PDA

View Full Version : An Examination of Bills Second Rounders

patmoran2006
03-25-2010, 12:26 PM
Now that it’s common knowledge the Philadelphia Eagles are at least entertaining trade offers for Donovan McNabb, it’s only logical for the Buffalo Bills to be linked to rumors. The Bills are one of the few teams in the league with a completely unsettled quarterback situation, so much that as of now Chan Gailey claims there will be an open competition come training camp.

It’s being reported the Eagles could part with McNabb for a second round
pick. It’s also been reported that the St. Louis Rams have already offered their second round pick (33<SUP>rd</SUP> overall) to the Eagles, though both sides have denied such an offer.

Buffalo owns the ninth pick of the second round, the 41<SUP>st</SUP> overall.

The following is not an examination of McNabb and if he’d be a good fit for Buffalo.

Personally, it’s not a trade I see happening. The Bills won’t trade without a contract extension in place and McNabb allegedly has said he has no interest in signing such a deal with the Bills.

But regardless, we’re not chronicling whether his being under center would make the Bills a playoff contender or improve on their six-win total of a year ago.

Instead we’re going to focus on what the compensation would really entail, given the team’s recent draft history. A second round pick shouldn’t be taken lightly.

Sure, by the time teams are on the clock in round two the commissioner doesn’t announce the picks at the podium, but the selection is a critically important building block of a football team.

Second rounders are expected to become starters.
The Bills have had moderate success with their second round picks over the last 15 years. They’ve had a few Pro Bowlers, a couple of middle of the road guys and frankly, a flat-out bust or two.

The following is a look at the last 15 second round picks the Bills have selected, categorized by yours truly. Feel free to disagree.

The Great Ones
Jairus Byrd (2009): It’s rare to have a second round rookie make such a big impact, but Byrd was arguably the Bills best player last season, quite the accomplishment considering he wasn’t a full time starter. Byrd played in 14 games and tied for the NFL lead with nine interceptions and was voted to the Pro Bowl, though a groin injury prevented him for participating. His future here looks very bright.

Aaron Schobel (2001): If the Bills had more second round selections like Schobel there’s little doubt they’d have participated in a few playoff games last decade. Schobel has reached double digits in sacks four times including last season and has 78 total in 133 games. He’s moving to outside linebacker in the 3-4 assuming he doesn’t retire. Even if he never plays another down for Buffalo he’ll go down as one of the better second rounders the team has ever taken.

The Ones Who Almost Got There
Travis Henry (2001): For two years Tom Donahoe looked like a genius for drafting him. After a decent rookie season, Henry exploded his sophomore campaign to the tune of 1,438 rushing yards and followed it up the next season with 1,356. The next season the Bills drafted Willis McGahee and within two years, Henry was jettisoned out of Buffalo. Perhaps Donahoe was on to the off-field problems that would soon plague him, but for a short amount of time Henry was one of the league’s best running backs. Unfortunately for him and the team, it didn’t last long enough.

Peerless Price (1999): The second rounder out of Tennessee was one of the game’s best number two receivers during his first go round with the team. His 2002 season was magical when he caught 94 passes for 1,252 yards and nine touchdowns. Following that year he was franchised and later traded to Atlanta. Price returned in 2006 as a free agent, but by that time was merely a shell of his former self. He had 49 catches in 2006 before being gone for good after four games in 2007. Overall he was a quality pick and had he stayed and had a few more good years he’d be near the top of this list.

Sam Cowart (1998): He looked like he was on his way to stardom in his first three years with the team. In 2000 he had 130 tackles, 5.5 sacks and a pair of interceptions. Sadly during the opening day of 2001 his career took a turn for the worse after suffering a terrible Achilles tendon injury. He missed the rest of the season and never played another down for the Bills. He went on to have some success with the New York Jets, but never matched what he showed during his far-too-brief Buffalo tenure.

Marcellus Wiley (1997): Wiley was well on his way to being one of the league’s best pass rushers. In his fourth season with the Bills he reached 10.5 sacks and was voted to the Pro Bowl. Following that season however, Wiley took the money and ran. The free agent signed with San Diego for six-years and $40 million. He had 13 sacks his first season with the Chargers but it went downhill after that. Much like Cowart, had Wiley been in Buffalo longer he’d be near the top of this list.

The Ones With Plenty Of Potential
Paul Posluszny (2007): Posluszny’s had a solid if unspectacular first three years in the league… when’s he’s actually on the field. He’s had 100+ tackles in each of the past two years and his three interceptions last year showed he can make big plays. However, his twice-injured arm is a concern. Posluszny is expected to be a beneficiary of the 3-4 defensive switch coming and 2010 will be a good indicator of where his career headed. Is he a star or just “another guy” on the defense?

Andy Levitre (2009): While overall the Bills offensive line was a mess last year, Levitre arguably had the most consistent year. He performed adequately as a rookie left guard starter from day one and injuries forced him to also spend time at tackle. New general manager Buddy Nix is working feverishly to improve the line, but Levitre seems to be the least of their problems.

The Ones With Plenty To Prove
James Hardy (2008): It’s kind of unfair to evaluate him after two seasons that’s been marred with a severe ACL knee injury. One thing is for certain; it doesn’t bode well for him that Perry Fewell had no interest in getting him on the field once he was healthy during the second half of 2009. With the Bills failing to land a big ticket wide receiver in free agency and unlikely to select one early in the draft, it appears Hardy will finally get a chance to prove his worth in his third year. The supporters will say it took Eric Moulds three years to jumpstart his career. Regardless of your stance, the bottom line is he’s done next to nothing at this point and has a lot to prove.

The Ones That Didn’t/Don’t Matter Much
Chris Kelsay (2003): Sure, the Bills have gotten six years out of him (to this point) as a starter, but players like Kelsay are indicative of why the Bills are annually a playoff observer. He’s been decent but nothing to write home about. He has 22 sacks and five forced fumbles in 110 career games. Gritty and hardworking is the book on him, but easily replaceable.

Josh Reed (2002): See Kelsay. Reed was somewhat productive during his seven-year tenure here, but failed to reach the level the front office hoped when taking him early in 2002. He never reached 60 receptions or 600 yards in a season. At his best he was a solid number three. At worst he was a failure as a legitimate starting option.

Ryan Denney (2002): Productivity- wise he was a poor man’s version of Kelsay. There’s nothing really more to add than that.

Gabe Northern (1996): He showed promise as a rookie with five sacks, but never did much after that. He’d go on to have just five and a half sacks over his next three years before fleeing to Minnesota in 2000.

The Busts
Roscoe Parrish (2005): Donahoe used the Bills first pick in this draft on Parrish because he thought he could be a game changer at receiver. He was wrong. In part because he hasn’t had a surplus of chances, but more so because he hasn’t taken advantage of them, Parrish has barely made a whimper in the passing game. He’s never had more than 32 catches in a season or 350 yards. To his credit he was one of the best punt returners in football, but fumbled his way out.

Ron Burgundy
03-25-2010, 12:50 PM
Roscoe is less of a bust than several of the guys listed here, if only due to his return skills.

wmoz11
03-25-2010, 01:05 PM
Nice write-up, thanks for putting in the time.

I have to say that Jairus Byrd is quickly becoming the most overrated Bills player in recent memory. I'm not ready to call him "great" yet, although he definitely seems to have a bright future.

I'd like to see him improve in the run game and take better pursuit angles and become a more well-rounded safety before I put him in "great" status.

Still, nice work Pat.

SquishDaFish
03-25-2010, 01:06 PM
Man Gabe Northern damn your bringing back some names now lol

Mahdi
03-25-2010, 01:08 PM
I would put Wood ahead of Levitre in terms of promise.

k-oneputt
03-25-2010, 01:10 PM
I'd take Roscoe over Reed anyday.
At worst he can return kicks and if you get a coach that knows how to use him he could be an asset since he can take it the distance and make big plays.

better days
03-25-2010, 01:14 PM
Roscoe is less of a bust than several of the guys listed here, if only due to his return skills.

Yeah Roscoe did a great job returning kicks last year................NOT!!!!

kernowboy
03-25-2010, 01:14 PM
For me 2nd thru 3rd rounds are the most important picks in a draft.

The 1st rounder is expected to produce.

Any player who makes it from the 4th and below is a pleasant surprise.

Its the 2nd and 3rd rounders which make the draft.

Of last years draft I think we need to see Byrd's sophmore year before we bistow greatness ... he had a lot of INTS but so does Atogwe and he isn't the best all round FS.

As for Levitre he played well, but I'm not sure he warranted moving up for. I think if we'd drafted William Beatty or Sebastian Vollmer and then a guard like Duke Robinson or Herman Johnson in the 5th, we'd all be looking to draft a QB this year rather than still be looking for a LT.

ZAZusmc03
03-25-2010, 01:15 PM
I really hope Gailey can find the right way to use Roscoe. Regardless of how bad he has been for us in the receiving game, I still think in the right system he could be a threat much like Harvin is for the Vikes.

malvado78
03-25-2010, 01:17 PM
I would put Wood ahead of Levitre in terms of promise.

What is your point? This is a discussion of second round picks. Wood was a first.

k-oneputt
03-25-2010, 01:21 PM

Maybe if Dickwad didn't jack him around back there things would have been different. Sure didn't do to bad in previous years.

better days
03-25-2010, 01:49 PM
Maybe if Dickwad didn't jack him around back there things would have been different. Sure didn't do to bad in previous years.

I was a fan of his in the past, but he sucked last year. I don't know how big a role Dick played, but I remember one punt in particular that was inside the 15 Yard line & he called for a fair catch with only one guy near him. Even the announcers could not believe it & said so.

OpIv37
03-25-2010, 01:50 PM

Man, people have selective memories.

Roscoe doesn't keep his head in the game on punt returns. He fumbles trying to catch the ball on the run. He fields the ball inside the 10. He tries to run backwards to get an angle as if he was still playing college ball and loses 10 yards.

Sure, when he doesn't do something stupid, he turns in spectacular returns from time to time. But he's a feast or famine player who makes too many mental mistakes. And then *****es about not getting the ball enough on O.

I can't stand Jauron and I rarely defended him, but this one's on Roscoe, not him.

k-oneputt
03-25-2010, 02:25 PM
The guy was the best punt returner for three years. Last year he made some questionable decisions, gets benched, gets re-inserted and is trying to make plays, which leads to more bad decisions. Agreed, he didn't have a good year but the ability and talent is there and he can be brought back to returning kicks.
Offensively they have never used Parrish properly. Main reason for that was the piss poor coaching . Maybe Gailey can utilize him properly. You notice Gailey cleaned house with the wr's when he came aboard but kept Parrish. You wonder why ????
He didn't hesitate getting rid of Ownes, Reed or Jenkins.

OpIv37
03-25-2010, 02:29 PM
The guy was the best punt returner for three years. Last year he made some questionable decisions, gets benched, gets re-inserted and is trying to make plays, which leads to more bad decisions. Agreed, he didn't have a good year but the ability and talent is there and he can be brought back to returning kicks.
Offensively they have never used Parrish properly. Main reason for that was the piss poor coaching . Maybe Gailey can utilize him properly. You notice Gailey cleaned house with the wr's when he came aboard but kept Parrish. You wonder why ????
He didn't hesitate getting rid of Ownes, Reed or Jenkins.
it wasn't just last year- he ALWAYS made questionable decisions. Like all Miami players, the guy is dumb as a box of rocks.

The reason Parrish isn't used properly on offense has NOTHING to do with coaching. It's because he's about 4'2" and runs piss poor routes. He can't get open, and in the rare instances where he does, he's too hard for the QB's to find. Just watch Josh Reed- he's twice the size of Parrish and half the speed, but when he makes his cut, he comes open, at least briefly (and he's not even that good). When Parrish runs a route, the DB runs right with him as if he knew the route better than Parrish himself.

I hope Gailey isn't counting on Parrish as a WR because it simply won't work.

EDS
03-25-2010, 02:35 PM
Sam Cowart was, in my opinion, the best post Bruce defensive player the Bills have had. That injury set the franchise back years.

What year was Travaris Tillman? Wasn't he the second round pick the year of Erik Flowers? And what year was Bucky Brooks for that matter.

k-oneputt
03-25-2010, 02:39 PM
Parrish has speed and can take it to the house. Reed has neither.
Reason being Reed is not here and Parrish is.

SABURZFAN
03-25-2010, 02:40 PM
wasn't Roscoe a 3rd round pick?

psubills62
03-25-2010, 02:46 PM

The reason Reed isn't here is because his contract ran out. If Parrish's contract expired this offseason, I doubt they would have worked too hard to re-sign him.

Op is COMPLETELY right. For every great return the guy had, he had a stupid one to go along with it. Anyone remember when he fielded a punt right on the goal line and proceeded to try to return it? He actually got to the 20 yard line or so, but because the bonehead surprised his own blockers, the refs ended up calling a holding on the return...at the 1 yard line. And I'm quite sure that play was prior to 2009.

OpIv37
03-25-2010, 02:52 PM

Speed doesn't matter if you can't get open to get the ball, or if you field a punt and run the wrong way.

patmoran2006
03-25-2010, 02:52 PM
Sam Cowart was, in my opinion, the best post Bruce defensive player the Bills have had. That injury set the franchise back years.

What year was Travaris Tillman? Wasn't he the second round pick the year of Erik Flowers? And what year was Bucky Brooks for that matter.

Partially agree with that. I think if he didnt get hurt he was on his way.

I loved Sam Cowart, he was tenacious as hell.

k-oneputt
03-25-2010, 02:56 PM
Just a gut feeling but if the Bills offered Reed to re-up I'm 100% positive he would of had that contract signed before the ink dried. We will see if Reed is even playing in the league come Sept. and if Parrish is playing come Sept.

patmoran2006
03-25-2010, 02:58 PM
Just a gut feeling but if the Bills offered Reed to re-up I'm 100% positive he would of had that contract signed before the ink dried. We will see if Reed is even playing in the league come Sept. and if Parrish is playing come Sept.

He could end up in Carolina

k-oneputt
03-25-2010, 02:58 PM
He could end up on his couch too.

JCBills
03-25-2010, 03:22 PM
The incompetency of past management doesn't mean top notch players don't consistently come out of the second round. Yeah, the heads running it previously weren't too hot, but Buddy Nix's draft record speaks for itself, and a 2nd rounder with Nix on board is like a top 20 pick in previous years. Vincent Jackson 2005 (took Sproles in the 4th that year while we were busy drafting Duke Preston) Marcus McNeill 2006, and SD's entire draft in 2004 was absurdly amazing.

You can google the past drafts and see the long list of exceptional players and pro-bowlers taken in the 2nd, some years the second round looks almost as good as the first.

Ron Burgundy
03-25-2010, 03:54 PM

Nope, not last year.

Check back on his stats over his career, though. You really missed some exciting stuff.

better days
03-25-2010, 03:56 PM
Nope, not last year.

Check back on his stats over his career, though. You really missed some exciting stuff.

I didn't miss a thing. The question is why was he so BAD last year?

JCBills
03-25-2010, 04:16 PM
I didn't miss a thing. The question is why was he so BAD last year?

He was denied a trade. Doesn't want to be in Buffalo.

better days
03-25-2010, 04:25 PM
He was denied a trade. Doesn't want to be in Buffalo.

That could be the reason. Jason Peters & Antonio Bryant both tanked seasons because they were unhappy with the team they were on. If I were a GM or HC, I would not want a player like that on my team.

YardRat
03-25-2010, 05:52 PM
Way too early to tag a 'great' label on Byrd.