PDA

View Full Version : A 3-4 OLB option??

DraftBoy
03-26-2010, 11:24 AM
ESPN Insider is reporting that Chicago will soon release DE Alex Brown, he is a sack guy, who is 6'3, 260. He has the right size and speed to play the OLB spot. He has 43.5 sacks over his career and will be 31 starting next season. I think he'd be a good option for us to pick up.

Thoughts?

justasportsfan
03-26-2010, 11:25 AM
goodbye Kawika Mitchell

Nighthawk
03-26-2010, 11:27 AM
He's be a solid addition and would bring some pass rush from that spot.

methos4ever
03-26-2010, 11:35 AM
goodbye Kawika Mitchell
I think that it wouldn't hurt to try and convert him. I don't see how having Brown would make Mitchell expendable. We just got depth and a position and we'd just throw it away?

justasportsfan
03-26-2010, 11:41 AM
I think that it wouldn't hurt to try and convert him. I don't see how having Brown would make Mitchell expendable. We just got depth and a position and we'd just throw it away?
I don't see Mitchell being part of this team down the road.but you have a point.

djjimkelly
03-26-2010, 11:43 AM
guys we are very set at OLB even though most dont think so.

no ty alex brown.

DraftBoy
03-26-2010, 11:45 AM

no ty alex brown.

Because Im curious how do you figure?

The Spaz
03-26-2010, 11:49 AM
Because Im curious how do you figure?

I agree. Yeah we have bodies at OLB but they are just that. We need real 3-4 LB's.

kernowboy
03-26-2010, 11:49 AM
No

I think that its difficult to convert to a new position at his age.

He's never really been that productive compared to someone like Schobel despite the criticism he gets.

I think we'd be better off drafting and letting a rookie loose at OLB

djjimkelly
03-26-2010, 11:53 AM
I agree. Yeah we have bodies at OLB but they are just that. We need real 3-4 LB's.

i was just about to write something like that

maybin pencil him in at OLB he is a lock IMO to be a starter.

i don't think we have our other OLB that is the answer for the next few years on this roster. however we have 2-4 other DE to OLB projects on the roster.

i do think the bills will try and find another OLB soon i just dont see it as a priority this season while they figure out what is salvageable from the old roster

DraftBoy
03-26-2010, 11:56 AM
No

I think that its difficult to convert to a new position at his age.

He's never really been that productive compared to someone like Schobel despite the criticism he gets.

I think we'd be better off drafting and letting a rookie loose at OLB

We are trying to move guys like Maybin, Kelsay, and Schoble to a new position and many of the top OLB prospects would be playing there for the first time as well. Sapp, Hughes, Graham, Kindle were all DE's not OLB in college.

They have almost the exact same numbers average wise;

Brown-46.6 tackles, 5.4 sacks, 1.75 FF
Schobel-48.3 tackles, 7.8 sacks, 1.9 FF

And Brown has far fewer starts as he lost his starting job in 2007 just to gain it back in 2008.

YardRat
03-26-2010, 12:07 PM
I think if we pick up another OLB, it's going to be someone who is/has actually played the position and not another DE switcheroo.

kernowboy
03-26-2010, 12:12 PM
Schobel has played in 133 games starting 128 games, with 483 tackles and 78 sacks over 9 seasons

Brown has played in 127 games starting 107 games with 372 tackles and 43.5 sacks over 8 seasons

Schobel averages 8.67 sacks a season, Brown 5.4 sacks a season
Schobel averages 53 tackles a season, Brown 46 tackles a season

Brown may not have started much in 2007 but Schobel missed most of 2008 with injury.

And Brown had the luxury of starting alongside Tommie Harris drawing double teams for most of his career but had more than 7 sacks in a season.

Schobel has exceeded this total in 6 of the 9 seasons he has played and doubled this total in 2006 when he had the joys of Williams and Triplett drawing double teams (sarcasm)

Mahdi
03-26-2010, 12:18 PM
ESPN Insider is reporting that Chicago will soon release DE Alex Brown, he is a sack guy, who is 6'3, 260. He has the right size and speed to play the OLB spot. He has 43.5 sacks over his career and will be 31 starting next season. I think he'd be a good option for us to pick up.

Thoughts?
I think he is a guy they would explore after the draft if they feel they didn't address the position adequately.

FA is pretty much frozen till after the draft anyways.

Mahdi
03-26-2010, 12:19 PM
goodbye Kawika Mitchell
Mitchell is either a starter or depth at ILB. Bringing in an OLB should not change Mitchell's status on the team.

EDS
03-26-2010, 12:21 PM
Schobel has played in 133 games starting 128 games, with 483 tackles and 78 sacks over 9 seasons

Brown has played in 127 games starting 107 games with 372 tackles and 43.5 sacks over 8 seasons

Brown may not have started much in 2007 but Schobel missed most of 2008 with injury.

And Brown had the luxury of starting alongside Tommie Harris drawing double teams for most of his career but had more than 7 sacks in a season.

Schobel has exceeded this total in 6 of the 9 seasons he has played and doubled this total in 2006 when he had the joys of Williams and Triplett drawing double teams (sarcasm)

If you listened to most Bills fans, every other teams trash is considered a treasure and the few decent players the Bills actually have are trash.

That being said, Schobel is still a question mark in the new defense both because he may retire and because he has to switch positions. Chances are he will still be the best the Bills have at rushing the passer, unless the light goes on for Maybin (whom I still have hope for).

Mahdi
03-26-2010, 12:31 PM

Schobel gets his sacks, but throughout the course of a game, which is generally 60-70 plays, he disappears, no QB pressures, hurries or knockdowns.

He is easily phased out of a game. Hard worker but not a pass rusher.

They are called pass rushers for a reason, because they rush the QBs decision, if they were called pass sackers Schobel would be top 5.

JCBills
03-26-2010, 12:52 PM

no ty alex brown.

LOL

Not even close. We have one.

Tourettes Guy
03-26-2010, 12:52 PM
A. Why would we trade for a 4-3 DE?

B. Why would he want to switch to a 3-4 at 31?

C. How is he any different than Schobel?

Tourettes Guy
03-26-2010, 12:53 PM
Schobel gets his sacks, but throughout the course of a game, which is generally 60-70 plays, he disappears, no QB pressures, hurries or knockdowns.

He is easily phased out of a game. Hard worker but not a pass rusher.

They are called pass rushers for a reason, because they rush the QBs decision, if they were called pass sackers Schobel would be top 5.

That is one of the stupidest statements I've read in a long time. Thanks:zonelunch

Tourettes Guy
03-26-2010, 12:56 PM
Aaron Schobel - 128 game starts, 78 sacks

Alex Brown - 107 game starts, 43 sacks

LMFAO

Mahdi
03-26-2010, 01:12 PM
That is one of the stupidest statements I've read in a long time. Thanks:zonelunch
Yeah that's an intelligent counter-argument right there.

Bert102176
03-26-2010, 01:38 PM
if he would bring QB pressure why would the Billsgo for him they don't understand what that means to pressure the QB

Tourettes Guy
03-26-2010, 01:51 PM
Yeah that's an intelligent counter-argument right there.

You pretty much said Alex Brown was better because he gets less sacks. It was completely assinine.

Schobel is way better than Brown. Neither has experience in a 3-4, so it's not even worth debating.

Bottom line, Alex Brown isn't an option for us. We sure as hell won't trade for him.

And if he has any say in the matter, he'd clearly prefer a 4-3 team.

Mahdi
03-26-2010, 01:52 PM
You pretty much said Alex Brown was better because he gets less sacks. It was completely assinine.

Schobel is way better than Brown. Neither has experience in a 3-4, so it's not even worth debating.

Bottom line, Alex Brown isn't an option for us. We sure as hell won't trade for him.

And if he has any say in the matter, he'd clearly prefer a 4-3 team.
Read my post... did I mention Alex Brown at all?

I was responding to the post about Schobel's stats.

I also never said anything about Brown or anyone else being better because they get LESS SACKS.... I said real pass rushers get more HURRIES, PRESSURES and KNOCK DOWNS.