PDA

View Full Version : Gators WR Enjoys Having "A Real Quarterback"

JCBills
03-22-2010, 11:04 PM
http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/03/22/gator-wr-enjoys-having-a-real-quarterback/

Gator WR enjoys having 'a real quarterback'

Posted by John Taylor on March 22, 2010 8:26 PM ET
Tim Tebow has accumulated more than his fair share of detractors over the last three months, and figures to accumulate even more in the weeks leading up to the NFL draft. From draft analysts to general members of the media to fans, there seem to be individuals around every corner looking to take a shot at the former Florida quarterback and his pro potential.

Now, however, even a former teammate is looking to get in a shot or two on the former Heisman winner for how he orchestrated the QB position at the collegiate level.

Aside from Urban Meyer's return, the biggest storyline for the Gators this spring is John Brantley taking over UF's offense. Brantley is more of a throw-first QB, especially when compared to Tebow's "go through two reads, run like Pamplona bull into opposing defense" style of play.

The differences between the two quarterbacks has not been lost on his teammates, especially wide receiver Deonte Thompson. And, whether or not Thompson meant it to come out the way it did, his words as quoted by the Orlando Sentinel when talking about the differences between Brantley and Tebow were a direct, biting shot at the latter.

"You never know with Tim," Thompson said. "He can bolt. You think he's running but he'll come up and pass it to you. You just have to be ready. With Brantley, everything's with rhythm, with time. You know, a real quarterback (http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/sports_college_uf/2010/03/florida-gators-wr-deonte-thompson-sounds-happy-to-usher-in-post-tebow-era.html)."

Ummm, ouch?

Obviously, this means little or nothing as far as the 2010 Florida Gators are concerned, but it's still a little jarring to see an ex-teammate take a shot -- however indirect or unintentional it may have been -- at one of the iconic college football players in the last quarter century.

Again -- "A real quarterback"???

That stings me and I'm pretty much agnostic -- compared to most -- when it comes to Tebow. And, I would assume, it's a quote that Urban Meyer will not appreciate when it comes to his attention, especially in light of the criticism he's received for what observers see as a QB woefully prepared for success at the next level.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Buuuurrrrnnnnn.

The Spaz
03-22-2010, 11:24 PM
Zing...

BillsWin
03-22-2010, 11:25 PM
Shazam...

JCBills
03-22-2010, 11:29 PM
http://thebookitlist.files.wordpress.com/2009/09/kapow.jpg

BertSquirtgum
03-22-2010, 11:47 PM
to the moon, alice.

LtFinFan66
03-22-2010, 11:51 PM
now Chad Henne doesn't look quite so foolish

JCBills
03-22-2010, 11:56 PM
now Chad Henne doesn't look quite so foolish

I never thought he did, anyone who accomplishes something 3 times as a rookie that a Bills QB hasn't done in 54 games (throw for 300+ yds) deserves to be heard by Bills fans.

better days
03-23-2010, 12:45 AM
Yeah I'm sure this guy will break all of Tebows records.

PECKERWOOD
03-23-2010, 12:58 AM
Who is Deonte Thompson? He isn't even that good, who cares what he says.

Buffalogic
03-23-2010, 01:31 AM
Wow a wide receiver didn't exactly like a qb run heavy offense. Shocker.

SirMcGee
03-23-2010, 02:27 PM
If only Gator WR's can ever amount to anything at the next level...maybe i'd actually listen to them.

BertSquirtgum
03-23-2010, 02:36 PM
If only Gator WR's can ever amount to anything at the next level...maybe i'd actually listen to them.

see percy harvin

ZAZusmc03
03-23-2010, 02:37 PM

Apparently you weren't watching Percy Harvin for the Vikings or how well Louis Murphy did for the Raiders this past season.

Pinkerton Security
03-23-2010, 03:05 PM
Yeah I'm sure this guy will break all of Tebows records.

Except becoming the first Soph to win the Heisman, or first player to run for 20 TDs and throw for 20 TDs in one season, or the SEC record for rushing TDs and total TDs in a season...

hopefully you were being facetious bc Tebow is one of the most successful college football players ever, and I have never even been a big fan.

SirMcGee
03-23-2010, 03:26 PM
Apparently you weren't watching Percy Harvin for the Vikings or how well Louis Murphy did for the Raiders this past season.

OK how many WRs have come out of that college in the last decade? And you can only name one or 2 good WR? Forgot to mention the Chad Jacksons, Taylor Jacobs, Reche and Andre Caldwells, Dallas Bakers, the Jacquez Greens, the Ike Hilliards, etc. I even thought D-Jax was an overrated WR that benefitted in that west coast offense.

Im not impressed with the WR's they put out.

better days
03-23-2010, 04:03 PM
Except becoming the first Soph to win the Heisman, or first player to run for 20 TDs and throw for 20 TDs in one season, or the SEC record for rushing TDs and total TDs in a season...

hopefully you were being facetious bc Tebow is one of the most successful college football players ever, and I have never even been a big fan.

I think people on this board know I am a big Tebow fan. I was being TOTALLY sarcastic.

tampabay25690
03-23-2010, 04:35 PM
So funny.
Brantley is the better QB but Tebow is the better all around QB...
Brantley has alot of work to do but will throw a TON of Td's next year....

better days
03-23-2010, 05:37 PM
So funny.
Brantley is the better QB but Tebow is the better all around QB...
Brantley has alot of work to do but will throw a TON of Td's next year....

Are you saying he will throw more TD's than Tebow? As a Gator fan, I would love to see that, but I doubt it will happen.

jamze132
03-23-2010, 05:41 PM
I don't think Deonte meant anything malicious by it. I can see how it can be taken the wrong way, but I know he and Tebow are pretty good buddies.

tampabay25690
03-23-2010, 06:29 PM
Are you saying he will throw more TD's than Tebow? As a Gator fan, I would love to see that, but I doubt it will happen.

YES he will....
Brantley is a stud QB last year would have started in half the NCAA

tampabay25690
03-23-2010, 06:30 PM
I don't think Deonte meant anything malicious by it. I can see how it can be taken the wrong way, but I know he and Tebow are pretty good buddies.
As a Gator fan you know how everyone twists things around...

dplus47
03-23-2010, 07:44 PM

It seems like he just used the word "real" when he meant to use the word "traditional" or "pass first" or something like that; I don't think he set out to insult Tebow.

As stated above, it's not news that a WR is going to be happy with a QB who is less likely to run with the ball.

jamze132
03-23-2010, 07:56 PM
Gator haters!

justasportsfan
03-23-2010, 08:26 PM
if Tebow can bring the same success he had to the bills doing what he did in college ,then I don't want a "real qb".

SirMcGee
03-23-2010, 08:28 PM
see percy harvin

How many WR's have been drafted out of that school? I can't even name a handful of WR's taht have gone on to succeed at the next level. Give me a break.

Ickybaluky
03-23-2010, 08:45 PM
How many WR's have been drafted out of that school? I can't even name a handful of WR's taht have gone on to succeed at the next level. Give me a break.

Percy Harvin
Chris Collinsworth
Wes Chandler
Ricky Nattiel
Nat Moore
Ernie Mills
Ike Hilliard
Jabar Gaffney

I know they have had some busts from the Spurrier era, but I think the blame for that lies in Spurrier's offense.

I like Riley Cooper as well and think he makes an NFL team. He isn't real fast and he drops the occasional ball, but he has great size and blocks like a demon. I wouldn't be surprised if he develops into a Kevin Walter-type of player.

TMu11
03-24-2010, 06:55 AM
This is being taken completely out of context, or so I think.
By being a "real Quarterback," I'm sure it was implied as a "true" Quarterback.

Either that, or he's just a whiner. In either case, he needs to STFU

jamze132
03-24-2010, 11:03 PM
Urban Meyer had a one-way conversation with the author of that article who hails from the Orlando Sentinel.

Mr. Pink
03-24-2010, 11:11 PM
Any WR is going to prefer a pass first QB over a run first QB...

How this shocks anyone surprises me.

Griff
03-25-2010, 12:08 PM
I'm no Tebow fan, but I hope they end up on the same team.

DraftBoy
03-25-2010, 12:21 PM
Urban Meyer had a one-way conversation with the author of that article who hails from the Orlando Sentinel.
And Meyer is getting killed for it and will likely have to issue an apology.

DraftBoy
03-25-2010, 12:23 PM
YES he will....
Brantley is a stud QB last year would have started in half the NCAA

Slow down there, Brantley should be good, but key work is should. He has taken minimal snaps in the NCAA, so saying he would of been this or that is pure conjecture at this point.

Besides the old backup to Tebow (Cam Newton) is now competeing to be the starting QB at Auburn, which should be fun to watch, who is better.

ZAZusmc03
03-25-2010, 12:25 PM
I highly doubt Deonte was taking a shot at Tebow, It just came out that way.

But if it was a direct show, He should check himself. He dropped a ridiculous amount of passes last season. Many that would have been TD's.

On a side note, I said it in a thread a few weeks ago and I'll say it again. I can see Brantley being one of the top prospects in the 2012 draft.

psubills62
03-25-2010, 12:27 PM
And Meyer is getting killed for it and will likely have to issue an apology.

I'm not sure I fully understand why he went after the reporter. I understand "having your players' backs," and maybe I should read the actual article from that paper, but I don't see how it's the reporter's fault that the kid made a poor choice of words.

DraftBoy
03-25-2010, 12:32 PM
I'm not sure I fully understand why he went after the reporter. I understand "having your players' backs," and maybe I should read the actual article from that paper, but I don't see how it's the reporter's fault that the kid made a poor choice of words.

Take it as an over protective father reaction style. Meyer doesnt want anyone to write negative things about his program (who would?). But he can't control national outlets like ESPN running a negative piece, but the Orlando Sentinel he can attempt to control. He crossed a line this time and he knows that. He'll apologize and it will be done with. Im not sure he needs to really apologize all that much, I dont think its a huge deal personally.

Mike13
03-25-2010, 12:37 PM
I think he meant to say "traditional". I do think JB has the potential to be a bettter pro than Tebow.