PDA

View Full Version : I doubt we are going to draft a LB high

User Manuel
03-19-2010, 11:00 AM
Unless a highly rated one falls in our lap in round 2-4.

I just see us as having too many other needs. My guess is we will see the following on opening day:

OLB - Maybin/Kelsey
MLB - Mitchell
MLB Davis/FA
OLB Poz/Ellison/Schobel

While it is possible a McClain or other highly rated backer could help, My guess is that the Bills view their corps as more set than we do. I think they intebnd to give Kelsey and Maybin the opportunity to fail before they look for additional help.

The Spaz
03-19-2010, 11:05 AM
I don't agree at all considering only 2 of those players have played in a 3-4 (Davis, Mitchell). I think Ellison should be gone as well as Buggs, Corto. The LB core needs to be revamped to fit the 3-4 scheme.

psubills62
03-19-2010, 11:21 AM
Unless a highly rated one falls in our lap in round 2-4.

I just see us as having too many other needs. My guess is we will see the following on opening day:

OLB - Maybin/Kelsey
MLB - Mitchell
MLB Davis/FA
OLB Poz/Ellison/Schobel

While it is possible a McClain or other highly rated backer could help, My guess is that the Bills view their corps as more set than we do. I think they intebnd to give Kelsey and Maybin the opportunity to fail before they look for additional help.

I wouldn't really agree with that. I don't think Keith Ellison has any place in the 3-4, and Posluszny is not a 3-4 OLB. I think it's more of the following:

OLB - Schobel/Maybin
ILB - Poz
ILB - Davis/Mitchell
OLB - Kelsay/Ellis

Also keep in mind that Davis was only signed for 2 years. I think they are planning on bringing a young ILB in to learn from him this year, maybe start next year with Davis as a veteran backup. We still need an OLB, though, because Kelsay isn't a good football player and Maybin/Ellis are both very unproven in any system.

OpIv37
03-19-2010, 11:29 AM
Ellison SHOULD be gone, but this is the Bills we are talking about. He's cheap and if they keep him, it's one less hole to fill in the draft or with existing FA's. I agree with the general sentiment that he doesn't fit the 3-4 and therefore doesn't really fill the hole, but that's not how the organization will see it.

psubills62
03-19-2010, 11:38 AM
Ellison SHOULD be gone, but this is the Bills we are talking about. He's cheap and if they keep him, it's one less hole to fill in the draft or with existing FA's. I agree with the general sentiment that he doesn't fit the 3-4 and therefore doesn't really fill the hole, but that's not how the organization will see it.

Agreed.

Considering all the voids this roster has, I guess I wouldn't mind keeping Ellison purely for special teams and an emergency reserve. But I have a feeling he could be easily replaced by some UDFA ILB's this year. To me, he and Kelsay are the ultimate symbols of everything this team hasn't been able to do in the past 10 years. The sooner they're gone, the better.

ZAZusmc03
03-19-2010, 11:48 AM
I have to disagree with you OP. I can see us taking an OLB pass rusher and a solid ILB prospect within the first 4 rounds.

EDS
03-19-2010, 01:30 PM
OLB is a critical need if Schobel is retiring. There is no one currently on the roster with any experience and/or production to speak of at the position. Scary.

With the signing of Davis, I would think the likelihood of taking an ILB early are very remote.

more cowbell
03-19-2010, 01:53 PM
OLB - Mitchell, Maybin, Kelsay, Ellison
MLB - Davis
MLB - Posluszny
OLB - Schobel, Kelsay, Maybin, Ellison

I could see us taking an inside linebacker...but can't see us using a high draft pick on one

User Manuel
03-19-2010, 02:05 PM
I dont see any way that Kawika Mitchell is not a starter. He was an ILB with the Giants and was effective, I also think Poz may be better suited to the outside.

I have to believe that the bills plan on using Kelsay (1st and 2nd down) and Maybin (3rd) as a package at OLB. I could also see Davis coming out on 3rd down and either Mitchell or Poz, whoever is outside, sliding inside and Using anothe rrushing OLB as well (maybe Ellis, Draft pick).

I guess hwat I am saying is I think we will see alot of mixing and matching.

Scumbag College
03-19-2010, 02:33 PM
I would think about keeping Ellison around for passing situations. I think he might be the only LB fast enough on the current roster that might be able to cover a RB or TE one on one.

Italian Stallion
03-19-2010, 02:49 PM
Don't ever claim to know anything when it comes to this teams thinking on draft day. The thing that makes the LEAST amount of sense, seems to be whats read on the card at the podium.

JCBills
03-19-2010, 03:36 PM
I dont see any way that Kawika Mitchell is not a starter. He was an ILB with the Giants and was effective, I also think Poz may be better suited to the outside.

I have to believe that the bills plan on using Kelsay (1st and 2nd down) and Maybin (3rd) as a package at OLB. I could also see Davis coming out on 3rd down and either Mitchell or Poz, whoever is outside, sliding inside and Using anothe rrushing OLB as well (maybe Ellis, Draft pick).

I guess hwat I am saying is I think we will see alot of mixing and matching.

You have to understand the responsibilities of the position. Poz is not a 3-4 OLB, not suited for it at all, and he's dominant on the inside. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

We still need ILB depth, a LOLB, and OLB depth.

NOT THE DUDE...
03-19-2010, 04:28 PM
with no pass rush, this defense wont do anything... ive changed my mind, brandon graham has lamar woodley written all over him, i want graham!!!!!!

SirMcGee
03-19-2010, 04:50 PM
You have to understand the responsibilities of the position. Poz is not a 3-4 OLB, not suited for it at all, and he's dominant on the inside. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Yes sir Führer!!!!!

JCBills
03-19-2010, 04:53 PM
Yes sir Führer!!!!!

Please stop asking people for donations to the JCBills fan club. I know you're the chapter president, but it hasn't caught on like you thought it would.

NOT THE DUDE...
03-19-2010, 06:26 PM
lets see if schobel retires or stays it doesnt matter he is starting to decline, kelsay sucks, maybin is unproven and ellis is a nothing, at ilb we are fine with poz, davis, mitchell, ellison, harris... at olb if schobel retires we will be drafting brandon graham. that dude is a monster. he has run unofficial 4.5s in the 40 and also a 10.8 in the 100 meter. that is at 6'2 270lbs. he literally has bruce smith ability....

JCBills
03-19-2010, 07:06 PM
lets see if schobel retires or stays it doesnt matter he is starting to decline, kelsay sucks, maybin is unproven and ellis is a nothing, at ilb we are fine with poz, davis, mitchell, ellison, harris... at olb if schobel retires we will be drafting brandon graham. that dude is a monster. he has run unofficial 4.5s in the 40 and also a 10.8 in the 100 meter. that is at 6'2 270lbs. he literally has bruce smith ability....

Bruce Smith was a 3-4 end that posted 200 sacks.

Nobody has Bruce Smith ability.

NOT THE DUDE...
03-19-2010, 08:37 PM
graham will be a great player man! no doubt.. hes to powerful and quick..

Night Train
03-19-2010, 08:52 PM
I've even read locally where Kelsay might be moved to ILB.

Poz could move outside with Maybin. Davis could get Mitchell cut.

Regardless, the Bills need some more LB depth. Ellison signing a tender doesn't mean a roster spot in Sept. is a lock. That applies to multiple positions. New coaches have few loyalties.

JCBills
03-19-2010, 09:15 PM
I've even read locally where Kelsay might be moved to ILB.

Poz could move outside with Maybin. Davis could get Mitchell cut.

Regardless, the Bills need some more LB depth. Ellison signing a tender doesn't mean a roster spot in Sept. is a lock. That applies to multiple positions. New coaches have few loyalties.

I keep seeing this. Huh?

more cowbell
03-19-2010, 09:21 PM
POZ is not an outside linebacker...hes not a pass rushing LB. One thing Kawika Mitchell actually does well is blitz the QB. He is a much better fit outside

JCBills
03-20-2010, 08:31 PM
POZ is not an outside linebacker...hes not a pass rushing LB. One thing Kawika Mitchell actually does well is blitz the QB. He is a much better fit outside

I think Mitchell might play outside by default if we don't land a LOLB in the draft, though he isn't much of a fit there. If we do I think it will be a rotation with Mitchell/Davis at LILB. Poz will rarely come off the field because he's a 3 down LB, and they could use Bryan Scott in nickel packages.

PECKERWOOD
03-20-2010, 10:05 PM
Schobel/Poz/Davis/Maybin

Mitchell can be a key rotational guy.

JCBills
03-20-2010, 10:40 PM
Schobel/Poz/Davis/Maybin

Mitchell can be a key rotational guy.

Maybin isn't exactly ideal for the strong side, but who knows he could show up at 260.

He's training with Monte Sanders, who also works with Ray Lewis and Ed Reed.

http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm203/DaBills4Life/x2_e68e59.jpg

http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm203/DaBills4Life/x2_e6a338.jpg

PECKERWOOD
03-20-2010, 11:08 PM
Maybin is looking like a house in those pictures there, that is encouraging. We drafted him pretty high last year, he needs to get some playing time in anyways.

kernowboy
03-21-2010, 07:33 AM
I can think we could look on Day3 to a guy like Danny Batten of South Dakota St, would played DE at college, but did well at the Senior Bowl at both OLB and ILB.

I think if you spend a high pick on any position when you have a roster full of holes that player needs to be starting from Day1. Also players learn from coaches, not bad habits from average senior players like Mitchell and Davis.

I can see us looking to either grab a guy who will fall because of medical concerns like Sean Lee of Penn State this year, or wait to draft someone like Alex Wucjiak of Maryland in R2 or R3 next year.

WeAreArthurMoates
03-21-2010, 07:47 AM
Dont be surprised if Brandon Graham is the guy. He's everything Nix looks in a college player. Ton's of experience, ultra productive (an incredible 29 sacks), athletic, tough and plays in the cold.

tampabay25690
03-21-2010, 07:54 AM

Well said when you run a 3-4 you need a ton of depth....

Having Davis as a Inside backer this will help POZ.
Davis is your run stuffing guy and Poz can float...
We still need that big body to take up 1 guys in the middle that still scares me but I feel better about our DE situation now......Stroud and Edwards starting thats not bad.....

Kyle Williams will probably be the starting DT if I had to guess but they still need a rotation....

tampabay25690
03-21-2010, 07:56 AM
I think Maybin will be or 3rd down OLB and make an impact kind of like Bryce Paup did at OLB rushing the QB....

User Manuel
03-22-2010, 10:51 AM
Maybin go a lot of heat last year, but he was put in a position to fail last year by the team and staff. Everything I have read and seen is that he has a great work ethic and he is a high motor guy. That is encouraging.

I still did not like picking him last year, but i actaully really like the pick now that we have moved to 3-4. I think he will eventually excel.