X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DesertFox24
    • Jul 2005

Donte Tweet

Donte tweeted that the team is moving to olympic style lifting and they are all excited about it.

As a resulted I wanted to look up the benefits and found this tid bit.

Using Olympic exercises in your bodybuilding training creates tremendous physique development. Here are just a few of the advantages derived from Olympic lifts. Coordination, balance, concentration, flexibility, speed development, and most importantly, for bodybuilders, great upper body thickness! That's right amigo's, I said "thick". If you want a thick upper back, and wide shoulders that will envy even Ronnie Coleman, then these exercises should be added into your bodybuilding regimen.
    The four lifts described below are Olympic auxiliary lifts. These lifts usually start slowly and finish fast and dynamically. These lifts should be performed under control. So keep the bar off your thighs with no wild, jerking, or bouncing motions.

Here is the link.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/schultz26.htm
  • G Wolly
    • Mar 2004

Re: Donte Tweet

If it translates to onfield production, that's great.

Otherwise STFU Donte

Comment

• NOT THE DUDE...
      Formerly MARCELL DAREUS POWER, now posting as DANNY BATTEN POWER
      • Jan 2010

i dont think it will really translate into becoming a better player. i just think the players will have less injuries...

Comment

• HopefulBillsFan
        • Jan 2010

Originally posted by G Wolly
        If it translates to onfield production, that's great.

Otherwise STFU Donte
        I think that is why the OP posted what this style of lifting does.. It seems to be quite the workout, and i could see how it would potentially translate into good results.

Comment

• ZAZusmc03
          • Jan 2010

Olympic style lifting is great for explosiveness, I hope that works out well for the team.

Comment

• mush69
            • Jan 2003

We brought in 2 new trainers this year, so I would hope that the players would see a few different styles an some changes to their routines. Afterall with the injuries they suffered as a team, some of that has to point to conditioning and the wieght room.
            Don't Mistake Lack Of Talent For Genius

Comment

• Strongman
              • Apr 2006

Olympic style lifting is GREAT for football players because it trains the fast-twitch muscle fibers that are important in explosive sports like football. Done properly, it will make people much stronger and faster.

Comment

• DesertFox24
                • Jul 2005

Also looks like it will help with speed, balance, core strength, and in another article it says it will get your upper body uber thick.

I did some of this when I played college basketball and it really helped my vert, and my speed as I used to be able to run a 5:39 mile, and I am not what one would consider an athlete lol.

Like the other posters said hopefully it will help with explosiveness, injuries, and make our guys stronger.

I also read that these types of lifts are great for athletes because every exercise uses so many muscle groups in each exercise, which is the opposite of body building which is all about muscle isolation.

Saw something where so romanian lifting champ came to the US and did a 42 inch vert in weight lifting shoes.

Also saw where a US lifter about 6'1 and 230+ did a 39 inch vert, and he used Olympic style lifting.

Comment

• DBrown77
                  Watching the Bills suck since 1999
                  • Mar 2005

This will help as much as the Kung Fu master we brought in last year

Comment

• HopefulBillsFan
                    • Jan 2010

Originally posted by DBrown77
                    This will help as much as the Kung Fu master we brought in last year
                    our sack total from 2008-2009 went up didnt it?

Comment

• PECKERWOOD
                      Defies all logic
                      • Oct 2006

Originally posted by ZAZusmc03
                      Olympic style lifting is great for explosiveness, I hope that works out well for the team.
                      Yeah, as far as the thickness comment goes, I'm not entirely sure about that. Look at the biggest and baddest Olympian power lifters out there, their bodies typically look fat and flabby.

Comment

• Jersey1031
                        • Feb 2003

yeah but will it keep them healthy.......
                        "I'm cold, yeah I get my BUFFALO BILL on!" Lil' Wayne

Comment

• Strongman
                          • Apr 2006

Originally posted by PECKERWOOD
                          Yeah, as far as the thickness comment goes, I'm not entirely sure about that. Look at the biggest and baddest Olympian power lifters out there, their bodies typically look fat and flabby.
                          Some do carry quite a bit of bodyfat, but underneath it is some MASSIVE muscle development. Their primary focus is to lift the most weight possible, instead of looking ripped like bodybuilders. Carrying some extra fat allows them to do that.

Bodybuilders look impressive, but they don't have the functional muscle mass or strength of Olympic lifters, powerlifters, or other strength athletes.

Comment

• PECKERWOOD
                            Defies all logic
                            • Oct 2006

Originally posted by Strongman
                            Some do carry quite a bit of bodyfat, but underneath it is some MASSIVE muscle development. Their primary focus is to lift the most weight possible, instead of looking ripped like bodybuilders. Carrying some extra fat allows them to do that.

Bodybuilders look impressive, but they don't have the functional muscle mass or strength of Olympic lifters, powerlifters, or other strength athletes.
                            I agree that they're definitely more powerful, but then again could they run for 60 minutes and still break world power lifting records?

Comment

• BillsWin
                              man amongst boys
                              • Oct 2008

That's how we lifted in college. It is tiring and tough, but man does it help. Noticeable increases in flexibility, strength, endurance and agility.

It makes you more explosive off the snap and makes it easier to turn and switch direction.

Depending on what type of reps and sets they will be doing, along with weight, they will either be trying to get quicker and build endurance and stamina, or they will noticeably grow in bulk and muscle mass.

I like this move a lot. But, they will also need to be on a strict caloric intake monitoring diet and resting on their off days is imperative.

Good luck with the squats though. That **** tore up my knees something fierce.
                              I am The Batman.

Comment

Working...
                              X