View Full Version : My McNabb thread

Marty Funkhouser
03-26-2010, 10:41 AM
Ok, so I was reading the TOS, and apparently everybody is required to start at least one McNabb thread. So here's mine.....

IF we are going to trade for McNabb, this is what we should do. Our 2nd, Whitner, and (if they want him) Trent, for McNabb and a 4th. Phily needs both SS's and FS's, so Whitner would help them. They may want Trent. He'd be a decent backup, who wouldn't make too many mistakes if called upon.

We'd have to get that 4th though in return though. If we got McNabb, it would mean we MUST go LT in round 1. With our 3rd and two 4th round picks, we'd need a NT, WR and maybe another OT. No sense in trading for a 34 year old, injury prone QB if you're not going to put an OLine in front of him. Otherwise, it's Bledsoe all over again.

I'm really not sure if I want McNabb though. That 2nd round pick is valuable. We could have our NT or LT for the next 5-10 years with that pick, so it is gonna be hard to stomach trading it for a older QB, who may not play too much longer. Especially if we suck. If we trade for him, and we suck for the next two years, he'll just retire. Also, his durability scares me. He's only played one full (16 game) season since 2003. He's not mobile anymore, which is fine. He's transformed himself into a great pocket-passer.

McNabb is one of my favorite players in the NFL. He has been for quite a while. I draft him as my fantasy QB every year, and if we traded for him I'd buy his jersey immediately. But I just don't know if we should do it, because it doesn't help us long-term. Sure, it makes us better this season, but we'll be drafting another QB in a year or two. If we build the OLine and DLine this year, and put together a solid core of young players, we'll probably suck this year, but then we'll be able to draft Locker or Mallet next year and put them into a great situation (like the Jets did with Sanchez).

We are in the middle of a complete rebuild. If we're gonna trade for somebody, it should be a young player on the way up. Not somebody who's career is winding down.

What does everybody think?

kernowboy
03-26-2010, 10:49 AM
I don't want to make the move.

Its a bit like having a fractured leg and the doctor giving you a bandaid rather than providing a splint.

At best McNabb will get us to the fringe of the playoffs with maybe a 9-7 record and this will cost us better position in the 2011 draft.

A 9-7 record with no playoff or a 6-10 record with no playoff still means no playoff.

If we can draft on the lines this year with our R1 and R2 pick, we won't make up ground in terms of wins, especially as we will have a new offence and defence for the players to pick up. It will mean we have worse position in next years draft where we could draft a QB who will provide us with 5-10 years of good play and who could not only take us to the playoffs but keep us there.

Trading for fading players, who have been injury prone, in the hope of them having an Indian summer is simply a ploy to sell replica shirts and not the way to build a team that can enjoy SUSTAINABLE success.

And in addition to Locker and Mallett there might be several QBs next year who easily merit a R1 selection.

Marty Funkhouser
03-26-2010, 10:54 AM

Its a bit like having a fractured leg and the doctor giving you a bandaid rather than providing a splint.

At best McNabb will get us to the fringe of the playoffs with maybe a 9-7 record and this will cost us better position in the 2011 draft.

A 9-7 record with no playoff or a 6-10 record with no playoff still means no playoff.

If we can draft on the lines this year with our R1 and R2 pick, we won't make up ground in terms of wins, especially as we will have a new offence and defence for the players to pick up. It will mean we have worse position in next years draft where we could draft a QB who will provide us with 5-10 years of good play and who could not only take us to the playoffs but keep us there.

Trading for fading players, who have been injury prone, in the hope of them having an Indian summer is simply a ploy to sell replica shirts and not the way to build a team that can enjoy SUSTAINABLE success.

And in addition to Locker and Mallett there might be several QBs next year who easily merit a R1 selection.

I agree 100% with everything you said. I'd rather suck this year, and be in position to be competitive for the next 10.

Ron Burgundy
03-26-2010, 12:05 PM
Choosing what football players to sign in order to secure draft position for the following year is absolutely one of the most ******ed things I've ever heard.

You know, we ought to cut Fred Jackson, Brian Moorman, Jairus Byrd, and Lee Evans, too. They're just going to help us get wins, and we won't be able to get the top prospects next year. What if we draft 32nd instead of 5th? That would SUCK.

People act like McNabb would be good for a season and then retire. The guy is only 33 and played at a very high level last year. He certainly has at least two more seasons in him, if not more. He is a Pro-Bowl caliber quarterback, a tough football player, and a legitimate leader.

Provided that we can sign McNabb to an extension, and that the price is right, there is absolutely no reason NOT to try and get him.

Night Train
03-26-2010, 12:08 PM
Choosing what football players to sign in order to secure draft position for the following year is absolutely one of the most ******ed things I've ever heard.

You know, we ought to cut Fred Jackson, Brian Moorman, Jairus Byrd, and Lee Evans, too. They're just going to help us get wins, and we won't be able to get the top prospects next year. What if we draft 32nd instead of 5th? That would SUCK.

People act like McNabb would be good for a season and then retire. The guy is only 33 and played at a very high level last year. He certainly has at least two more seasons in him, if not more. He is a Pro-Bowl caliber quarterback, a tough football player, and a legitimate leader.

Provided that we can sign McNabb to an extension, and that the price is right, there is absolutely no reason NOT to try and get him.

Winning will just set this franchise back 5 years.

Err...wait a minute..

YardRat
03-26-2010, 12:08 PM
Emphasis on...

Provided that we can sign McNabb to an extension, and that the price is right

Ron Burgundy
03-26-2010, 12:16 PM
Emphasis on...

Without question.

kernowboy
03-26-2010, 12:29 PM
The key is McNabb has not finished a season not being injured since 2003.

This is despite being protected by Tra Thomas and last year Jason Peters, two Pro Bowlers

Ladies and gentleman, I give you the turnstyle called Demetrius Bell.

In addition we don't really had as good an OL and very young receivers.

Considering McNabb's propensity for throwing his team mates under the bus, he could do more damage to the franchise than problems he'd solve.

McNabb is like Bledsoe, despite being 33, injuries have caught up with him and he's not the QB he was in his earlier years.

And I'd rather finish 5-11, missing the playoffs and continue to restock the roster through Day1 and Day2 of the draft by picking at No6-No8 maybe getting a franchise QB, than finish 9-7 like Houston, Pittsburgh and Atlanta having still MISSED THE PLAYOFFS and be picking at 18-20 in each round. We might be just over .500 but we're not really winning.

As the Penguins in the NHL did a few years, if you fail and fail badly and then draft properly, you can quickly go from zero to hero, and actually stay at hero level.

Do you think the Penguins would have won the Stanley Cup if they'd not had the chance to draft Fleury, Crosby and Malkin?

Marty Funkhouser
03-26-2010, 12:39 PM

I NEVER said that we should make moves so that we suck this year. Where the heck did you get that from?

I said that I'd rather we solidify the lines (even if that means we do suck this year) so that we'll be in a great position going forward.

Ron Burgundy
03-26-2010, 12:43 PM
I NEVER said that we should make moves so that we suck this year. Where the heck did you get that from?

I said that I'd rather we solidify the lines (even if that means we do suck this year) so that we'll be in a great position going forward.

I didn't get it from you, Funkhouser.

kernowboy
03-26-2010, 12:46 PM

If we don't make the playoffs Ron, how do you think we are winning?

Tourettes Guy
03-26-2010, 12:47 PM

Don't worry, Ron...I think Funkhouser is just upset about finishing 2nd in the ratings. Again.

kernowboy
03-26-2010, 12:50 PM
Does anyone really think that the addition of an ailing continually injured QB, will get us a 10-6 / 11-5 record when we don't have a starting quality LT, no starting quality No2 WR, a starting TE with 6 career catches, a new Defensive alignment with no genuine NT, several veterans playing a new position for the first time, are leading pass rusher considering retirement and in a division where the 3 other teams all have a head start on us, in terms of personnel and their familiarity with their systems?

OpIv37
03-26-2010, 12:51 PM

I agree with your general premise but this team is NOWHERE NEAR 9-7, with or without McNabb. Without McNabb, we're looking at 3-4 wins. With McNabb, 5-6.

Use the draft to build out the 3-4 D, and grab an OL or two if we luck out with how the picks fall. Worry about everything else next year, including QB.

Buffalogic
03-26-2010, 12:52 PM
If we can get McNabb for either a swap of first round picks or for our second round pick or maybe a Lynch deal then we would be stupid not to do it, but it would only make sense if he signs at least a 3 yr extension so we could have him for four full seasons. That way you can compete right now and instead of trying to get good in the future you can be good now and in the future just try to stay good.

kernowboy
03-26-2010, 12:56 PM
I agree with your general premise but this team is NOWHERE NEAR 9-7, with or without McNabb. Without McNabb, we're looking at 3-4 wins. With McNabb, 5-6.

Use the draft to build out the 3-4 D, and grab an OL or two if we luck out with how the picks fall. Worry about everything else next year, including QB.

Exactly OpIv37

All the addition of McNabb will do is give us a couple more wins.

However his caustic personality on a losing team might do more damage than problems it solves.

Picking at 5 or 6, we may get a QB of the future in 2011 (if we don't draft one this year) considering other teams needs

Picking at 13 or 14 and the chances are we'll not or we'll need to trade up giving up useful picks to do so.

Its not a case of wanting to lose, it is accepting the reality that we will, and therefore understanding that its better to fail in a constructive manner which will help the team through 2012-2017

RockStar36
03-26-2010, 12:59 PM

This is despite being protected by Tra Thomas and last year Jason Peters, two Pro Bowlers

Considering McNabb's propensity for throwing his team mates under the bus, he could do more damage to the franchise than problems he'd solve.

McNabb is like Bledsoe, despite being 33, injuries have caught up with him and he's not the QB he was in his earlier years.

And I'd rather finish 5-11, missing the playoffs and continue to restock the roster through Day1 and Day2 of the draft by picking at No6-No8 maybe getting a franchise QB, than finish 9-7 like Houston, Pittsburgh and Atlanta having still MISSED THE PLAYOFFS and be picking at 18-20 in each round. We might be just over .500 but we're not really winning.

As the Penguins in the NHL did a few years, if you fail and fail badly and then draft properly, you can quickly go from zero to hero, and actually stay at hero level.

Do you think the Penguins would have won the Stanley Cup if they'd not had the chance to draft Fleury, Crosby and Malkin?

McNabb has missed about four games in the past three seasons.

That is hardly injury prone.

Tourettes Guy
03-26-2010, 01:02 PM

OP, I like the things you say but whenever you put numbers to things, I hate your posts. I was riffling through old posts and I'm pretty sure you predicted 2 or 3 wins last year.

You were off by a lot.

RockStar36
03-26-2010, 01:04 PM
OP, I like the things you say but whenever you put numbers to things, I hate your posts. I was riffling through old posts and I'm pretty sure you predicted 2 or 3 wins last year.

You were off by a lot.

Um, not really.

Shall I remind you that they are picking 9th overall this year?

kernowboy
03-26-2010, 01:07 PM
McNabb has missed about four games in the past three seasons.

That is hardly injury prone.

Since 2005, McNabb has started 63 out of a total of 80 games, which is over 20% of missed starts

That was despite the presence of Thomas and Peters. This isn't going to get better as he gets older.

Buffalogic
03-26-2010, 01:08 PM
And staying bad for a shot at a franchise qb in the top 5 picks isn't a guarantee. If we miss on that early of a first round pick (And we all know Buffalo usually misses on first round picks) especially at qb, then we're garbage for the next ten years.

If we can get McNabb to sign an extension and have him QB for us for 4 seasons then we should do it. We would be stupid not to. How can we turn down a proven QB with the drought we have been on? We can't.

kernowboy
03-26-2010, 01:14 PM
And staying bad for a shot at a franchise qb in the top 5 picks isn't a guarantee. If we miss on that early of a first round pick (And we all know Buffalo usually misses on first round picks) especially at qb, then we're garbage for the next ten years.

If we can get McNabb to sign an extension and have him QB for us for 4 seasons then we should do it. We would be stupid not to. How can we turn down a proven QB with the drought we have been on? We can't.

The thing is WagonCircler everyone thinks next year is deep in legitimate QB talent either seniors like Locker or juniors like Mallett.

It may be the deepest QB draft since 2004.

Considering that teams like the Lions, Bucs, Bears, and probably the Rams, Redskins, and Seahawks won't be looking for QBs, then we could easily be drafting at 10, and have the chance of a legit prospect

RockStar36
03-26-2010, 01:14 PM
Since 2005, McNabb has started 63 out of a total of 80 games, which is over 20% of missed starts

That was despite the presence of Thomas and Peters. This isn't going to get better as he gets older.

Peters has been in Philly for one season and McNabb started 14 of 16 games. You can stop throwing Peters name into the since 2005 argument now.

kernowboy
03-26-2010, 01:17 PM
Peters has been in Philly for one season and McNabb started 14 of 16 games. You can stop throwing Peters name into the since 2005 argument now.

and Thomas was there in 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008. Despite their excellent OL, McNabb complete one season in 2008.

He missed 7 games in 2005, 6 games in 2006 and 2 games in 2007

Unless of course you think Tra Thomas was a useless LT

Ron Burgundy
03-26-2010, 01:18 PM
Dissection time!

Yeah, he played in 14 games last year, 16 in 2008, and 14 in 2007. Totally unreliable. And his numbers over the last three years were AWFUL. Check these averages out:

60.7 completion percentage
Just under 3,600 yards per year
Over 21 touchdowns per year
Around 9 interceptions per year
A quarterback rating that hovers around 90

:puke: You gotta be kidding me. We already have Brian Brohm on the roster...why the **** would we want a player who puts up those kind of numbers? He's OLD.

If only we had some way of adding offensive linemen and wide receivers in April. We should petition the NFL to allow us to select players from the college ranks to fill needs on our squad. Revolutionary, I know...but I think it would help the game. Next time I write Goodell about my ideas for "referees" and "helmets," I'll add it to the letter.

He'll have plenty of blame to spread around if we aren't any good, that's for sure. If we trade for him after the next three 2-14 seasons that we'll need to overhaul this roster, then he shouldn't have any complaints.

The numbers do not bear this out. 2009 was his finest statistical season since 2004 and one of his best ever. He is certainly not without flaws, but he is definitely not ****ting the bed the way Bledsoe did late in his career.

And Bledsoe was never the quarterback that Donovan is, even in his prime.

And I'd rather finish 5-11, missing the playoffs and continue to restock the roster through Day1 and Day2 of the draft by picking at No6-No8 maybe getting a franchise QB, than finish 9-7 like Houston, Pittsburgh and Atlanta and be picking at 18-20 in each round. We might be just over .500 but we're not really winning.

You can't be serious. Pittsburgh is only two years removed from a Super Bowl victory. Hell, even Atlanta made the playoffs year before last!

We've been finishing under .500 every year, and our top 10 draft picks have really put us over the hump so far. The Bucs and Chiefs and Lions and Browns have had extremely high picks for years, and I've certainly seen a lot of success out of those franchises.

You don't need high draft picks to enjoy continued success...you just need to draft well. Something that Buffalo has definitely not done.

Give me some WINS, for god's sake. We don't need to go from 6-10 to 2-14 to 3-13 to 10-6 to Super Bowl. The jump can be made from midrange.

You think a losing attitude doesn't pervade a ****ing franchise? Just look at the Browns and the Lions. Or the Bills, for that matter.

Oh, a hockey reference. Totally applicable in football. It must be some kind of ******* miracle that the Colts and Patriots...and Eagles, for that matter, and who is their quarterback?...are so good every year.

In conclusion, I award you no points, and may god have mercy on your soul.

Buffalogic
03-26-2010, 01:26 PM
McNabb has never thrown more than 13 int's in any season. McNabb has never thrown more int's than td's in a single season. Besides his rookie season, even with injury problems midway through his career, he has never thrown for less than 16 touchdowns.

This is someone you don't want??

RockStar36
03-26-2010, 01:26 PM

The Penguins won a draft lottery in order to get Crosby.

The Bills have been drafting high for how many years in a row? What makes you think this plan will all of a sudden start working?

After a decade of losing, I'd like to see my football team start winning.

RockStar36
03-26-2010, 01:28 PM
and Thomas was there in 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008. Despite their excellent OL, McNabb complete one season in 2008.

He missed 7 games in 2005, 6 games in 2006 and 2 games in 2007

Unless of course you think Tra Thomas was a useless LT

Point is, he has missed four games in the past three seasons. That is hardly injury prone. Sure, keep going back further and further and you will find seasons where he got injured. Was that because of the LT?

I can't believe I'm arguing with someone who wants this team to continue sucking so they can have a higher pick NEXT April.

Unbelievable.

kernowboy
03-26-2010, 01:31 PM
And exactly where did the Colts pick Peyton Mannig (No1), and Edgerrin James (No4)

Where did the Pats pick Richard Seymour (No6)

Where did the Eagles orginially pick McNabb (No2) and Ta Thomas (No11)

We have wasted picks but as we have a good old canny evaluator of talent and McNabb won't get us the huge number of wins that some think because he is not surrounded by the talent he has in Philadelphia, it makes sense to think we'll draft better.

Even the Saints were drafting at No2 and No7 within the last four years and look how well they've done.

RockStar36
03-26-2010, 01:46 PM
And exactly where did the Colts pick Peyton Mannig (No1), and Edgerrin James (No4)

Where did the Pats pick Richard Seymour (No6)

Where did the Eagles orginially pick McNabb (No2) and Ta Thomas (No11)

We have wasted picks but as we have a good old canny evaluator of talent and McNabb won't get us the huge number of wins that some think because he is not surrounded by the talent he has in Philadelphia, it makes sense to think we'll draft better.

Even the Saints were drafting at No2 and No7 within the last four years and look how well they've done.

You can't assume that because they have a new GM that they will just be better at drafting.

McNabb would be an immediate upgrade at the most important position. Period.

Tourettes Guy
03-26-2010, 01:49 PM
Um, not really.

Shall I remind you that they are picking 9th overall this year?

So, if someone predicts 3 and the team wins 6 you consider that close?

I consider that the team winning DOUBLE what the predictor predicted.

The realistic prediction last year was 6 or 7 wins. And 6 was right.

I also don't really see how they've gotten any worse. I think our coaching staff was the league's worst last year, and I feel it has improved.

RockStar36
03-26-2010, 02:00 PM
So, if someone predicts 3 and the team wins 6 you consider that close?

I consider that the team winning DOUBLE what the predictor predicted.

The realistic prediction last year was 6 or 7 wins. And 6 was right.

I also don't really see how they've gotten any worse. I think our coaching staff was the league's worst last year, and I feel it has improved.

It's close because winning three games means a ****ty season and they still had a ****ty season.

I predicted 5-11 before the season and just because they exceeded those expectations doesn't mean they were even remotely successful last season.

They might not have gotten worse this offseason, but other teams might have gotten better. That usually factors in for something.