PDA

View Full Version : Bills looking at Pass rushers early

ZAZusmc03
03-18-2010, 10:46 AM
http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2010/3/18/1378983/lande-bills-looking-at-pass

Thought this article was really good. The Q&A is also worth the read.

Taken directly from the Q&A, here's that incredibly pertinent and legitimate Buffalo Bills (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/teams/BUF) information: Lande reports that the Bills, led by GM Buddy Nix, are targeting front seven defenders, in particular pass rushers, early in the 2010 NFL Draft.

DraftBoy
03-18-2010, 10:48 AM
Guys like Jerry Hughes, Ricky Sapp, and Sergio Kindle I think are in play at #9 though nobody mentioning them.

Dicknoze69
03-18-2010, 10:50 AM
Guys like Jerry Hughes, Ricky Sapp, and Sergio Kindle I think are in play at #9 though nobody mentioning them.

I know Sporting News' War Room has the Bills taking Kindle at #9. That's the only place I've even seen mention OLB with our 1st rounder.

ZAZusmc03
03-18-2010, 10:52 AM
I know Sporting News' War Room has the Bills taking Kindle at #9. That's the only place I've even seen mention OLB with our 1st rounder.

The interviewer actually asked Lande about that:

Why do you have Buffalo taking Sergio Kindle at #9 at the War Room?
I've spoken with scouts and other personnel inside the bills organization and they told me their top priority is front 7 and more specifically, pass rushers. They need pass rushers and don't be surprised when they draft a dominant pass rusher in the first round. Buffalo's future is certainly bright in the scouting department with Nix and Modrak together plus Doug Whaley, this organization has a bright future as long as they figure out their QB situation, they need to find a QB.

SirMcGee
03-18-2010, 10:54 AM
Derrick Morgan

mikemac2001
03-18-2010, 10:54 AM
just think if we did draft an OLD and maybin develops Could have some heat coming around the edge.

SirMcGee
03-18-2010, 10:56 AM
Morgan is as big as Merriman and Adelius Thomas. He'd be a good fit at OLB opposite of Maybin IMO. Also has GT connections with Gailey

muestafa1
03-18-2010, 11:00 AM
http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2010/3/18/1378983/lande-bills-looking-at-pass

Thought this article was really good. The Q&A is also worth the read.

Seems fishy... our offense has ranked so poorly the past decade and yet we wouldn't address it in FA or in the first few rounds of the draft? Who knows...

ZAZusmc03
03-18-2010, 11:05 AM
Seems fishy... our offense has ranked so poorly the past decade and yet we wouldn't address it in FA or in the first few rounds of the draft? Who knows...

If we go to a smash-mouth running offense this year, then I would rather see them stack the defense. I'd rather see us controlling the clock and letting our defense win games. We can worry about the following season.

Mr. Pink
03-18-2010, 11:06 AM
Sergio Kindle wouldn't be a surprising pick, a bit of a reach at 9, but wouldn't surprise me at all with this franchises' track record.

Nighthawk
03-18-2010, 11:17 AM
A LOT of junk comes from that site and the articles that are written over there. I don't put too much weight in anything that is written over there.

DraftBoy
03-18-2010, 11:48 AM
Morgan is as big as Merriman and Adelius Thomas. He'd be a good fit at OLB opposite of Maybin IMO. Also has GT connections with Gailey

I hope its not Morgan he is beyond attrocious in space and he's not the quick twitch athlete I want at OLB. I think he is a far better 4-3 DE then he would be a 3-4 OLB.

ZAZusmc03
03-18-2010, 11:51 AM
Hey DB, What do you think of Dunlap? Would he fit in somewhere on our defense? Or would he not be worth the pick.

DraftBoy
03-18-2010, 11:53 AM
Hey DB, What do you think of Dunlap? Would he fit in somewhere on our defense? Or would he not be worth the pick.

Honestly at 9, his potential is worth it. Its his maturity and work ethic that will knock him down. He takes plays off, he lolly gags some. He has maturity issues big time. He had the ability at Florida to be the most dominant DE to ever play in the SEC, but he choose not to do that. Its a concern.

I see a lot of Julius Peppers in him. But he has even less worth ethic. His measurables, numbers, ability, and film are great, but only when he feels like playing.

Philagape
03-18-2010, 12:01 PM
IF this is true, what does it say about their confidence in Maybin or any other converted DE-->OLB ? :ill:

DraftBoy
03-18-2010, 12:03 PM
IF this is true, what does it say about their confidence in Maybin or any other converted DE-->OLB ? :ill:

I dont think it says anything, I always thought they were going to go after another pass rush OLB early to compliment him. I think it says more about their lack of faith in Kelsay and Ellis.

psubills62
03-18-2010, 12:04 PM
I dont think it says anything, I always thought they were going to go after another pass rush OLB early to compliment him. I think it says more about their lack of faith in Kelsay and Ellis.

My thought exactly. At this point we have to assume that Maybin is the future ROLB, but who do we have at LOLB? Ellis will probably be given a chance, but we need a starter. Kelsay won't be able to cut it.

Ingtar33
03-18-2010, 12:27 PM
Honestly at 9, his potential is worth it. Its his maturity and work ethic that will knock him down. He takes plays off, he lolly gags some. He has maturity issues big time. He had the ability at Florida to be the most dominant DE to ever play in the SEC, but he choose not to do that. Its a concern.

I see a lot of Julius Peppers in him. But he has even less worth ethic. His measurables, numbers, ability, and film are great, but only when he feels like playing.

wow.... um...

DB watch Dunlap again. I took a look at him in the start of the off-season and was very disappointed. He is one of the slowest guys off the ball i've ever seen, look at him, he's THE slowest guy out of the 3 point stand on the Florida DL on EVERY play. he's nothing like Peppers... he also is atrocious in run defense, plays with his pads too high, and doesn't do a good job with his hands. Throw in his horrible "play recognition" and he plays far slower then his physical skills would otherwise indicate. It's not a good thing that he looks lost or even has his back to the ball on most plays...

I wouldn't be surprised if Dunlap didn't get drafted in round one...

psubills62
03-18-2010, 12:40 PM
wow.... um...

DB watch Dunlap again. I took a look at him in the start of the off-season and was very disappointed. He is one of the slowest guys off the ball i've ever seen, look at him, he's THE slowest guy out of the 3 point stand on the Florida DL on EVERY play. he's nothing like Peppers... he also is atrocious in run defense, plays with his pads too high, and doesn't do a good job with his hands. Throw in his horrible "play recognition" and he plays far slower then his physical skills would otherwise indicate. It's not a good thing that he looks lost or even has his back to the ball on most plays...

But, but that can't be right...he ran a 4.6 40! /sarcasm

BuffaloBlitz83
03-18-2010, 12:45 PM
Sergio Kindle wouldn't be a surprising pick, a bit of a reach at 9, but wouldn't surprise me at all with this franchises' track record.

I don't think Kindle is that much of a stretch at 9. I see him going around 9-12. I don't see him getting by Miami at 12

DraftBoy
03-18-2010, 12:50 PM
wow.... um...

I have and Ive seen that, Ive also seen him blow right past Ciron Black and Lee Ziemba just to get stone walled the next play. He has the ability to blow up players but he doesn always do it. Ive seen his Peppers like ability when he wants to flash it. That's his issue he only flashes it he never plays with it consistently.

His 10 yd split from yesterday was in the 1.2-1.3 range which is ridiculous for a DE and yes its only a 10 yd number with no pads and no OT, but he has the speed and agility.

He has to work on play recognition I don't disagree and honestly I dont want to draft Dunlap because I dont think he will be anything in the NFL because his work ethic sucks which is why I said he had the potential to be the best in the SEC, he just never bothered to care enough to capitalize on it.

NOT THE DUDE...
03-18-2010, 01:38 PM
derrick morgan... he can do everything.... im sure buffalo knows they have to get to the qb in a qb driven league. especially with clausen and bradford gone by the time we pick. we will take a nt in rd 2 and a LT in rd 3 and another olb in rd 4. we currently have no legitmate pass rushers at all. and yes schobel is not a game changer. we need a lamar woodley, demarcus ware, lawrence taylor olb...!!

better days
03-18-2010, 02:11 PM

I agree, he can dominate.........when he wants to. Like Warren Sapp & Bruce Smith, he needs someone to get through to him to fulfill his potential.

JCBills
03-18-2010, 03:37 PM

Been saying Hughes for months!

I know by "nobody" you mean people with an actual outlet to voice their opinion to the public, but I've been saying we basically don't have a good fit for LOLB on the roster.

JCBills
03-18-2010, 03:39 PM

It says you need more than one OLB.

I don't know what the "any other" statement is supposed to bring.

We need a LOLB. Maybin is a ROLB.

tampabay25690
03-18-2010, 04:39 PM
Derrick Morgan

He may be the guy at #9 especially being a G TECH guy..

Philagape
03-18-2010, 04:53 PM
It says you need more than one OLB.

I don't know what the "any other" statement is supposed to bring.

We need a LOLB. Maybin is a ROLB.

It means Schobel, Kelsay and Ellis are wastes. Hence the :ill:

JCBills
03-18-2010, 05:55 PM
It means Schobel, Kelsay and Ellis are wastes. Hence the :ill:

At 243 Lbs and 32 years old, he probably won't translate well to the strong side having been at RE his entire career.

Kelsay isn't athletic enough to effectively play the spot, though he could shock everyone and somehow take to it well, how that would happen I don't know, but I try not to talk in absolutes.

Ellis I can't really comment on, we've seen so little of him, though it may be for good reason.

NOT THE DUDE...
03-18-2010, 06:46 PM
if schobel retires we currently have unproven maybin, non existent ellis, and suck ass kelsay.... we have no pass rush. we have finished 30th in sacks per attempt. that is horrible. our first pick has to be graham or morgan, either one i would be happy with. and then in the 4th round we need to get thaddeus gibson or jason worilds... in a 34 usually teams keep 5 olbs that means we need 2.

NOT THE DUDE...
03-18-2010, 06:47 PM
i have to admit until i looked at it recently i didnt realize how bad it is, so i thought LT should be our pick or dan williams. i was wrong. we need pass rushers. outside of a qb, pass rushers have the most impact on a game. again morgan or graham would fit the bills...

JCBills
03-18-2010, 07:34 PM
i have to admit until i looked at it recently i didnt realize how bad it is, so i thought LT should be our pick or dan williams. i was wrong. we need pass rushers. outside of a qb, pass rushers have the most impact on a game. again morgan or graham would fit the bills...

Lol it's funny how opinions change when something that few have been saying have a long time gets published on a website.

I don't think Morgan or Graham are as likely to have a smooth transition to standing up as some of the other prospects, a few actually have experience doing it too.

X-Era
03-18-2010, 07:54 PM
Ive said it before and I will say it again, Derrick Morgan is one of my favorite players in the whole draft. I wouyld have ZERO problem with drafting him.

Pierre-Paul is just too raw and too much of a late bloomer... sorry, but I still have Flowers shell shock.

X-Era
03-18-2010, 07:57 PM

Hes big enough to play DE in a 3-4, hes just not 6-6 290. Id leave him at DE. He may struggle dropping back into coverage a bit as a OLB. And hes too solid against the run to make a situational pass rusher.

better days
03-18-2010, 08:07 PM
Ive said it before and I will say it again, Derrick Morgan is one of my favorite players in the whole draft. I wouyld have ZERO problem with drafting him.

Pierre-Paul is just too raw and too much of a late bloomer... sorry, but I still have Flowers shell shock.

Yeah, Pierre-Paul does not look like the type of player Nix said he wants to draft.

NOT THE DUDE...
03-18-2010, 09:18 PM
getting derrick morgan, thaddeus gibson and terrence cody in this draft would complete our defense! get it done!

jpdex12
03-18-2010, 09:38 PM
Watch out for Brandon Graham!

NOT THE DUDE...
03-18-2010, 09:40 PM
brandon graham would be a great pick!

WeAreArthurMoates
03-18-2010, 10:04 PM
I love Brandon Graham, people say he's to stiff in coverage but I could careless about that. I want him rushing the qb, not covering tightends. Graham is a mix between Woodley and Freeney. Ultra productive and isn't a legit top 10 pick just cause of his measurables. I would love Graham, especially if we trade down and snag him.

JCBills
03-18-2010, 11:17 PM
getting derrick morgan, thaddeus gibson and terrence cody in this draft would complete our defense! get it done!

If you take Cody you better have a good #2 NT as well.

Not sure Morgan translates to rush backer, most people have him pegged as strictly a 4-3 end.

Gibson might be better suited on the weak side, and if we look rush backer on the first two days, it pretty much needs to be a strong side prospect at this point....

NOT THE DUDE...
03-18-2010, 11:51 PM
i think thats who the bills are targeting, morgan or graham... they are just to good...

X-Era
03-19-2010, 05:47 AM
Watch out for Brandon Graham!Hes anotherr nice DE, and another player Id like to have as a Bill. The issue with him is where he likely will get drafted. I think your looking at mid to late round 1, and were not currently picking there.

Saratoga Slim
03-19-2010, 07:56 AM
I'm not necessarily opposed to an OLB at 9. Not the most intuitive selection with the needs at LT & DT, but OLB is a position that can make a huge difference in the 3-4.

Mr. Miyagi
03-19-2010, 10:25 AM
So we need a pass rusher early huh? Like a Maybin?

OpIv37
03-19-2010, 10:43 AM
So we need a pass rusher early huh? Like a Maybin?

This is EXACTLY why this team never wins.

We draft a player early, he does nothing, then a year or two later we're drafting for the same positions early, yet again.

psubills62
03-19-2010, 10:48 AM
This is EXACTLY why this team never wins.

We draft a player early, he does nothing, then a year or two later we're drafting for the same positions early, yet again.

I don't think that's the case here. As JCBills has pointed out many times, Maybin is a ROLB. We have a glaring hole at LOLB, unless you trust Kelsay or Ellis there? If you're making the point about Ellis, I understand. But it would appear that Maybin is considered the future (or current, depending on Schobel) starter at ROLB.

For what it's worth, I completely agree with your overall point, but since Maybin suddenly has a role in this defense, I don't think he should be the prime example of that recurring Bills drafting problem

Saratoga Slim
03-19-2010, 11:30 AM
I don't think that's the case here. As JCBills has pointed out many times, Maybin is a ROLB. We have a glaring hole at LOLB, unless you trust Kelsay or Ellis there? If you're making the point about Ellis, I understand. But it would appear that Maybin is considered the future (or current, depending on Schobel) starter at ROLB.

For what it's worth, I completely agree with your overall point, but since Maybin suddenly has a role in this defense, I don't think he should be the prime example of that recurring Bills drafting problem

I think Maybin may turn out to be a very good ROLB in a 3-4.

But Op's point is sorta right - Maybin wasn't drafted to be a ROLB in a 3-4, he was drafted to be a DE in a 4-3. If we're going to go on just his rookie season as a 4-3 DE, he was a bad pick.

Again, that's not saying that Maybin isn't very valuable to us NOW. It's just saying that if he is, it's only because we switched defenses.

psubills62
03-19-2010, 11:35 AM
I think Maybin may turn out to be a very good ROLB in a 3-4.

But Op's point is sorta right - Maybin wasn't drafted to be a ROLB in a 3-4, he was drafted to be a DE in a 4-3. If we're going to go on just his rookie season as a 4-3 DE, he was a bad pick.

Again, that's not saying that Maybin isn't very valuable to us NOW. It's just saying that if he is, it's only because we switched defenses.

Like I said, I agree with Op's point overall, and it would hold true for Maybin if we were still in a 4-3. I just don't think that he's a good example, knowing that we're switching to a 3-4.

I still don't know why they drafted Maybin last year...he didn't fit at all.

JCBills
03-19-2010, 03:28 PM
Like I said, I agree with Op's point overall, and it would hold true for Maybin if we were still in a 4-3. I just don't think that he's a good example, knowing that we're switching to a 3-4.

I still don't know why they drafted Maybin last year...he didn't fit at all.

Schobel's eventual replacement. When they said they were going to give him time at LE it was a head-scratcher, but I think it's obvious he wasn't drafted to play that spot.

NOT THE DUDE...
03-20-2010, 08:31 AM
i think like cameron wake who came out of penn state too, maybin will mature in a time, his body is still filling out so i give him a pass his rookie year. in his 2nd year he should at least get 4 to 5 sacks and show signs of being a legitimate edge rusher. in his 3rd year, i expect maybin to explode....

NOT THE DUDE...
03-20-2010, 08:32 AM
but brandon graham or derrick morgan , mostly graham should be our pick at 9...