PDA

View Full Version : Philly Inquirer: McNabb to Bills rumor at NFL owners meeting

Coach Sal
03-24-2010, 08:54 AM
3 separate stories to look at here and maybe tie some things together (first paragrph of 1st one is where it talks about rumor):

Eagles QB situation creating a stir:
http://www.philly.com/inquirer/sports/88990077.html

Reid on McNabb: "We're listening":
http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/inq-eagles/Reid_on_McNabb_Were_listening.html

Buffalo looking for QB:
http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/inq-eagles/88905857.html

Pinkerton Security
03-24-2010, 08:55 AM
3 separate stories to look at here and maybe tie some things together (first paragrph of 1st one is where it talks about rumor):

Eagles QB situation creating a stir:
http://www.philly.com/inquirer/sports/88990077.html

Reid on McNabb: "We're listening":
http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/inq-eagles/Reid_on_McNabb_Were_listening.html

Buffalo looking for QB:
http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/inq-eagles/88905857.html

wow...Sal, have you heard anything first-hand?

The King
03-24-2010, 08:56 AM
The longer we wait on this the better deal it becomes, IMO. Trade him on draft day for 2011 picks.

NOT THE DUDE...
03-24-2010, 08:57 AM
id rather have kolb, but id be excited about mcnabb.... we would still have to draft a qb in the next 2 years.... to groom

jamesiscool
03-24-2010, 08:58 AM
if we could grab mcnabb and build the o-line we'd be golden. otherwise mcnabb behind a shaky line has never worked out for the best.

Coach Sal
03-24-2010, 08:59 AM
wow...Sal, have you heard anything first-hand?

Other than what I reported a few weeks ago stating the two teams have talked? No.

But this somewhat piggy-backs what I reported, although doesn't state the Bills directly have spoken with them.

wmoz11
03-24-2010, 09:01 AM
I'm not too excited about trading 1st or 2nd rounders for a guy that could very well leave after this upcoming season.

NOT THE DUDE...
03-24-2010, 09:09 AM
I'm not too excited about trading 1st or 2nd rounders for a guy that could very well leave after this upcoming season.

part of the trade would be a new 5 year contract... duh...

trade our 2nd for mcnabb, draft trent williams and we are golden!!!!!! superbowl!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WeAreArthurMoates
03-24-2010, 09:11 AM
I heard a while ago that Philly would be interested in swapping 1st. I'd be more than gladly to swap firsts and give up a 3rd for McNabb. That way you take the best LT on the board at 22, then take the best NT in the 2nd. Pick 4 goes to an OLB and the you find a qb to groom like Snead, Zac Robinson or John Crompton to groom for later. Seriously, this scenario has us in the playoffs.

RockStar36
03-24-2010, 09:12 AM
A contract extension would have to be part of the deal IMO but if that got done, I would gladly sign up for 2 or 3 years of McNabb in Buffalo.

wmoz11
03-24-2010, 09:16 AM

trade our 2nd for mcnabb, draft trent williams and we are golden!!!!!! superbowl!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Duh, my ass. It takes two sides to sign a contract.

If, as Rockstar says, an extension is agreed upon before the trade, then I'd be fine with trading for him.

I'm not so sure McNabb would do that, though.

Coach Sal
03-24-2010, 09:46 AM
For those who say we can trade Marshawn to Philly, the Eagles just signed Saints FA RB Mike Bell yesterday, and now have him and LeSean McCoy. So, not sure if they want to deal for another RB.

SirMcGee
03-24-2010, 09:48 AM

LOL... A SECOND FOR MCNABB? If the Bills give up a 2nd round pick for McNabb, then I'd be PISSED. Anything more than a 3rd rounder would be a waste. Super Bowl? Give me whatever you're smoking. Let's try wild card first before we even start with this super bowl talk.

homeslice5484
03-24-2010, 09:53 AM
I agree, 3rd and a player maybe or nothing. I am tired of stop gap players at crucial positions...fix the line and get a future QB

patmoran2006
03-24-2010, 10:20 AM
LOL.. Donovan McNabb is not a "stop gap".. he's 33 years old, not 38

THATHURMANATOR
03-24-2010, 10:20 AM
I would be absolutely be pissed if we gave up a 1st rounder for Mcnabb.

THATHURMANATOR
03-24-2010, 10:22 AM
He is the ultimate definition of a stop gap. 33 now 34 during the season. You could only hope for 2 to 3 good years Max. You might get more but you can't bank on it.

BertSquirtgum
03-24-2010, 10:26 AM

yepp, i read that he also plans on playing for 6 more years.

NorthCarBills
03-24-2010, 10:33 AM
He is the ultimate definition of a stop gap. 33 now 34 during the season. You could only hope for 2 to 3 good years Max. You might get more but you can't bank on it.

I'm a fan of McNabb, and at first thought this would seem like an ideal situation. But with his slew of injuries and age, I'm really concerned that trading a top 10 pick in any shape or form would be a waste due to our unsettled o-line. So I tend to agree with your point. I dont seem him lasting even one full season in Buffalo.

ChristopherWalken
03-24-2010, 10:43 AM
A contract extension would have to be part of the deal IMO but if that got done, I would gladly sign up for 2 or 3 years of McNabb in Buffalo.

Precisely, which means McNabb would have to want to come to Buffalo in order to get this deal done.

And I also agree with others, anything above a 3rd is asinine. I could see a 3rd and a conditional 2011 based on performance in 2010. But that's it. Anything higher is wasted on a QB entering the downward slide of his career.

Ron Burgundy
03-24-2010, 10:44 AM
McNabb is a proven quarterback, one who has led his team to the playoffs 69 years in a row. He's not the most accurate guy, he's been injured a few times, and there are some flaws in his game. But he gets wins, he's tough, and he's still got a really strong arm.

This isn't a Bledsoe situation where everyone knew Drew was a one-trick pony and really wasn't any good to start with. McNabb is better than any quarterback we've had since Jim Kelly, even at this point in his career.

Getting Donovan would take away a need and give us a legitimate leader on offense.

If the numbers are right, it's a no-brainer.

Ebenezer
03-24-2010, 10:45 AM
It's amazing what gives people their fix...how many of you thought Cowher was coming here, too. As I predicted then, this isn't going to happen either.

ChristopherWalken
03-24-2010, 10:47 AM
It's amazing what gives people their fix...how many of you thought Cowher was coming here, too. As I predicted then, this isn't going to happen either.

In all fairness, how many thought Drew Bledsoe was coming here? Or Takeo Spikes, or Terrell Owens?

THATHURMANATOR
03-24-2010, 10:50 AM
This scenario is a lot more likely than Cowher.

trapezeus
03-24-2010, 10:52 AM
pros:
1. Proven quarterback
2. Decent leader
3. played in big games.

Cons:
1. tendency to get injured
2. never won the big one..
3. getting old.

For the bills if they think, "we know we can get a top notch line through this draft. we will have crap receivers, but decent runners and a good line. Mcnabb has played with bad receivers a bunch in his career and managed. It lets our runners run more so than checkdown trent and Ryan "i'd love to go long, but i just cant' throw it that far" fitzpatrick." then you should entertain the thought.

If the bills think, "we'll take mcnabb, draft a qb to learn, and we'll get a piece or two to the line, we'll upgrade the WR, and take care of a front 7 defense that has maybe 2 or 3 people ready for the 3-4 switch." Making the trade is an incredibly stupid idea.

Mcnabb needs a good line at this stage of his career. If the bills can find that and think they can coach that, bring in mcnabb. if they are trying to juryrig something together and address all the needs in one offseason and one draft, this team will follow last year's model, but they won't hit 4 wins.

justasportsfan
03-24-2010, 10:53 AM
give em' next years 2nd rd draft pick

THATHURMANATOR
03-24-2010, 10:54 AM
give em' next years 2nd rd draft pick
Sure that is fine with me.

I am fine with pretty much anything but our first rounder.

Mathja
03-24-2010, 10:58 AM
I'd rather have Kolb....2nd this year and next maybe???

Marty Funkhouser
03-24-2010, 11:04 AM
LOL... A SECOND FOR MCNABB? If the Bills give up a 2nd round pick for McNabb, then I'd be PISSED. Anything more than a 3rd rounder would be a waste. Super Bowl? Give me whatever you're smoking. Let's try wild card first before we even start with this super bowl talk.

Even though McNabb is one of my favorite players, I don't want to give up a 1st or 2nd for a 34 year old QB. That being said, the Chiefs traded the 2nd pick of the 2nd round for Matt Cassel, and McNabb is a million times better than Cassel will ever be. I can't see the Eagles taking any less than a 1st, or maybe a 2nd and a player for McNabb.

TacklingDummy
03-24-2010, 11:05 AM
Cons:
1. tendency to get injured
2. never won the big one..
3. getting old.

More Cons

Not trading for McNabb = Edwards, Fitzpatrick, a rookie, or a has-been will be the Bills starter the next 2-3 years.

I'd offer a 3rd and Whitner or a 2nd.

Night Train
03-24-2010, 11:08 AM
Bottom line. The Bills need a Vet QB and not some unproven, overrated Draft pick who may not sign (show up) until August or later. I want a Vet working in the May OTA's and getting used to the Offense.

Quit treating these 2nd & 3rd round picks as if they're sure fire successes. Do we really need to list our draft picks for the first 4 rounds over the last 10 years to wake some up from their dream world ?

If the Bills get McNabb, they should extend him 3-4 years, draft a LT in the 1st round and find a couple NT's in the middle rounds of this draft (on top of the 3 guys we signed recently). That gives Gailey and his boys a decent start at building something. WR and RB depth can also be had in this draft or with Vets still out there.

The Bills still need another off-season anyhow to get all the starting spots and depth straightened out. Draft the future QB next year, when the class is much stronger.

McNabb would be 10 times more popular than Bledsoe was when he arrived. That marketing angle (Syracuse grad in an area that loves Syracuse) isn't lost on the Bills.

Ron Burgundy
03-24-2010, 11:08 AM
I'd rather have Kolb....2nd this year and next maybe???

Philly likes Kolb and wants to keep him. They won't move him for anything less than a blockbuster offer...two first rounders would probably do it. And in no way do I want to give up two firsts for him.

psubills62
03-24-2010, 11:11 AM
Philly likes Kolb and wants to keep him. They won't move him for anything less than a blockbuster offer...two first rounders would probably do it. And in no way do I want to give up two firsts for him.

According to their article, they've lowered their price. I think you're right that it will still be too much, as Kolb is more a QB of the future and McNabb is a QB of the present (imo). I think our shot at being able to trade for McNabb is better, but I'm not sure what our chances of signing him to an extension are.

Oaf
03-24-2010, 11:45 AM
Culpepper
:sadwalk:

Michael82
03-24-2010, 11:45 AM
For a team like Buffalo that needs to sell tickets, merchandise and those expensive suites/luxury boxes....getting a guy like Donovan McNabb is a no brainer!

Especially when you consider that they are struggling this year so far with season ticket renewals....

Not to mention, Donovan McNabb is 100 times better than the current junk we got at QB now. And it would help make our offense exciting and maybe get us back to our winning ways, especially if we add some OL help in the first round this year.

Michael82
03-24-2010, 11:48 AM
Get 'er Done, Buddy!!! :pray:

Ron Burgundy
03-24-2010, 11:51 AM
According to their article, they've lowered their price. I think you're right that it will still be too much, as Kolb is more a QB of the future and McNabb is a QB of the present (imo). I think our shot at being able to trade for McNabb is better, but I'm not sure what our chances of signing him to an extension are.

I'm not buying that lowered price thing. They aren't going to move him unless somebody gives up a ton. Why would they? He's got potential, he's been in their system for three years grooming behind McNabb, he's young and he's cheap.

You're right, McNabb is the viable option. I'd go for it, but I'm guessing they'll want a second this year and a first or second next year. That's still steep.

better days
03-24-2010, 12:02 PM
Bottom line. The Bills need a Vet QB and not some unproven, overrated Draft pick who may not sign (show up) until August or later. I want a Vet working in the May OTA's and getting used to the Offense.

Quit treating these 2nd & 3rd round picks as if they're sure fire successes. Do we really need to list our draft picks for the first 4 rounds over the last 10 years to wake some up from their dream world ?

If the Bills get McNabb, they should extend him 3-4 years, draft a LT in the 1st round and find a couple NT's in the middle rounds of this draft (on top of the 3 guys we signed recently). That gives Gailey and his boys a decent start at building something. WR and RB depth can also be had in this draft or with Vets still out there.

The Bills still need another off-season anyhow to get all the starting spots and depth straightened out. Draft the future QB next year, when the class is much stronger.

McNabb would be 10 times more popular than Bledsoe was when he arrived. That marketing angle (Syracuse grad in an area that loves Syracuse) isn't lost on the Bills.

There is NO POINT in going over the draft picks of the last 10 years, Buddy Nix was not involved, However last year #1)Maybin, #1)Wood, #2)Byrd, #2 Levitre, #4)Nelson. I DON'T want to lose ANY picks in this years deep draft.

NOT THE DUDE...
03-24-2010, 12:12 PM
i think we will end up drafting clausen....

BertSquirtgum
03-24-2010, 12:12 PM
i would love mcnabb here but in no possible way imaginable would i give anything more than a 3rd. otherwise, philly can keep him. his injuries in the past just aren't worth more of a risk than a third round pick.

Nighthawk
03-24-2010, 12:13 PM
I would not trade a 1st rounder for McNabb...IMO, he's worth a 3rd rounder and another pick at this point of his career.

HHURRICANE
03-24-2010, 12:24 PM
I'd love to know who McNabb is throwing to??

I think it's pretty laughable.

Syderick
03-24-2010, 01:09 PM

Lee Evans!

Ron Burgundy
03-24-2010, 01:11 PM

Baby steps, baby steps.

G Wolly
03-24-2010, 01:11 PM

Evans, Johnson, Hardy, Nelson

Prov401
03-24-2010, 01:57 PM
I'd love Mcnabb.

If the trade goes down, I'd draft Dez Bryant.

RockStar36
03-24-2010, 02:03 PM

Who is any QB going to throw to?

You fix one part of the problem, then you address the next.

Or should they get some receivers before they get the QB?

patmoran2006
03-24-2010, 02:20 PM
How insane would it be to trade for McNabb and then reunite him with Terrell Owens.

Buzz of the league, bar none.

mightysimi
03-24-2010, 02:21 PM
Come on. I bet there is not one of the 31 other GM's that wouldn't take Evans.

Back to the other point, I would also gladly give up next years 2nd for Mcnabb. I bet the price slowly declines as the draft approaches. We might be able to get him for a 3rd.

mayotm
03-24-2010, 02:22 PM

I think it's pretty laughable.McNabb has had a pretty good career throwing to nobody WR's.

better days
03-24-2010, 02:22 PM
Who is any QB going to throw to?

You fix one part of the problem, then you address the next.

Or should they get some receivers before they get the QB?

Yeah, I hear TO is available.

HAMMER
03-24-2010, 02:23 PM
I think you can forget about McNabb to Buffalo. He is in the last year of his deal, no one will make the trade and give up draft picks unless they can sign him to a 3 or 4 year deal. In that case he essentially can control where he goes and I assure you he does not want to come to this crappy ass franchise.

better days
03-24-2010, 02:24 PM
Come on. I bet there is not one of the 31 other GM's that wouldn't take Evans.

Back to the other point, I would also gladly give up next years 2nd for Mcnabb. I bet the price slowly declines as the draft approaches. We might be able to get him for a 3rd.

I would also give up a 2nd in NEXT years draft, but I doubt Philly would go for that.

better days
03-24-2010, 02:26 PM
Evans, Johnson, Hardy, Nelson

Johnson or Hardy could have a breakout year if the Bills get a QB to throw the ball.

billsburgh
03-24-2010, 02:44 PM
I think you can forget about McNabb to Buffalo. He is in the last year of his deal, no one will make the trade and give up draft picks unless they can sign him to a 3 or 4 year deal. In that case he essentially can control where he goes and I assure you he does not want to come to this crappy ass franchise.

However, one source with knowledge of McNabb’s interests said the 11-year veteran would favor a trade to a team with a contending roster, such as the Arizona Cardinals – a franchise that isn’t currently in the mix for his services. The source said McNabb likely wouldn’t sign a long-term deal in either Buffalo or Oakland, which could create a sticking point in any trade talks, as both franchises would expect a new deal in place before acquiring him.
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=cr-mcnabbtraderumors032410

Mathja
03-24-2010, 03:08 PM

I suggested 2 seconds because it's what Houston gave to Atlanta for Schaub. I'd say that it's a similar situation -- Schaub might have been thought of even slightly higher.