PDA

View Full Version : Browns will take a QB but not early...

DraftBoy
03-22-2010, 12:10 PM
http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2010/03/holmgren_says_cleveland_browns.html

ORLANDO, Fla. -- With 12 picks in the April 22-24 NFL draft -- their most since 2000 -- the Browns can go in a number of directions in the first year of the Mike Holmgren-Tom Heckert era.

There is no mystery about one thing. They will draft a quarterback. The president of the team is not shy about saying so.

"It's just something we have to do," Holmgren said as he embarked on his first NFL owners meetings as president of the Browns. "Why wait? I'm 61. I don't want to wait for anyone. We're going to have to do this."

His thoughts on Jimmy Clausen;

As for the second-ranked quarterback in the draft, Jimmy Clausen of Notre Dame, Holmgren was characteristically honest.

"I wish I liked him more," he said. "You know how you have a type of player that you like? It's not scientific. People like him a lot. He'll go high. But it would be hard for me [to take him]."

Dicknoze69
03-22-2010, 12:29 PM
Most people think this is a smokescreen, but Holmgren, like Rex Ryan and a few others, is usually pretty open and honest.

I think this also lends evidence to something I've been saying for a while: Clausen isn't nearly as highly ranked among professionals as he is among media/fans. I think he's going to have a draft-day slide.

Cntrygal
03-22-2010, 12:36 PM
:sigh:

"It's just something we have to do," Holmgren said as he embarked on his first NFL owners meetings as president of the Browns. "Why wait? I'm 61. I don't want to wait for anyone. We're going to have to do this."

My first thought was "and Ralphie is how old?"

Mr. Pink
03-22-2010, 01:05 PM
Clear sign the Browns aren't looking to go QB early in the draft....

"But, here's the dilemma," he said. "There are areas of the football team that we really have to help -- the secondary, offensive line -- to get the team better. This year it would be pretty hard to use the second [round] pick to get a quarterback. It would be pretty hard for me.

"Next year might be easier. We've got [three picks in the third round and four in the fifth round] going for us. But I'd have to have another second-round pick [to take a quarterback in the second round]."

jamze132
03-22-2010, 01:46 PM
Well I hope we don't take Clausen either. It almost rhymes with Losman.

Buddo
03-22-2010, 02:53 PM
Sounds to me like Holmgren doesn't see 'franchise' when he looks at Clausen, and would prefer to use his picks on players he's confident will produce early.
Seems to me that the Bills could also be singing from that same hymn sheet. Only difference being that Nix isn't going to tip his hand about the draft in a hurry.
Personally, I don't want to pick a QB @ #9 unless I believe he will be a 'franchise' QB, and the only guy I see like that, is Bradford, in this draft.
For all that Gailey seems to be able to get decent production out of almost any QB, through tailoring his offense to suit, I'd be pretty sure he would prefer to work with a QB who he feels can 'do it all'.