• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tourettes Guy
    Zoner
    • Mar 2010

Another reason to not draft Tebow

As we've mentioned once or twice, quarterback Tim Tebow's habit of openly expressing his religious beliefs could potentially rub folks the wrong way, especially in a locker room of grown men who choose to keep their beliefs to themselves, who don't share his beliefs at all, and/or who only want to…

Let's face it. Religion is weird. I'm not here to get in a huge debate with any of you, you all have the right to believe whatever the hell you want. I support that. But the most obnoxious thing in the world a person can do, in my opinion, is shove their religion up my ass.

Tebow asking everybody to pray before the Wonderlic is a perfect example of just super obnoxious religious promotion. I can't stand that shnizzle. And although I totally support a persons right to practice their religion and I respect it, if your at the Wonderlic test and having everybody pray is the first thing on your mind, then your mind is not on football.

Tebow is out to make a political statement. Imagine people like him that you've met and how well they fit in the work place or at school. Not well. Not these days. This kid will come in doing obnoxious crap.

I imagine the coach giving a rah rah speach and then Tebow jumping in at the end ok guys let's all pray together. BUZZZZZZKIILLLLLLL!!

A guy needs to fit in. This is the NFL. In college, Tebow was Meyer's boy. Everybody knew it, so they just let it be. That won't happen in the pro's.
  • Philagape
    WIN NOW
    • Jul 2002

Re: Another reason to not draft Tebow

"shove their religion up my ass" = "have it mentioned in any way that I can read or hear"

pussy
    "It is better to be divided by truth than to be united by error." -- Martin Luther

"Those who appease the crocodile will simply be eaten last." -- Winston Churchill

2003 BZ Pick Em Champion
    2004 BZ Big Money League Champion

Comment

• tampabay25690
      • Feb 2004

Originally posted by Tourettes Guy
      http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...st-falls-flat/

Let's face it. Religion is weird. I'm not here to get in a huge debate with any of you, you all have the right to believe whatever the hell you want. I support that. But the most obnoxious thing in the world a person can do, in my opinion, is shove their religion up my ass.

Tebow asking everybody to pray before the Wonderlic is a perfect example of just super obnoxious religious promotion. I can't stand that shnizzle. And although I totally support a persons right to practice their religion and I respect it, if your at the Wonderlic test and having everybody pray is the first thing on your mind, then your mind is not on football.

Tebow is out to make a political statement. Imagine people like him that you've met and how well they fit in the work place or at school. Not well. Not these days. This kid will come in doing obnoxious crap.

I imagine the coach giving a rah rah speach and then Tebow jumping in at the end ok guys let's all pray together. BUZZZZZZKIILLLLLLL!!

A guy needs to fit in. This is the NFL. In college, Tebow was Meyer's boy. Everybody knew it, so they just let it be. That won't happen in the pro's.
      OMGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG.....WTF, I wonder what goes in some peoples minds when they post..
      GO Gators!!!!!!
      GO GATORS!!

Comment

• Tourettes Guy
        Zoner
        • Mar 2010

Originally posted by Philagape
        "shove their religion up my ass" = "have it mentioned in any way that I can read or hear"

pussy
        No, I'll give you an example. I hired a kid last week and I mentioned that I was feeling under the weather. All I do is train them for a week and send them out to the work force. But anyway, he was obnoxious about religion.

Anything you mention oh I know god will help me do that or god will help me do this. And then when he's leaving "Can I pray for you would that be ok"

WEIRD!

Tebow is going to come in to what ever team he's drafted by with a sense of entitlement and he's going to be shoving religion in every direction. This is about football, not religion. They are separate things. Some coaches pray, some players play, some don't. IDK, he's over the top and will rub people the wrong way, IMO.

Comment

• rcd333
          • Mar 2007

this story is hard to believe

would a player tell another player to shut the **** up at the scouting combine of all places.

Comment

• feldspar
            • Mar 2007

This whole "religion in sports" thing bothers me to no end, as though God favors one team over another. The best sport this happens is with boxing...is a boxer to bow his head in prayer to God to give him the strength to beat the ever-loving crap out of the other guy? This happens.

Kurt Warner always bothered me in that respect, even though he was a great player and I'm a fan. When he retired, he was amazed that God "chose him" to fulfill this fantastic football career, as though God likes him a lot more than Trent Edwards or whoever.

This is really amazing to me.

"F-you" indeed, Tebow. Right on. This whole thing is about beating the other guy, so you can't pray for everybody. This is not Seseme Street. This type of behvior is too often labelled as "class." It's probably meant in that vein, but it's hypocritical, and I don't like it.

On the other hand, what's the difference when we all wind up in heaven...or dead and rotting in the ground.

This is how I feel about that.

Comment

• BillsWin
              man amongst boys
              • Oct 2008

Originally posted by rcd333
              this story is hard to believe

would a player tell another player to shut the **** up at the scouting combine of all places.
              No. They would have to be one huge douche.

But then again, players these days have huge egos and even bigger attitudes.

Now, should Tebow (if the story is even true) have tried to "force" (for lack of a better word) his religion on a room full of strangers, before a ****ing intelligence test?

NO.

The wonderlic test is not a "group prayer" moment in my opinion. And I have embraced God in my life and do consider myself a man of faith. So this isn't coming from someone completely adverse to religion.
              Last edited by BillsWin; 03-23-2010, 07:11 PM.
              I am The Batman.

Comment

• psubills62
                Legendary Zoner
                • Sep 2008

Sounds to me, from looking at some of the scores, that a lot of those players could have used prayer.
                "Misguided political correctness tethers our intellects."
                - Nicholas Cummings

Comment

• feldspar
                  • Mar 2007

The thing about "religious people" is that, if you don't agree with their beliefs, you know deep down that they believe you to be ignorant. The same applies to unreligious folks. The thing to me, being an athiest, is that the burden of proof lies on those making the claim...and since it's based on faith, there is by definition no need of proof. That's pretty irritating. With all due respect to the believers, keep that stuff in your house and in your church. Don't spread it to the workplace, whatever you do, because it's condescending to those "unbelievers" by very nature. It's unintentional, I'm sure, but that doesn't change what it is.

I can only take so much. I'll pray to win the lottery, make a wish on my birthday, or whatever, but I don't like these things. I won't try to stop it or say anything to those that express themselves this way...I just shut my mouth until it's over and reality makes it's case.

Comment

• Tourettes Guy
                    Zoner
                    • Mar 2010

Don't you think that he's going to come in as a rookie and and overstep his boundaries? The guy seems like the type to come in and act all entitled as if he's serving some higher purpose than everybody else.

Distractions. It's BS. A guy like Joe Flacco is exactly what is going to be the QB of the future. Just no personality whatsoever. Tom Brady, Matty Ice, and Peyton unless he's in a commercial. Just no personality. They don't try to have some big greater purpose. They just play football and cash checks. And polish trophies. Not Matt Ryan or Flacco but you get my point.

This guy just brings so much baggage. I don't think he'd play good enough to make it worth it.

Comment

• T-Long
                      Circling the Wagons since 1982.
                      • Sep 2003

hey Tourette's guy...

"Why don't you make like a banana...and ****!!!!"

Comment

• psubills62
                        Legendary Zoner
                        • Sep 2008

Originally posted by feldspar
                        The thing about "religious people" is that, if you don't agree with their beliefs, you know deep down that they believe you to be ignorant. The same applies to unreligious folks. The thing to me, being an athiest, is that the burden of proof lies on those making the claim...and since it's based on faith, there is by definition no need of proof. That's pretty irritating. With all due respect to the believers, keep that stuff in your house and in your church. Don't spread it to the workplace, whatever you do, because it's condescending to those "unbelievers" by very nature. It's unintentional, I'm sure, but that doesn't change what it is.

I can only take so much. I'll pray to win the lottery, make a wish on my birthday, or whatever, but I don't like these things. I won't try to stop it or say anything to those that express themselves this way...I just shut my mouth until it's over and reality makes it's case.
                        Haha yeah, I think in those first couple sentences, you described pretty much everyone on earth, not just religious people.

The way I see it, people who are atheist are also making a claim - that there is no God, and that the world came about by chance. I would agree that people who believe in God are also making a claim. But while we don't have proof, I believe there is a lot of evidence for God.

EDIT: I'm not trying to get into a whole debate, I'm just stating my case.

See...you pray when you really want something. So to me, it really shouldn't be a big deal if someone else just wants to pray for something. Whether or not you agree with it, how does it hurt anything if someone wants to pray?

Like I said, I think some of those kids could have used the help of God :wink:
                        Last edited by psubills62; 03-23-2010, 07:48 PM.
                        "Misguided political correctness tethers our intellects."
                        - Nicholas Cummings

Comment

• PECKERWOOD
                          Defies all logic
                          • Oct 2006

Hey Tourrettes Guy... "*****, I love you...."

Comment

• k-oneputt
                            • Jun 2009

I'm not surprised at all that this happened to Tebow.
                            Remember he wasn't on the Florida campus around his Florida teammates. I'm sure they could care less about TT. They are probably sick of seeing it for the last four years on tv. I definitely think it will be an issue in an NFL lockerroom if he doesn't tone it down. Either that or he had better be balling so good that they can't say s*** to him like at Florida.

Comment

• Ickybaluky
                              • Jul 2003

Right...

Because being really religious and wearing it on his sleeve kept Kurt Warner from being accepted by his teammates.

And players were so offended by Reggie White ministering that they shunned him.

No other NFL players are going to care one way or another if Tebow is religious or not. There are guys who are and guys who aren't in an NFL lockerroom, and there has been for some time (maybe you missed those prayer circles of players from both teams at mid-field after almost every NFL game). Ultimately, it will come down to whether he can help them win games or not, the other stuff is just fluff.

I doubt, given how big a player he was in college, that this was the first time Tebow has dealt with people being sarcastic about his outward displays of religiosity. His leadership and intangibles are unquestioned traits, so something tells me it doesn't interfere with his getting along with his teammates. Guys seemed to play well enough for him at Florida.

I don't know if Tebow's skills will translate to whether he can play QB at an NFL-level. There are definitely questions about that. However, I'm pretty sure his religion is going to have zero impact on that. None.

Comment

Working...
                              X