PDA

View Full Version : B's vs. Pens tonight

The King
03-18-2010, 08:29 AM
I know a lot of you don't care about this... but some of you might.

The B's face then Pens tonight at the Garden, their first match-up since Cooke tried to kill Savard. (FYI Savard is still confined to a dark space, trying to recover from his Grade 2 Concussion)

I am not sure how the Bruins retaliate or if they even will. I say send Chara after Cooke but a lot people think they should go after Sidney.

You guys have any thoughts on this? It's certainly a league wide concern.

http://www.boston.com/sports/columnists/gasper/2010/03/paybackits_call.html

The Garden will resemble the Roman Coliseum as bloodthirsty Bruins fans crave revenge on Cooke, who skated by without a penalty or incredulously any type of suspension from the somnambulant NHL for his cheap shot on Savard.

The NHL did nothing to Cooke. The Bruins can't afford to do the same. This is the defining moment in the Bruins' season. They have to stand up for themselves. They have to stand and deliver. They have to stand for something, or the Black and Gold bandwagon will be abandoned.

OpIv37
03-18-2010, 08:38 AM
They should definitely send someone after Cooke.

But I wouldn't sent Chara- he's too important to a team barely holding onto a playoff spot. And I wouldn't go after Sidney because the league more or less enforces a "3 foot bubble of personal space around Sidney Crosby" rule. The Bruins can't risk suspension in either case.

I'm not familiar enough with their roster to suggest who should do it, but pick the biggest fourth liner and have him take Cooke out as early as possible.

rbochan
03-18-2010, 08:45 AM
Julien should line Thornton up against Crosby from the very first shift he takes and tell him to run him until he lands on a stretcher the same way Savard did. I'd bet good money Campbell would do something then.

RockStar36
03-18-2010, 08:51 AM
I guess Campbell and some other NHL big wigs are attending this game. I got the impression by that news that it's a subtle warning to the B's to not retaliate, but they still should.

Call someone up from the AHL or take a fourth liner who they won't miss for a few games and run at Cooke. Take him out.

The NHL could've avoided this by just suspending Cooke, but they didn't, so it will be their mess to clean up now.

I'll have much more respect for the B's if they respond. Don't do what Buffalo does these days and sit back and take it.

DMBcrew36
03-18-2010, 08:54 AM
I want the B's to go after Cooke, big time.

RockStar36
03-18-2010, 08:57 AM
This reminds me of the Ottawa/Buffalo game a few years back. I was so pumped up for that game and it was only a regular season matchup. This is why I love hockey.

The King
03-18-2010, 09:01 AM
They have four guys who could do something... Thorton, Stuart, Lucic and Chara. I know Campbell will be at the game... but I hope the B's make a statement.

The King
03-18-2010, 09:12 AM
In the article above 70% of B's fans said revenge was more important than a point tonight. That speaks volumes IMO.

rbochan
03-18-2010, 09:17 AM
Wish I had an old ambulance, I'd drive to Boston and just circle the arena all day with the siren blaring.

DMBcrew36
03-18-2010, 09:18 AM
Wish I had an old ambulance, I'd drive to Boston and just circle the arena all day with the siren blaring.

I don't know why, but this made me chuckle

RockStar36
03-18-2010, 10:31 AM
Man, I'm almost pissed that the Sabres play tonight and I can't just watch this game.

It's Matt Cooke (http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/players/1765/)(notes) (http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/players/1765/news) Retribution Night in Boston tonight; if only they could have scheduled Marc Savard (http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/players/1569/)(notes) (http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/players/1569/news) bobblehead night for the same game.

The Boston Bruins (http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/teams/bos/) will meet the Pittsburgh Penguins (http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/teams/pit/) for the first time since Cooke drilled Savard in the noggin (http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puck_daddy/post/Video-Savard-stretchered-off-after-Matt-Cooke-h?urn=nhl,226371) on a non-penalized hit, both in the game and by the NHL (http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puck_daddy/post/No-suspension-for-Matt-Cooke-after-blindsiding-M?urn=nhl,227229). Savard's concussion jeopardized the Bruins' playoff chances; reignited the blindside hit debate to the point where emergency legislation may be passed; and, most of all, infected some Bostonians with a bloodlust that will only subside with the frozen frontier justice of the hockey Code.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puck_daddy/post/Making-Sidney-Crosby-pay-for-Matt-Cooke-s-sins?urn=nhl,228777

The King
03-18-2010, 10:35 AM
I wish I could watch the Pens morning skate... After being spanked last night... and having no idea what's coming tonight that has to be a pretty eerie place to be.

Where's LTFF, i wonder how he feels about this.

The King
03-18-2010, 10:38 AM
I love Jack Edwards.

"If you want to get somebody's attention, you've got to take nine teeth out of Crosby's face. You've got to take him out."

RockStar36
03-18-2010, 11:20 AM
I wish I could watch the Pens morning skate... After being spanked last night... and having no idea what's coming tonight that has to be a pretty eerie place to be.

Where's LTFF, i wonder how he feels about this.

The playoffs haven't started, therefore he has no opinion on this.

DMBcrew36
03-18-2010, 11:23 AM
I love Jack Edwards.

Yeah, now if only the guy could wake up and pronounce players names properly.

It's Shuh-tan, not Sha-TAHHHHN

Ann-tro-pahv, not Ann-TRAWWW-PUHV

DMBcrew36
03-18-2010, 11:24 AM
"NHL disciplinarian Colin Campbell and director of officiating Terry Gregson will both attend tonight's game in an effort to keep things under control"

As if this wasn't expected...

The King
03-18-2010, 11:26 AM
"NHL disciplinarian Colin Campbell and director of officiating Terry Gregson will both attend tonight's game in an effort to keep things under control"

As if this wasn't expected...This whole night is his fault. The fans know that.

RockStar36
03-18-2010, 11:32 AM
I love how Campbell is attending the game, as if it's a threat to Boston. Like Bedard said, this is all his fault. He wouldn't be attending this game if he just suspended Cooke after the incident. He let it go unpunished and now he has a potential mess on his hands.

I can't stand that guy.

The King
03-18-2010, 11:34 AM
By the way the B's have three guys with flu like symptoms... sounds like they're poaching from Providence.

Count Lucic out of any fights too. I forgot he has a broken nose.

DraftBoy
03-18-2010, 11:58 AM
**** going after Cooke or Crosby alone...

Id have my 4th line run every single Pen they could all night long. Every single bastard that came within hitting distance should be laid out on the ice. That'd be my strategy.

chernobylwraiths
03-18-2010, 12:50 PM

As if this wasn't expected...

As if they could actually do something if things happened. What? Are they going to jump out on the ice and, like Moses, part the two teams with the force of their will?

This is like the Bertuzzi situation. As much as his hit was a cheap shot and a dirty play, that's all he wanted was retribution on a guy who was known to take runs at other teams good players. And Moore took out Naslund with one of those questionable hits. It is what almost infuriates me about the Sabres on most occasions. Don't they realize how much this city would love them if they just stood up for each other? 2 points aren't that important. That is why the fans loved Ted Nolan when he was here. That is why when Drury was hit and Buffalo immediately retailiated, it is still spoken of in reverence. I think the Sabres were losing at the time and even came back and won that game. It DOES fire the team up too.

rbochan
03-18-2010, 12:52 PM
http://i40.tinypic.com/2e6ezip.jpg

RockStar36
03-18-2010, 01:23 PM
As if they could actually do something if things happened. What? Are they going to jump out on the ice and, like Moses, part the two teams with the force of their will?

This is like the Bertuzzi situation. As much as his hit was a cheap shot and a dirty play, that's all he wanted was retribution on a guy who was known to take runs at other teams good players. And Moore took out Naslund with one of those questionable hits. It is what almost infuriates me about the Sabres on most occasions. Don't they realize how much this city would love them if they just stood up for each other? 2 points aren't that important. That is why the fans loved Ted Nolan when he was here. That is why when Drury was hit and Buffalo immediately retailiated, it is still spoken of in reverence. I think the Sabres were losing at the time and even came back and won that game. It DOES fire the team up too.

I couldn't agree more with everything you just said.

I hate that teams can run Miller right now with little to no retaliation.

Mr. Pink
03-18-2010, 02:19 PM
Wow, there was absolutely nothing wrong or dirty with that hit.

That's why you're supposed to keep your head up so it's not at the level of right below someone's shoulder who is skating in.

While Cooke did nothing to avoid contact, he didn't go out of his way to lay Savard out either.

OpIv37
03-18-2010, 02:28 PM

That's why you're supposed to keep your head up so it's not at the level of right below someone's shoulder who is skating in.

While Cooke did nothing to avoid contact, he didn't go out of his way to lay Savard out either.

Nothing dirty or wrong about a hit with the elbow from behind that results in a concussion to one of the team's best players? Wow.....

The King
03-18-2010, 02:42 PM

There will be about 18,000 people in attendance that feel differently tonight.

Mr. Pink
03-18-2010, 02:49 PM
Nothing dirty or wrong about a hit with the elbow from behind that results in a concussion to one of the team's best players? Wow.....

He didn't even hit him with his elbow.

Look at the replay...he caught him right below the shoulder.

The King
03-18-2010, 02:57 PM
He didn't even hit him with his elbow.

Look at the replay...he caught him right below the shoulder. Right because I haven't seen the hit 400x... I supposed he accidentally bumped knees with everyone in this clip.... How you can even defend him is beyond me.

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Nig2naN8NTs&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Nig2naN8NTs&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Mr. Pink
03-18-2010, 03:02 PM
Right because I haven't seen the hit 400x... I supposed he accidentally bumped knees with everyone in this clip.... How you can even defend him is beyond me.

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Nig2naN8NTs&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Nig2naN8NTs&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Cooke's past hits have nothing to do with this one.

His elbow never even hit Savard. He never extended his arm or even moved it away from his body.

The King
03-18-2010, 03:04 PM
Cooke's past hits have nothing to do with this one.

His elbow never even hit Savard. He never extended his arm or even moved it away from his body.:spit:

Listen you and I can both be labeled as homers so i will let the non B's Pens fans have the last say...

Mr. Pink
03-18-2010, 03:06 PM
:spit:

Of course a Bruins fan would have that viewpoint because it wouldn't fit his agenda.

Cooke could have easily avoided making contact but didn't go out of his way to intentionally injure Savard...just as I said in my first post.

There is nothing dirty or malicious in the hit.

If Savard keeps his head up, none of this happens.

RockStar36
03-18-2010, 05:07 PM
Wwwwooooowwwww.

I didn't even expect this from a Pens fan. Cooke is a dirty player and that was a dirty hit. Period.

This sounds like an Ottawa fan trying to defend Chris Neil.

Unreal.

Mr. Pink
03-18-2010, 05:58 PM
Yes the hit was so dirty the league did nothing to Cooke over this.

It's another case where a guys reputation bases the opinion of the play.

What was dirty about it?

RockStar36
03-18-2010, 06:17 PM
Yes the hit was so dirty the league did nothing to Cooke over this.

It's another case where a guys reputation bases the opinion of the play.

What was dirty about it?

Savard didn't have the puck. Savard wasn't looking. Savard was completely defenseless. Cooke led with his elbow/shoulder. Cooke went straight for the head.

Don't give me that crap about how the NHL did nothing about it so it's clean. Anybody that watches hockey will agree that the NHL is the most inconsistent league when it comes so suspensions and punishments. That means nothing to me.

RockStar36
03-18-2010, 06:22 PM
:bf1:

I have a ton of respect for the Bruins right now. Went right after Cooke the minute the game started and pounded the **** out of him.

Nicely done!

chernobylwraiths
03-18-2010, 10:20 PM

Incredibly stupid. He did nothing to avoid contact? No ****, he purposely hit him with his shoulder right on the chin.

It is exactly what is wrong with hockey. Nobody cares about other players anymore. I think Scott Stevens was one of the dirtiest hockey players but he mostly hit people face to face. Campbell's hit on Umberger was face to face. It is guys coming from the side that are incredibly cheap and dirty.

One of the other things that add to this is the fact that many players these days actually turn their back on players to almost draw the penalty on hits in the back.

chernobylwraiths
03-18-2010, 10:21 PM
:bf1:

I have a ton of respect for the Bruins right now. Went right after Cooke the minute the game started and pounded the **** out of him.

Nicely done!

damn! I can't wait to see some video.

LtFinFan66
03-18-2010, 11:14 PM
3-0 is all that matters

JD
03-19-2010, 01:17 AM
<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/V2LlShM0Bt0&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/V2LlShM0Bt0&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

chernobylwraiths
03-19-2010, 07:03 AM
3-0 is all that matters

Really?

The King
03-19-2010, 07:25 AM
The Bruins played pathetic last night and let Cooke off easy... IMO. This team is just soft, end of story.

RockStar36
03-19-2010, 07:27 AM
The Bruins played pathetic last night and let Cooke off easy... IMO. This team is just soft, end of story.

I stopped watching when the Sabres came on at 7:30 but in the beginning I loved how they handled Cooke. They went right at him and fought him, which is about all they could do realistically. Be glad they at least did that.

DraftBoy
03-19-2010, 07:35 AM
I stopped watching when the Sabres came on at 7:30 but in the beginning I loved how they handled Cooke. They went right at him and fought him, which is about all they could do realistically. Be glad they at least did that.

That's not all they could of done. That's all they choose to do, and I agree with MBB they let him off really easy. Fighting a guy who doesn't mind fighting...not really a huge payback moment. Big time disappointment.

The King
03-19-2010, 07:39 AM
The Bruins just cant hit.

Julien some how convinced this team that they can play finesse hockey. But they suck at that too.

RockStar36
03-19-2010, 08:05 AM
That's not all they could of done. That's all they choose to do, and I agree with MBB they let him off really easy. Fighting a guy who doesn't mind fighting...not really a huge payback moment. Big time disappointment.

Eh, I disagree. I mean, they could've taken their sticks and just swung at his head baseball style, but that wasn't going to actually happen.

I thought it was good that they went right after him, fought him, pretty much beat the hell out of him, and got it over with.

Granted this all could've been done immediately after the hit like the Sabres did when Drury went down, but it didn't, so this is what it is.

At least they even did something at all.