PDA

View Full Version : Why draft Clausen when Brohm has same potential

BuffaloBlitz83
03-18-2010, 12:40 PM
I feel if Bradford is there, yes go for it.

But I think Brian Brohm has the same chance of success or busting as Jimmy Clausen. We already have Brohm on the roster. Therefore draft the Kindle, Dan Williams, Baluga, or Spiller. I prefer passing on Williams because at 9 that is a huge stretch. Williams should go 20-30. If Okung drops that would be super!

Dr. Lecter
03-18-2010, 12:55 PM
How do you figure that?

Brohm has already had a shot and failed. Certainly he could succeed, but that is highly unlikely.

And I do NOT want Clausen, but the potential of each is not equal.

T-Long
03-18-2010, 12:58 PM
If Clausen is there at 9, I would seriously be pissed if he wasn't the pick. If that scenario happens, that means 3 or 4 tackles have already been taken, and I don't want the 4th best tackle at pick 9...that's just crazy.

Clausen, Bryant, Spiller are all playmakers that this offense needs. But the NT position is so important, it's hard to know what the FO feels about the guys they have. With the signing of Edwards, I can now see them bypassing Dan Williams at 9. Stroud can definitely play the nose, but he doesn't want to. Boo hoo. Get your ass in there and take your beating so our LB's can make the plays.

BuffaloBlitz83
03-18-2010, 12:59 PM
How do you figure that?

Brohm has already had a shot and failed. Certainly he could succeed, but that is highly unlikely.

He has had 1 career start. He was drafted as Aaron Rodgers back up.

BuffaloBlitz83
03-18-2010, 01:02 PM
The only QB I think is worthy of a 1st round drafting is Bradford. I'd pass on Jimmy and Tebow even at 20.

better days
03-18-2010, 01:02 PM
How do you figure that?

I don't think Brohm has really had a shot yet. The Packers already had Rodgers when he was drafted. The Pack decided to only carry two QB's on the roster & felt the other guy was more prepared for the back up spot than Brohm, but that does not mean they felt he was a bust.

The Packers wanted to keep him when the Bills took him. I think he has as good a chance as anyone on the roster or a draft pick to be the starter next year.

BuffaloBlitz83
03-18-2010, 01:03 PM
I don't think Brohm has really had a shot yet. The Packers already had Rodgers when he was drafted. The Pack decided to only carry two QB's on the roster & felt the other guy was more prepared for the back up spot than Brohm, but that does not mean they felt he was a bust.

The Packers wanted to keep him when the Bills took him. I think he has as good a chance as anyone on the roster or a draft pick to be the starter next year.

Exactly

T-Long
03-18-2010, 01:03 PM
Tony Pike or Colt McCoy and Dan LeFevour are options in Round 2 as well, because Bradford, Clausen and Tebow will all be gone by the time we are on the clock in Round 2.

OpIv37
03-18-2010, 01:04 PM
He has had 1 career start. He was drafted as Aaron Rodgers back up.

Once again, how do you figure that someone who was drafted to back up a back up and never cracked an NFL roster has the same potential as someone who put up huge college stats and is projected to go early in the first round?

I'm with Lecter- I don't want Clausen to be the pick at 9, but his potential is far greater than Brohm's at this point.

Prov401
03-18-2010, 01:04 PM
Firstly I'd like to say, if we draft Clausen, I have zero faith in our organization. The guy is going to have a career like Tim Couch.

Secondly, Brohm has never gotten a chance. He's never been in a QB battle. He's never been told, "Hey Brian, the job is up for grabs". He came into the Packers organization behind Aaron Rodgers, who IMO will win a Superbowl one day. He never got a chance to start. Now that he's with us, he has that chance. I'm not saying he's going to turn out to be Tom Brady, but if he can beat out Trent and Fitz (wich shouldn't be that tough), then we can say he's gotten his chance.

To me it seems the Bills are going the NYJ route this year. Wer'e going to pound the rock, and play solid D. I'd build our D through the draft this year, and somehow try to fill the LT gap in the 2nd round.

Forward_Lateral
03-18-2010, 01:05 PM
I think LeFevour fits Chan's offense better than any of them.

Prov401
03-18-2010, 01:05 PM
The only QB I think is worthy of a 1st round drafting is Bradford. I'd pass on Jimmy and Tebow even at 20.

Definitely.

BuffaloBlitz83
03-18-2010, 01:10 PM
Once again, how do you figure that someone who was drafted to back up a back up and never cracked an NFL roster has the same potential as someone who put up huge college stats and is projected to go early in the first round?

I'm with Lecter- I don't want Clausen to be the pick at 9, but his potential is far greater than Brohm's at this point.

Brohm was still drafted in first round. GB took him to be QB of future and security if Aaron couldn't handle job. Aaron handled the job perfectly. Also Brohm had a very successful college career. Don't make it out like he was Jevon Snead 2009.

T-Long
03-18-2010, 01:12 PM
Brohm was still drafted in first round. GB took him to be QB of future and security if Aaron couldn't handle job. Aaron handled the job perfectly. Also Brohm had a very successful college career. Don't make it out like he was Jevon Snead 2009.
Brohm was a 2nd round pick if I'm not mistaken.

Prov401

Agree. Except Brohm was drafted in the 2nd.

Thurmal
What is the obsession with Brohm? If he was even a remotely average NFL QB, he probably wouldn't have been on the practice squad in GB.

Why do so many people this guy can start, let alone make the team, next year?

better days
03-18-2010, 01:13 PM

When the Pack drafted Brohm, they still were not sure about Rodgers as a starter. The fact that they took him in the 2nd rnd says they thought he had potential as a starter, & he still does.

I think we will find out about him one way or the other this summer.

T-Long
03-18-2010, 01:14 PM
What is the obsession with Brohm? If he was even a remotely average NFL QB, he probably wouldn't have been on the practice squad in GB.

because he is the new guy, that's why. The other options were Edwards and Fitz, and then a guy we claimed who lit it up at Louisville. Of course people are going to want that guy to start over the two dummies we have now.

OpIv37
03-18-2010, 01:16 PM

Brohm got beat out by MATT FLYNN for a roster spot, and you're trying to argue that he has as much potential as Clausen? That's insane. Don't make it out like he's Tom Brady, just sitting on the bench waiting for his chance.

Prov401
03-18-2010, 01:17 PM

Why do so many people not think it?

He's never gotten a chance. If he does get his chance, and fails, then we know for sure that he isn't what we were hoping for.

However, the guy is a 2nd round pick, believed to have had the best mechanics in his class draft, and sat behind Aaron Rodgers for a couple of years. It's not like were talking about a 5th round pick who was drafted 6 years ago. Wer'e talking about a young kid who practically just came out of college.

Philagape
03-18-2010, 01:35 PM
The fact that he was passed by Matt Flynn and put in a position where they lost him for nothing makes everything that came before that irrelevant.

Great college career? I don't care. Matt Flynn.
Second round? I don't care. Matt Flynn.
Potential QB of the future? I don't care. Matt Flynn.
Aaron Rodgers ahead of him? I don't care. Matt Flynn got ahead of him, too.

SirMcGee
03-18-2010, 01:37 PM
You guys need to let Brohm go. He's not a starter in this league.

SquishDaFish
03-18-2010, 01:51 PM
I think JC is going to be a better QB in the NFL then Bradford.

better days
03-18-2010, 02:03 PM
You guys need to let Brohm go. He's not a starter in this league.

If Nix did not think he had the potential to start for the Bills then I don't think he would be a Bill now. Brohm may suck....we will find out, Edwards & Fitzpatrick we already know suck. Chan said the QB job is wide open so he has as good a chance as either of those two.

SirMcGee
03-18-2010, 02:20 PM
Why do so many people not think it?

He's never gotten a chance. If he does get his chance, and fails, then we know for sure that he isn't what we were hoping for.

However, the guy is a 2nd round pick, believed to have had the best mechanics in his class draft, and sat behind Aaron Rodgers for a couple of years. It's not like were talking about a 5th round pick who was drafted 6 years ago. Wer'e talking about a young kid who practically just came out of college.

Does it really matter what round he was drafted in? This has NOTHING to do with this. Even last year through all our QB struggles, where was he? He was nowhere to be found because he's not ready to start in this league. Get over Brohm already.

better days
03-18-2010, 02:50 PM
Does it really matter what round he was drafted in? This has NOTHING to do with this. Even last year through all our QB struggles, where was he? He was nowhere to be found because he's not ready to start in this league. Get over Brohm already.

Well for MOST of last year, he was on the Packers practice squad. It was not until Dick was fired & the plug was pulled on Trent that the Bills acquired him.

Brohm will compete for the starters job this summer, we will find out if he is ready to start then.

Ron Burgundy
03-18-2010, 02:59 PM
The fact that he was passed by Matt Flynn and put in a position where they lost him for nothing makes everything that came before that irrelevant.

Great college career? I don't care. Matt Flynn.
Second round? I don't care. Matt Flynn.
Potential QB of the future? I don't care. Matt Flynn.
Aaron Rodgers ahead of him? I don't care. Matt Flynn got ahead of him, too.

:10:

BuffaloBlitz83
03-18-2010, 03:27 PM
How about we give Brohm a shot before you shut door

Philagape
03-18-2010, 03:49 PM
How about we give Brohm a shot before you shut door

Well the door's wiiiiiiiiiiiide open right now ... the next step is a craigslist ad.

JCBills
03-18-2010, 03:55 PM
Most QBs need a few seasons to become NFL ready, people seem to ignore that since Matt Ryan's rookie season, but a good amount of the best QBs rode the pine for a while.

JCBills
03-18-2010, 03:56 PM

He was on the team for 5 weeks, not exactly a lot of time to learn a new playbook. Sorry but that's a comedic argument.

PromoTheRobot
03-18-2010, 04:00 PM

Well didn't Brohm put up huge numbers in college and was projected as a 1st rounder too?. If Brohm were in the 2010 draft you'd be slobbering over him.

PTR

Philagape
03-18-2010, 04:06 PM
If Brohm were in the 2010 draft you'd be slobbering over him.

What is the point of this?
This is a discussion of actual events in this space-time continuum.

JCBills
03-18-2010, 04:19 PM
What is the point of this?
This is a discussion of actual events in this space-time continuum.

To compare them through the only thing we can, college performance.

That being said, college performance has proven to mean little, so we can't really compare them.

Philagape
03-18-2010, 04:37 PM
To compare them through the only thing we can, college performance.

That being said, college performance has proven to mean little, so we can't really compare them.

That isn't the only thing.

In the NFL, one of them was surpassed by a fellow, much-lower drafted rookie, then put in a position where another team could and did get him for free.
That's a huge strike against him.

more cowbell
03-18-2010, 05:31 PM
Just because the guy was a second round pick it doesn't mean he has the "potential" to start in the NFL. He had a good college career, but unfortunatley he has been put in a situation to fail with both the Packers and Bills.

The fact that he seemed somewhat "composed" in his first ever start against the Falcons this past year is encouraging I suppose...but the guy was placed on a the practice squad for a reason.

ANY OTHER TEAM in the NFL could have plucked this guy off the Packers practice squad during any point of the season...and we did only when we were desperate for QB depth...to me that speaks for itself

JCBills
03-18-2010, 06:00 PM
That isn't the only thing.

In the NFL, one of them was surpassed by a fellow, much-lower drafted rookie, then put in a position where another team could and did get him for free.
That's a huge strike against him.

I don't feel like finding the list of dominant players that were cut early in their career, but it happens.

SirMcGee
03-18-2010, 06:05 PM
He was on the team for 5 weeks, not exactly a lot of time to learn a new playbook. Sorry but that's a comedic argument.

Oooh. this coming from a guy who thinks that David Garrard is the 2nd best QB in the league. Sorry.

ZAZusmc03
03-18-2010, 06:17 PM
You know, I'm just happy I'm not a raiders fan. I'd rather have brohm starting then Russell. According to pft, he showed up to voluntary workouts at 271 lbs. Lol. I know its off topic, just found it amusing.

JCBills
03-18-2010, 06:21 PM
Oooh. this coming from a guy who thinks that David Garrard is the 2nd best QB in the league. Sorry.
Considering your only arguments are based on putting words in the mouths of others (let me know where I said, because I didn't) and lack of comprehension (QBs do more than just throw the ball, and junk time stats are factored in, but you obviously can't grasp that), thanks for continuously providing laughs.

Philagape
03-18-2010, 06:26 PM
I don't feel like finding the list of dominant players that were cut early in their career, but it happens.

The more relevant fact would be the percentage of cut-early players who became "dominant." The extremely rare exceptions do not justify the reasoning.

SirMcGee
03-18-2010, 06:33 PM
Considering your only arguments are based on putting words in the mouths of others (let me know where I said, because I didn't) and lack of comprehension (QBs do more than just throw the ball, and junk time stats are factored in, but you obviously can't grasp that), thanks for continuously providing laughs.

No its ok if you think David Garrard is the 2nd best QB and Malcolm Floyd is a top 10 WR. According to your oh so great source. It's cool. I'll let it go.

JCBills
03-18-2010, 07:40 PM
No its ok if you think David Garrard is the 2nd best QB and Malcolm Floyd is a top 10 WR. According to your oh so great source. It's cool. I'll let it go.
Lol I love how even though I've explained it to you in so many ways, you continue to cling to ignorance. From what I can tell, in your mind, it doesn't matter if a player racks up numbers in junk time. Apparently a play's impact on the game has no relevance.

Also, according to your projected way of thinking, how many snaps a player plays will have no effect on performance, nor should it have an impact on how they are viewed. This all of course according to you.

But it's obvious that certain web sites exist solely to make certain players look better than they are, I'm convinced that's what you're saying. Yep, they actually pull names out of a hat, and sprinkle a few of them into the top 10. In 2008, Garrard was lucky enough to have his name drawn. Poz has been lucky two years in a row, it must be a shallow hat.

better days
03-18-2010, 07:42 PM
Just because the guy was a second round pick it doesn't mean he has the "potential" to start in the NFL. He had a good college career, but unfortunatley he has been put in a situation to fail with both the Packers and Bills.

The fact that he seemed somewhat "composed" in his first ever start against the Falcons this past year is encouraging I suppose...but the guy was placed on a the practice squad for a reason.

ANY OTHER TEAM in the NFL could have plucked this guy off the Packers practice squad during any point of the season...and we did only when we were desperate for QB depth...to me that speaks for itself

Well if the Packers did not feel he had the potential to start in the NFL why would they use a 2nd rnd pick on him? There are GOOD players to be had in the 2nd rnd & back ups can be drafted in the later rnds. If they thought he was a wasted draft pick, why did they try to retain him when the Bills took him?

Philagape
03-18-2010, 07:49 PM
Well if the Packers did not feel he had the potential to start in the NFL why would they use a 2nd rnd pick on him? There are GOOD players to be had in the 2nd rnd & back ups can be drafted in the later rnds. If they thought he was a wasted draft pick, why did they try to retain him when the Bills took him?

Why did they put him on the PS in the first place?
Why did they keep a seventh-rounder from the same class over him?

Where he was drafted is now irrelevant. What he does in the NFL is all that matters.

bigdog72ny
03-18-2010, 07:50 PM
im willing to give brohm a chance ,just not convinced he can do anything with that chance.i dont believ he will ever be anything but a career back up

better days
03-18-2010, 08:27 PM
Why did they put him on the PS in the first place?
Why did they keep a seventh-rounder from the same class over him?

Where he was drafted is now irrelevant. What he does in the NFL is all that matters.

I thought we have been over this but OK. They felt the 7th rnder was more ready to be a BACK UP in the NFL. Because they felt they needed the roster spot for a position player, they decided to only carry TWO QB's on the active roster, hence the need to put him on the PS.

Dr. Lecter
03-18-2010, 08:37 PM
I thought we have been over this but OK. They felt the 7th rnder was more ready to be a BACK UP in the NFL. Because they felt they needed the roster spot for a position player, they decided to only carry TWO QB's on the active roster, hence the need to put him on the PS.

And no other NFL team wanted Brohm and when GB knew they were losing him, they let him go.

Dude is not a NFL starting QB.

Philagape
03-18-2010, 08:42 PM

That doesn't answer the question. Why wasn't Brohm the No. 2 guy?

Putting a guy on the PS means a team knows it might lose him. It's practically the same as just cutting him. If a guy has so much potential at the most important position, you don't risk that.

better days
03-18-2010, 10:28 PM
And no other NFL team wanted Brohm and when GB knew they were losing him, they let him go.

Dude is not a NFL starting QB.

They had NO CHOICE but to let him go. They tried to keep him, but he CHOSE to come to Buffalo.

We will find out if he is or isn't a starting QB this year. I don't understand why some people don't want to give him a chance & see what he has. He is already on the roster so it is not going to cost anything to find out. We already KNOW Trent is not a starting QB, yet a few people on this board would like to see him start.

Philagape
03-18-2010, 10:42 PM
This thread's comparison wasn't to Edwards or Fitz. It was to Clausen.

Brohm's in contention already, by default, because there isn't a sure starter on the roster.
The issue presented was whether Brohm's presence makes drafting Clausen -- or, hypothetically, any high-profile QB -- unnecessary.

And the Packers could have chosen to keep Brohm instead of a third-stringer at another position. They could have chosen Brohm to be No. 2 instead of Flynn. They chose not to.

JCBills
03-18-2010, 11:11 PM
That doesn't answer the question. Why wasn't Brohm the No. 2 guy?

Putting a guy on the PS means a team knows it might lose him. It's practically the same as just cutting him. If a guy has so much potential at the most important position, you don't risk that.
If we're just going to speculate, well...

Rodgers was a 1st rounder, he was obviously sitting behind Favre soaking up the godliness. Rodgers was set to start in 08, and with the investment they have made in him, it's not unreasonable to say they could have drafted Brohm as added motivation for Rodgers, him seeing his team take a QB early sends a message. If that's the case, it paid off. Once Rodgers was proven legit, GB removes the message from contention to clear anything from the back of Rodgers head.

Just speculation of course, lol.

Man I need the draft to happen I'm so bored.

Prov401
03-19-2010, 12:32 AM

Take a breath Mrs. Mcgee, this is a forum.

It doesn't matter what round he was drafted in, if that was the case John McCargo would be a pro bowl player. What does matter is he was highly regarded as a QB with all the right tools coming out of college. Explain to me how he got his chance last season? He came in with a little over a month left. Perry Fewell stuck with Fitz for the sake of building his own resume'. Then once Trent and Fitz got injured, Fewell had no choice but to start Brohm. None of your business who I root for, I don't have to 'get over' anybody. Maybe Brohm will turn out to be a pizza delivery man in 3 years for all I know. All I'm saying is, I'd take a chance with Brohm, rather than take some punk ass Charlie Weis expirement from Notre Dame with the 9th pick in this years draft, when more pressing needs can be made elsewhere.

kernowboy
03-19-2010, 05:16 AM
If we take Clausen this year at No9, with the amount rookies get paid it means we will automatically give up on a QB selection next year.

Even with a reasonable QB there is a strong likelihood we'll be drafting in the Top15 if not the Top10 and if we can fix the outstanding elements of the roster this year with effective drafting, we can even afford to look to move up next year.

Even discounting Jake Locker, there will be QBs such as Pat Devlin, Ryan Mallett, Blaine Gabbert and maybe even Andrew Luck available, and I would prefer to see any of these guys behind center in 2011 than Clausen. In this regard I'd much prefer giving Brohm a longer look than blowing the franchises future on Clausen

OpIv37
03-19-2010, 08:30 AM
Well didn't Brohm put up huge numbers in college and was projected as a 1st rounder too?. If Brohm were in the 2010 draft you'd be slobbering over him.

PTR

Absolutely not. And I'm not slobbering over Clausen or Bradford either. I don't want either one at 9.

And this is coming from a Notre Dame fan. I watched every game Clausen ever played in college and I'm not convinced he has the tools for the NFL. And even if he does, we have no OL and no WR's, so he wouldn't be successful in Buffalo.

All I'm saying is that it's absurd to say a QB who was drafted in the second round, beat out for a roster spot by Matt Flynn, and given away for nothing on waivers has as much potential as Clausen.

Ron Burgundy
03-19-2010, 08:40 AM
It's pretty much a lock that Clausen will be drafted in the first two rounds. Most likely the first round, but certainly in the first two.

So, if Brohm's potential is equal to Clausen's, then we should be able to get a second rounder (at least) for Brohm.

Start hitting the phones, Nix, we could use that extra pick!

Ron Burgundy
03-19-2010, 08:44 AM
I also have to compliment the Bills brass on picking up such a talent-laden prospect with a high trade value for absolutely nothing last year. Very impressive. Particularly given the amount of competition for his services, when it became known that a guy like Brohm was an actual option, rather than just a beautiful dream.

TigerJ
03-19-2010, 08:54 AM
I am not in the "draft Clausen" camp, though I could understand why if the Bills did draft him. My reasoning has more to do with all the other needs than with Brohm. I do like what Brohm brings to the table. He has a decent arm, he's smart and he's a football junkie. I think what happened to him in Green Bay is a little like what happened to Trent Edwards. He had a loss of confidence. He never got to the point that Trent Edwards did, having earned the starting position, and started several games. In Brohm's case, it happened, according to his own testimony with a single bad throw. In Trent's case, it seems to have happened with a bad game versus Cleveland a year and a half ago. There was also his extreme admiration of Dick Jauron, which led him to start thinking like Jauron in his hyperconservative ways.

Brohm has recognized what happened to him, and says at least that he has learned he needs to have a short memory. With a change of scenery in coming to Buffalo, maybe he really can turn things around with a second chance. Maybe Edwards can too. I've never heard Trent admit to having experienced a loss of confidence or changing his mind abbout the wisdom of hyperconservativism in terms of throwing the football, but maybe with the complete change in offensive coaching staff and system this will be the fresh start he needs too.

The problem is when you're betting on an entire football season, and maybe your careers as GM and coach in Buffalo (Nix and Gailey) you really shouldn't put all your eggs in one basket (or maybe two baskets in this case) because having failed once both these guys might fail again. I think Buffalo does need to acquire a third QB who has at least a chance to be a winner as a starter. I don't put Fitzpatrick in that category. Fitz doesn't have a lack of confidence. He has accuracy and consistency issues that have dogged him through several different teams and coaching staffs. I don't think they are going to go away, and I think they are an insurmountable obstacle between him and the possibility of ever being a winning starting QB.

SirMcGee
03-19-2010, 09:55 AM
Take a breath Mrs. Mcgee, this is a forum.

It doesn't matter what round he was drafted in, if that was the case John McCargo would be a pro bowl player. What does matter is he was highly regarded as a QB with all the right tools coming out of college. Explain to me how he got his chance last season? He came in with a little over a month left. Perry Fewell stuck with Fitz for the sake of building his own resume'. Then once Trent and Fitz got injured, Fewell had no choice but to start Brohm. None of your business who I root for, I don't have to 'get over' anybody. Maybe Brohm will turn out to be a pizza delivery man in 3 years for all I know. All I'm saying is, I'd take a chance with Brohm, rather than take some punk ass Charlie Weis expirement from Notre Dame with the 9th pick in this years draft, when more pressing needs can be made elsewhere.

Your post makes no sense. First of all you're agreeing with me. I guess comprehension isn't your strong point. I stated "what difference does it make what round you're drafted in? it shouldn't matter." Then you told me to take a breath and sarcastically stated that McCargo should be a pro bowler because he was a 1st round pick. Meaning you agreed with what i said.

wow.

SirMcGee
03-19-2010, 09:57 AM
I don't want the Bills to "SETTLE" in drafting a QB that isn't good just because we need a QB. I want the Bills to step back and look at the BIG PICTURE (Next year's QB class). If we were smart, we'd trade a 2nd and 6th for somebody like Kolb or just wait til next year to get a QB.

mightysimi
03-19-2010, 11:38 AM
I don't want the Bills to "SETTLE" in drafting a QB that isn't good just because we need a QB. I want the Bills to step back and look at the BIG PICTURE (Next year's QB class). If we were smart, we'd trade a 2nd and 6th for somebody like Kolb or just wait til next year to get a QB.

Philly would want 2 1st round picks for Kolb. That's pretty much what Seattle was told. They would probably give up McNabb for 1 though.

better days
03-19-2010, 11:48 AM
Philly would want 2 1st round picks for Kolb. That's pretty much what Seattle was told. They would probably give up McNabb for 1 though.

The Eagles are Nuts, they want a 2nd for Vick.

better days
03-19-2010, 11:56 AM
This thread's comparison wasn't to Edwards or Fitz. It was to Clausen.

Brohm's in contention already, by default, because there isn't a sure starter on the roster.
The issue presented was whether Brohm's presence makes drafting Clausen -- or, hypothetically, any high-profile QB -- unnecessary.

And the Packers could have chosen to keep Brohm instead of a third-stringer at another position. They could have chosen Brohm to be No. 2 instead of Flynn. They chose not to.

You are right about the Packers, but maybe Brohm will turn out like Steve Tasker, a player the Bills were fortunate to pick up that the other team really did not want to lose that goes on to have a great career.

SirMcGee
03-19-2010, 12:08 PM
You are right about the Packers, but maybe Brohm will turn out like Steve Tasker, a player the Bills were fortunate to pick up that the other team really did not want to lose that goes on to have a great career.

You're comparing a QB to a special teams specialist? Think about that.

T-Long
03-19-2010, 12:25 PM
I'm all for trading for Kolb...I think he is the best backup out there who is ready to play now. Problem is, if the rumors are correct, it would take two firsts. The Bills aren't in a position to trade away two first rounders for Kolb. That's just crazy. A 1st and a 3rd I could live with for sure, but not two firsts.

There obviously isn't anything else out there in free agency for a starting QB, so either we go with the three stooges we have, or draft Clausen. I honestly don't see any other options at this point.

better days
03-19-2010, 12:26 PM
You're comparing a QB to a special teams specialist? Think about that.

I understand, TOTALLY different positions, but similar circumstances. The Oilers did not want to lose Tasker just as the Packers did not want to lose Brohm.

feldspar
03-19-2010, 12:53 PM
I wouldn't discount Brohm just because he was put on Green Bay's practice squad and Matt Flynn beat him out. The person that made that move wasn't God. Mistakes are made all the time in this league. The Bills fired Bill Polian and let Pat Williams go...just stupid. A better example would be Brett Favre. Atlanta TRADED him after one year. In Atlanta, Favre's first pass was incercepted for a touchdown. He attempted four passes, completed none, and two were intercepted...that's half of his attempts that went for INTs.

All I'm saying is that you never know. Undrafted players can become All-Pro players, and they do. Jason Peters and Freddie Jackson went undrafted, so it's not like it's always obvious who the most talented football players are, even to the so-called experts. EVERYBODY did not recognize the potential of Jason Peters. If they had, he would have gone in the first round - but he was totally overlooked. I know he switched positions, but that's beside the point. There are plenty that didn't. Tom Brady was picked in the sixth round...Joe Montana in the third. Kurt Warner had to make his way into the NFL through the Arena League and only got a shot when Trent Green got hurt.

On the other hand, you have players picked very high that have no business even being on a pro team. Mike Williams fourth overall, anyone? Time Couch, first overall and now out of the league. JaMarcus Russell? Child, please.

Again, you just never know, especially since college football is entirely different from pro football. They are two entirely different things. Then there are wildcards such as which team a player is picked to be on and how much help they get to be successful there.

I'm not going to sit here and say that Brohm should start because he was good in college and that his name isn't Fitzpatrick or Edwards. I don't care what happened to him in Green Bay too much, either. They could have been wrong in doing what they did, and don't forget that they wanted to keep him. Practice and real games are two completely different things as well. Rob Johnson was great in practice and sucked in real games. Brohm never even played in a real game in Green Bay. I wanted to see more of him last year...I really think he should have started against the Colt's scrubs in the last game.

The only real way to find out what kind of starter he is would be to start him for more than just one game. All the rest is speculation.

BTW, I don't like Jimmy Clausen's face. It's all scruntched up and begs to be hit. He looks like a rat, a weasel, or any number of different rodents.

Prov401
03-19-2010, 12:56 PM
Your post makes no sense. First of all you're agreeing with me. I guess comprehension isn't your strong point. I stated "what difference does it make what round you're drafted in? it shouldn't matter." Then you told me to take a breath and sarcastically stated that McCargo should be a pro bowler because he was a 1st round pick. Meaning you agreed with what i said.

wow.

I'm guessing comprehension IS your strong point. I WAS agreeing with you. I was also showing you that your putting words in my mouth. I never said anything about QB's or players in general having tremendous careers because they were drafted in the first round. This thread reads "Why draft Clausen when Brohm has same potential". I've given valid points. Your just arguing.

wow.

JCBills
03-19-2010, 03:53 PM
I'm guessing comprehension IS your strong point. I WAS agreeing with you. I was also showing you that your putting words in my mouth. I never said anything about QB's or players in general having tremendous careers because they were drafted in the first round. This thread reads "Why draft Clausen when Brohm has same potential". I've given valid points. Your just arguing.

wow.

Oh no, that's when he starts to feel threatened and becomes aggressive, like a cornered animal. Don't feed the idiots, they just keep clamoring.

SirMcGee
03-19-2010, 03:57 PM
I understand, TOTALLY different positions, but similar circumstances. The Oilers did not want to lose Tasker just as the Packers did not want to lose Brohm.

No...It's not just different positions. This is QB and Special Teams. This iss completely different circumstances.

SirMcGee
03-19-2010, 03:58 PM
Oh no, that's when he starts to feel threatened and becomes aggressive, like a cornered animal. Don't feed the idiots, they just keep clamoring.

No that's not how i act when i feel threatened. I was just repeating the fact that you agree with your site...and if you say that Garrard is the 2nd best QB in the league. Then OK. More power to you. :tip:

better days
03-19-2010, 04:12 PM
No...It's not just different positions. This is QB and Special Teams. This iss completely different circumstances.

No it's the positions that are different, the circumstances are the same. How can you argue that? Answer, you can't successfully.

Ron Burgundy
03-19-2010, 04:27 PM
No it's the positions that are different, the circumstances are the same. How can you argue that? Answer, you can't successfully.

I can.

A) Steve Tasker's circumstances: Steve Tasker became a Pro Bowler and Hall of Fame candidate. I have no idea if the Oilers really wanted Tasker back, but I'm happy to take a look at whatever article you got that information from if you could link it.

B) 99.9% of all waived practice squad player's circumstances: May or may not get some teams interested, and no success.

Brian Brohm's circumstance: Unknown...but all signs point to B. Did the Pack really want Brohm? Maybe. I know they tried to re-sign him, but how hard did they really try? What kind of offer was it? I doubt they were heartbroken over it, as Matt Flynn has proved to be a better player thus far.

I mean, if they wanted Brohm, all they had to do was keep him on the roster.

Philagape
03-19-2010, 04:34 PM
I guess they don't need to draft a tackle because of Jamon Meredith then.
If Steve Tasker can go from PS to stardom, anyone can .....

better days
03-19-2010, 04:47 PM
I can.

A) Steve Tasker's circumstances: Steve Tasker became a Pro Bowler and Hall of Fame candidate. I have no idea if the Oilers really wanted Tasker back, but I'm happy to take a look at whatever article you got that information from if you could link it.

B) 99.9% of all waived practice squad player's circumstances: May or may not get some teams interested, and no success.

Brian Brohm's circumstance: Unknown...but all signs point to B. Did the Pack really want Brohm? Maybe. I know they tried to re-sign him, but how hard did they really try? What kind of offer was it? I doubt they were heartbroken over it, as Matt Flynn has proved to be a better player thus far.

A) It was widely reported back at that time if you were a Bills fan back then you knew about that. I'm sure there are many Bills fans on this board that can back me up on this. Yes Tasker became a Probowl player AFTER he became a Bill. That is my point. Brohm may do the same.

B) The fact few teams are interested in practice squad players is probably what the Packers were counting on. They thought they could stash him there without having to pay him much money while they developed him.

C) Even if you were correct, this is not an argument against what I said. Different positions, similar circumstances.

JCBills
03-19-2010, 04:52 PM
No that's not how i act when i feel threatened. I was just repeating the fact that you agree with your site...and if you say that Garrard is the 2nd best QB in the league. Then OK. More power to you. :tip:

Proving my homeboy's and my point, putting words in the mouths of others.

The only one who's said that is you, but please continue to fail to comprehend anything, it provides quality entertainment for the intelligent.

better days
03-19-2010, 04:54 PM
I guess they don't need to draft a tackle because of Jamon Meredith then.
If Steve Tasker can go from PS to stardom, anyone can .....

Anyone can, the Bills have a pretty good RB that was on the practice squad, but not everyone does. Jason Peters was active, but only because of special teams. Who knows Meredith may surprise.

JCBills
03-19-2010, 04:56 PM
Anyone can, the Bills have a pretty good RB that was on the practice squad, but not everyone does. Jason Peters was active, but only because of special teams. Who knows Meredith may surprise.

I think he already has, but the average fan doesn't watch OL play, they focus on the ball. He played well in limited action.

Ron Burgundy
03-19-2010, 05:11 PM
A) It was widely reported back at that time if you were a Bills fan back then you knew about that. I'm sure there are many Bills fans on this board that can back me up on this. Yes Tasker became a Probowl player AFTER he became a Bill. That is my point. Brohm may do the same.

B) The fact few teams are interested in practice squad players is probably what the Packers were counting on. They thought they could stash him there without having to pay him much money while they developed him.

C) Even if you were correct, this is not an argument against what I said. Different positions, similar circumstances.

a) Oh, I thought you were basing this off something you knew, not something you think you remember from 20 years back. Cool.

Brohm might do the same! Do you lie awake at night wondering if you might grow a third ball? Odds are probably similar to Brohm's eventually Pro Bowl status. Don't discount the possibility though, right?

b) Speculation, right on.

c) Similar, sure. The same? That's certainly not the case.

feldspar
03-19-2010, 05:12 PM
Did the Pack really want Brohm? Maybe. I know they tried to re-sign him, but how hard did they really try? What kind of offer was it? I doubt they were heartbroken over it, as Matt Flynn has proved to be a better player thus far.

The Packers have Aaron Rodgers, who is a top 5 quarterback in this league IMO. As far as I can remember, Matt Flynn hasn't played in Green Bay because Rodgers was never hurt. Maybe Flynn is just a better fit for the system Green Bay has in place, or somebody thought that. Then again, we don't know any of this since we've never seen Flynn play except for a few garbage plays. Somebody made a judgment call...maybe they were wrong, who knows?

The Packers obviously wanted to keep Brohm. I don't know the circumstances that led him to be on the practice squad. Maybe they needed to clear space on the roster because somebody got hurt. Things like that happen all the time. Had Rodgers gotten hurt, we would have a better idea of who the clear backup SHOULD be since Brohm would likely be added to the roster in that situation.

Again, this is all academic, since the bottom line is that it's possible that the Packers just plain made a mistake. Brohm hasn't had a chance to prove anything yet, either. It's kind of silly to judge him because someone else decided to put him on the practice squad. All we have with Brohm is questions with no answers.

Not all guys on NFL rosters belong there, and there are some guys that aren't on NFL rosters that belong there.

What I don't get is the conclusions that people jump too...Flynn sucks, and he "beat out" Brohm, so Brohm must suck even more. This is far from proven. We haven't really seen what either of these guys have in the NFL, so I think reserving judgment is in order.

Ron Burgundy
03-19-2010, 05:38 PM
Oh, it's the system. I shoulda known.

If Brohm were good enough to be the back up, I'd think that they'd, you know, make him the back up. I mean, I know Green Bay has made some mistakes with personnel in the past, but I kinda doubt they said "Hey, this guy Brohm is better than Flynn, but I think I'd rather have someone not as good as our backup. Stick him on the practice squad, nobody looks there to fill out a roster and we can just stash him for later stardom. We definitely want him back...his potential is through the roof, and maybe we'll change our system."

ZAZusmc03
03-19-2010, 05:44 PM
Lets be honest, This whole argument is moot. Ask yourself this question...

Would you rather have had Hamdan wasting space on our roster, or on the PS and had another serviceable lineman or linebacker this season. As far as i'm concerned, the Bills are morons for wasting a roster spot on a 3rd QB.

better days
03-19-2010, 05:54 PM
a) Oh, I thought you were basing this off something you knew, not something you think you remember from 20 years back. Cool.

Brohm might do the same! Do you lie awake at night wondering if you might grow a third ball? Odds are probably similar to Brohm's eventually Pro Bowl status. Don't discount the possibility though, right?

b) Speculation, right on.

c) Similar, sure. The same? That's certainly not the case.

A) I'm basing it on something I remember correctly from 20 years ago, and as I said I'm sure there must be someone else on the board that can back me up on this.

B) Seculaton, like much of all boards.

C) Similar, the same, both teams wanted to keep those players. So yeah that is the case.

If Clausen is there when the Bills pick at #9 I guess we will see what the Bills think of both him & Brohm.

Ron Burgundy
03-19-2010, 06:28 PM
A) I'm basing it on something I remember correctly from 20 years ago, and as I said I'm sure there must be someone else on the board that can back me up on this.

B) Seculaton, like much of all boards.

C) Similar, the same, both teams wanted to keep those players. So yeah that is the case.

If Clausen is there when the Bills pick at #9 I guess we will see what the Bills think of both him & Brohm.

I remember when the AD at Louisville told my buddy that Brian Brohm molests puppies and has Summer's Eve running through his veins instead of blood. I can produce several other people to back this up. Therefore, it is true. BECAUSE I REMEMBER IT, DAMNIT. Right.

Clausen's not the answer, either.

better days
03-19-2010, 06:50 PM
I remember when the AD at Louisville told my buddy that Brian Brohm molests puppies and has Summer's Eve running through his veins instead of blood. I can produce several other people to back this up. Therefore, it is true. BECAUSE I REMEMBER IT, DAMNIT. Right.

Clausen's not the answer, either.

Well you can go ask your Dad about it, as I said most Bills fans were aware of it.

mightysimi
03-21-2010, 09:54 AM
It is possible that some guys take longer to develop. SD thought so little of Brees that they drafted Rivers. I'm not saying that Brohm is the next Brees but that situation does happen.

HHURRICANE
03-21-2010, 09:59 AM
I doubt Brohm will be on the 53 man roster when we start the season.

Save this post.

If Brohm had any NFL ability he would have never been relegated to the practice squad in Green Bay where I think they have had a pretty good run on having solid QB play and evaluation.

Now I'm to believe that the Bills have somehow found a diamond in the rough. HAHAHA.

Name me the last castoff that ended up here and surprised us???

kernowboy
03-21-2010, 10:00 AM
As Clausen is not as good as some of the guys coming out next year.

Personally I like the look of Andrew Luck but if he doesn't declare I'd rather draft and go with Pat Devlin then Clausen who has comparatively underachieved.

kernowboy
03-21-2010, 10:05 AM

Save this post.

If Brohm had any NFL ability he would have never been relegated to the practice squad in Green Bay where I think they have had a pretty good run on having solid QB play and evaluation.

Now I'm to believe that the Bills have somehow found a diamond in the rough. HAHAHA.

1) The NFL is littered with great players released by the side who originally drafted them

2) A reason why Brohm might have gone on the practice squad is because the team did not want the hint of a QB controversy with Rogers looking over his shoulder. Once he'd stepped up they probably viewed drafting Brohm as an error

3) Some QBs learn different pro systems more easily than others. It is quite possible that Flynn played a very similar system at LSU whilst Brohm had far more to learn - therefore Flynn automatically had a better chance

4) The big question is - why draft two QBs in the same draft? Was it intended that Flynn was only ever considered a backup and due to other roster issues, the Packers tried to 'hide' Brohm on the practice squad?

HHURRICANE
03-21-2010, 10:32 AM
1) The NFL is littered with great players released by the side who originally drafted them

Again, I am to believe that the Bills, who have one of the worst runs of evaluating talent, has somehow picked up a player that is starting quality?

What FA have we picked up recently that surprised us? Like in the last ten years?

Albany,n.y.
03-21-2010, 10:47 AM
What a lot of you don't seem to get is that when Green Bay waived Brohm back in September, not 1 team of the remaining 31 thought enough of this former college star and one year removed from being a 2nd round pick to get him for free with a simple waiver claim. Every team in the NFL felt that he wasn't even worth dropping their 53rd man to give him a chance. Then, when Trent gets benched, the Bills see there's no need to keep his buddy Hamdan around, so they figure why not replace the guy with a guy who might have a better chance of being a backup than Hamdan-a guy who had been waived numerous times.
So, the Brohm dreamers believe that the Bills, with last year's "brain trust" in the front office, John Guy included, have outsmarted 30 other teams who A) Didn't put in a waiver claim for the guy in September & B) Never tried to get Brohm off Green Bay's PS prior to the Bills deal.
As far as the Packers wanting to keep him around, GB always wanted 3 QBs around. If one could be on the practice squad, so much the better. It's a lot easier if your "insurance" already knows your system. Their offer to keep him was nothing more than 3rd string insurance. Once Brohm left, the Packers moved on, and signed another QB to their PS. Then that guy left for another team's 53 man roster & they signed a another guy-who at the season's end signed onto their current roster. Trying to match the Bills doesn't show much on GB's part unless you're trying to make up excuses in your own mind why a guy rejected by the entire NFL for 2/3rds of the 2009 season can suddenly blossom into a starter in Buffalo.
Steve Tasker, a late round pick, didn't make it through waivers, he was claimed by the Bills. The reason he was on waivers in the 1st place was because there was a different set of rules for bringing injured players back than there currently are & Houston really was trying to sneak him through waivers, unlike Brohm, who was GB didn't care if they lost when they put him on waivers. Nobody tries to sneak a 2nd round pick, one year removed, through waivers if they truly want him around. There's a huge difference between trying to sneak late rounders on to practice squads or through waivers than day 1 picks. Even Kevin O'Connell, a QB taken in the 3rd round the same year as Brohm didn't make it through waivers & the Jets wanted him badly enough to trade a 7th for him to Detroit & keep him as the 4th stringer on their active roster. Just think-the league thinks more of Jets 4th stringer Kevin O'Connell than they do Brian Brohm-please let that sink in.

kernowboy
03-21-2010, 11:01 AM
At the start of the season, a team is unlikely to drop anyone from their own 53man roster especially as they've just spent all pre-season evaluating them for the season. You go with what you got.

And a player isn't necessarily rejected: a team signing him needs to make a place for him on the roster and undoubtedly there were teams who wanted him but decided other positions were a priority.

As for O'Connell, he was signed by Detroit but almost certainly with the notion of trading him quickly for a pick because they already had Stafford, Culpepper and Stanton on the roster. As for him becoming a 4th stringer it seems apparent the Jets wanted to bring in their own guys over Ainge and Clemens.

The League doesn't think more of a 4th stringer, only 1/32 teams do. And there are undoubtedly some 3rd stringers on some teams who are better than some 2nd stringers on others.

The moment the Bills got rid of Jauron, they started to have a look. It is reasonable to assume that Brohm was Nix's call and that he was brought is as one for the future.

The Packers essentially tried to carry 2 QBs not three, and it bit them. If they'd had the chance to keep Brohm, especially if Rogers went down then 10/10 times they would have.

Whilst people can say Brohm was rejected by the entire league, so was Kurt Warner, Matt Bulger, and Jake Delhomme.

And Matt Moore is someone who can easily be compared to Brohm and Moore is now considered a more than adequate starting NFL candidate.

HHURRICANE
03-21-2010, 11:08 AM
What a lot of you don't seem to get is that when Green Bay waived Brohm back in September, not 1 team of the remaining 31 thought enough of this former college star and one year removed from being a 2nd round pick to get him for free with a simple waiver claim. Every team in the NFL felt that he wasn't even worth dropping their 53rd man to give him a chance. Then, when Trent gets benched, the Bills see there's no need to keep his buddy Hamdan around, so they figure why not replace the guy with a guy who might have a better chance of being a backup than Hamdan-a guy who had been waived numerous times.
So, the Brohm dreamers believe that the Bills, with last year's "brain trust" in the front office, John Guy included, have outsmarted 30 other teams who A) Didn't put in a waiver claim for the guy in September & B) Never tried to get Brohm off Green Bay's PS prior to the Bills deal.
As far as the Packers wanting to keep him around, GB always wanted 3 QBs around. If one could be on the practice squad, so much the better. It's a lot easier if your "insurance" already knows your system. Their offer to keep him was nothing more than 3rd string insurance. Once Brohm left, the Packers moved on, and signed another QB to their PS. Then that guy left for another team's 53 man roster & they signed a another guy-who at the season's end signed onto their current roster. Trying to match the Bills doesn't show much on GB's part unless you're trying to make up excuses in your own mind why a guy rejected by the entire NFL for 2/3rds of the 2009 season can suddenly blossom into a starter in Buffalo.
Steve Tasker, a late round pick, didn't make it through waivers, he was claimed by the Bills. The reason he was on waivers in the 1st place was because there was a different set of rules for bringing injured players back than there currently are & Houston really was trying to sneak him through waivers, unlike Brohm, who was GB didn't care if they lost when they put him on waivers. Nobody tries to sneak a 2nd round pick, one year removed, through waivers if they truly want him around. There's a huge difference between trying to sneak late rounders on to practice squads or through waivers than day 1 picks. Even Kevin O'Connell, a QB taken in the 3rd round the same year as Brohm didn't make it through waivers & the Jets wanted him badly enough to trade a 7th for him to Detroit & keep him as the 4th stringer on their active roster. Just think-the league thinks more of Jets 4th stringer Kevin O'Connell than they do Brian Brohm-please let that sink in.

Great, well written post!!

I also stand by my statement that Brohm won't even be on the roster. If anyone watched him in pre-season in Green Bay or his one game as a Bill, that I attended, it's easy to see why he won't even survive camp.

Edwards, and Fitzpatrick, are both much, much, better QBs which sadly isn't saying much.

mightysimi
03-21-2010, 12:08 PM
I think the more realistic possibility is that the Jets wanted an Ex-Patriot who knew their offense rather than a 4th string QB.

better days
03-21-2010, 12:25 PM
Again, I am to believe that the Bills, who have one of the worst runs of evaluating talent, has somehow picked up a player that is starting quality?

What FA have we picked up recently that surprised us? Like in the last ten years?

You are right, the Bills have been horrible at evaluating talent, but that was before they brought back Buddy Nix. I believe he was responsable for the Bills getting Brohm.

You think Brohm will be cut, & Edwards will be the starter. Trent Edwards, the guy that lost his job to RYAN FITZPATRICK last year, the starter next year.

Dick Jauron is no longer the Bills HC. I think it is far more likely Brohm is the starter & Edwards is cut.

Dr. Lecter
03-21-2010, 12:51 PM

Fred Jackson? George Wilson? Jason Peters?

Tourettes Guy
03-21-2010, 09:51 PM
How do you figure that?

So 1 start on a putrid team with 1 week of prep is a shot?

Hope I get better shots than that.

JCBills
03-21-2010, 11:15 PM

Save this post.

Bryan Scott - 2008 (though he joined in 07)
Drayton Florence - 2009

I guess you could consider our UDFA developments castoffs too.