PDA

View Full Version : How about this for McNabb

X-Era
03-24-2010, 06:56 PM
Swap our 1st with the Eagles.

The value of our pick is 1350, the Eagles (24th overall) is 740.

That's a differential of 610.

That's more than the 33 pick that the Rams are supposedly offering (580).

http://www.draftcountdown.com/features/Value-Chart.php

Still gives us a 1st rounder which could be used on a LT, or DT. We still keep our 2nd rounder. Saves money on the 1st round contract.

Players who may drop to 24:

Dez Bryant- Unlikely
Dan Williams- Unlikely
Jared Odrick
Charles Brown
Bruce Campbell- if Oak passes
Damian Williams
Brian Price
Brandon Graham
Everson Griffen
Arrelious Benn
Jermaine Gresham
Terrence Cody
Mike Iupati
Vlad Ducasse

Joe Fo Sho
03-24-2010, 06:58 PM
Depends on if the Eagles are interested in anyone that early in the draft. Plus with the whole "McNabb won't sign an extension in Buffalo" news...

Dicknoze69
03-24-2010, 06:58 PM

Still gives us a 1st rounder which could be used on a LT, or DT. We still keep our 2nd rounder. Saves money on the 1st round contract.

Unless that trade idea gets McNabb to change his mind about an extension here, I think it's pointless offering anything for him. I would refuse to give up valuable assets for a one year rental.

patmoran2006
03-24-2010, 07:05 PM
Doesnt sound like McNabb has an ounce of interest in coming to Buffalo.

But props to you for that research.. I like your thinking. Good stuff with the value points and everything. In theory, it sure does sound fair.

better days
03-24-2010, 07:06 PM

Players who may drop to 24:

Dez Bryant- Unlikely
Dan Williams- Unlikely
Jared Odrick
Charles Brown
Bruce Campbell- if Oak passes
Damian Williams
Brian Price
Brandon Graham
Everson Griffen
Arrelious Benn
Jermaine Gresham
Terrence Cody
Mike Iupati
Vlad Ducasse

I would do it if McNabb agreed to a new contract, which was reported he would not.

X-Era
03-24-2010, 07:06 PM
Unless that trade idea gets McNabb to change his mind about an extension here, I think it's pointless offering anything for him. I would refuse to give up valuable assets for a one year rental.

Id wait to hear something from him before believing that supposed McNabb comment. Hes got local family.

I think we could get him up here to show him around and give him an idea on our plans for the draft. If he hears that we are serious about upgrading the line, maybe that's all it will take. No way to get in his head and know what hes thinking. But, that McNabb comment was speculation, not a quote.

T-Long
03-24-2010, 07:14 PM
McNabb will not come to Buffalo. Case closed.

X-Era
03-24-2010, 07:17 PM
McNabb will not come to Buffalo. Case closed.

Hold up, you know this how?

Dicknoze69
03-24-2010, 07:18 PM
Id wait to hear something from him before believing that supposed McNabb comment. Hes got local family.

I think we could get him up here to show him around and give him an idea on our plans for the draft. If he hears that we are serious about upgrading the line, maybe that's all it will take. No way to get in his head and know what hes thinking. But, that McNabb comment was speculation, not a quote.

You're right, I'm not 100% sure that McNabb isn't interested in Buffalo. But judging from the reports I've seen, I think it's likely that he won't sign an extension here. If we can swing his opinion, your proposed deal is fairly reasonable because we won't lose picks and this is a deep draft. If I absolutely had to move a pick for him, I'd do a 3rd this year or a 2nd next year.

IMissKelly
03-24-2010, 07:19 PM
i LOVE this idea. i think u need to find someone on this site that can get that plan to the front office. serious props for the research too.

YardRat
03-24-2010, 07:20 PM
I'd do that, as long an extension was signed pre-trade.

SABURZFAN
03-24-2010, 07:21 PM
:movie:

TacklingDummy
03-24-2010, 07:23 PM

I'd rather keep the 1st, draft Spiller.
2nd round: Brandon FaFell WR, Golden Tate WR, or Cam Thomas NT.
3rd and Whitner for McNabb.
And try to get a 3rd from someone for Lynch.

YardRat
03-24-2010, 07:24 PM
3rd and Whitner for McNabb.

I'd do that in a heartbeat....don't think Philly would though.

T-Long
03-24-2010, 07:30 PM
Hold up, you know this how?
Read any article out there about McNabb and the Bills, and it says that he will not go to Buffalo or Oakland.

It's not happening. Move on everybody!!

IMissKelly
03-24-2010, 07:31 PM
not to mention acquiring Mcnabb, while his contract may only be 2years, his leadership and experience can help Trent or Brohm in the long run. that way even after he leaves there can be competition and Q. what better QB to learn and sit behind than Mcnabb.

X-Era
03-24-2010, 07:34 PM
Read any article out there about McNabb and the Bills, and it says that he will not go to Buffalo or Oakland.

My point is that these are speculation, not definitive. Id rather hear it from him.

One significant component is that McNabb has little say. The only thing he can do is refuse to resign. But, that could easily be a ploy by him, or his agent, to try to get "his pick" of a team. And, once here, he may find he likes it a lot and decides to resign with us. The Bills would likely want to sign him as part of the move, but they technically don't have to. And, in this version, we simply traded back, we didn't actually lose a pick.

X-Era
03-24-2010, 07:35 PM
not to mention acquiring Mcnabb, while his contract may only be 2years, his leadership and experience can help Trent or Brohm in the long run. that way even after he leaves there can be competition and Q. what better QB to learn and sit behind than Mcnabb.

Its actually a safer way to take your time finding the future. We don't need to have a solution from this draft, we could take a few drafts to get the right guy.

IMissKelly
03-24-2010, 07:44 PM
or atleast have mcnabb for this year and magically get jake locker next year

Nighthawk
03-24-2010, 07:48 PM

This is the crap I'm talking about. You have ZERO confirmation that he won't come here, just an article that states that he said it. I'm not an advocate for him coming here, but please, stop talking like you know something more then everybody. (this isn't just aimed at you, it's more a generalization about some who keep saying this)

Until I hear it from McNabb himself, it's just a rumor.

T-Long
03-24-2010, 07:51 PM
My point is that these are speculation, not definitive. Id rather hear it from him.

One significant component is that McNabb has little say. The only thing he can do is refuse to resign. But, that could easily be a ploy by him, or his agent, to try to get "his pick" of a team. And, once here, he may find he likes it a lot and decides to resign with us. The Bills would likely want to sign him as part of the move, but they technically don't have to. And, in this version, we simply traded back, we didn't actually lose a pick.

The Bills are not going to pony up a 2nd round pick for a guy for one guaranteed year. It's not going to happen. This team has too many needs right now and this 2nd round is rated as one of the best value rounds in a long time.

McNabb has never won a ring. Do you really think he is going to want to end his career in Buffalo with a whole new regime here and a lot of work yet to do to become competitive in their own division? Hell no.

Nix and Gailey won't do it unless there is an extension in place, and McNabb will not come to Buffalo. And the "I want to hear it from him" will never happen. Do you mean to tell me you expect him to come out and say, "Well ya know, I would go to a lot of teams, but I am NOT going to Buffalo no matter what." Of course he isn't going to say that...especially because he played his collegiate career in Syracuse.

It's fun to think about, but it will never ever happen. I can't say that enough.

PECKERWOOD
03-24-2010, 07:56 PM
Let some other sucker offer a 1st-2nd round pick for a 33 year old, declining QB, I'm not that desperate.

X-Era
03-24-2010, 07:57 PM
The Bills are not going to pony up a 2nd round pick for a guy for one guaranteed year. It's not going to happen. This team has too many needs right now and this 2nd round is rated as one of the best value rounds in a long time.

McNabb has never won a ring. Do you really think he is going to want to end his career in Buffalo with a whole new regime here and a lot of work yet to do to become competitive in their own division? Hell no.

Nix and Gailey won't do it unless there is an extension in place, and McNabb will not come to Buffalo. And the "I want to hear it from him" will never happen. Do you mean to tell me you expect him to come out and say, "Well ya know, I would go to a lot of teams, but I am NOT going to Buffalo no matter what." Of course he isn't going to say that...especially because he played his collegiate career in Syracuse.

It's fun to think about, but it will never ever happen. I can't say that enough.

1) I never said the Bills had to give up a pick, merely trade down. They keep their 2nd rounder.

2) The portion I highlighted makes my point exactly, its mere speculation. As I said, hes got friends and family up here, and is a Syracuse Alum. McNabb is set to be 34 this year. He could easily play for another 4 or 5 years. In that time, this team could go from mediocre to a playoff team or more. It could happen.

3) Besides, does McNabb really want to stay on a team that reportedly now wants to start Kolb? Again, he doesn't get to pick his team, the Eagles do. Amd the Rams are no better than us, and a helluva lot worse in many areas. Out of Buffalo, Raiders, and Rams... Buffalo seems the most attractive.

X-Era
03-24-2010, 07:58 PM
Let some other sucker offer a 1st-2nd round pick for a 33 year old, declining QB, I'm not that desperate.
Just so everyone is clear.

In my version we move down from 9 to 24, and keep all the rest of our picks. NO picks are given up, we have just as many as we started with.

jamze132
03-25-2010, 12:33 AM
Other than X-Era's plan, I am not in favor of getting a rental player, especially by giving up early round draft picks when we are trying to rebuild. What is the friggin point of spending so much on an aging veteran when we aren't going to be competitive in 2010 anyways? I could see if we were already a playoff caliber team but we are a bottom feeder right now. This McNabb to Bills talk is ridiculous IMO unless we don't have to surrender any picks or players. Even then, I am a bit sketchy since I want to see what Edwards and Brohm can do under new management.

kernowboy
03-25-2010, 04:01 AM
Signing McNabb would be like signing Bledsoe - simply a short term band aid when what you actually need to do is going to A+E and get the problem fixed once and for all.

McNabb's powers have been on the wane and unless we know he's going to enjoy some sort of Indian Summer to his career all this team is doing is sacrificing the future, thinking we can simply get bye when more radical thinking is required.

Tempting though it is to finally make the post-season once, are we really wanting to sacrifice the opportunity to be consistently there?

I still believe that with a proper pair of OT and with intelligent additions made throughout this draft, that not only do we have a QB stable that could do just as well as McNabb is likely to do (he has a higher potential but has rarely hit that) but with another draft for Nix to weave his alchemy, he will with Gailey create sustainable success.

zone
03-25-2010, 05:13 AM
McNabb is not the type of player to play games, he wants to stay in Philly and if he is getting traded he wants it done quickly so he can move on an prepare with his new team, to win games and bring them a Super Bowl.

If he is offered a fair contract extension to sign I believe he would sign it and play his heart out for this, or whatever organization he is traded to.

If he is traded to Buffalo he will be a hero with the fans, unlike how he has been treated his entire career in Philly.

X-Era
03-25-2010, 05:54 AM
Signing McNabb would be like signing Bledsoe - simply a short term band aid when what you actually need to do is going to A+E and get the problem fixed once and for all.

McNabb's powers have been on the wane and unless we know he's going to enjoy some sort of Indian Summer to his career all this team is doing is sacrificing the future, thinking we can simply get bye when more radical thinking is required.

Tempting though it is to finally make the post-season once, are we really wanting to sacrifice the opportunity to be consistently there?

I still believe that with a proper pair of OT and with intelligent additions made throughout this draft, that not only do we have a QB stable that could do just as well as McNabb is likely to do (he has a higher potential but has rarely hit that) but with another draft for Nix to weave his alchemy, he will with Gailey create sustainable success.

Agree that McNabb is a simple stop-gap. But it does allow us to look past this draft for a QB of the future. With McNabb, you get a quality QB for several years while you groom the new QB.

TacklingDummy
03-25-2010, 07:07 AM
Agree that McNabb is a simple stop-gap.
Stop-gap for the next 4-5 years. I'd take it.
What's the alternative? Edwards, Fitzpatrick, has-been, rookie, it's a no brainer.

BoyILuvLoznStupidly
03-25-2010, 07:24 AM
I was listening to WHAM AM 1180 driving my son to work and they said that Philly wants 1 first round for Mcnabb and 2 first rounders for Kolb. I think that is too high of a asking price for either QB.