• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • patmoran2006
    Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
    • Dec 2005

NFL OT playoff rule passes

Buffalo, Minnesota, Baltimore, Cincinnati were the only four teams that voted "no".

Personally, I dont think the Bills should even be allowed a vote in anything that has to do with playoffs.

At any rate, the rule is changing. FG wont win it anymore on first possession

Join the BSD FB page by CLICKING HERE

Follow us on twitter by CLICKING HERE
  • Pinkerton Security
    Pinkerton's son
    • Feb 2006

Re: NFL OT playoff rule passes

Originally posted by patmoran2006
    Buffalo, Minnesota, Baltimore, Cincinnati were the only four teams that voted "no".

Personally, I dont think the Bills should even be allowed a vote in anything that has to do with playoffs.

At any rate, the rule is changing. FG wont win it anymore on first possession
    I dont know the exact rule change and cant find a good article on it very quickly...

so basically the team to receive the ball first in OT has to score 6 in order to win on the first possession? Is that it?

Comment

• Ron Burgundy
      • Nov 2005

I like it. It's not perfect, but it's better.

Comment

• Dicknoze69
        Just because my name is dicknoze,it doesn't mean I have balls in my mouth
        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by pinkdogg32
        so basically the team to receive the ball first in OT has to score 6 in order to win on the first possession? Is that it?
        They have to score a touchdown on the first possession yes. If the team kicks a FG with their first possession, the opposing team gets the ball. If that team then kicks a field goal, it becomes sudden death. If that team scores a touchdown, they win.

It's a system designed to ensure that both teams get a possession, while also placing a premium on touchdowns instead of field goals.
        Last edited by Dicknoze69; 03-23-2010, 02:43 PM.

God give me style and give me grace
        God put a smile upon my face

Comment

• patmoran2006
          Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
          • Dec 2005

A little surprised the Vikings voted no, since if this rule was adopted last year they would've gotten the ball back in the loss to the Saints.

Comment

• patmoran2006
            Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
            • Dec 2005

They also said they're going to revisit it again, and the rule may also extend to the regular season.

Comment

• Dujek
              Hall of Fame Zoner
              • Jan 2008

It's bull****.

Since 1994 only 34% of OT games have been decided on the first possession, and only 22% are decided by a FG in the first possession. This only passed because the NFL wanted Favre in the Super Bowl this year and are pissed that the Saints won fair and square.

A completely needless rule change, if your defense can't man up and force a three and out in the first possession then you deserve to lose.

Comment

• streetkings01
                • Jul 2006

Originally posted by Dujek
                It's bull****.

Since 1994 only 34% of OT games have been decided on the first possession, and only 22% are decided by a FG in the first possession. This only passed because the NFL wanted Favre in the Super Bowl this year and are pissed that the Saints won fair and square.

A completely needless rule change, if your defense can't man up and force a three and out in the first possession then you deserve to lose.
                Since the NFL changed the kickoff placement, teams that received the ball first have won more than 58% of the time. They were talking about it on sirius radio last week.......I like the rule change!
                Last edited by streetkings01; 03-23-2010, 02:53 PM.
                You can call me streetkings

Comment

• Pinkerton Security
                  Pinkerton's son
                  • Feb 2006

Originally posted by Dicknoze69
                  They have to score a touchdown on the first possession yes. If the team kicks a FG with their first possession, the opposing team gets the ball. If that team then kicks a field goal, it becomes sudden death. If that team scores a touchdown, they win.

It's a system designed to ensure that both teams get a possession, while also placing a premium on touchdowns instead of field goals.
                  This is a bigger change than I thought I guess...if a team kicks a FG the first possession, the 2nd team will have to take a more chances and basically turns their entire time with the ball into 4-down territory. However in the past the 2nd team wouldnt have even had a shot, sooo idk...i guess we'll see how it plays out (not us specifically, as in Bills fans lol)

Comment

• Dujek
                    Hall of Fame Zoner
                    • Jan 2008

Originally posted by BuffaloBills06
                    Since the NFL changed the kickoff placement, teams that received the ball first have won more than 58% of the time. They were talking about it on sirius radio last week.......I like the rule change!
                    That's true, but that's within statistical norms of a 50/50 split.

And as I said, they only win on the first possession 34% of the time, so for the majority of the games both teams get the ball anyway.

This is a bull**** rule to keep the Favre ball-lickers happy.

Comment

• OpIv37
                      Acid Douching Asswipe
                      • Sep 2002

Every time I hear a rule change like this, I can't help but wonder how that rule will eventually be either used or misinterpreted to screw the Bills.

Of course, in this particular case, the Bills would have to MAKE the playoffs before it became an issue....
                      MiKiDo Facebook
                      MiKiDo Website

Comment

• mrbojanglezs
                        • Jan 2010

wow pat moran is full of zingers

Comment

• BillsSabresB.C.T. Fan
                          All-Pro Zoner
                          • Jan 2004

WGRZ sports Ed Kilgore:

The idea I really like for several reasons, is to simply play a 5th quarter, resuming where the 4th quarter ended. If the Bills, for example, had the ball at the Jets 45 yard line when the game is tied at the end of regulation, the overtime quarter opens with the Bills having the ball at the Jets 45. In hockey, a power play carries into the overtime, and I think that's only fair.

Were this rule adopted, it could certainly change strategies in tight games; a team gaining possession in the 4th quarter with the score tied wouldn't have to take risky chances to get into field goal range based on the clock. Going back to that NFC title game; maybe Brett Favre doesn't have to force the long throw over the middle if he knows the Vikings will still have great field position in overtime, or at the very least could have the Saints in poor field position.

It simply makes the outcome more fair, since we know the coin toss is such a huge advantage to the team winning the flip.
                          Here's where the strategy would really get interesting. If you pick up in the 5th quarter with the ball inside the opponent's 20 yard line, do you go for the td, or go for three? The other team then has the chance to either tie it again, or win it. After each team has a possession, the next team scoring ANY kind of point wins the game.

Last edited by BillsSabresB.C.T. Fan; 03-23-2010, 03:18 PM.

Comment

• RockStar36
                            Dude's Little Ignorant Crony
                            • Sep 2004

They should use NCAA overtime rules, but that would make too much sense. Of course, NCAA should have a playoff, so both systems are horribly flawed.

D & S Sports

Comment

• Ron Burgundy
                              • Nov 2005

Originally posted by Dujek
                              That's true, but that's within statistical norms of a 50/50 split.

And as I said, they only win on the first possession 34% of the time, so for the majority of the games both teams get the ball anyway.

This is a bull**** rule to keep the Favre ball-lickers happy.
                              Almost 60% is within a 50/50 statistical split?

DISCLAIMER: I could give a **** about Brett Favre.

Comment

Working...
                              X