PDA

View Full Version : Gil Brandt just said...

T-Long
03-19-2010, 08:48 PM
On Sirius that Jimmy Clausen would be a great fit in Buffalo and truly believes the guy will be a franchise QB in this league. He raved about his 28 touchdowns and said he only really threw 3 picks instead of 4 because of a blown up play out of his control.

I'll take the opinion of the Godfather of the NFL over any doubters on here.

Michael82
03-19-2010, 08:51 PM
That's fine with me. :up:

Night Train
03-19-2010, 08:56 PM
That's works for you, since you've wanted him all along.

I'll leave it up to Nix & the boys. I don't see Clausen as a Franchise QB at all. Time will tell.

Dying_-2-_Live
03-19-2010, 09:12 PM
Im willing to bet... if Clausen is there... We will take him

Mr. Pink
03-19-2010, 09:15 PM
I'm willing to bet that Claussen will make Brady Quinn look like a success story.

But apparently Gil Brandt is all knowing so Claussen will do great!

jlgarsh
03-19-2010, 09:22 PM
I'd rather take a chance on Clausen then have to sit through another season watching Trent Edwards and Ryan Fitzpatrick. The only worse starters last year were Jamarcus Russell, Jake Delhomme, Mark Bulger, and anyone in a Browns uniform!

BillsWin
03-19-2010, 09:23 PM
Im slowly getting on the Clausen train, but I think its out of necessity. I believe if Clausen is there, we take him. There is nothing we, as fans, can do about it. So I am trying to rationalize the pick, before it comes to pass.

SquishDaFish
03-19-2010, 09:41 PM
Like I said all along I agree with him.

Nighthawk
03-19-2010, 09:41 PM
I'm willing to bet that Claussen will make Brady Quinn look like a success story.

Yeah, why would anybody believe what he has to say...what does he know? [sarcasm]

Don't Panic
03-19-2010, 09:53 PM
Brandt is an interesting character... he is an encyclopedia of information byt sometimes can't remember who he's on the radio with. He's the most highly functioning partially senile person I've ever heard. I keep telling myself he needs to go but then he tells a story about some prospect from 15 years ago's mother who waited tables at a diner where Vince Lombardi used to go. And you're like, "where did that come from??" Always entertaining...

I respect his opinion, especially when it comes to evaluation. Still, there's just something that doesn't sit right about Claussen. If we take him, it better be because there isn't a bona fide stud LT prospect on the board when our pick comes up, no matter who that may be. Then you cut Edwards and let Claussen compete with Fitz to see who is the day one starter. One would have to assume Claussen would be ready to go before the year let's out.

I'd be OK with that scenario, but I'm still hoping for something better.

Midwesternbillsfan
03-19-2010, 09:57 PM

Well, Brandt at least knows that "Clausen" only has one "s" in his name.

Clausen is usually derided because of the college from which he hails and because of some- perceived or accurate- arrogance and lack of leadership abilities (that label doesn't seem supporting by the fact that he was voted a captain by his Fighting Irish peers. And on the field, Clausen engineered just about every Irish win last year by leading a comeback).

Anyway, there is a lot to like about Clausen:

- Clausen showed real toughness on the field last year, playing well and playing through a debillitating toe turf injury.

- Clausen is well-versed in a pro-style offense; most of his peers are not.

- Clausen effectively and quickly reads defenses and owns the presence of mind to go through all of his progressions, a rare ability for a young QB.

- Clausen was remarkably accurate last year and also showed good touch on his throws; he seemed to recognize when to unleash it and when to show restraint.

- Contrary to some opinions, Clausen certainly has a strong enough arm to make all the necessary throws. ESPN's NFL stat guy Seth Joyner did a lot to dispel these 'concerns.'

- Clausen's decision-making was superb last season; a 28:4 TD/INT ratio is exceptional. He did have Tate and Floyd at wideout, and a solid TE in Rudolph. But Floyd missed half of the year, and there was no discernible difference in Clausen's level of play during his absence. Clausen still played sublimely.

- Clausen showed strong growth in his development from a freshman to a junior. That indicates that he's tractable/impressionable to coaching, which is something that's absolutely necessary for a young QB.

Anyway, I'm less sure that he'll be available at 9 than I am that he'd amount to a good draft pick.

PECKERWOOD
03-19-2010, 10:06 PM
I'm with Midwestern, Clausen has also proven to be pretty durable too, Notre Dame's line sucked, yet he still played the season out with a toe injury. Bradford on the other hand, could he survive in Buffalo? He maybe another Tim Couch.

bigbub2352
03-19-2010, 10:36 PM
would absolutly love this i have been saying above everything we need a QB all day
Clausen is the guy i want if he is there at 9 we also need someone to sell tickets dont think the Bills arent thinking that and the kid played in weather and has a good enough arm

dont mistake ****iness for leader ship either would absolutly love this pick

Mr. Pink
03-19-2010, 10:38 PM
Yeah, why would anybody believe what he has to say...what does he know? [sarcasm]

He's no different than you or I...he just gets paid for his opinion.

Doesn't make him any more or less right than anyone on here.

If anything, we all should have learned by now, that many of us have been more right than the experts over the past 3 years. Experts being the Bills front office brass.

Mr. Pink
03-19-2010, 10:42 PM
Well, Brandt at least knows that "Clausen" only has one "s" in his name.

Clausen is usually derided because of the college from which he hails and because of some- perceived or accurate- arrogance and lack of leadership abilities (that label doesn't seem supporting by the fact that he was voted a captain by his Fighting Irish peers. And on the field, Clausen engineered just about every Irish win last year by leading a comeback).

Anyway, there is a lot to like about Clausen:

- Clausen showed real toughness on the field last year, playing well and playing through a debillitating toe turf injury.

- Clausen is well-versed in a pro-style offense; most of his peers are not.

- Clausen effectively and quickly reads defenses and owns the presence of mind to go through all of his progressions, a rare ability for a young QB.

- Clausen was remarkably accurate last year and also showed good touch on his throws; he seemed to recognize when to unleash it and when to show restraint.

- Contrary to some opinions, Clausen certainly has a strong enough arm to make all the necessary throws. ESPN's NFL stat guy Seth Joyner did a lot to dispel these 'concerns.'

- Clausen's decision-making was superb last season; a 28:4 TD/INT ratio is exceptional. He did have Tate and Floyd at wideout, and a solid TE in Rudolph. But Floyd missed half of the year, and there was no discernible difference in Clausen's level of play during his absence. Clausen still played sublimely.

- Clausen showed strong growth in his development from a freshman to a junior. That indicates that he's tractable/impressionable to coaching, which is something that's absolutely necessary for a young QB.

Anyway, I'm less sure that he'll be available at 9 than I am that he'd amount to a good draft pick.

And in all of this, Brady Quinn did a whole lot better in the same system and was better "tooled" and look where he ended up?

Whether or not it's fair to compare Clausen and Quinn's performances at ND is immaterial. But it's the best comparison that one can make at this time.

And in comparison on both, Quinn far excelled Clausen in every aspect.

New Ro's Greatest
03-19-2010, 10:42 PM
Like i have been saying all along if he is there at #9 he has to be the pick! We should not trade up to get him though. GO BILLS:tip:

Midwesternbillsfan
03-19-2010, 10:47 PM
He's no different than you or I...he just gets paid for his opinion.

Doesn't make him any more or less right than anyone on here.

If anything, we all should have learned by now, that many of us have been more right than the experts over the past 3 years. Experts being the Bills front office brass.

Gil Brandt, someone who was Cowboys' general manager from 1960-1989, winning two Super Bowls and playing in three others, and who has spent his entire life immersed in the sport of football and studying and analyzing players isn't any different than any Billszone poster other than the fact that his opinion is subsized? I think that I have a relatively accurate assessment of quite a few current players and collegiate prospects- but I'll concede that I'm no Gil Brandt. Apparently, that's not a concession you're prepared to make, and that's just unfounded and incapable of support.

buffalobillsfan95
03-19-2010, 10:51 PM
And in all of this, Brady Quinn did a whole lot better in the same system and was better "tooled" and look where he ended up?

Whether or not it's fair to compare Clausen and Quinn's performances at ND is immaterial. But it's the best comparison that one can make at this time.

quinn was in the wrong system and was thrown into the fire, chan gailey is known to be able to develop a quarter back

Mudflap1
03-19-2010, 10:56 PM
Clausen was highly touted coming out of high school, that's a positive.

He was horrific his freshman year, and not too great his sophomore year, that's a negative.

He had a great year statistically his junior year, that's a positive.

He has a good enough arm, learned a pro-style offense, and played in different types of weather, that's a positive.

He has less achievements coming out of Notre Dame than his predecessor, Brady Quinn, that's a negative.

Last but not least, Clausen, in three years, has ZERO signature wins on his resume. Granted, perhaps Notre Dame's defense was lackluster and their talent has not been up to standards overall, but Notre Dame also has had a creampuff schedule. A lot of so-called experts thought Notre Dame could run the table last year, or at least have 2-3 losses tops. What was their final record again? Not very impressive. Whether it's fair or not, you have to hold the quarterback at least partially accountable for that. Couple that with their record his first two years, and I think it has to be seriously questioned about whether the guy is a winner or not. Large negative in my book.

Overall, there are positives, but I'm not sure they outweigh the negatives to the point where the guy is someone the Bills should feel comfortable about being their savior with the 9th overall pick. While Bradford has had more talent around him, I think one could still make the argument that he has mostly positives going for him (good record, signature wins, pro-style offense, big game situations). Bradford's main question mark is of course his shoulder.

Assuming Bradford is gone by #9, I think the Bills need to beef up the offensive and defensive lines (particularly offensive line) as priorities #1, #2, and #3, then wait a year to get the franchise QB in the draft. Let's get the the trenches and the rest of the team right first. Once that happens, a lot of QB's could have success here.

Midwesternbillsfan
03-19-2010, 10:56 PM

Quinn had great junior and senior campaigns at Notre Dame- but Clausen's campaign in 2009 trumps any single year out of Quinn. Clausen's ability to quickly read and dissect a defense and his decision-making (a mere four interceptions on the season; two off tipped passes) also are considered aspects to his 'game' that are superior to Quinn's coming of college three years gao. Clausen also doesn't own Quinn's Trent Edwards' like "reservations" (speaking euphemistically; it's more like abject fear and paranoia) for going downfield and taking the calculated risks that any potentially great QB must take. Clausen doesn't lack for confidence- Quinn seems to and Edwards undeniably does- and for all the J.P. Losman allusions and images that may conjure up, self-confidence is absolutely imperative to be and to become a big-time QB. And Clausen is nothing if not self-confident.

homeslice5484
03-19-2010, 11:09 PM
Does anyone really think Clausen drops to #9? I doubt it.

THATHURMANATOR
03-19-2010, 11:42 PM
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/RGHzJo8Bc5k&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/RGHzJo8Bc5k&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Demon
03-19-2010, 11:57 PM
On Sirius that Jimmy Clausen would be a great fit in Buffalo and truly believes the guy will be a franchise QB in this league. He raved about his 28 touchdowns and said he only really threw 3 picks instead of 4 because of a blown up play out of his control.

List me good underclassmen QB's who have entered the NFL draft in the previous 10 years. I bet you, you can't even come up with 3. And theres like 27 to choose from. For a franchise who has absolutely no luck, i doubt our luck chances to become the 3rd team to get a good underclassmen. Even Notre Dame fans hate the dude.

SquishDaFish
03-20-2010, 06:33 AM
I wouldnt say us ND fans hate him we are more upset with the fact we were supposed to be something better then how we turned out.

T-Long
03-20-2010, 07:30 AM
Someone who claims that Gil Brandt is just like the rest of us but just gets paid for his opinion has got to be one of the most ridiculous things I have ever read on this board.

Seriously, this just proves how much you DON'T know about football. People are laughing at you while reading that.

Novacane
03-20-2010, 07:34 AM
Does anyone really think Clausen drops to #9? I doubt it.

I hope not!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Novacane
03-20-2010, 07:36 AM
I don't say I know as much as Gil Brandt. I bet Gil Brandt has been wrong on a lot of players thoughout his career and I just happen to think he'll be wrong on this one. All the first round bust throughout the years have had some respected football guys saying they would be great.

kernowboy
03-20-2010, 08:14 AM
We take Clausen this year, and he ends on IR due to ineffective pass protection.

Nix has already said you cannot play QB when lying on your back.

We take Clausen and we miss on 4-5 BETTER QBs in 2011

WeAreArthurMoates
03-20-2010, 09:20 AM
List me good underclassmen QB's who have entered the NFL draft in the previous 10 years. I bet you, you can't even come up with 3. And theres like 27 to choose from. For a franchise who has absolutely no luck, i doubt our luck chances to become the 3rd team to get a good underclassmen. Even Notre Dame fans hate the dude.

Stafford, Sanchez and Rothlesberger, that was easy.

buffalobillsfan95
03-20-2010, 09:37 AM
We take Clausen this year, and he ends on IR due to ineffective pass protection.

Nix has already said you cannot play QB when lying on your back.

We take Clausen and we miss on 4-5 BETTER QBs in 2011
can't we just pick up a veterian QB in FA and toss him into the fire till our oline is better and clausen is more developed

Thief
03-20-2010, 09:42 AM
He was the QB. Your provided info isn't a tell all, and it is nearly a given. Simply watching and listening to the guy in a press conference gives me high doubts he can lead a team of grown veteran men in a huddle, let alone down the field. He is not the fiery leader I have been having in mind.

seanbillsfan
03-20-2010, 09:42 AM
cant we just bring back jp?:1:

DraftBoy
03-20-2010, 09:52 AM
Brandt knows his stuff, there is no doubt but I still dont see exactyl what he sees in Clausen.

I wish he would of gone way more indepth.

kernowboy
03-20-2010, 11:43 AM
can't we just pick up a veterian QB in FA and toss him into the fire till our oline is better and clausen is more developed

or pick up a vet and draft a better QB than Clausen next year

feldspar
03-20-2010, 12:36 PM

If Clausen will be a franchise QB in this league, he'll more than likely be off the board by #9. Personally, I like Bradford a lot more and think he'll go first, but both Clausen and Bradford will likely be picked before the Bills have a chance to pick. Moving up is not an option this year, either IMO.

feldspar
03-20-2010, 12:52 PM

Actually, Sanchez had a worse year than the Bills QBs that everybody seems to hate. The Jets threw for less yards, less touchdowns, and had more interceptions than the Bills. Also, they had a worse completion percentage. Sanchez completed an average of 13 passes per game in the regular season and completed only 12 passes in each of his playoff wins. Yet somehow the general perception is that the Jets have found their franchise QB, and the Bills have absolute crap? Doesn't really add up. The Jets were lucky the Colts let them into the playoffs. They saw their success because they had the #1 running game, the #1 defense, and perhaps the best offensive line in football.

The Lions won 2 games last year.

Stafford and Sanchez were both rookies, granted. They've showed some potential, but I wouldn't go busting a nut about them quite yet.

Roethlisberger is the only proven guy out of the three you named, and his name is currently being dragged through the mud. He's become a huge distraction to the team. Maybe that'll pass, maybe not.

Midwesternbillsfan
03-20-2010, 01:03 PM
Actually, Sanchez had a worse year than the Bills QBs that everybody seems to hate. The Jets threw for less yards, less touchdowns, and had more interceptions than the Bills. Also, they had a worse completion percentage. Sanchez completed an average of 13 passes per game in the regular season and completed only 12 passes in each of his playoff wins. Yet somehow the general perception is that the Jets have found their franchise QB, and the Bills have absolute crap? Doesn't really add up. The Jets were lucky the Colts let them into the playoffs. They saw their success because they had the #1 running game, the #1 defense, and perhaps the best offensive line in football.

The Lions won 2 games last year.

Stafford and Sanchez were both rookies, granted. They've showed some potential, but I wouldn't go busting a nut about them quite yet.

Roethlisberger is the only proven guy out of the three you named, and his name is currently being dragged through the mud. He's become a huge distraction to the team. Maybe that'll pass, maybe not.

Somebody could have said Aaron Rodgers, too; he was a true junior out of Cal. Technically, Sam Bradford is also a junior (redshirted his scholastic freshman season), and Clausen also technically owns one more season as a starter over Bradford (if you account for Bradford's significantly shortened, injury-riddled 2009 season... by not accounting for it).

feldspar
03-20-2010, 01:30 PM
Somebody could have said Aaron Rodgers, too; he was a true junior out of Cal. Technically, Sam Bradford is also a junior (redshirted his scholastic freshman season), and Clausen also technically owns one more season as a starter over Bradford (if you account for Bradford's significantly shortened, injury-riddled 2009 season... by not accounting for it).

Aaron Rodgers sat for so long behind Favre that he might have been able to get his doctorate by the time he actually started.

Demon
03-20-2010, 05:19 PM

Whoa, hold on a second cow boy.

Stafford and Sanchez are proven to be future franchise QBs? Really? News to me.

Don't mix potential with proven. They do have the potential you're right. They proved nothing yet. Just look at their stats. Far from "great". Both of them have a long ways to go still. Keep going....

Big Ben is one of them. There is another one for sure.... i won't give it out. The 3rd, may be a bit tough to find, unless i missed it.

Demon
03-20-2010, 05:24 PM
Someone who claims that Gil Brandt is just like the rest of us but just gets paid for his opinion has got to be one of the most ridiculous things I have ever read on this board.

Seriously, this just proves how much you DON'T know about football. People are laughing at you while reading that.

While i wasn't the one who made that comment, i do know some people get a man-love for some reporters. I have heard Brandt is a real quality football guy though. All these reporters are much smarter then most people on forums. But, that doesn't mean they are not wrong. Sometimes, wrong often. In the world of journalism and reporting, it's really not what you know but who you know. It's a tough gig to get into, a gig that pays well, but once you get in, you're set. Like a weather man.

I do like Brandt like i said, but Todd McShay is also on TV and makes solid $$$, yet, he's wrong A LOT. Actually, last year i believed he was high on some QB who he raved about for weeks and said he was a mid-1st rd pick for sure yet the guy dropped to the 3rd round. When i read the story (i believe in the NY Times) they quoted several team officials, and all said that QB was NEVER projected higher then the 3rd round by anyone they've know and had no clue why McShay kept saying he was a 1st rounder....

WeAreArthurMoates
03-20-2010, 07:15 PM
Whoa, hold on a second cow boy.

Stafford and Sanchez are proven to be future franchise QBs? Really? News to me.

Don't mix potential with proven. They do have the potential you're right. They proved nothing yet. Just look at their stats. Far from "great". Both of them have a long ways to go still. Keep going....

Big Ben is one of them. There is another one for sure.... i won't give it out. The 3rd, may be a bit tough to find, unless i missed it.

Yes, I would take Sanchez or Stafford here in a heart beat, they will be franchise qb's. The biggest issue with junior qb's is they lack preparation due to limited starts, Clausen has a ton of them. And I don't like butt sex with dudes so dont call me cowboy.

Demon
03-20-2010, 09:09 PM
Yes, I would take Sanchez or Stafford here in a heart beat, they will be franchise qb's. The biggest issue with junior qb's is they lack preparation due to limited starts, Clausen has a ton of them. And I don't like butt sex with dudes so dont call me cowboy.

We have Brohm, Fitz and Edwards, so of course you would.

Will be? Exactly. I asked for PROVEN NFL underclassmen first round QBs..... not "will be's".

PromoTheRobot
03-20-2010, 11:58 PM

Just remember...those who CAN'T become TV and Radio commentators where their opinions affect nothing and are forgotten as soon as they are uttered. If Gil was so smart, he'd be doin' the job.

PTR

The Spaz
03-21-2010, 12:26 AM
Just remember...those who CAN'T become TV and Radio commentators where their opinions affect nothing and are forgotten as soon as they are uttered. If Gil was so smart, he'd be doin' the job.

PTR

Umm he was doing the job.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gil_Brandt

feldspar
03-21-2010, 12:49 AM

PTR

Even the guys "doing the job" aren't infallible. There are 32 teams trying to accomplish the same thing. Somebody is going to look real bad.

As far as TV and radio commentators go, those outside Buffalo don't usually know as much as the average hardcore Bills fan about the Buffalo Bills. Personally, I've been following this team very closely for nearly 30 years. I try to follow the whole league, but that is hard to do...following college football on top of the NFL is too much for me to handle. Again, people OUTSIDE Buffalo aren't as aware of the team as those INSIDE Buffalo. Football isn't rocket science, so you don't need a P.H.D. if you are at least half-way intelligent. Some of these reporters spread themselves too thin (so to speak), so they are easy to call out in a lot of cases.

As far as football commentators INSIDE Buffalo go, there are those that are complete homers and get paid to put a positive spin on any crap that works it's way through...then there are those that are so frustrated that they don't give anything a chance to develop...then there are those that sound like they know what they are talking about and call them like they see them.

The majority of Buffalo fans know enough to tell which category a reporter falls under...at least I would like to think so.

Hell, anybody can have an opinion.

But I'll have to take issue with you if you say that they'd be doing the job if they knew anything. There are reporters or, if you prefer, journalists out there that like their jobs and know what they are talking about. A great reporter doesn't translate into a great coach or whatever else.

I know a great QB when I see one, but that doesn't mean that I can play QB; just like I have a pretty good idea what's wrong with the Buffalo Bills, but that doesn't give me the ability to fix those things.

In other words, if you think that reporters don't know crap, then don't listen to them. Some do, some don't. Many reporters these days take the lazy approach and repeat what they've heard. Some are so lazy that they don't even get the basic story straight. I'd say there are more of these than there are reporters that think for themselves and actually have an idea what they are talking about. The Internet, where anybody can post anything, makes the problem worse.

The further one tries to spread himself thin, the less he knows what he is talking about. You have some that seem to try to cover every team in every sport at every level: football, baseball, basketball, hockey, soccer, etc...both pro and college. Nobody in the world could do that.

kernowboy
03-21-2010, 07:28 AM
The problem with drafting a QB at No9 or Clausen is that we put him on a team with only one experienced WR and zero pass protection.

At Notre Dame, Clausen had an ok college LT in Sam Young, two very good WRs in Floyd and Tate and a top college TE in Rudolph.

We offer him .... Evans.

We have a turnstyle at LT in Demetrius Bell, if he's not losing the DE is false starting. Neither Hardy nor Johnson have stepped up. We also give him a TE with six (6!!!) career receptions.

Clausen would have to take every snap in pre-season and in such an environment would likely start the season on IR.

Yes, we could have him learn behind Fitzpatrick and then draft him a LT next year in 2011, but:

1) We need our R1 pick to be a Day1 starter
2) Clausen is not so great that we couldn't reverse the order and go LT in 2010 and QB in 2011
3) If Clausen came out next year, in a deeper QB class he might not even be a R1 pick

Selecting Clausen at No9 is a signing of desperation, not one of reasoned thinking.