• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BillsOwnAll
    My IQ Test results came back negative
    • Oct 2002

Shawn Nelson?

Now I'm not a big college football fan. But I heard last year Shawn Nelson was a top 3 TE in the draft. Then the Bills drafted him. Does he have "game changing" ability? I know he got hurt last year but, he looked good when he was in there. Whats his deal. Is he a long term answer at TE?
  • buffalobillsfan95
    • Jan 2010

Re: Shawn Nelson?

he has great hands, his problem is he can't block to save his life
    “The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits.” -Albert Einstein

Comment

• more cowbell
      • Apr 2006

He is one of the few players on the roster who is actually worth a damn
      The last time the Bills made the playoffs was 1999.

Comment

• YardRat
        Well, lookie here...
        • Dec 2004

He's going to be able to help spread the field with his receiving skills, and that's going to give him and others more opportunities to make big plays. I like what he brings to the table.
        YardRat Wall of Fame
        #56 DARRYL TALLEY
        #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• casdhf
          • Jul 2002

He'll make a Pro Bowl before his career is over.
          Originally posted by BillsZone Mod
          cas,

I'm just letting you know that you have been given 2 points for telling Wys AKA Mark to kill himself.

BillsZone Mod

Comment

• Romes
            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by more cowbell
            He is one of the few players on the roster who is actually worth a damn
            He is one of the few players on this team I'm optimistic about.
            Originally posted by paladin warrior
            RALPH is drove me nut.

Comment

• BillsOwnAll
              My IQ Test results came back negative
              • Oct 2002

Ok well thats pretty much what I thought. I was excited about him last year. But i seen a few threads about needing a TE and drafting one. So i was concerned lol.

Comment

• psubills62
                Legendary Zoner
                • Sep 2008

It's not like he showed himself as a Jason Witten last year, but I think it's more of a case where our receivers were all in the same boat, and it was sinking. He's supposed to be a very good receiving TE with speed, and has the frame to become a decent blocker. He had a good block in week 1 (I think it may have sprung a TD run?) but other than that, I don't remember him showing too much.

He should definitely be the starting TE, and if we can get a legitimately decent offense (i.e. get an LT, WR, another RB, a blocking TE, and definitely a QB), then he should be able to develop into a very good TE.
                "Misguided political correctness tethers our intellects."
                - Nicholas Cummings

Comment

• psubills62
                  Legendary Zoner
                  • Sep 2008

Originally posted by BillsOwnAll
                  Ok well thats pretty much what I thought. I was excited about him last year. But i seen a few threads about needing a TE and drafting one. So i was concerned lol.
                  I'd say we need a blocking TE, like Colin Peek. Nelson is a fine starter, but we could use someone who is a good safety valve in the passing game, but can help our sad OL move the ball on the ground.
                  "Misguided political correctness tethers our intellects."
                  - Nicholas Cummings

Comment

• TigerJ
                    • Jul 2002

Originally posted by buffalobillsfan95
                    Shawn Nelson, like a lot of college tight ends was not asked to do a lot of blocking in college. Compared with some tight ends, he actually showed some willingness to block. It may take a while, but I think his blocking may become at least serviceable.
                    I've made up my mind. Don't confuse me with the facts.

I'm the most reasonable poster here. If you don't agree, I'll be forced to have a hissy fit.

Comment

• BillsWin
                      man amongst boys
                      • Oct 2008

Nelson will be a pro bowl tight end in my opinion. He has the skills, he needs some coaching on blocking, but showed improvment when he was healthy. I like him a lot. There is a lot of potential with last years draft. Byrd is a playmaker, Wood is a future pro bowler, Levitre is solid, Nelson seems to have a bright future ahead, Maybin may be switching to a natural position for him. We need another draft like that, except with more immediate impact, and hopefully less injuries!!!
                      I am The Batman.

Comment

• JCBills
                        • Jan 2010

I think Nelson showed a lot of good things last season. He was my absolute favorite prospect in the draft last year, and freaked when we picked him.

He has receiver speed and great leaping ability. His blocking progressed as the year went on, and I think him not getting the ball much was a result of the complete passing game woes we had last season. When you can't get the ball to Lee Evans and T.O., Nelson not blowing up as a rookie is understandable, though out of his 17 catches, quite a few were memorable plays.

We probably could use a primarily blocking TE at the #2 spot.

Stupar also showed some good things, and could make the roster as a #2/#3.

At the earliest, TE is probably a 6th round need, though they could probably just try an abundance of UDFA TEs.
                        Last edited by JCBills; 03-21-2010, 11:48 PM.

Comment

• Buddo
                          • Mar 2007

TE is a position of need, mainly because we only have Nelson. Given more time to develop, i.e. this year, I think he will become possibly the best TE the Bills have ever had, as I believe he has the best natural 'hands' of anyone on the roster, aside from perhaps Byrd. He also has nice size, and is by far and away the quickest TE we've had in years.
                          The only other TE on the roster, who has done anything of note, is SChouman, who does show some promise, but has been incapable of staying on the field for more than a third of a season.

Comment

I actually think TE is a bigger need than people think.

Nelson spent a lot of time lining up in the slot at college and with his natural speed could easily be used as a big WR.

An all around TE would be a welcome addition to the team especially if someone like Rob Gronkowski fell to us in the 3rd.

The top teams routinely spend more than one high round pick on a TE - Patriots, Steelers etc

Comment

• X-Era
                              What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
                              • Feb 2005

Originally posted by buffalobillsfan95
                              I don't completely agree, he looked very good in the Senior Bowl blocking, and made some nice blocks throughout the year. I think he can be a decent blocker, but a real receiving threat.

He just needs to continue to develop, and get the ball.

Comment

Working...
                              X