. After what I have heard & read about him, I have changed my mind. He seems to have a personality similar to Ryan Leaf, & may be just as big a bust.

I saw a show on NFL Network about the alltime QB busts. Steve Mariuchi said about Leaf......."He should have been a STAR in the NFL, he had all the tools. The one thing he was lacking was the mental makeup. People underestimate how important that is."

It is amazing to me that there is so much negative talk & outright hatred for Tebow yet you hear very little negative about Clausen who seems to be an arrogant, immature ass.

I have read MANY posts that claim Tebow is too big a risk to take even in the 3rd rnd, while very few people think it is a risk to take Clausen in the 1st.

On "Path to the Draft" on NFL Network tonight, Mike Mayock said Tebow really impressed him with how much he has improved in only 6 weeks. He said he made great improvement from the ground up, from his footwork to his throwing. Mayock went on to say he spoke with a number of NFL execs & Tebow helped himself immensely today. On the same show Charles Davis said he thought Tebow would be drafted in the 1st.

I think it is now a lock that the Jags will take Tebow with their first pick...........if he is there. I just hope the Bills don't take Clausen.
1) How did you arrive at Clausen being an immature ass?

2) I dont think its a lock that the Jag's take Tebow in round 1. They have many needs, IMO.

better days
03-17-2010, 08:47 PM
1) How did you arrive at Clausen being an immature ass?

2) I dont think its a lock that the Jag's take Tebow in round 1. They have many needs, IMO.

1) I have been hearing people talk about him & have read the same thing as I have heard on a number of different sites including this one.

2) Yes the Jags have many needs. The biggest need they have is to sell tickets. If Tebow turns out to be even a decent QB, he will sell seats & most likely save that franchise. I think he would be worth the gamble at #9 for the Bills. For the Jags he is a lock to be picked with their first.

Ickybaluky
03-17-2010, 08:58 PM
Clausen does seem like a jerk. I understand why he is rated highly, but don't like him as much.

I have to admit I am coming around on Tebow. After hearing Mike Mayock talk about his improvement, it becomes easier to buy into the hype. No one can deny the obvious tings that Tebow has in his favor, like his leadership skills and work ethic. He is obviously a great athlete for the position.

I've always been skeptical of guys who have to change mechanics like he does, and he has a long way to go in terms of reading NFL defenses (you can say that about a lot of guys, though).

However, it is hard to ignore the people who are impressed by Tebow. There are some NFL guys with opinions I respect who are more convinced he can make the adjustment to the pro game. Given how important the QB position is to winning in the NFL, he really is an intriguing prospect.

I think Tebow goes late 1st, early 2nd, and he could rise even more between now and the draft. He has to be one of the most interesting prospects I can remember.

Novacane
03-17-2010, 09:01 PM
I can't see the Jags taking him with thier first pick.

Ickybaluky
03-17-2010, 09:05 PM

I think they will trade down if they want to do that. He would energize the franchise, which is something they need badly.

Here is Mayock's thoughts (http://blogs.nfl.com/2010/03/17/mayock-tebow-not-lone-star-in-gainesville/) from Florida's Pro Day.

He says of Tebow:

Tim Tebow made more progress than I expected between the Senior Bowl and his pro day. His delivery is more compact and his footwork is much tighter. Still, he’s a project, but don’t bet against this kid.

better days
03-17-2010, 09:14 PM

If you lived in Fla, you might have a better understanding. Yes the Jags have an average QB & have other needs but they are in desperate need of creating a buzz for that team.

Even when they were a hot team, they were after thoughts by football fans across Fla. Even in their own City you will find as many Fin fans as Jag fans. Outside of Jacksonville there are no Jags fans.

They NEED Tebow for PR, he is from Jacksonville & is loved by all football fans in that City as well as all the Gator fans across Florida, & believe me there are a lot of us.

BillsWin
03-17-2010, 09:39 PM
Leaf and Clausen have different attitudes. I'm sick of people using that comparison. Leaf was an arrogant ***** with team issues and a sense of self entitlement. He had no drive to improve himself. Clausen showed up to signing day in a limo. He was very confident in his abilities.

The difference between the two is that Clausen did try to better himself, and improved every season. His team player issues were addressed at the combine in interviews with scouts and front offices.

Confidence and arrogance are different things.

Not saying I like Clausen, I think he has bust risk but for different reasons. But the whole, "I don't want Clausen because he's a jerk, but Tebow would be great because he's a winner." routine is getting old.;

better days
03-17-2010, 09:51 PM
Leaf and Clausen have different attitudes. I'm sick of people using that comparison. Leaf was an arrogant ***** with team issues and a sense of self entitlement. He had no drive to improve himself. Clausen showed up to signing day in a limo. He was very confident in his abilities.

The difference between the two is that Clausen did try to better himself, and improved every season. His team player issues were addressed at the combine in interviews with scouts and front offices.

Confidence and arrogance are different things.

Not saying I like Clausen, I think he has bust risk but for different reasons. But the whole, "I don't want Clausen because he's a jerk, but Tebow would be great because he's a winner." routine is getting old.;

Yes confidence & arrogance are two different things. There have been many reports that Clausen is arrogant. Leaf did not have as many reports of his personality problems coming out of college as Clausen has.

Leaf had a far better College career than Clausen, so I think it is fair to say he improved every year in college as well.

Clausen has other reasons he may be a bust, but his personality may be the biggest reason he is a bust in the NFL.

To dismiss the fact that Tebow is a mature hardworking person while Clausen seems to be by many accounts an arrogant immature jerk is just stupid & you can bet all NFL teams will take their personalities into account when draft day comes.

sdbillsfan2
03-17-2010, 10:07 PM
When did football "commentators " become such trustworthy , reliable talent "evaluators "? How much football have any of these guys actually played. I think they have there place , but don't you think their opinions are just that , opinions.
If they were that good , maybe they should apply for jobs as NFL scouts.

I've seen guys on this site who I trust more then some of these idiots and their garbage analysis.

scartown
03-17-2010, 10:08 PM
All the talk of Clausen being arrogant and a jerk are way overblown. People just remember him coming into ND wearing a fur coat and coming out of a limo. That's what being brought up. All you have to do is listen to his coaches and teammates and you'll get a better understanding of what type of person he is. The kids tough and a hard worker. I would love for him to fall to 9.

Raptor
03-17-2010, 10:22 PM
Funny, because on Sirius from Alex Marvez and Pat Kirwan today both said that they had heard and talked to NFL execs today that said Tebow did nothing today that will improve his stock. Both said if you liked him before this you will still like him and if you didnt like him you wont. Plus he reverted back to his old throwing motion as the day went on

also there is zero chance the Jags are taking him at 10. Im sorry but taking a QB that is a long shot at best to actually end up being a QB in this league is not going to sell tickets. Winning sells tickets not some former Florida Gator sitting on the sideline. You have a GM and a Coach whos jobs are on the line and the last thing they wont to do is draft a publicity stunt with a top 10 draft pick when there will be far more talented players who could help there team right away and save there asses.

And the fans? Has anyone actually been to a Jag board and looked at a Tebow thread? I have and Most there fan base will light that stadium on fire in a riot of anger if they take Tebow at 10.

Clausen being an arrogant ass? I say good, you need to have some jerk in you to be a QB in this league. I want a guy who is confident and will demand the best from his teammates. Thats exactly what Clausen did last year and he showed his guts playing injured for nearly the entire year behind a joke of an OL trying to make up for a Defense that would have a tough time keeping a Juco college under 25 points.

better days
03-17-2010, 10:33 PM
Funny, because on Sirius from Alex Marvez and Pat Kirwan today both said that they had heard and talked to NFL execs today that said Tebow did nothing today that will improve his stock. Both said if you liked him before this you will still like him and if you didnt like him you wont. Plus he reverted back to his old throwing motion as the day went on

also there is zero chance the Jags are taking him at 10. Im sorry but taking a QB that is a long shot at best to actually end up being a QB in this league is not going to sell tickets. Winning sells tickets not some former Florida Gator sitting on the sideline. You have a GM and a Coach whos jobs are on the line and the last thing they wont to do is draft a publicity stunt with a top 10 draft pick when there will be far more talented players who could help there team right away and save there asses.

And the fans? Has anyone actually been to a Jag board and looked at a Tebow thread? I have and Most there fan base will light that stadium on fire in a riot of anger if they take Tebow at 10.

Clausen being an arrogant ass? I say good, you need to have some jerk in you to be a QB in this league. I want a guy who is confident and will demand the best from his teammates. Thats exactly what Clausen did last year and he showed his guts playing injured for nearly the entire year behind a joke of an OL trying to make up for a Defense that would have a tough time keeping a Juco college under 25 points.

Well if you want an arrogant ass as QB lets just go get Ryan Leaf, I'm pretty sure he is available & he has all the tools to be an NFL QB.

better days
03-17-2010, 10:40 PM
All the talk of Clausen being arrogant and a jerk are way overblown. People just remember him coming into ND wearing a fur coat and coming out of a limo. That's what being brought up. All you have to do is listen to his coaches and teammates and you'll get a better understanding of what type of person he is. The kids tough and a hard worker. I would love for him to fall to 9.

There was also the incident at the end of last season where Clausen was cold ****ed by some guy at a resturant where he was celebrating after a loss. Jimmy says the guy came out of nowhere to do it, but there have been rumors that Clausen was being a jerk in the mens room. I think it is pretty strange that someone would just come & punch him in the face with no prior contact between the two of them.

Raptor
03-17-2010, 10:45 PM
Well if you want an arrogant ass as QB lets just go get Ryan Leaf, I'm pretty sure he is available & he has all the tools to be an NFL QB.

Or how about we go get P.Rivers? Big Ben?

How about Former NFL QB's

Jim Kelly? Dan Marino? John Elway?

All considered arrogant *****s and thats just the tip of the Ice Berg. Lets not set a precedent on one extreme failed case in R.Leaf and then throw all QB's who get the label of arrogant ass under it shall we. It makes for a very poor and ill informed argument/stance

Raptor
03-17-2010, 10:48 PM
There was also the incident at the end of last season where Clausen was cold ****ed by some guy at a resturant where he was celebrating after a loss. Jimmy says the guy came out of nowhere to do it, but there have been rumors that Clausen was being a jerk in the mens room. I think it is pretty strange that someone would just come & punch him in the face with no prior contact between the two of them.

I suggest you go to any bar where visible athletes hang out. They get challenged to fights all the time for no reason. Its because people feel they can be dicks to them because 9 times out of 10 the athlete will do nothing back because all the headline is going to read is so and so athlete got into a fight at a bar

better days
03-17-2010, 10:52 PM
Or how about we go get P.Rivers? Big Ben?

How about Former NFL QB's

Jim Kelly? Dan Marino? John Elway?

All considered arrogant *****s and thats just the tip of the Ice Berg. Lets not set a precedent on one extreme failed case in R.Leaf and then throw all QB's who get the label of arrogant ass under it shall we. It makes for a very poor and ill informed argument/stance

As Bills Win said, there is a difference between confidence & arrogance. I guess you could say a confident person is an arrogant person that has the ability to get the job done.

better days
03-17-2010, 11:16 PM
I suggest you go to any bar where visible athletes hang out. They get challenged to fights all the time for no reason. Its because people feel they can be dicks to them because 9 times out of 10 the athlete will do nothing back because all the headline is going to read is so and so athlete got into a fight at a bar

You are right about that, but this is just another incident that Clausen was involved in where there have been rumors that he was being a jerk at the time. The point is that Clausens personality should be a red flag for teams looking to draft him.

PECKERWOOD
03-18-2010, 01:36 AM

Dude, before I opened this thread I was wtf'ing during the entire time that it took for my internet to load this page, but I must say that after reading your argument that you're very convincing and this would make me feel less bad if we took Tebow with the 1st pick. I hope you don't sell cars, you could potentially **** me on a very expensive deal.

Night Train
03-18-2010, 05:18 AM
I still think this is a vastly overrated year for QB's... but because the Bills are desperate for one, we're trying to put a quality shine on the turd.

SABURZFAN
03-18-2010, 05:55 AM
i don't care for either QB but Clausen is more NFL ready.

PECKERWOOD
03-18-2010, 09:54 PM
Dude, before I opened this thread I was wtf'ing during the entire time that it took for my internet to load this page, but I must say that after reading your argument that you're very convincing and this would make me feel less bad if we took Tebow with the 1st pick. I hope you don't sell cars, you could potentially **** me on a very expensive deal.

Btw, I was kind of tanked when I wrote this, I disagree with this post.

better days
03-18-2010, 10:21 PM
Btw, I was kind of tanked when I wrote this, I disagree with this post.

Well then, I will have to get you Tanked on Draft Day if the Bills take Tebow in the 2nd, then you will agree with it. LOL

SirMcGee
03-18-2010, 11:41 PM
I don't trust any QB in this year's draft. I don't want any part of it.

SaviorEdwards
03-19-2010, 12:12 AM
I think the competition clausen has faced is an absolute joke!!! Wow congrats jimmy you put one decent season together. No way I want him at 9, give me Tebow. Pike, Lefevour, McCoy in a later round.