X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mike
    • Jan 2009

New Overtime Rule Question?

So, according to the new rule change, as I understand it, if the team that receives the ball first scores a TD on their first possession they win, of they get a FG then the other team has a chance for redemption. If the other team scores a FG then it goes it Sudden Death OT, if the other team scores a TD, then its over. If a defense scores a TD at any point is game over.... so

what happens if a team returns the opening kick off for a TD?

(I have not seen this issue addressed anywhere, so pleas provide link referring to kick off return TDs. Moreover, if that were to happen, there still seams to be an issue of fairness, because only one team had a chance at a return TD that was decided by a coin toss. What is even worse is that neither offense of defense even saw the field.)
    Please Make Sense
  • Pinkerton Security
    Pinkerton's son
    • Feb 2006

Re: New Overtime Rule Question?

Originally posted by Mike
    So, according to the new rule change, as I understand it, if the team that receives the ball first scores a TD on their first possession they win, of they get a FG then the other team has a chance for redemption. If the other team scores a FG then it goes it Sudden Death OT, if the other team scores a TD, then its over. If a defense scores a TD at any point is game over.... so

what happens if a team returns the opening kick off for a TD?

(I have not seen this issue addressed anywhere, so pleas provide link referring to kick off return TDs. Moreover, if that were to happen, there still seams to be an issue of fairness, because only one team had a chance at a return TD that was decided by a coin toss. What is even worse is that neither offense of defense even saw the field.)
    well i guess they figure if you give up a kickoff return TD you dont deserve the chance to win anyways.

Comment

• Ebenezer
      Give me a minute...
      • Jul 2002

I got a better one...what happens if somebody gets a safety?

For all the education and practice each of us undergoes, the achievment of mastery is ultimately the outcome of a personal quest for understanding.

Comment

• Pinkerton Security
        Pinkerton's son
        • Feb 2006

Originally posted by Ebenezer
        I got a better one...what happens if somebody gets a safety?
        i was actually wondering that myself..

Comment

• RockStar36
          Dude's Little Ignorant Crony
          • Sep 2004

I found this, which seems to answer both questions above.

Under the new rules, implemented for the playoffs only as of now, each team will get at least one possession in overtime unless the first possession ends with a touchdown or a safety.

D & S Sports

Comment

• mikemac2001
            is the creepy cross dresser staring at you in the corner
            • Mar 2003

does the winner of the coin toss have to recieve or can they kick

lets say they kick and go for an onside....knowing there defense will likely only give up 3..if the kicking team recovers would the recieving team get another chance if the kicking team goes down and gets a FG

because if i won coin toss id be more likely to kick knowing if a FG or TD would win on the 2nd poss unless my defense sucked

i like it because there are alot of different idea's behind it

hopefully my rant wasn't to confusing

MUCK
            FIAMI

Comment

• G Wolly
              • Mar 2004

I like it. At first I was skeptical but the more I read about it, it will make OT more exciting and last a little longer.

Comment

• Mike
                • Jan 2009

MIKEY,
                Please Make Sense

Comment

• Mike
                  • Jan 2009

mikey,

that is a great question. What happens if you onside it and recover? Do you take a possession away from the other team...

or lets say that you kick a FG, but then you are afraid of the other teams Offence scoring a TD, and like the Saints in the SB after halftime, you pull a trick onside and recover it, do you automatically win?
                  Please Make Sense

Comment

• G Wolly
                    • Mar 2004

Originally posted by Mike
                    mikey,

that is a great question. What happens if you onside it and recover? Do you take a possession away from the other team...

or lets say that you kick a FG, but then you are afraid of the other teams Offence scoring a TD, and like the Saints in the SB after halftime, you pull a trick onside and recover it, do you automatically win?
                    Well since the rule states that each team is guaranteed at least 1 possession, I would figure that doing an onside kick isn't legal/would be penalized.

Comment

• mikemac2001
                      • Mar 2003

Originally posted by G Wolly
                      Well since the rule states that each team is guaranteed at least 1 possession, I would figure that doing an onside kick isn't legal/would be penalized.

ya but that is a possession its just like fumbling the ball

unless its stated in the rules (and those are the little things i want to know)

MUCK
                      FIAMI

Comment

• G Wolly
                        • Mar 2004

Originally posted by mikemac2001
                        ya but that is a possession its just like fumbling the ball

unless its stated in the rules (and those are the little things i want to know)
                        But it may be classified as unsportsmanlike by trying to steal a possession from the other team instead of doing your job and keeping them from scoring.

Comment

• mikemac2001
                          • Mar 2003

Originally posted by G Wolly
                          But it may be classified as unsportsmanlike by trying to steal a possession from the other team instead of doing your job and keeping them from scoring.

Ask the saints if there onside didn't help from keeping the colts from scoring

and why would it be unsportsmanlike your giving them great field position if you don't get it.

its a risk

my whole thing is there a rule againist this or has anyone heard anything about this.

im not trying to argue just stating idea's behind what could happen

MUCK
                          FIAMI

Comment

• Coach Sal
                            • Aug 2006

1. A team can kick or receive. Many will choose to kick now under the new rules.
                            2. If a safety - or ANY other defensive score - occurs, that team wins.
                            3. If the kickoff is returned for a touchdown, that team wins.
                            4. If there is an onside kick and the kicking team recovers and scores, that team wins.
                            5. If there is an onside kick and the receiving team recovers, it is simply the 1st offensive possession and normal rules apply (TD wins, FG does not, other team still gets chance with ball if no TD).
                            Last edited by Coach Sal; 03-24-2010, 03:56 PM.
                            Click to listen:

Buffalo Bills Now! and NFL Now! podcasts
                            And every Saturday at 11am on WGR

"A good name is more desirable than great riches, and high esteem is better than silver and gold."

Class Character Commitment Consistency Courage

Comment

• mikemac2001
                              • Mar 2003

Originally posted by Coach Sal
                              1. A team can kick or receive. Many will choose to kick now under the new rules.
                              2. If a safety - or ANY other defensive score - occurs, that team wins.
                              3. If the kickoff is returned for a touchdown, that team wins.
                              4. If there is an onside kick and the recovering team scores, that team wins.
                              5. If there is an onside kick and the receiving team recovers, it is simply the 1st offensive possession and normal rules apply (TD wins, FG does not, other team still gets chance with ball if no TD).
                              Thanks

Making it more likely for an onside i think you recover you can win if you don't just hold to a FG

MUCK
                              FIAMI

Comment

Working...
                              X