• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • T-Long
    Circling the Wagons since 1982.
    • Sep 2003

Buddy Nix snoozes during start of free agency

ORLANDO, Fla. -- At 12:01 a.m. on the opening day of free agency, the Miami Dolphins were arranging to meet with linebacker Karlos Dansby, the New York Jets were burning the phone lines and the New England Patriots were finalizing a deal to bring back a franchise nose tackle.

I asked Buffalo Bills general manager Buddy Nix what he was doing at that moment.

"Sleep," he said Monday while taking a break from the NFL owners meetings at the Ritz-Carlton Orlando Grande Lakes. "They asked me if I was going to be there, I said 'Hell, no. I'm not doing that. I'm going to bed.'"

Bills fans probably won't like the sound of that strategy. While the rest of the division's personnel men were getting their heads around the free-agency market, Nix was getting his head around his pillow.

That wasn't laziness on his part. He merely was following the Bills' master plan of building through the draft and cautiously proceeding in free agency.

"I still think you build through the draft," Nix said, "but you can't fill every hole, especially if you haven't been very good.

"We don't get excited about the first week or being up there at midnight and 12:01, signing somebody. We let it play itself out and make sure that the guys we get fit what we need and fill a need."

The Bills have brought in three free agents: right tackle Cornell Green from the Oakland Raiders, inside linebacker Andra Davis from the Denver Broncos and defensive end Dwan Edwards from the Baltimore Ravens.

Nix said those types of acquisitions not only improve a roster, but also help a team draft more efficiently.

"If you do that, then you're going to get in trouble," Nix said. "It kills you two ways. You take a guy that may not play, and then you're stuck with him and it keeps you from having a guy you can develop that can help you.

"Every time we sign a free agent, it frees a spot in the draft. You don't have to take that position. You can at least have choices and take the best player, and that's what usually helps you."

The rest of the AFC East has made splashy moves.

The Jets traded for cornerback Antonio Cromartie, dealt safety Kerry Rhodes and signed running back LaDainian Tomlinson. The Dolphins signed Dansby and guard Richie Incognito and made a push for safety Ryan Clark. The Patriots concentrated on re-signing their own players.

"Everybody else in the division has been proactive and aggressive, trying to improve themselves," Nix said, "and I think most of them have in the offseason."

But he said he wasn't concerned with losing ground in the AFC East.

"We're looking to build something solid so we can win consistently," Nix said. "We're not just trying to do it this year and then start over every year. Winning consistently is our goal."
  • psubills62
    Legendary Zoner
    • Sep 2008

Re: Buddy Nix snoozes during start of free agency

I'm sorry Tim Graham...since when did "making a push for Ryan Clark" and signing a Buffalo cast-off make a team so much better? I'll give him Dansby for sure, but I don't see those other points at all.
    "Misguided political correctness tethers our intellects."
    - Nicholas Cummings

Comment

• Beebe's Kid
      • Nov 2009

If any free-agent agrees at ten after midnight, in a normal year, not even in an extremely thin year where the FA's truly have the GM's by the short curly ones, you just paid too much.

I would prefer that our GM didn't show up at a player's door. What are you going to do? Leave with egg on your face, because you couldn't sign him? No. You write the check...guarantee a ton of money, and take it right in the chute.

Nix has a lot of work to do, so good for him on catching up on his Z's. I insist, Nix is dumb like a ****ing fox. He isn't concerned about losing ground in the AFC East for two reasons....1. We have no ground to lose. 2. We won't. The rebuilding is going rather well, and we haven't gotten to his forte yet, which is the draft.

Dumb like a fox, I tell ya, dumb like a fox.

Comment

• BertSquirtgum
        • May 2009

i'm fine with what nix did. that article or blog or whatever it is sucked.
        Last edited by BertSquirtgum; 03-22-2010, 07:04 PM.

Comment

• SquishDaFish
          Lets GO BUFFALO!!
          • Jun 2005

I love it. Bout time we have a good GM who sees the long term goal.

Comment

• Jaybird
            • Dec 2005

have no problem with the way Nix has handled the situation. he was not gonna throw big bucks at the top free agents anyways, so why screw around

Comment

• SABURZFAN
              short bus extraordinaire
              • Jul 2002

this team has been asleep for the last decade. another year is not going to kill us.
              Originally posted by yordad
              Christ, you are the queerest person in the history of Bills fanhood. I swear to god I would stomp you.

Comment

• justasportsfan
                • Jul 2002

Modrak was laying beside him and they were talking about FA through pillow talk.
                Last edited by justasportsfan; 03-22-2010, 09:18 PM.
                sacrifice1
                https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• Thief
                  • Sep 2009

'Hell, no. I'm not doing that. I'm going to bed.'"
                  I do not understand why you would not be calling FAs that may fill your needs right at midnight. Why are you letting other teams call them? Were we afraid Dansby would hurt?
                  "I still think you build through the draft," Nix said, "but you can't fill every hole, especially if you haven't been very good."
                  That is why you can not rely entirely on the draft.

"Every time we sign a free agent, it frees a spot in the draft. You don't have to take that position. You can at least have choices and take the best player, and that's what usually helps you."
                  Isn't this a contradiction?

"If you do that, then you're going to get in trouble," Nix said. "It kills you two ways. You take a guy that may not play, and then you're stuck with him and it keeps you from having a guy you can develop that can help you.
                  Wow. Thanks for playing not to lose. You don't sign free agents because you are afraid they will fail? WTF.
                  "Everybody else in the division has been proactive and aggressive, trying to improve themselves," Nix said, "and I think most of them have in the offseason."
                  ...........While you were sleeping!
                  Last edited by Thief; 03-22-2010, 10:10 PM.

Comment

• BillsWin
                    man amongst boys
                    • Oct 2008

Good ole' Buddy.

Honestly though, if you have a problem with this you are nuts.

So Buddy doesn't like free agency. Let's judge after the draft!
                    I am The Batman.

Comment

• mchurchfie
                      • Jul 2002

I hope he is good as he thinks he is at being able to fill most of our needs through the draft.
                      My Band
                      daveviterna.com

Comment

• JCBills
                        • Jan 2010

Originally posted by mchurchfie
                        I hope he is good as he thinks he is at being able to fill most of our needs through the draft.
                        Look at his draft record in 1 year with us and his time in San Diego, he probably gave us our best draft in a decade.

In 2004, three players Nix drafted were selected to the 2005 Pro Bowl. In 2005, six players Nix drafted were selected to the 2006 Pro Bowl. In 2006, eleven players Nix drafted were selected to the 2007 Pro Bowl. In 2007, eight players Nix drafted were selected to the 2008 Pro Bowl.

Comment

• PECKERWOOD
                          Defies all logic
                          • Oct 2006

I like Nix, he is a smart old man, he won me over with the Dwan Edwards & Andra Davis signings, but the jury is still out on how well he drafts, in a month I'll be able to say for sure whether or not I like him. I truly hope he is a BPA kind of guy, year in and year out, I think that strategy is the best.

Comment

• TrEd FTW
                            • Sep 2008

I ***** love Nix. He speaks his mind and couldn't care less what anyone thinks about it. Oh, and he knows football.

He's the best thing to happen to this joke of a franchise in a long while.
                            Last edited by TrEd FTW; 03-23-2010, 01:19 AM.

Comment

• JCBills
                              • Jan 2010

Originally posted by TrEd FTW
                              I ***** love Nix. He speaks his mind and couldn't care less what anyone thinks about it. Oh, and he knows football.

He's the best thing to happen to this joke of a franchise in a long while.
                              So true. I think in two years we'll be a serious contender if he continues his drafting trends.

Nix don't take **** from nobody. He's a grown ass man.

Comment

Working...
                              X