PDA

View Full Version : Donte Tweet

DesertFox24
03-22-2010, 02:23 PM
Donte tweeted that the team is moving to olympic style lifting and they are all excited about it.

As a resulted I wanted to look up the benefits and found this tid bit.

Using Olympic exercises in your bodybuilding training creates tremendous physique development. Here are just a few of the advantages derived from Olympic lifts. Coordination, balance, concentration, flexibility, speed development, and most importantly, for bodybuilders, great upper body thickness! That's right amigo's, I said "thick". If you want a thick upper back, and wide shoulders that will envy even Ronnie Coleman, then these exercises should be added into your bodybuilding regimen.
The four lifts described below are Olympic auxiliary lifts. These lifts usually start slowly and finish fast and dynamically. These lifts should be performed under control. So keep the bar off your thighs with no wild, jerking, or bouncing motions.

Here is the link.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/schultz26.htm

G Wolly
03-22-2010, 02:28 PM
If it translates to onfield production, that's great.

Otherwise STFU Donte

NOT THE DUDE...
03-22-2010, 02:30 PM
i dont think it will really translate into becoming a better player. i just think the players will have less injuries...

HopefulBillsFan
03-22-2010, 02:30 PM
If it translates to onfield production, that's great.

Otherwise STFU Donte

I think that is why the OP posted what this style of lifting does.. It seems to be quite the workout, and i could see how it would potentially translate into good results.

ZAZusmc03
03-22-2010, 02:31 PM
Olympic style lifting is great for explosiveness, I hope that works out well for the team.

mush69
03-22-2010, 02:51 PM
We brought in 2 new trainers this year, so I would hope that the players would see a few different styles an some changes to their routines. Afterall with the injuries they suffered as a team, some of that has to point to conditioning and the wieght room.

Strongman
03-22-2010, 02:51 PM
Olympic style lifting is GREAT for football players because it trains the fast-twitch muscle fibers that are important in explosive sports like football. Done properly, it will make people much stronger and faster.

DesertFox24
03-22-2010, 03:14 PM
Also looks like it will help with speed, balance, core strength, and in another article it says it will get your upper body uber thick.

I did some of this when I played college basketball and it really helped my vert, and my speed as I used to be able to run a 5:39 mile, and I am not what one would consider an athlete lol.

Like the other posters said hopefully it will help with explosiveness, injuries, and make our guys stronger.

I also read that these types of lifts are great for athletes because every exercise uses so many muscle groups in each exercise, which is the opposite of body building which is all about muscle isolation.

Saw something where so romanian lifting champ came to the US and did a 42 inch vert in weight lifting shoes.

Also saw where a US lifter about 6'1 and 230+ did a 39 inch vert, and he used Olympic style lifting.

DBrown77
03-22-2010, 07:53 PM
This will help as much as the Kung Fu master we brought in last year

HopefulBillsFan
03-22-2010, 08:13 PM
This will help as much as the Kung Fu master we brought in last year

our sack total from 2008-2009 went up didnt it?

PECKERWOOD
03-22-2010, 08:22 PM
Olympic style lifting is great for explosiveness, I hope that works out well for the team.

Yeah, as far as the thickness comment goes, I'm not entirely sure about that. Look at the biggest and baddest Olympian power lifters out there, their bodies typically look fat and flabby.

Jersey1031
03-22-2010, 08:24 PM
yeah but will it keep them healthy.......

Strongman
03-22-2010, 09:24 PM
Yeah, as far as the thickness comment goes, I'm not entirely sure about that. Look at the biggest and baddest Olympian power lifters out there, their bodies typically look fat and flabby.

Some do carry quite a bit of bodyfat, but underneath it is some MASSIVE muscle development. Their primary focus is to lift the most weight possible, instead of looking ripped like bodybuilders. Carrying some extra fat allows them to do that.

Bodybuilders look impressive, but they don't have the functional muscle mass or strength of Olympic lifters, powerlifters, or other strength athletes.

PECKERWOOD
03-22-2010, 09:35 PM
Some do carry quite a bit of bodyfat, but underneath it is some MASSIVE muscle development. Their primary focus is to lift the most weight possible, instead of looking ripped like bodybuilders. Carrying some extra fat allows them to do that.

Bodybuilders look impressive, but they don't have the functional muscle mass or strength of Olympic lifters, powerlifters, or other strength athletes.

I agree that they're definitely more powerful, but then again could they run for 60 minutes and still break world power lifting records?

BillsWin
03-22-2010, 09:36 PM
That's how we lifted in college. It is tiring and tough, but man does it help. Noticeable increases in flexibility, strength, endurance and agility.

It makes you more explosive off the snap and makes it easier to turn and switch direction.

Depending on what type of reps and sets they will be doing, along with weight, they will either be trying to get quicker and build endurance and stamina, or they will noticeably grow in bulk and muscle mass.

I like this move a lot. But, they will also need to be on a strict caloric intake monitoring diet and resting on their off days is imperative.

Good luck with the squats though. That **** tore up my knees something fierce.

buffalobillsfan95
03-22-2010, 09:38 PM
with this training can kyle williams be bulked up to be a NT?

PECKERWOOD
03-22-2010, 09:48 PM
That's how we lifted in college. It is tiring and tough, but man does it help. Noticeable increases in flexibility, strength, endurance and agility.

It makes you more explosive off the snap and makes it easier to turn and switch direction.

Depending on what type of reps and sets they will be doing, along with weight, they will either be trying to get quicker and build endurance and stamina, or they will noticeably grow in bulk and muscle mass.

I like this move a lot. But, they will also need to be on a strict caloric intake monitoring diet and resting on their off days is imperative.

Good luck with the squats though. That **** tore up my knees something fierce.

Powerlifting/Olympic lifting IS dangerous, squats, deadlifts and powercleans can snap bones, tear ligaments and destroy joints if your technique is awful.

BUFF Bills
03-22-2010, 10:05 PM
I'd like to know what kind of weight training they WERE doing, since they're just now starting with olympic lifts... It's hard to believe they weren't doing this all along. Power lifts are the REAL money makers.

TigerJ
03-22-2010, 11:10 PM
It would be fascinating to learn what various kinds of lifting and conditioning philosophies and practices are used around the NFL, and who else does Olympic style lifting. Anyone have an idea how to research that?

BillsWin
03-22-2010, 11:21 PM
Powerlifting/Olympic lifting IS dangerous, squats, deadlifts and powercleans can snap bones, tear ligaments and destroy joints if your technique is awful.

Sometimes it takes just one bad squat or lift to tear something. Maybe you didn't arch your back properly. Or you bent at the knees too much. Its crazy.

DBrown77
03-23-2010, 07:19 AM
our sack total from 2008-2009 went up didnt it? If it did i will credit the Kung Fu Master for you

DesertFox24
03-23-2010, 07:23 AM
If it did i will credit the Kung Fu Master for you

Well did you credit him yet, because a simple search on NFL.com will reveal that it did.

Strongman
03-23-2010, 07:25 AM
I agree that they're definitely more powerful, but then again could they run for 60 minutes and still break world power lifting records?

I'm not sure what your point is. I doubt the superheavies could run for 60 minutes, but then again, their sport doesn't require them to run for 60 minutes and then lift. Some of the lighter weight classes might be able to run for 60 minutes.

I'm pretty sure the Bills players will incorporate some aerobic conditioning into their workouts. They won't be one dimensional athletes.

Strongman
03-23-2010, 07:37 AM
It would be fascinating to learn what various kinds of lifting and conditioning philosophies and practices are used around the NFL, and who else does Olympic style lifting. Anyone have an idea how to research that?

I think many were influenced by Bill Starr's philosophies surrounding weightlifting. I'm pretty sure most of them read his book Only the Strongest Shall Survive. Mostly it is using the "Big Three" exercises (benches, squats, deadlifts, plus some auxillary work) in a 5x5 format.

I know for a fact a former Bengal's strength coach (Kim Wood) used such a system plus he incorporated some odd object lifting (sandbags, kegs, etc.)

TigerJ
03-23-2010, 08:01 AM
I think many were influenced by Bill Starr's philosophies surrounding weightlifting. I'm pretty sure most of them read his book Only the Strongest Shall Survive. Mostly it is using the "Big Three" exercises (benches, squats, deadlifts, plus some auxillary work) in a 5x5 format.

I know for a fact a former Bengal's strength coach (Kim Wood) used such a system plus he incorporated some odd object lifting (sandbags, kegs, etc.)

So, if the Bills go with Olympic style weightlifting, they may be going a bit against the grain?

methos4ever
03-23-2010, 08:26 AM
So, if the Bills go with Olympic style weightlifting, they may be going a bit against the grain?
Some do it, some don't tiger. I know here at Pitt, our S&C Coach got away from the Olympic lifts because you need around 10,000 reps of each exercise to have it become muscle memory, so he's put our guys on a Russian style of lifting. Apparently, a lot of the collegiate S&C guys are Olympic fans and look down on the Russian methods. Buddy (our coach here) also helped out at UB before returning to Pitt.

Here's some info on him and I'll try to find the articles he gave me on the debate:
http://www.pittsburghpanthers.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/morris_buddy01.html

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/college/s_651027.html

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=117343831

And here's some video interviewing with him, going over how guys get injured during training and some of the keys to rehab:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkxt6r1Q8ls

better days
03-23-2010, 09:06 AM
Sometimes it takes just one bad squat or lift to tear something. Maybe you didn't arch your back properly. Or you bent at the knees too much. Its crazy.

With all the injuries the Bills had last year, I'm not going to worry about that. I trust the trainers will have them do things properly.

justasportsfan
03-23-2010, 10:22 AM
I hope we can get Donte to do Olympic style wrestling to so he can tackle better

djjimkelly
03-23-2010, 10:23 AM

i work out pretty hard 5'11 210 jacked

and i dont care what type of lifting you doing if your form is bad you will get hurt

and more importantly wont grow the same

i laugh when at the gym guys half my size using way more weight then im using wrenching their bodies to get it up and the look the same after training for 6 months

with proper form u should be able to make 135 or 315 feel the same

jamze132
03-23-2010, 05:53 PM
So... we're not gonna do any P90X? I know a certain Bills fan who is going to be super pissed. :assclown:

Strongman
03-23-2010, 08:41 PM

Not really. I think most S&C coaches recognize how valuable Olympic lifting is. I'm sure many teams do use Olympic lifts or some of their variations like powercleans. Bill Starr advocates Olympic style lifting only when good coaching is available. A professional organization like the Bills will have good coaches that can teach the Olympic lifts.