Could Austen Lane be a 3-4 DE?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Could Austen Lane be a 3-4 DE?

His production at Murray State was top draw with 19.5 TFL and 11 sacks and at 6ft6 and 276lbs already, I wonder if he can add another 10-15lbs. He'd certainly be a great addition especially if we can find him at the start of Day3

Here is a report about him

• SirMcGee
    • Feb 2010

Re: Could Austen Lane be a 3-4 DE?

No thanks.
    DRAFT WISHLIST
    1) BRYAN BULAGA - OT/IOWA
    2) JONATHON DWYER - RB/GA TECH
    3) JASON WORILDS - OLB/ VA. TECH
    4) TORRELL TROUP - NT/CENTRAL FLORIDA

Comment

Originally posted by SirMcGee
      No thanks.
      why?

Comment

• JCBills
        • Jan 2010

Lane is probably best fit as a LDE in a 4-3, though he needs to still improve his strength somewhat for that spot.

I think some of the better 3-4 end prospects in this class are Alex Carrington and C.J. Wilson. Weighing in at 285 and 290, both are exceptionally quick for their size (Wilson clocked in a 4.75), monstrously strong, and they use their hands very well. Stout against the run, and they can bring a lot of pressure. Ideal for RDE in the 3-4.

Comment

• DraftBoy
          Administrator
          • Jul 2002

There was some talk of him dropping 10 pounds and moving to 3-4 OLB actually.
          COMING SOON...
          Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
          We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by DraftBoy
            There was some talk of him dropping 10 pounds and moving to 3-4 OLB actually.
            I saw that, and think it could possibly work both ways. Losing 10-15lbs drops him to the 261-266lbs range which is good for an OLB. Adding 10-15lbs takes him up to 286-291lbs which is getting into 3-4 DE territory.

I'm not sure if he has quite enough speed to be a 3-4 OLB though.

Comment

• DraftBoy
              Administrator
              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by kernowboy
              I saw that, and think it could possibly work both ways. Losing 10-15lbs drops him to the 261-266lbs range which is good for an OLB. Adding 10-15lbs takes him up to 286-291lbs which is getting into 3-4 DE territory.

I'm not sure if he has quite enough speed to be a 3-4 OLB though.
              Yea but keep in mind he is comfortable playing in the 260 range, see this interview from November 26th;

Alex Khvatov: What are your measurements (height, weight and forty time)?

Austen Lane: I am 6’6”, 265 pounds right now. My fastest 40 time that I ran was a 4.65 this summer.

Alex Khvatov: What positions did you play in high school?

Austen Lane: I played DE, TE and WR in high school. Every school recruited me as a TE. Murray State was the only one that wanted me to play DE for them.
              But then again he also added 50 pounds since coming out of HS;
              Alex Khvatov: You added 50 pounds since you first set foot on campus, how were you able to accomplish that feat?

Austen Lane: Basically, I took the weight program very seriously. I ate a lot of food. I really added a lot of muscle and bulked up considerably.
              His combine times were;
              40-4.84
              20 Split-2.78
              10 Split-1.69

His time was slower than Alex Carrington (3-4 DE) but faster than Brandon Lang (3-4 OLB). He was also just a few hundreths slower than JPP as well.
              COMING SOON...
              Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
              We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• NOT THE DUDE...
                Formerly MARCELL DAREUS POWER, now posting as DANNY BATTEN POWER
                • Jan 2010

rather go with cj wilson...

Comment

• JCBills
                  • Jan 2010

Originally posted by JOHN DELLAPELLE
                  rather go with cj wilson...
                  Yeah I think he's going to be a monster at the next level, 3rd or 4th rd.

Comment

Working...
                  X