PDA

View Full Version : Prediction - The QB The Bills Will Select In April IS..

Night Train
03-19-2010, 08:43 PM
3-18-2010 - Quarterback Jonathan Crompton (6-3 ¼, 222) Tennessee Pro Day -ran 4.87 and 4.89 in the 40-yard-dash, 4.39 in the short shuttle and 7.02 in the three-cone drill. Crompton also posted a 31.0 vertical jump and 8.10 broad jump. He reportedly looked impressive during passing drills.

Projected - Round 3 or 4

From NFL Draft Scout

With the arrival of Lane Kiffin as the Vols' head coach, Crompton showed that he had the lively arm to make all the throws required of an NFL quarterback.
Despite a banner senior campaign during which Crompton revived an aerial game that ranked 107th in the nation in 2008 (145.83 yards per game) to 46th nationally in 2009 (226.31 ypg), the Vols' quarterback failed to secure an invitation to the NFL Combine. He used the 2010 Texas vs. Nation showcase to open more than a few eyes around the league, thrusting himself into serious consideration to be drafted.

An organization willing to roll the dice and select Crompton might find the steal of the draft arriving at their training complex.

Threw accurately to all levels at times as a senior, but struggled mightily with accuracy throughout his early career, including as a junior. Good timing and accuracy to hit the receiver in stride on the slant, dig and deep crossing routes. Good touch to place the ball between the linebacker and safety down the seam or on wheel routes. Good touch and accuracy for the dump-off routes to the back, allowing them to make the catch easily and head upfield.

Arm Strength: Strong arm. Can make every NFL throw without extending his windup. Puts enough zip on his underneath throws to fit through the tight winds of an NFL defense, including placing the deep out from the opposite hash. Good trajectory on the deep ball. Ball comes down at an angle that is easy to track and catch, but doesn't hang in the air. If he struggles in the NFL, it won't be due to a lack of arm strength.

Setup/Release: Efficient drop back from center and set up. Sells the play-action. Throws with good balance and steps into his passes. Compact windup and a quick release doesn't allow defenders much time to react. The ball comes out of his hand quickly and with good trajectory. Tight spirals that are easy for his receivers to track and catch.

Reading Defense: At least some of the improvement he showed as a senior came with limiting the number of reads he was asked to make. Has developed a great deal in terms of poise and reading defenses, but still locks on to his primary target early in the route. Rarely looks off the safety. Too often trusts his arm-strength and accuracy and throws the ball into coverage. Became more willing to throw the ball away as the year went on. Good poise in the pocket. Willing to step up in the pocket and take the hit to complete the throw.

On the Move: Among his most impressive traits. Good balance on the rollout. Keeps his eyes downfield and has the arm strength and accuracy to attack in the short and intermediate levels. Squares his shoulders and fires the ball with good trajectory and accuracy. Will occasionally throw back across his body, but has enough zip to fit balls in tight windows. Not a true threat as a scrambler, but can buy time and escape the pocket when necessary. Good size and strength for the quarterback sneak.
Intangibles (On/off field leadership, competitive fire, work habits, off-field issues, intelligence, ability to play through pain).

I'd take this guy to compete with Brohm, after selecting the blue chip LT and NT the Bills desperately need. Coaching could help him cure some common college habits of staring down the WR. Bye bye, Trentative.

All 32 teams were at the Tennessee pro day yesterday. I'm sure the Bills were closely watching at this guy and NT Dan Williams.

I've seen worse ideas here recently. ( ex. Clausen at #9 )

Flame away.

more cowbell
03-19-2010, 09:17 PM
i would rather sign tee martin or shane matthews

Dying_-2-_Live
03-19-2010, 09:20 PM
God, do I wish Bradford would drop :(

SaviorEdwards
03-19-2010, 10:02 PM
OMG!!!!!! Worst QB EVER!!!!!!!! LMAO!!!!!! He is what helf Tennessee back in the SEC last year. Please NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

TrEd FTW
03-19-2010, 10:10 PM
Crompton is awful

YardRat
03-19-2010, 10:18 PM
I'd take this guy to compete with Brohm, after selecting the blue chip LT and NT the Bills desperately need.

I'd be OK with just about anything after this happens.

TigerJ
03-19-2010, 11:04 PM
It wouldn't surprise me. I expect Buffalo to draft someone like Crompton, a guy who has some skills, but had some problems in college that causes him to drop to the middle rounds. I think Tennessee had problems because Fulmer was no longer an effective coach. Crompton could end up being a pretty good NFL QB with the right coaching.

robjohnson4life
03-19-2010, 11:20 PM
I always buy the Sporting News draft guide every year. This year they had Jonathan Crompton as the #2 rated QB and at a first round grade, no less.

I follow Tennessee football. I watched every game last year.

I will never again buy a Sporting News draft guide.

PECKERWOOD
03-20-2010, 03:05 AM
What typically happens around this time is people are so burned out from hearing the same prospects names over and over again that they start trying to make other players out to be something they're not simply to stop reliving Ground Hog's Day over and over again..

Truth is, Bulaga, Dan Williams, Jimmy Clausen, Sam Bradford, Russell Okung, Suh, McCoy, Dez Bryant & Anthony Davis should all be on our big board..

NOT THE DUDE...
03-20-2010, 03:36 AM
i get the feeling buffalo wont draft a qb this year, and give fitz or edwards another chance. if they dont cut it, then we will get a qb next year obviously....

Nighthawk
03-20-2010, 07:38 AM
i get the feeling buffalo wont draft a qb this year, and give fitz or edwards another chance. if they dont cut it, then we will get a qb next year obviously....

If Fitz is the starting QB next year, then it is very apparent that Nix isn't the great talent evaluator that everybody believes he is.

Night Train
03-20-2010, 10:47 AM
If these posters dislike him, then I know he's good. :nod:

Point being, a 3rd-4th round gamble on a QB with upside (I watched him play) is far better than a Clausen type, who IS not a franchise QB but will command huge $$. Never reach.

Didn't we scream bloody murder when Peters wasn't given the $$ at LT ?

But we would pass on a Franchise LT.... for Clausen. Got it.

We'll see, come April. It will take 2 more years of drafting to build this team back up, after blowing the draft for so many years. Last years draft was great start and much work still needs to be done.

DraftBoy
03-20-2010, 01:04 PM
NT-
My biggest hesitation with Crompton is his decision making, progressions, and football IQ.

Notice in his scouting report he really turned around his senior year when Kiffim simplified his offense and gave him less reads both pre and post snap. Now he noticably improved (watch v. UGA) but we don't really have an option here to run an over simplified offese like they did at Tennessee.

Night Train
03-20-2010, 01:20 PM
NT-
My biggest hesitation with Crompton is his decision making, progressions, and football IQ.

Notice in his scouting report he really turned around his senior year when Kiffim simplified his offense and gave him less reads both pre and post snap. Now he noticably improved (watch v. UGA) but we don't really have an option here to run an over simplified offese like they did at Tennessee.

Point taken, DB. Well said.

The games I saw him, he was able to drill the seam route and hit his receivers overt the correct shoulder on the post. In other words, NFL type throws. Plus he rolled out well and had good touch on the short passes. Seemed to progress through his reads quickly. The one neg I had on him is the common issue among college QB's, which is locking on the primary on occasion.

When I think seam route, I'm thinking TE Nelson catching the ball and taking the Safties and LB's off the LOS. That's huge for me and would help the running game and give Jackson some room on swing passes. I'm just trying to match a style to help this offense turn it around and I think his skill set may give our coaches something to work with. Plus the low risk of him being a middle round pick at best and allowing us to draft a LT and front 7 help ahead of him.

DraftBoy
03-20-2010, 01:37 PM
I have to agree that he has the NFL arm and accuracy you want and he is a rather lower risk pick. It's possible that maybe he just wasn't ready for a complicated offense but it certainly gives me cause for concern about when/if he'll ever be ready to understand a complicated offense.

That being said there are far worse prospects we could pick.

Bert102176
03-20-2010, 03:34 PM
the only QB we will draft is Tebow

tampabay25690
03-20-2010, 03:58 PM
CROMPTON is terrible it's scary he is even being considered in the NFL when he sucked balls in college...

JCBills
03-20-2010, 04:24 PM
All I hope is that they push QB down the list to the 3rd or later rounds.

Ickybaluky
03-20-2010, 09:04 PM
Crompton has a lot of tools. Good size. Good athlete. Strong arm.

However, he scores poorly in the two most important aspects of QB play. He isn't accurate or consistent. He looks like an NFL QB, but doesn't play like one, IMO.

My sleeper QB in this draft is Sean Canfield, who I think has a chance to go in the 3rd round. He has good size and a good-enough arm, but I love his accuracy. He shows poise in the pocket and goes through his reads, allowing routes to develop.

He is a lefty, with is a little different, and he struggled with some injuries. But I think he has an NFL-type skillset. Played great last year for Oregon State, against good competition in the PAC-10.

Crisis
03-20-2010, 09:50 PM
i will throw up if we get crompton...he's terrible.

bigbub2352
03-20-2010, 10:00 PM
John Skelton in the 4th

PECKERWOOD
03-20-2010, 10:15 PM
Colt McCoy, 3rd round.

psubills62
03-20-2010, 10:28 PM
Whoever we get, I'd like it to be in the 4th round or later, preferably. Mainly because I don't think there are any worthwhile prospects for the first three rounds, and a secondary thought is that I'd like to see what Cortez can do.

I was intrigued when we hired Cortez and I'd like to see if he can develop a QB. Maybe grab a guy who has the tools (Hiller, Skelton, Nichols, Crompton, whoever), and see if Cortez can help him mentally develop.

Caveat: that doesn't mean I don't want a top prospect in 2011 or 2012, or whenever. I just wouldn't mind Crompton (provided he was a 5th round pick or later).

NOT THE DUDE...
03-21-2010, 04:13 AM
TIM TEBOW 2nd round..

kernowboy
03-21-2010, 07:20 AM
TIM TEBOW 2nd round..

That would be a horrific pick considering the needs on this team

SaviorEdwards
03-21-2010, 09:55 AM
CROMPTON is terrible it's scary he is even being considered in the NFL when he sucked balls in college...

I remember his games so vividly because I remember the guys calling his games crushing him which is rare in the college ranks. I will be absolutely shocked if he makes any NFL team.

DraftBoy
03-21-2010, 10:31 AM
I think people forget just how much Crompton turned his year around starting against UGA.

He went 5-3 with stats like this;
122 of 197 61.9%, 1727 yards, 16 TD, and 5 INT

That's really good stats against almost all SEC Defenses and one of the best ACC defenses.