PDA

View Full Version : My New Bills Mock

PECKERWOOD
03-21-2010, 08:46 PM
So I haven't done a Bills mock in about 2-3 months maybe, so with draft day getting closer, I devised a new mock that I think could very well be realistic. First, here is my old mock from 2/11:

Mock Draft Last Updated On 2/11
1.) Bryan Bulaga, OT, Iowa
2.) Brandon Spikes, ILB, Florida
3.) Sergio Kindle, OLB, Texas
4.) Ed Dickson, TE, Oregon

Here is my new mock draft for the Bills, post combine & free agency, etc.:

1.) CJ Spiller, RB, Clemson
2.) Tim Tebow, QB, Florida
3.) Jason Fox, OT, Miami
4.) Torrell Troup, NT, Central Florida
5.) Eric Decker, WR, Minnesota
6.) Matt Kopa, OT, Stanford
7.) Mike Williams, WR, Syracuse
7.) DeMarcus Granger, NT, Oklahoma

Taking a RB in the 1st is obviously going to piss some people off and I understand that, because until recently I was one of those people too, until I realized that Spiller would be nasty in the option offense with Tebow at QB. My 3rd round pick Jason Fox was considered to be a 1st round talent at one point, but due to injuries he has slipped a couple rounds, but nevertheless he should be healthy by now and could man the LT position for at least one season. Troup, Granger and Harvey would fight for the starting NT position via training camp battle, with an end result which would hopefully mean having a stout DL. The rest of the picks are guys that I've liked and followed in college a bit, Decker, Kopa & Williams are all solid late round prospects and I think would make the 53 man roster. Anyways, I was just bored of the Bulaga/Clausen rage with the 9th pick so I wanted to try something new out.

SirMcGee
03-21-2010, 08:53 PM
Ummm. No thanks.

Dantheman1280
03-21-2010, 09:30 PM
No to Tebow. Troupe is a beast

psubills62
03-21-2010, 10:01 PM
So I'm not really keen on taking Spiller at 9, although it's grown on me a little bit in the past couple weeks. However, if we then proceeded to take Tebow with our 2nd round pick, I would be royally pissed.

I understand that some people "believe this will happen." I don't for a single second, especially in that combination. We have huge needs on both lines, and we're going to go the first two rounds without addressing either one? I have an extremely hard time believing that.

If we managed to get Spiller and Saffold (I don't think he'll actually be there for us in the second, but we'll see), that would be fine with me.

The Spaz
03-21-2010, 10:05 PM
No on Tebow and no on Mike Williams. Mike Williams is one local guy I wouldn't want on the Bills.

PECKERWOOD
03-21-2010, 10:47 PM
So I'm not really keen on taking Spiller at 9, although it's grown on me a little bit in the past couple weeks. However, if we then proceeded to take Tebow with our 2nd round pick, I would be royally pissed.

I understand that some people "believe this will happen." I don't for a single second, especially in that combination. We have huge needs on both lines, and we're going to go the first two rounds without addressing either one? I have an extremely hard time believing that.

If we managed to get Spiller and Saffold (I don't think he'll actually be there for us in the second, but we'll see), that would be fine with me.

I think Spiller & Saffold would be an awesome progression of picks, but if we go into next year with Trent or Fitz as our starter, I'm going to be sick to my stomach. Something has got to give and overall, I just really like Tebow's character and work ethic, he has strong faith and is a believer, I like that about him too, not to mention his athleticism and physical build is that of a 1st round prospect.

:idunno:

Could Fox hold up at LT for us? Would Tony Washington be around in the 3rd round instead? We would have to rely on Gailey to get creative with our offense to keep the pressure off of Tebow. It would be up to Spiller, Lynch & Jackson to carry the offense with Tebow managing things.

psubills62
03-21-2010, 11:00 PM
I think Spiller & Saffold would be an awesome progression of picks, but if we go into next year with Trent or Fitz as our starter, I'm going to be sick to my stomach. Something has got to give and overall, I just really like Tebow's character and work ethic, he has strong faith and is a believer, I like that about him too, not to mention his athleticism and physical build is that of a 1st round prospect.

:idunno:

Could Fox hold up at LT for us? Would Tony Washington be around in the 3rd round instead? We would have to rely on Gailey to get creative with our offense to keep the pressure off of Tebow. It would be up to Spiller, Lynch & Jackson to carry the offense with Tebow managing things.

The problem is, Tebow would be nowhere near ready to start for us until about 2012. So we'd be in the exact same situation/

I believe that Buffalo will indeed go after a QB, but probably in the later rounds. I'm thinking Brohm and Edwards will compete for the starting position, and we'll aim for getting a franchise QB in the next draft.

There are some things I like about Tebow. That being said, I don't think we should pick him unless we're prepared to definitively fill all our other needs (OLB, NT, LT, WR) in this draft also. Don't get me wrong...I'm a Christian as well and I appreciate Tebow for that. I like him as a person, but as a second round draft pick, I'd be a tad miffed about it.

I'd rather not count on getting our starting LT from the 3rd round. Fox may end up being a decent pick long-term, but we need a guy that can come in and start right away. The unfortunate part is that we need that sort of player at too many positions.

Like I said, I'm warming up to the thought of Spiller in the first, especially if Okung/Bulaga/Williams are all gone by #9. There are a few options I'd prefer over Spiller, but I would still be excited about a playmaker like that taking our offense to the next level.

But in the end, I think they can only afford one of the "luxury" picks (Spiller/Tebow). And yes, I see Tebow as a luxury pick, mainly because the team that drafts him will have to have the luxury of the time to develop him. Maybe teams like Denver, San Francisco, Seattle, Carolina, Jacksonville, etc. who have capable stopgaps at QB currently.

PECKERWOOD
03-21-2010, 11:02 PM
I think that Tebow wouldn't be ready to start for most NFL teams until sitting on the bench for a couple years, but with Gailey in Buffalo the transition should be much easier on him, I think the distinction must be made, Tebow is a great fit for Gailey's offense.

JCBills
03-21-2010, 11:49 PM
No to Tebow. Troup is a beast

Agree on both 110%

JCBills
03-21-2010, 11:50 PM
I think that Tebow wouldn't be ready to start for most NFL teams until sitting on the bench for a couple years, but with Gailey in Buffalo the transition should be much easier on him, I think the distinction must be made, Tebow is a great fit for Gailey's offense.

Gailey doesn't have an offense, outside of running the ball a lot and adjusting everything else to what he has.

JCBills
03-21-2010, 11:53 PM
3.) Jason Fox, OT, Miami

1. Luxury pick we're not in the position for.
2. I don't like taking project players in the 2nd round, or on the 2nd day completely.
3. Probably an NFL RT with toughness issues.
4. Best pick on there.
5. Good time to look WR but will he last?

SABURZFAN
03-22-2010, 02:25 AM
So I haven't done a Bills mock in about 2-3 months maybe, so with draft day getting closer, I devised a new mock that I think could very well be realistic. First, here is my old mock from 2/11:

Here is my new mock draft for the Bills, post combine & free agency, etc.:

3.) Jason Fox, OT, Miami

Taking a RB in the 1st is obviously going to piss some people off and I understand that, because until recently I was one of those people too, until I realized that Spiller would be nasty in the option offense with Tebow at QB. My 3rd round pick Jason Fox was considered to be a 1st round talent at one point, but due to injuries he has slipped a couple rounds, but nevertheless he should be healthy by now and could man the LT position for at least one season. Troup, Granger and Harvey would fight for the starting NT position via training camp battle, with an end result which would hopefully mean having a stout DL. The rest of the picks are guys that I've liked and followed in college a bit, Decker, Kopa & Williams are all solid late round prospects and I think would make the 53 man roster. Anyways, I was just bored of the Bulaga/Clausen rage with the 9th pick so I wanted to try something new out.

i can live with the Spiller pick but your draft went to **** in the 2nd round.

kernowboy
03-22-2010, 03:52 AM
Fox has horrible health concerns which are not easily fixed with possible heart problems in addition to a knee injury.

Washington is a registered sex offender (happy time with his sister no less)

Williams is another character flag who quit on his team.

Granger is another colossal injury risk as well as being a character flag.

Are you opening a jail/hospital or selecting for a football team?

kernowboy
03-22-2010, 04:17 AM
I see our needs on the team as follows

QB
LT
NT
OLB

followed by

WR/TE - some sort of receiving weapon
DE - depth
RT/OL - depth

I can see you've not done OLB - In my mock draft, I've not gone for QB

I think that proves that it will take more than one draft to fill all the positions of need on this football team.

For me, Spiller would be a McGahee like move, where we have much greater needs elsewhere, that might not be as 'sexy' but will help the team move forward more quickly. I would only draft Spiller if we knew as a certainly we would trade Lynch and/or Jackson. Drafting him wthout doing so would immediately cause team chemistry issues. For the record in my mock I trade Lynch but use the pick on value elsewhere. For me, RB is one position you rarely need to spend a R1 pick on to get a top player.

As for QB/LT I don't we can satisfy effectively both needs in one draft as I think the Top9 OT in this draft, down to Veldheer will be gone by No39. The question then comes down what comes first, a bit like asking what can first: the chicken or the egg .... you never will get agreement on this.

YardRat
03-22-2010, 06:30 AM
Love the Troup pick, and I'm leaning toward us taking more than one WR the closer we get to the draft unless somebody is signed from FA/cuts.

I could live with Spiller, hate choosing Tebow, but would prefer we go LT/NT in the first two rounds.

tampabay25690
03-22-2010, 06:51 AM
I like that mock....
Everyone says TEBOW wont be ready and YES you are correct even the 2 QB's that will be OVERPAID in Bradford and Clausen will not be ready to play this year.

Give Tebow 1 year behind a starting QB and let him dable a bit in red zone offense and short yardage and there is no doubt he will be ready.......

Spiller I like this pick alot even know I DONT SEE it happening at all.....SMOKE SCREEN for someone to trade spots with us IMO.......Spiller is a playmaker and I can see Seattle trading to 9 to grab him.....

jamze132
03-22-2010, 07:10 AM
Like it or not, Tebow is going in the 2nd round. His PR worth is worth a 2nd round pick to 30 NFL teams. Might as well be Buffalo.

NOT THE DUDE...
03-22-2010, 07:20 AM
i like tebow in the 2nd, but i want brandon graham in the 1st..

casdhf
03-22-2010, 09:36 AM
I hope we dont draft anything except OL and DL ... and LBs and WRs ... maybe a QB or HB prospect wouldnt be a bad idea. And a guy that can return punts ... but thats it. No other positions should be even considered.