For those who are dead set on LT in the 1st...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dying_-2-_Live
    • Feb 2009

For those who are dead set on LT in the 1st...

What is HARDER to find... a franchise QB ( Bradford / Clausen ) or a serviceable tackle?

Its without a doubt a franchise QB. Everyone complains about losing Peters. HE WAS AN UNDRAFTED TIGHT END TRYING TO PLAY TACKLE. Who says we cant find someone who is able to provide enough time, in the 2nd, 3rd, or even 4th rounds. Im telling you... Get an elite QB, and this team will be in the playoffs in no time.

Look at how well Sanchez did behind one of the "best" lines in the league. Sanchez under performed... and it killed them in the long run.
    Last edited by Dying_-2-_Live; 03-18-2010, 02:56 PM.
    "If you ain't first... You're last"

• SirMcGee
    • Feb 2010

Re: For those who are dead set on LT in the 1st...

Originally posted by Dying_-2-_Live
    What is easier to find... a franchise QB ( Bradford / Clausen ) or a serviceable tackle?

Its without a doubt a franchise QB. Everyone complains about losing Peters. HE WAS AN UNDRAFTED TIGHT END TRYING TO PLAY TACKLE. Who says we cant find someone who is able to provide enough time, in the 2nd, 3rd, or even 4th rounds. Im telling you... Get an elite QB, and this team will be in the playoffs in no time.

Look at how well Sanchez did behind one of the "best" lines in the league. Sanchez under performed... and it killed them in the long run.
    Just because a QB is available in the first top 10, doesn't automatically make him a "franchise QB." I don't consider Leaf, Akili Smith, Mark Sanchez, Matthew Stafford to be "franchise QB's" either. You can still get a "franchise" QB in the later rounds. I don't see one that stands out this year.
    DRAFT WISHLIST
    1) BRYAN BULAGA - OT/IOWA
    2) JONATHON DWYER - RB/GA TECH
    3) JASON WORILDS - OLB/ VA. TECH
    4) TORRELL TROUP - NT/CENTRAL FLORIDA

Comment

• ZAZusmc03
      • Jan 2010

Don't want anything to do with Clausen.

Comment

• TrEd FTW
        • Sep 2008

The problem with this is that, in many people's eyes, there certainly will not be an elite QB available at No. 9. Whether Buddy Nix feels Clausen is a franchise player, we'll see, but don't just use a first-rounder on a QB for the sake of doing it.

Comment

• Mr. Pink
          Peterman Sucks!
          • Mar 2006

Tim Couch was a "franchise" QB too.

You list Jason Peters I can counter that with Kurt Warner.

Comment

• better days
            • Jan 2010

Originally posted by SirMcGee
            Just because a QB is available in the first top 10, doesn't automatically make him a "franchise QB." I don't consider Leaf, Akili Smith, Mark Sanchez, Matthew Stafford to be "franchise QB's" either. You can still get a "franchise" QB in the later rounds. I don't see one that stands out this year.
            While I agree with what you are saying, I think the jury is still out on Sanchez & Stafford. They both may end up being franchise QB's. I think the Lions are going to be much improved this year, but they play in a very tough division.

Comment

• Philagape
              WIN NOW
              • Jul 2002

You take the best player on your board.

If, for example, Bulaga is a better LT than Clausen is a QB -- and a lot of people think that -- you take Bulaga.
              The chances of finding good players in later rounds is not significantly different for different positions. Every position has high busts, every position has late finds.
              "It is better to be divided by truth than to be united by error." -- Martin Luther

"Those who appease the crocodile will simply be eaten last." -- Winston Churchill

2003 BZ Pick Em Champion
              2004 BZ Big Money League Champion

Comment

• better days
                • Jan 2010

Originally posted by Philagape
                You take the best player on your board.

If, for example, Bulaga is a better LT than Clausen is a QB -- and a lot of people think that -- you take Bulaga.
                The chances of finding good players in later rounds is not significantly different for different positions. Every position has high busts, every position has late finds.
                I agree with you. But what about Spiller? He may be higher rated than both Bulaga & Clausen.

Comment

• DraftBoy
                  Administrator
                  • Jul 2002

These threads make no sense, its hard to find a franchise player at any position.
                  COMING SOON...
                  Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
                  We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• better days
                    • Jan 2010

Originally posted by DraftBoy
                    These threads make no sense, its hard to find a franchise player at any position.
                    I think that is the point of this thread. Should a team pass on a player projected to be a pro bowl player at his position for years to draft a position of need? I think you take the best player.

Comment

• DraftBoy
                      Administrator
                      • Jul 2002

Originally posted by better days
                      I think that is the point of this thread. Should a team pass on a player projected to be a pro bowl player at his position for years to draft a position of need? I think you take the best player.

Its a combination imo.

I called it a weighted need system. You have your needs obviously ranked and use that against your big board to see who you should take. For instance I have Dez Bryant as my #5 overall player on my BB. But do I think that Washington should take him after spending two previous high picks on Malcolm Kelly and Devin Thomas? No because I dont think its a huge need for them.

I think its a weighted system, mine trends more to BPA, but not completely.
                      COMING SOON...
                      Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
                      We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• Philagape
                        WIN NOW
                        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by better days
                        I agree with you. But what about Spiller? He may be higher rated than both Bulaga & Clausen.
                        That's why I said "your board" ... teams' boards may be different based on their needs.
                        But the Bills have so many needs that almost any position is in play.

I wouldn't object to Spiller because the Bills do need playmakers. If the Bills have Spiller higher on their board, yes, they should take him.
                        "It is better to be divided by truth than to be united by error." -- Martin Luther

"Those who appease the crocodile will simply be eaten last." -- Winston Churchill

2003 BZ Pick Em Champion
                        2004 BZ Big Money League Champion

Comment

• THATHURMANATOR
                          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by FunTimesYaY!
                          Tim Couch was a "franchise" QB too.

You list Jason Peters I can counter that with Kurt Warner.
                          I would have to think that the percentages of Great QB's drafted late is FAR smaller than the percentage of Great Tackles drafted late.......

Comment

• madness
                            • Apr 2003

Originally posted by Dying_-2-_Live
                            What is easier to find... a franchise QB ( Bradford / Clausen ) or a serviceable tackle?

Why would you think it would be easier to find a franchise QB?

Comment

• Dying_-2-_Live
                              • Feb 2009

Originally posted by madness
                              Why would you think it would be easier to find a franchise QB?
                              Whoops... typo sorry
                              "If you ain't first... You're last"

Comment

Working...
                              X