PDA

View Full Version : Shawn Nelson?

BillsOwnAll
03-21-2010, 08:32 PM
Now I'm not a big college football fan. But I heard last year Shawn Nelson was a top 3 TE in the draft. Then the Bills drafted him. Does he have "game changing" ability? I know he got hurt last year but, he looked good when he was in there. Whats his deal. Is he a long term answer at TE?

buffalobillsfan95
03-21-2010, 08:35 PM
he has great hands, his problem is he can't block to save his life

more cowbell
03-21-2010, 08:45 PM
He is one of the few players on the roster who is actually worth a damn

YardRat
03-21-2010, 08:57 PM
He's going to be able to help spread the field with his receiving skills, and that's going to give him and others more opportunities to make big plays. I like what he brings to the table.

casdhf
03-21-2010, 09:09 PM
He'll make a Pro Bowl before his career is over.

Romes
03-21-2010, 09:13 PM
He is one of the few players on the roster who is actually worth a damn

He is one of the few players on this team I'm optimistic about.

BillsOwnAll
03-21-2010, 09:32 PM
Ok well thats pretty much what I thought. I was excited about him last year. But i seen a few threads about needing a TE and drafting one. So i was concerned lol.

psubills62
03-21-2010, 09:34 PM
It's not like he showed himself as a Jason Witten last year, but I think it's more of a case where our receivers were all in the same boat, and it was sinking. He's supposed to be a very good receiving TE with speed, and has the frame to become a decent blocker. He had a good block in week 1 (I think it may have sprung a TD run?) but other than that, I don't remember him showing too much.

He should definitely be the starting TE, and if we can get a legitimately decent offense (i.e. get an LT, WR, another RB, a blocking TE, and definitely a QB), then he should be able to develop into a very good TE.

psubills62
03-21-2010, 09:35 PM
Ok well thats pretty much what I thought. I was excited about him last year. But i seen a few threads about needing a TE and drafting one. So i was concerned lol.

I'd say we need a blocking TE, like Colin Peek. Nelson is a fine starter, but we could use someone who is a good safety valve in the passing game, but can help our sad OL move the ball on the ground.

TigerJ
03-21-2010, 09:39 PM
he has great hands, his problem is he can't block to save his lifeShawn Nelson, like a lot of college tight ends was not asked to do a lot of blocking in college. Compared with some tight ends, he actually showed some willingness to block. It may take a while, but I think his blocking may become at least serviceable.

BillsWin
03-21-2010, 11:16 PM
Nelson will be a pro bowl tight end in my opinion. He has the skills, he needs some coaching on blocking, but showed improvment when he was healthy. I like him a lot. There is a lot of potential with last years draft. Byrd is a playmaker, Wood is a future pro bowler, Levitre is solid, Nelson seems to have a bright future ahead, Maybin may be switching to a natural position for him. We need another draft like that, except with more immediate impact, and hopefully less injuries!!! :pray:

JCBills
03-21-2010, 11:43 PM
I think Nelson showed a lot of good things last season. He was my absolute favorite prospect in the draft last year, and freaked when we picked him.

He has receiver speed and great leaping ability. His blocking progressed as the year went on, and I think him not getting the ball much was a result of the complete passing game woes we had last season. When you can't get the ball to Lee Evans and T.O., Nelson not blowing up as a rookie is understandable, though out of his 17 catches, quite a few were memorable plays.

We probably could use a primarily blocking TE at the #2 spot.

Stupar also showed some good things, and could make the roster as a #2/#3.

At the earliest, TE is probably a 6th round need, though they could probably just try an abundance of UDFA TEs.

Buddo
03-22-2010, 12:16 AM
TE is a position of need, mainly because we only have Nelson. Given more time to develop, i.e. this year, I think he will become possibly the best TE the Bills have ever had, as I believe he has the best natural 'hands' of anyone on the roster, aside from perhaps Byrd. He also has nice size, and is by far and away the quickest TE we've had in years.
The only other TE on the roster, who has done anything of note, is SChouman, who does show some promise, but has been incapable of staying on the field for more than a third of a season.

kernowboy
03-22-2010, 03:56 AM
I actually think TE is a bigger need than people think.

Nelson spent a lot of time lining up in the slot at college and with his natural speed could easily be used as a big WR.

An all around TE would be a welcome addition to the team especially if someone like Rob Gronkowski fell to us in the 3rd.

The top teams routinely spend more than one high round pick on a TE - Patriots, Steelers etc

X-Era
03-22-2010, 04:52 AM
he has great hands, his problem is he can't block to save his life

I don't completely agree, he looked very good in the Senior Bowl blocking, and made some nice blocks throughout the year. I think he can be a decent blocker, but a real receiving threat.

He just needs to continue to develop, and get the ball.

Night Train
03-22-2010, 07:04 AM
If he can split the middle on the seam route and have a QB get the ball to him, his value is huge. He has that ability.

He can worki on blocking. Fred Jackson never threw a block in his life up until 2008. He learned. That's common among RB's and receivers, depending on past experience in pro's & college.

jamze132
03-22-2010, 07:13 AM
I don't think we know enough about 50 or so players on the roster to know whether or not they are worth a damn, thanks to the previosu regime. Hopefully we will have some better coaches that can get the most out of each player.

I think Nelson has the talent to be a very good TE, but he never would have developed into that under Jauron Inc.

We shall see.

Beebe's Kid
03-22-2010, 07:15 PM
I don't think we know enough about 50 or so players on the roster to know whether or not they are worth a damn, thanks to the previosu regime. Hopefully we will have some better coaches that can get the most out of each player.

I think Nelson has the talent to be a very good TE, but he never would have developed into that under Jauron Inc.

We shall see.

I couldn't agree more with this statement.

We knew that our QB's could not create opportunities to deliver the ball deep, yet we still sent Evans and TO straight down field every play. Dickie J and his band of gypsies was horrible at using the talent of his players. You always hear "the problem is there is no talent on this team" **** that... there is a lot of ****ing talent on this team. We'll see this year. We are going to turn a lot of heads, and if you think I am being a homer, you're 100% right. I am getting pumped already!!

Jeff1220
03-22-2010, 08:37 PM

We knew that our QB's could not create opportunities to deliver the ball deep, yet we still sent Evans and TO straight down field every play. Dickie J and his band of gypsies was horrible at using the talent of his players. You always hear "the problem is there is no talent on this team" **** that... there is a lot of ****ing talent on this team. We'll see this year. We are going to turn a lot of heads, and if you think I am being a homer, you're 100% right. I am getting pumped already!!

At least you admit it. :up:

jamze132
03-23-2010, 05:24 PM

I wish I could share your enthusiasm right now but let's give it a few more months.

Mr. Pink
03-23-2010, 05:31 PM
Another player that apparently is completely overvalued and overhyped by the fanbase.

He showed a whole lot of nothing last year and he's gonna be a probowler?

Ok then!

NOT THE DUDE...
03-24-2010, 07:15 AM
When its all said and done, nelson could end up being our best pick in the last 2 or 3 years....