PDA

View Full Version : Bills $40 million under last year's actual cap

patmoran2006
03-26-2010, 12:37 PM
According to Mark Gaughan of the Buffalo News today.

HHURRICANE
03-26-2010, 12:58 PM
Absolutely no reason to jettison the o-line last year. We could have brought players in behind these guys and then replaced them as we went along.

You can hate Jason Peters all you want but he was the best player on the team and he proved it in Philly.

Buffalogic
03-26-2010, 01:01 PM
Jason Peters was average to bad last year in Philly. Mostly bad. So no, the only thing he proved in Philly last year was that we got more value for him than he was worth.

Yasgur's Farm
03-26-2010, 01:05 PM
$10M coming from rookie contracts... Maybe another $10M or so if we actually do get McNabb.

patmoran2006
03-26-2010, 01:06 PM
The salaries they spent thus far in Davis, Edwards and Green are less than the salaries they got off the books in Owens, Reed and Denney.

They also had some dead cap money from last year (Dockery, Walker) come off the books after this past season.

They may also get a heck of a lot more off the books if Schobel ends up retiring, which a lot of people think he will.

Not criticizing the organization for being cheap.. Just elaborating on why they are where their at right now.

But I will say this. When they couldnt reach a CBA and it became apparent there would be no cap, this is something that a lot of the people in the league were worried about. While teams (Chicago, Washington) can spend infinite amount of dollars, on the opposite end teams like Buffalo no longer have a salary minimum they have to spend either, and it seems like Buffalo and I'm sure a few other teams will take advantage of this.

methos4ever
03-26-2010, 01:17 PM
One thing about Wash and Chi town though Pat. Washington can't get out from under their bigger contracts because Cerrato made them guaranteed bonuses. Otherwise, DeAngelo Hall and perhaps Portis would hit the road, as they account for darn near 21 million dollars this year.

Chicago can get out of the Peppers deal next year (with a 20+ million sayonara for one year's service to Julius) and remember, they paid most of their money to Cutler's deal and getting rid of their draft pick, which would have been yet more beaucoup bucks.

And I agree, with the CBA being dissolved a ton of teams will look to go under the previous cap and save cash. Heck, that's half the reason the guys in Carolina got cut. Thank you for illustrating that it is a league wide phenomena and not just the Bills. Kudos.

Don't Panic
03-26-2010, 01:21 PM
$40 million and getting worse... wow. I don't even want to think about how good this team would be if we simply drafted well and spent near the cap. It's actually amazing that we've averaged almost 7 wins a year for the last four years...

Raptor
03-26-2010, 01:25 PM
Jason Peters was average to bad last year in Philly. Mostly bad. So no, the only thing he proved in Philly last year was that we got more value for him than he was worth.

Really? I suggest you drop by a Philly board and look around because the general feeling is they stole a ProBowl LT from us

He was far from bad last year, good most of the year, above avg in some games, and excellent in others

Ebenezer
03-26-2010, 01:33 PM
low internal cap = lower or no debt = more savings for new owners = more attractive to be purchased for $1B.

it's called autopilot folks.

we are
03-26-2010, 01:58 PM
Really? I suggest you drop by a Philly board and look around because the general feeling is they stole a ProBowl LT from us

He was far from bad last year, good most of the year, above avg in some games, and excellent in others

lol thats not true at all...did you watch any Eagles games this year?

Ebenezer
03-26-2010, 02:01 PM
lol thats not true at all...did you watch any Eagles games this year?
yeah, i did...overall, he was just slightly above average. worth more than the Bills were going to pay? yes. worth what the eagles paid? no.

trapezeus
03-26-2010, 02:29 PM
i'm not worried about the cap spending or the salaries. they had bigger budgets in 2006-2001-2003, etc. and those team sucked just as bad.

The problem isn't what they are spending, because they are either going to overspend in free agency (dockery, mitchell, owens) or they can get young talent in through the draft and have 3-5 years to get the most out of them.

I don't believe spending money alone is the answer. The team needs to nail drafts. and when they get close to fielding a mediocre to decent team, then they can add specific role players at the peak of their game with acquisitions.

patmoran2006
03-26-2010, 02:33 PM
i'm not worried about the cap spending or the salaries. they had bigger budgets in 2006-2001-2003, etc. and those team sucked just as bad.

The problem isn't what they are spending, because they are either going to overspend in free agency (dockery, mitchell, owens) or they can get young talent in through the draft and have 3-5 years to get the most out of them.

I don't believe spending money alone is the answer. The team needs to nail drafts. and when they get close to fielding a mediocre to decent team, then they can add specific role players at the peak of their game with acquisitions.

Agreed.. But when they do hit home runs in the draft (or undrafted) they have to find better ways to keep them (Winfield, Clements, Peters, etc).. Whether its forking out big bucks if they become FA or being proactive and getting them locked up long term.

Otherwise, drafting doesn't matter. We'll only be grooming them for the big pay day they deserve elsewhere.

trapezeus
03-26-2010, 02:36 PM
agreed pat. but of late, we haven't been in the position about worrying of keeping our own. Peters tried to mess with a system that works. I'm sure other NFL teams would back the bills up on that. it was throwing off other players ability to get their contracts taken care of.

He was our best LT, but from 2008 and his year with the eagles, he was not the best LT. I don't think if we got his eagles performance the bills would have been in any better shape than 6-10.

The bills need to find their core and keep them...but they haven't found a workable core for 10 years. I think they know that. i think that's why they've been less interested in keeping people.

I'm a homer with faith. i think maybe nix and gailey will make that a priority.

Buddo
03-26-2010, 03:28 PM
Thus far, the most refreshing aspect of Nix, is that he actually does what he says he is going to do, in general terms at least. His stated approach is to build through the draft, and retain the good players you have drafted. We obviously need to draft well, but I believe that Nix will do that. Where it comes down the line, is how well he manages to retain players worth keeping.

As to the debate about Peters, I can't say that I'm sorry he was traded, at all. Attitude, and the fact that imho he will never be a truly 'elite' LT, due to lapses that always seem to come when they aren't wanted, mean that I'm less bothered by his trade than many. Where things fell apart, was in the lack of a serious plan to ensure his leaving wasn't going to hurt. Oher should have been the pick over Maybin at the very least, or a viable enough vet FA should have been signed.

bigbub2352
03-26-2010, 03:41 PM
this makes the cornell green signing that much worse
nothing changes at OBD let the overpaid overvalued bums walk then sign someone else's garbage to replace them

this system doesnt work OBD?
really?
Cheap is the way to go to win a superbowl?
really?
man they keep issing on our parade dont they RW is a joke

resign
Corto
Gaddis
Ellison
Schouman
Klopenpoop
Youboty

keep guys like Kelsay, Mcyntire, McCargo, Parrish, Trent Edwards, on the roster when they should be cut like most organizations do when a new staff takes over (oh yeah another cheao HC who will do what he is told was hired my bad and more promotions from within in the FO)
all bums from a 6-10 roster that are usually hurt undersized and some have been cut multiple times by this team already

WOW so much change i cant stand it

trapezeus
03-26-2010, 03:46 PM
bigbub, you think that roster is a 6-10 team?

it's a 2-14 team as it stands now. but the key is this draft and using a coach that doesn't get outcoached constantly.

even with a good draft, i don't expect more than a 5-11 season. but i will see from the performance and heart on the field if this team has changed the culture, is seeking drafted talent to build and provide them with coaches who are not out gameplanned every step of the way.

billz83
03-26-2010, 03:59 PM
40 million under the cap shows how cheap wilson can be! instead of paying and getting the impact players that will make a difference we go out and get green to man our OLINE! pathetic! this owner needs to stop being so cheap and spend the ****** money and sign sum GOOD players.

bigbub2352
03-26-2010, 04:02 PM
bigbub, you think that roster is a 6-10 team?

it's a 2-14 team as it stands now. but the key is this draft and using a coach that doesn't get outcoached constantly.

even with a good draft, i don't expect more than a 5-11 season. but i will see from the performance and heart on the field if this team has changed the culture, is seeking drafted talent to build and provide them with coaches who are not out gameplanned every step of the way.
no i agree they were bums from a 6-10 roster last yr is what i ment

Ebenezer
03-26-2010, 04:11 PM
btw, I am holding today's morning sports page....there is no article discussing the salary cap, buffalo's spending or anything written by Mark Gaughan.

Also, per the CBA all teams must have spent at least $112 million and the cap was $128 million. There is no way they were $40 million under the cap...they may have only spent around $90 million in actual cash but many teams probably spent much less under the cap.

Anybody care to explain the missing article or the minimum salary cap?

JCBills
03-26-2010, 04:12 PM

10 penalties and 6 sacks allowed.

YardRat
03-26-2010, 04:47 PM
Does that figure include any LTBE bonuses for this season?

better days
03-26-2010, 05:34 PM
The Bucs are under $40 Million for their payroll as of now.

Thief
03-26-2010, 08:00 PM
This just in- more talented players demand more money.

clumping platelets
03-26-2010, 10:20 PM
With the expiration of the salary cap also came the change in FA to 6 yrs. The pool of available UFA was VERY shallow. Bills have actually done pretty good this offseason with the additions of Davis, Edwards, and Green

Buddo
03-27-2010, 07:26 AM
btw, I am holding today's morning sports page....there is no article discussing the salary cap, buffalo's spending or anything written by Mark Gaughan.

Also, per the CBA all teams must have spent at least $112 million and the cap was $128 million. There is no way they were $40 million under the cap...they may have only spent around $90 million in actual cash but many teams probably spent much less under the cap.

Anybody care to explain the missing article or the minimum salary cap?

I'd guess it came up in Gaughan's 'live chat', which I believe happened yesterday.
I think you are missing something as well, in that what is being said (afaik) is that the figure relates to currently, not last year, but last year is the only reference point available. i.e. the Bills would be currently at a figure of $40 million under the cap (if there was one) for this year, based on last years number of $128 million.

PromoTheRobot
03-27-2010, 08:57 AM
$40M???HOLY CRAP??? DOES THE SEASON START TOMORROW??? NO??? THEN STFU!!!!

PTR

Ebenezer
03-27-2010, 09:08 AM
I'd guess it came up in Gaughan's 'live chat', which I believe happened yesterday.
I think you are missing something as well, in that what is being said (afaik) is that the figure relates to currently, not last year, but last year is the only reference point available. i.e. the Bills would be currently at a figure of $40 million under the cap (if there was one) for this year, based on last years number of $128 million.

So, the remark was in a chat?? No link was given.

This is all based on last years cap?? Irrelevant.

So, the title is meaningless, the info came from a chat and has no basis on what they are required to spend this year or compared to what other teams are spending.

Terrible thread.

DrGraves
03-27-2010, 11:16 AM
The bills are getting sold. simple as that.

Buddo
03-27-2010, 11:53 AM

So, the title is meaningless, the info came from a chat and has no basis on what they are required to spend this year or compared to what other teams are spending.

Terrible thread.

I don't know where the remark did come from. It is my guess.
Whether or not you think the title is 'meaningless', in its own parameters, it is likely true as a statement. Make of it what you will.
Any reference as to what teams are spending this year, is immediately irrelevant in respect of the fact that they can spend whatever they wish to, or not.
Quite why you feel the need to ***** and moan about something you failed to comprehend properly in the first place, is beyond me.

Buddo
03-27-2010, 11:58 AM
FWIW here's a link to the 'chat'.

http://blogs.buffalonews.com/billboard/2010/03/mark-gaughans-live-chat-2.html

There is something in there about it.

mark1126
03-27-2010, 08:08 PM
if the bills are smart they will not currently over spend, develop their players for a year and when the future cap kicks in other teams that loaded up ($$$) will have to make cuts and weaken their team..from a timing standpoint if the bills are under the future cap number they can add (spend) and get stronger while other teams have to subtract and get weaker..when the subtraction and cutting is going on good players will flood the market..the bills can take advantage at that time

Beebe's Kid
03-28-2010, 01:39 AM

Terrible thread.

Are you this antagonistic all of the time? You should get a puppy.