• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Marty Funkhouser
    Junior Zoner
    • Mar 2010

My McNabb thread

Ok, so I was reading the TOS, and apparently everybody is required to start at least one McNabb thread. So here's mine.....

IF we are going to trade for McNabb, this is what we should do. Our 2nd, Whitner, and (if they want him) Trent, for McNabb and a 4th. Phily needs both SS's and FS's, so Whitner would help them. They may want Trent. He'd be a decent backup, who wouldn't make too many mistakes if called upon.

We'd have to get that 4th though in return though. If we got McNabb, it would mean we MUST go LT in round 1. With our 3rd and two 4th round picks, we'd need a NT, WR and maybe another OT. No sense in trading for a 34 year old, injury prone QB if you're not going to put an OLine in front of him. Otherwise, it's Bledsoe all over again.

I'm really not sure if I want McNabb though. That 2nd round pick is valuable. We could have our NT or LT for the next 5-10 years with that pick, so it is gonna be hard to stomach trading it for a older QB, who may not play too much longer. Especially if we suck. If we trade for him, and we suck for the next two years, he'll just retire. Also, his durability scares me. He's only played one full (16 game) season since 2003. He's not mobile anymore, which is fine. He's transformed himself into a great pocket-passer.

McNabb is one of my favorite players in the NFL. He has been for quite a while. I draft him as my fantasy QB every year, and if we traded for him I'd buy his jersey immediately. But I just don't know if we should do it, because it doesn't help us long-term. Sure, it makes us better this season, but we'll be drafting another QB in a year or two. If we build the OLine and DLine this year, and put together a solid core of young players, we'll probably suck this year, but then we'll be able to draft Locker or Mallet next year and put them into a great situation (like the Jets did with Sanchez).

We are in the middle of a complete rebuild. If we're gonna trade for somebody, it should be a young player on the way up. Not somebody who's career is winding down.

What does everybody think?
    Last edited by Marty Funkhouser; 03-26-2010, 10:55 AM.

Re: My McNabb thread

I don't want to make the move.

Its a bit like having a fractured leg and the doctor giving you a bandaid rather than providing a splint.

At best McNabb will get us to the fringe of the playoffs with maybe a 9-7 record and this will cost us better position in the 2011 draft.

A 9-7 record with no playoff or a 6-10 record with no playoff still means no playoff.

If we can draft on the lines this year with our R1 and R2 pick, we won't make up ground in terms of wins, especially as we will have a new offence and defence for the players to pick up. It will mean we have worse position in next years draft where we could draft a QB who will provide us with 5-10 years of good play and who could not only take us to the playoffs but keep us there.

Trading for fading players, who have been injury prone, in the hope of them having an Indian summer is simply a ploy to sell replica shirts and not the way to build a team that can enjoy SUSTAINABLE success.

And in addition to Locker and Mallett there might be several QBs next year who easily merit a R1 selection.

Comment

• Marty Funkhouser
      Junior Zoner
      • Mar 2010

Originally posted by kernowboy

Its a bit like having a fractured leg and the doctor giving you a bandaid rather than providing a splint.

At best McNabb will get us to the fringe of the playoffs with maybe a 9-7 record and this will cost us better position in the 2011 draft.

A 9-7 record with no playoff or a 6-10 record with no playoff still means no playoff.

If we can draft on the lines this year with our R1 and R2 pick, we won't make up ground in terms of wins, especially as we will have a new offence and defence for the players to pick up. It will mean we have worse position in next years draft where we could draft a QB who will provide us with 5-10 years of good play and who could not only take us to the playoffs but keep us there.

Trading for fading players, who have been injury prone, in the hope of them having an Indian summer is simply a ploy to sell replica shirts and not the way to build a team that can enjoy SUSTAINABLE success.

And in addition to Locker and Mallett there might be several QBs next year who easily merit a R1 selection.
      I agree 100% with everything you said. I'd rather suck this year, and be in position to be competitive for the next 10.

Comment

• Ron Burgundy
        • Nov 2005

Choosing what football players to sign in order to secure draft position for the following year is absolutely one of the most ******ed things I've ever heard.

You know, we ought to cut Fred Jackson, Brian Moorman, Jairus Byrd, and Lee Evans, too. They're just going to help us get wins, and we won't be able to get the top prospects next year. What if we draft 32nd instead of 5th? That would SUCK.

People act like McNabb would be good for a season and then retire. The guy is only 33 and played at a very high level last year. He certainly has at least two more seasons in him, if not more. He is a Pro-Bowl caliber quarterback, a tough football player, and a legitimate leader.

Provided that we can sign McNabb to an extension, and that the price is right, there is absolutely no reason NOT to try and get him.

Comment

• Night Train
          Retired - On Several Levels
          • Jul 2005

Originally posted by Ron Burgundy
          Choosing what football players to sign in order to secure draft position for the following year is absolutely one of the most ******ed things I've ever heard.

You know, we ought to cut Fred Jackson, Brian Moorman, Jairus Byrd, and Lee Evans, too. They're just going to help us get wins, and we won't be able to get the top prospects next year. What if we draft 32nd instead of 5th? That would SUCK.

People act like McNabb would be good for a season and then retire. The guy is only 33 and played at a very high level last year. He certainly has at least two more seasons in him, if not more. He is a Pro-Bowl caliber quarterback, a tough football player, and a legitimate leader.

Provided that we can sign McNabb to an extension, and that the price is right, there is absolutely no reason NOT to try and get him.
          Winning will just set this franchise back 5 years.

Err...wait a minute..
          Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• YardRat
            Well, lookie here...
            • Dec 2004

Emphasis on...

Provided that we can sign McNabb to an extension, and that the price is right
            YardRat Wall of Fame
            #56 DARRYL TALLEY
            #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• Ron Burgundy
              • Nov 2005

Originally posted by YardRat
              Emphasis on...
              Without question.

Comment

The key is McNabb has not finished a season not being injured since 2003.

This is despite being protected by Tra Thomas and last year Jason Peters, two Pro Bowlers

Ladies and gentleman, I give you the turnstyle called Demetrius Bell.

In addition we don't really had as good an OL and very young receivers.

Considering McNabb's propensity for throwing his team mates under the bus, he could do more damage to the franchise than problems he'd solve.

McNabb is like Bledsoe, despite being 33, injuries have caught up with him and he's not the QB he was in his earlier years.

And I'd rather finish 5-11, missing the playoffs and continue to restock the roster through Day1 and Day2 of the draft by picking at No6-No8 maybe getting a franchise QB, than finish 9-7 like Houston, Pittsburgh and Atlanta having still MISSED THE PLAYOFFS and be picking at 18-20 in each round. We might be just over .500 but we're not really winning.

As the Penguins in the NHL did a few years, if you fail and fail badly and then draft properly, you can quickly go from zero to hero, and actually stay at hero level.

Do you think the Penguins would have won the Stanley Cup if they'd not had the chance to draft Fleury, Crosby and Malkin?
                Last edited by Guest; 03-26-2010, 12:44 PM.

Comment

• Marty Funkhouser
                  Junior Zoner
                  • Mar 2010

I NEVER said that we should make moves so that we suck this year. Where the heck did you get that from?

I said that I'd rather we solidify the lines (even if that means we do suck this year) so that we'll be in a great position going forward.

Comment

• Ron Burgundy
                    • Nov 2005

Originally posted by Marty Funkhouser
                    I NEVER said that we should make moves so that we suck this year. Where the heck did you get that from?

I said that I'd rather we solidify the lines (even if that means we do suck this year) so that we'll be in a great position going forward.
                    I didn't get it from you, Funkhouser.

Last edited by Dude; 03-26-2010, 03:06 PM.

Comment

If we don't make the playoffs Ron, how do you think we are winning?

Comment

• Tourettes Guy
                        Zoner
                        • Mar 2010

Don't worry, Ron...I think Funkhouser is just upset about finishing 2nd in the ratings. Again.

Comment

Does anyone really think that the addition of an ailing continually injured QB, will get us a 10-6 / 11-5 record when we don't have a starting quality LT, no starting quality No2 WR, a starting TE with 6 career catches, a new Defensive alignment with no genuine NT, several veterans playing a new position for the first time, are leading pass rusher considering retirement and in a division where the 3 other teams all have a head start on us, in terms of personnel and their familiarity with their systems?
                          Last edited by Guest; 03-26-2010, 01:50 PM.

Comment

• OpIv37
                            Acid Douching Asswipe
                            • Sep 2002

I agree with your general premise but this team is NOWHERE NEAR 9-7, with or without McNabb. Without McNabb, we're looking at 3-4 wins. With McNabb, 5-6.

Use the draft to build out the 3-4 D, and grab an OL or two if we luck out with how the picks fall. Worry about everything else next year, including QB.
                            MiKiDo Facebook
                            MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Buffalogic
                              Rumblin' Stumblin' Bumblin'
                              • Feb 2006

If we can get McNabb for either a swap of first round picks or for our second round pick or maybe a Lynch deal then we would be stupid not to do it, but it would only make sense if he signs at least a 3 yr extension so we could have him for four full seasons. That way you can compete right now and instead of trying to get good in the future you can be good now and in the future just try to stay good.

Comment

Working...
                              X