• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • T-Long
    Circling the Wagons since 1982.
    • Sep 2003

Gil Brandt just said...

On Sirius that Jimmy Clausen would be a great fit in Buffalo and truly believes the guy will be a franchise QB in this league. He raved about his 28 touchdowns and said he only really threw 3 picks instead of 4 because of a blown up play out of his control.

I'll take the opinion of the Godfather of the NFL over any doubters on here.
  • Michael82
    • Jul 2002

Re: Gil Brandt just said...

That's fine with me.

Comment

• Night Train
      Retired - On Several Levels
      • Jul 2005

That's works for you, since you've wanted him all along.

I'll leave it up to Nix & the boys. I don't see Clausen as a Franchise QB at all. Time will tell.
      Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• Dying_-2-_Live
        • Feb 2009

Im willing to bet... if Clausen is there... We will take him
        "If you ain't first... You're last"

Comment

• Mr. Pink
          Peterman Sucks!
          • Mar 2006

I'm willing to bet that Claussen will make Brady Quinn look like a success story.

But apparently Gil Brandt is all knowing so Claussen will do great!

Comment

• jlgarsh
            • Jan 2010

I'd rather take a chance on Clausen then have to sit through another season watching Trent Edwards and Ryan Fitzpatrick. The only worse starters last year were Jamarcus Russell, Jake Delhomme, Mark Bulger, and anyone in a Browns uniform!

Comment

• BillsWin
              man amongst boys
              • Oct 2008

Im slowly getting on the Clausen train, but I think its out of necessity. I believe if Clausen is there, we take him. There is nothing we, as fans, can do about it. So I am trying to rationalize the pick, before it comes to pass.
              I am The Batman.

Comment

• SquishDaFish
                Lets GO BUFFALO!!
                • Jun 2005

Like I said all along I agree with him.

Comment

• Nighthawk
                  Getting old waiting for a championship in Buffalo!
                  • Jul 2002

Originally posted by FunTimesYaY!
                  I'm willing to bet that Claussen will make Brady Quinn look like a success story.

Yeah, why would anybody believe what he has to say...what does he know? [sarcasm]

Comment

• Don't Panic
                    All-Pro Zoner
                    • Dec 2005

Brandt is an interesting character... he is an encyclopedia of information byt sometimes can't remember who he's on the radio with. He's the most highly functioning partially senile person I've ever heard. I keep telling myself he needs to go but then he tells a story about some prospect from 15 years ago's mother who waited tables at a diner where Vince Lombardi used to go. And you're like, "where did that come from??" Always entertaining...

I respect his opinion, especially when it comes to evaluation. Still, there's just something that doesn't sit right about Claussen. If we take him, it better be because there isn't a bona fide stud LT prospect on the board when our pick comes up, no matter who that may be. Then you cut Edwards and let Claussen compete with Fitz to see who is the day one starter. One would have to assume Claussen would be ready to go before the year let's out.

I'd be OK with that scenario, but I'm still hoping for something better.

Comment

• Midwesternbillsfan
                      • Apr 2007

Originally posted by FunTimesYaY!

Well, Brandt at least knows that "Clausen" only has one "s" in his name.

Clausen is usually derided because of the college from which he hails and because of some- perceived or accurate- arrogance and lack of leadership abilities (that label doesn't seem supporting by the fact that he was voted a captain by his Fighting Irish peers. And on the field, Clausen engineered just about every Irish win last year by leading a comeback).

Anyway, there is a lot to like about Clausen:

- Clausen showed real toughness on the field last year, playing well and playing through a debillitating toe turf injury.

- Clausen is well-versed in a pro-style offense; most of his peers are not.

- Clausen effectively and quickly reads defenses and owns the presence of mind to go through all of his progressions, a rare ability for a young QB.

- Clausen was remarkably accurate last year and also showed good touch on his throws; he seemed to recognize when to unleash it and when to show restraint.

- Contrary to some opinions, Clausen certainly has a strong enough arm to make all the necessary throws. ESPN's NFL stat guy Seth Joyner did a lot to dispel these 'concerns.'

- Clausen's decision-making was superb last season; a 28:4 TD/INT ratio is exceptional. He did have Tate and Floyd at wideout, and a solid TE in Rudolph. But Floyd missed half of the year, and there was no discernible difference in Clausen's level of play during his absence. Clausen still played sublimely.

- Clausen showed strong growth in his development from a freshman to a junior. That indicates that he's tractable/impressionable to coaching, which is something that's absolutely necessary for a young QB.

Anyway, I'm less sure that he'll be available at 9 than I am that he'd amount to a good draft pick.
                      Last edited by Midwesternbillsfan; 03-19-2010, 10:00 PM.

Comment

• PECKERWOOD
                        Defies all logic
                        • Oct 2006

I'm with Midwestern, Clausen has also proven to be pretty durable too, Notre Dame's line sucked, yet he still played the season out with a toe injury. Bradford on the other hand, could he survive in Buffalo? He maybe another Tim Couch.

Comment

• bigbub2352
                          • Feb 2005

would absolutly love this i have been saying above everything we need a QB all day
                          Clausen is the guy i want if he is there at 9 we also need someone to sell tickets dont think the Bills arent thinking that and the kid played in weather and has a good enough arm

dont mistake ****iness for leader ship either would absolutly love this pick
                          XTRA CRISPY XTRA SAUCEY

Comment

• Mr. Pink
                            Peterman Sucks!
                            • Mar 2006

Originally posted by Nighthawk
                            Yeah, why would anybody believe what he has to say...what does he know? [sarcasm]

He's no different than you or I...he just gets paid for his opinion.

Doesn't make him any more or less right than anyone on here.

If anything, we all should have learned by now, that many of us have been more right than the experts over the past 3 years. Experts being the Bills front office brass.

Comment

• Mr. Pink
                              Peterman Sucks!
                              • Mar 2006

Originally posted by Midwesternbillsfan
                              Well, Brandt at least knows that "Clausen" only has one "s" in his name.

Clausen is usually derided because of the college from which he hails and because of some- perceived or accurate- arrogance and lack of leadership abilities (that label doesn't seem supporting by the fact that he was voted a captain by his Fighting Irish peers. And on the field, Clausen engineered just about every Irish win last year by leading a comeback).

Anyway, there is a lot to like about Clausen:

- Clausen showed real toughness on the field last year, playing well and playing through a debillitating toe turf injury.

- Clausen is well-versed in a pro-style offense; most of his peers are not.

- Clausen effectively and quickly reads defenses and owns the presence of mind to go through all of his progressions, a rare ability for a young QB.

- Clausen was remarkably accurate last year and also showed good touch on his throws; he seemed to recognize when to unleash it and when to show restraint.

- Contrary to some opinions, Clausen certainly has a strong enough arm to make all the necessary throws. ESPN's NFL stat guy Seth Joyner did a lot to dispel these 'concerns.'

- Clausen's decision-making was superb last season; a 28:4 TD/INT ratio is exceptional. He did have Tate and Floyd at wideout, and a solid TE in Rudolph. But Floyd missed half of the year, and there was no discernible difference in Clausen's level of play during his absence. Clausen still played sublimely.

- Clausen showed strong growth in his development from a freshman to a junior. That indicates that he's tractable/impressionable to coaching, which is something that's absolutely necessary for a young QB.

Anyway, I'm less sure that he'll be available at 9 than I am that he'd amount to a good draft pick.
                              And in all of this, Brady Quinn did a whole lot better in the same system and was better "tooled" and look where he ended up?

Whether or not it's fair to compare Clausen and Quinn's performances at ND is immaterial. But it's the best comparison that one can make at this time.

And in comparison on both, Quinn far excelled Clausen in every aspect.

Comment

Working...
                              X