PDA

View Full Version : Gailey wants to draft a scatback...

Marty Funkhouser
03-23-2010, 01:04 PM
link.... (http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post/_/id/11889/gailey-wants-to-draft-a-scatback)

By Tim Graham

ORLANDO, Fla. -- On paper, the Buffalo Bills (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/clubhouse?team=buf) have one of NFL's most impressive backfields.

Fred Jackson (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=10195) rushed for over 1,000 yards last year. Marshawn Lynch (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=10456) did it each of the previous two seasons and went to a Pro Bowl.

But there's one significant problem with the Bills' running back depth chart.

It stops at two.

With that in mind, Bills head coach Chan Gailey said Tuesday morning at the NFL owners meetings that adding another back will be a priority in the draft along with the offensive and defensive lines and a wide receiver.

"I don't mean to insinuate we'd take a running back with the first pick," Gailey told me. "Right now, we only have two running backs on the roster.

"We've got to start to upgrade there in some way, shape or form."

Gailey has a prototype in mind, a slithery complement to the size and power Jackson and Lynch offer.

"There's some good running backs in the draft this year different than what we've got. So change of pace, again, might be something you could do there with a different type of player.

"The guys that are coming out now, there's a bunch of those 5-9, 185-pound or 195-pound, quick-as-a-cat water bugs that are running backs-slash-receivers that might give you a little bit of a punch on the field, maybe make a big play."

Marty Funkhouser
03-23-2010, 01:05 PM
I'd love this. I've been hoping that we'd add a little, sub 200 lb, speedy back to the mix, but only in the mid-late rounds.

Pinkerton Security
mccluster?

justasportsfan
With the 9th pick, Buffalo picks CJ Spiller.

Marty Funkhouser
03-23-2010, 01:06 PM

hahahaha, ok...

DBrown77
03-23-2010, 01:07 PM
Edwards from App. State?

SirMcGee
03-23-2010, 01:09 PM
The way he's talking, McCluster fits that description. WOuldnt mind that in round 3 (if he's available).

BillsMan80
03-23-2010, 01:09 PM
hahahaha, ok...

I don't see the humor in taking an elite player like Spiller at #9. Certainly be a better pick than wasting the 9th pick on an offensive lineman not named Okung or Bulaga.

Pinkerton Security
03-23-2010, 01:11 PM
I don't see the humor in taking an elite player like Spiller at #9. Certainly be a better pick than wasting the 9th pick on an offensive lineman not named Okung or Bulaga.

i think its hilarious.

SirMcGee
03-23-2010, 01:11 PM

Dez Bryant would be a MUCH better pick than Spiller.

BillsMan80
03-23-2010, 01:14 PM
Dez Bryant would be a MUCH better pick than Spiller.

Either one of them would be a better pick than reaching for an offensive lineman not worth the #9 pick, meaning as stated, Campbell, Davis, Trent Williams, etc.

T-Long
03-23-2010, 01:14 PM
Uh oh...I think it just may be Spiller.

BillsMan80
03-23-2010, 01:20 PM
It should be a list of 9-10 guys that would be proper value and players that would help this team:

Sam Bradford, QB, Oklahoma
Ndamukong Suh, DT, Nebraska
Gerald McCoy, DT, Oklahoma
Russell Okung, OT, Oklahoma State
Bryan Bulaga, OT, Iowa
Jimmy Clausen, QB, Notre Dame
C.J. Spiller, RB, Clemson
Dez Bryant, WR, Oklahoma State
Rolando McClain, LB, Alabama
Derrick Morgan, DE/OLB, Georgia Tech

Marty Funkhouser
03-23-2010, 01:28 PM
Either one of them would be a better pick than reaching for an offensive lineman not worth the #9 pick, meaning as stated, Campbell, Davis, Trent Williams, etc.

Trent Williams is a top 10 prospect. Recent speculation has him going to the Lions at #2. I'm not quite buying that he goes 2nd overall, but I'd have no problem taking him at 9 if Okung and Bulaga are both gone.

kernowboy
03-23-2010, 01:29 PM
If we want to draft a piece of fluff then someone like Shawnbrey McNeal of SMU or Jake Sharp of Kansas

I still think we need to shift Lynch and bring in a heavy duty back up to Fred like James Starks, who is also a very good receiver out of the backfield

psubills62
03-23-2010, 01:31 PM
With everyone talking about Spiller at #9, I'm a little surprised no one's mentioned Jahvid Best at #41.

P.S. To the original poster: I don't think you're supposed to put whole articles (or "blog entries") on the website, as BZ doesn't want to get into copyright issues with anyone else, especially ESPN.

Marty Funkhouser
03-23-2010, 01:32 PM
With everyone talking about Spiller at #9, I'm a little surprised no one's mentioned Jahvid Best at #41.

I agree. If we get our OT at 9, I wouldn't have a problem with Best at 41 (but I'd prefer to get a NT there).

P.S. To the original poster: I don't think you're supposed to put whole articles (or "blog entries") on the website, as BZ doesn't want to get into copyright issues with anyone else, especially ESPN.

Really? Thanks, I didn't know...

Pinkerton Security
03-23-2010, 01:33 PM

even if he posts the source?

psubills62
03-23-2010, 01:41 PM
even if he posts the source?

Yeah, I'm quite sure you're not allowed to post full articles, even if you cite the source. One of the mods/admin can correct or confirm my post though, as I'm about 99% sure.

psubills62
03-23-2010, 01:42 PM
I agree. If we get our OT at 9, I wouldn't have a problem with Best at 41 (but I'd prefer to get a NT there).

Yeah, I'm really keen on getting an OT at #9, but I'm starting to become afraid that Okung, Bulaga and Williams will all be gone by the time we pick. I sure hope not, but it's certainly possible. I think one of our first three picks can be used as a "luxury" pick (e.g. RB), but we have to use the other two on glaring needs, whether it's NT, OT, or OLB.

Ron Burgundy
03-23-2010, 01:46 PM
I'd take McCluster...in fact, that'd be awesome. Third round would be peachy, if he lasts that long.

OT: You have one of the best names on the boards, Funkhouser. Tell the joke that you told Jerry, the one about the guy whose fiancée is concerned about the size of her opening.

Oaf
03-23-2010, 01:46 PM
Shaud Williams?

madness
03-23-2010, 01:48 PM

With Tim or Chris' blog, I usually straight copy from the article from the main page. It's usually not the full thing and the title is hyperlinked already.

madness
03-23-2010, 01:49 PM
I would love McCluster...

03/02/2010 - McCluster was a freshman at Ole Miss when Patrick Willis was still there. Willis gave him the nickname "Baby Hester" after McCluster put a move on Willis in seven-on-seven drills and "made him look a little silly. He took it easy on me in practice. I was the young one then. He never really brought the wood to me, so he kind of protected me in a sense." Does he think he can make Willis look silly in the NFL? "I've got a little bit more experience under my belt, so, yeah," he said. - Matt Barrows, The Sacramento Bee

02/28/2010 - Ole Miss running back Dexter McCluster says he's the next Chris Johnson - minus the gold teeth. He watches the Titans running back's highlight reel, including college games. Before he runs his 40-yard dash at the NFL Combine, McCluster plans to pull out a laptop and watch Johnson's 40 here in 2008, when he ran a 4.24. "He has some crazy moves," McCluster said. "When I am watching him, I feel like I am watching myself, and I want to go out there and outdo him. Is it possible? I believe so. There is always room for improvement.'' The 5-foot-8, 172-pound McCluster predicted his time would be around 4.3. - Jim Wyatt, The Tennessean

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1137461

Marty Funkhouser
03-23-2010, 01:52 PM
OT: You have one of the best names on the boards, Funkhouser. Tell the joke that you told Jerry, the one about the guy whose fiancée is concerned about the size of her opening.

Haha....I'm pretty sure I'll get banned immediately.

P.S.: Your **** is in the sink.

Marty Funkhouser
03-23-2010, 01:53 PM
Yeah, I'm really keen on getting an OT at #9, but I'm starting to become afraid that Okung, Bulaga and Williams will all be gone by the time we pick. I sure hope not, but it's certainly possible. I think one of our first three picks can be used as a "luxury" pick (e.g. RB), but we have to use the other two on glaring needs, whether it's NT, OT, or OLB.

I agree 100%.

Ron Burgundy
03-23-2010, 02:08 PM
Haha....I'm pretty sure I'll get banned immediately.

P.S.: Your **** is in the sink.

You ****ing rock, dude. :up:

Marty Funkhouser
03-23-2010, 02:10 PM
You ****ing rock, dude. :up:

Haha, glad you like the name. Now I just gotta figure out how to put up an avatar....

The Spaz
03-23-2010, 02:13 PM
Bills target Spiller or McCluster? Gailey: "The guys that are coming out, there's a bunch of those 5-9, 185-pound quick-as-a-cat water bugs"-Chan Gailey

BertSquirtgum
03-23-2010, 02:16 PM

i'm starting to like the idea of spiller at 9. i wasn't so sure about it but the more i read up on him, it makes sense. i don't think it will happen but we shall see. i can't wait for the draft.

SirMcGee
03-23-2010, 02:17 PM
I would take McCluster/Jahvid Best (if available) in Round 2 than take Spiller at 9.

I'm already assuming that Bulaga and Okung will be gone by the time we pick at 9, so anything other than Bryant, Williams, or Clausen will be dissappointing.

Ron Burgundy
03-23-2010, 02:19 PM
Haha, glad you like the name. Now I just gotta figure out how to put up an avatar....

Go here:
http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php?t=188664

And post a request. Someone will be nice enough to fix you up.

http://static.tvguide.com/MediaBin/Galleries/Shows/A_F/Cq_Cz/Curb_Your_Enthusiasm/season7/curb-your-enthusiasm25.jpg

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/3o5m_mXadoU/0.jpg

Couple of images for ya to choose from, in case you don't have one in mind.

Marty Funkhouser
03-23-2010, 02:23 PM
Go here:
http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php?t=188664

And post a request. Someone will be nice enough to fix you up.

http://static.tvguide.com/MediaBin/Galleries/Shows/A_F/Cq_Cz/Curb_Your_Enthusiasm/season7/curb-your-enthusiasm25.jpg

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/3o5m_mXadoU/0.jpg

Couple of images for ya to choose from, in case you don't have one in mind.

Sweet, thanks a lot man.

That bottom picture cracks me up. The whole exchange between Jerry and Marty was priceless!

kernowboy
03-23-2010, 02:27 PM
I'd rather take James Starks on Day3. Big enough to carry a full load as he develops, ran a sub 4,50 and can go the distance.

In his junior year ran over 1,300yds for 16TDs and caught 50+ passes

SirMcGee
03-23-2010, 02:29 PM
I'd rather take James Starks on Day3. Big enough to carry a full load as he develops, ran a sub 4,50 and can go the distance.

In his junior year ran over 1,300yds for 16TDs and caught 50+ passes

We don't need another RB that can carry the load. A scatback is a different type of runner than the ones we already have. Thanks but no thanks.

kernowboy
03-23-2010, 02:49 PM
With Fred-x and Lynch's need to get suspended this team could get really thin, really quickly.

The last thing we actually need is a gimmick player. For every Darren Sproles there are 10 Garrett Wolfes.

SirMcGee
03-23-2010, 03:30 PM
With Fred-x and Lynch's need to get suspended this team could get really thin, really quickly.

The last thing we actually need is a gimmick player. For every Darren Sproles there are 10 Garrett Wolfes.

Just because we want a scatback doesnt necessarily mean we're going to use him strictly as a gimmick player. McCluster is such a versatile back that can run the wildcat, return kicks, 3rd down player, screen plays. We can move him outside wide. I would MUCH rather have McCluster at 2 or 3 than take Spiller at 9. Makes much more sense to me.

YardRat
03-23-2010, 05:06 PM
Unless something happens between now and the #9 pick with OT or NT, I wouldn't plan on Spillar coming to Buffalo...Third round or lower for a scatback is your best bet, maybe even an UDFA.

k-oneputt
03-23-2010, 07:29 PM
I'm a big McCluster fan. I'd take McCluster in the 4th if he was still there. Jackson, Lynch, Mccluster would be three nice backs with different skill sets.
Just can't use any of the top three picks to go in that direction on this team.

BillsWin
03-23-2010, 07:30 PM
WATER BUG!

Bulldog
03-23-2010, 08:25 PM
What round is Devine from WVU expected to go in? Just curious. That guy is as quick and fast as they come.

SirMcGee
03-23-2010, 08:26 PM
What round is Devine from WVU expected to go in? Just curious. That guy is as quick and fast as they come.

Noel Devine will most likely be in next year's draft class. Not this year.

k-oneputt
03-23-2010, 10:59 PM
Anyone with any questions on McCluster can go and check him out on youtube if you haven't seen him play.

Let us know what you think.

TMu11
03-24-2010, 06:17 AM
If we want a Sub-200, quick, agile player that can catch balls out of the backfield - why don't we just use Parrish? The guy obviously wants more playing time. Not to mention we could DEFINITELY use our picks on more needed positions.

zone
03-24-2010, 07:04 AM
If we want a Sub-200, quick, agile player that can catch balls out of the backfield - why don't we just use Parrish? The guy obviously wants more playing time. Not to mention we could DEFINITELY use our picks on more needed positions.
Sub 200 pounds and Sub 150 pounds are a little bit different.

ChristopherWalken
03-24-2010, 10:20 AM
Well drafting Spiller would be one way to offset the lack of QB performance. The backfield would be stacked.

However, who's going to run block?