PDA

View Full Version : aaron maybin talent and potential....

NOT THE DUDE...
03-26-2010, 06:15 PM
i know its preseason but obviously the kid has skills. just give him a full training camp and he can be a 10 sack guy...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZkCkIajPs7c:air: :air: :air:

T-Long
03-26-2010, 06:18 PM
As a big Maybin and PSU fan, I agree. He should be a monster this year as a rush OLB in the 3-4.

jimbohastle51
03-26-2010, 06:23 PM
he will not succeed in the NFL. i have been saying it since before the draft and he was horrible last year. i know people are making the excuse that the position switch will help him but he is still too small to be a rush LB, and honestly he is not that fast. i know his "first step" or "burst" is good but against top Tackles in the NFL he will be thrown around. mccargo, whitner, and maybin all serve the team best as trade bait. and i dont know how anyone is high on maybin sense he only had 1 season, not even a full 1 season that was good. and the ONLY reason he got on the field is cause maurice evans got injured cause maybin was beat out buy evans in camp at penn st.

NOT THE DUDE...
03-26-2010, 06:27 PM
but you cant deny his potential, the dude was only 20 last year... he just turned 21 hes still getting stronger and quicker...

DynaPaul
03-27-2010, 10:31 AM
Still, someone picked that high should be ready for the starting lineup on day 1. Save the "potential" picks for later rounds.

ddaryl
03-27-2010, 10:36 AM
Yes he has potential

but the real argument is the fact that Buffalo had absolutly no business drafting a project at #11 in 2009.. None notta zilcho...

now we have no choice but to hope his "potential" starts to show this year... If it doesn't it will be another huge miss that once again set the franchinse back a couple of years yet again.

but no pressure... right Aaron?

SABURZFAN
03-27-2010, 10:47 AM
Still, someone picked that high should be ready for the starting lineup on day 1. Save the "potential" picks for later rounds.

tell that to the Clausen and Tebow lovers.

better days
03-27-2010, 11:22 AM
tell that to the Clausen and Tebow lovers.

QB is a totally different position than ALL the others. If A College QB has the potential to be a Franchise QB with some development, then he is worth taking a chance on.

SABURZFAN
03-27-2010, 11:33 AM
QB is a totally different position than ALL the others. If A College QB has the potential to be a Franchise QB with some development, then he is worth taking a chance on.

and if he flops, the organization is set back for another half of a decade. i believe we've gone through this numerous times. :rolleyes:

TacklingDummy
03-27-2010, 12:28 PM
and if he flops, the organization is set back for another half of a decade. i believe we've gone through this numerous times. :rolleyes:
And it won't stop until the Bills find a QB that reaches their potential.

djjimkelly
03-27-2010, 12:35 PM

sadly we gonna have to keep doing it till we hit then we will be good for 10 years.

i dont actually care who the qb is next season just let it be someone besides edwards or fitz

SirMcGee
03-27-2010, 12:53 PM
but you cant deny his potential, the dude was only 20 last year... he just turned 21 hes still getting stronger and quicker...

Its not about being stronger and quicker. People on this forum can drool over his body and how many pounds he's gained. It doesn't matter! It's about technique. And if he hasn't learned anything at all by now, i'd be worried.

Novacane
03-27-2010, 12:57 PM
wasted pick

BillsWin
03-27-2010, 12:59 PM
I'll believe it when I see it. I was very disappointed in what I saw from him last year. Not much in the way of technique outside of preseason. He is fast, I'll give him that.

ddaryl
03-27-2010, 01:08 PM
wasted pick

Not quite yet, but knowing we passed up on Orakpo, Oher and Cushing for a guy with potential is maddening :bullseye:

DrGraves
03-27-2010, 01:23 PM
Hopefully he comes into camp bigger and stronger.... switching to the 3-4 and having him come in from a 2 point point stance as opposed to being on the line most of the time could help him tremendously... i definitely think we see lots of improvement from his this year (enough to warrant a top 10 pick? i dont know... but serviceable at the very least? yes.)

Hopefully Hardy comes into camp ready to play in the NFL too.

YardRat
03-27-2010, 01:35 PM
I agree Maybin had no business being the pick last year, but since he was we can only hope he realizes at least some of the potential he might have. I certainly don't expect a lot out of him this season considering the new scheme and switch in position, but if he can be a serviceable starter at OLB and throw in an occasional big play I'll be happy that he's at least moving in the right direction.

SABURZFAN
03-27-2010, 02:04 PM
sadly we gonna have to keep doing it till we hit then we will be good for 10 years.

i dont actually care who the qb is next season just let it be someone besides edwards or fitz

i'm not against looking for that QB. i just don't want them wasting ANOTHER 1st rounder standing on the sidelines. this team needs Day 1 starters.

NOT THE DUDE...
03-27-2010, 02:41 PM
I compare maybin to cameron wake, both played at penn state, both have electric first steps, both are the same size and both seem to be late bloomers...

i think maybin will provide the occasional big play this year and be solid, and then in year 3 he will explode...

SirMcGee
03-27-2010, 05:16 PM
I compare maybin to cameron wake, both played at penn state, both have electric first steps, both are the same size and both seem to be late bloomers...

i think maybin will provide the occasional big play this year and be solid, and then in year 3 he will explode...

You're missing the point. Cameron Wake was undrafted and came from the CFL. Maybin was an early 1st round pick. He was a much more costly investment than Wake was. Wake was a no risk investment. Get it now?

NOT THE DUDE...
03-27-2010, 05:24 PM
You're missing the point. Cameron Wake was undrafted and came from the CFL. Maybin was an early 1st round pick. He was a much more costly investment than Wake was. Wake was a no risk investment. Get it now?

What i get is that if we are patient enough, maybin could become a monster.... give him some time...clearly in this highlight he has the quickness and balance to be a solid edge rusher, add some power through more training and he can add a bull rush... GIVE HIM SOME TIME!

Night Train
03-27-2010, 05:24 PM
Should I wait for the poll or can I answer ?

Night Train
03-27-2010, 05:26 PM
Anyhow.. the 3-4 switch should be a dream come true for Maybin. OLB seems made for him.

NOT THE DUDE...
03-27-2010, 05:28 PM
marcellus wiley as a freshman in college was 210lbs .... when he was drafted on the bills it took him about 3 years to blossom into a starter... in 2000 and 2001 he was a monster and would have done more if it werent for injuries. the point is with pass rushers you have to be patient... aaron maybin has all the talent to be a great edge rusher, he just needs to get stronger and learn better technique... that comes with time. he hasnt even grown into his body yet. mark it down, 4-5 years from now, maybin will be better than orakpo...

SirMcGee
03-27-2010, 06:39 PM
marcellus wiley as a freshman in college was 210lbs .... when he was drafted on the bills it took him about 3 years to blossom into a starter... in 2000 and 2001 he was a monster and would have done more if it werent for injuries. the point is with pass rushers you have to be patient... aaron maybin has all the talent to be a great edge rusher, he just needs to get stronger and learn better technique... that comes with time. he hasnt even grown into his body yet. mark it down, 4-5 years from now, maybin will be better than orakpo...

Again. Size has NOTHING to do with this. We drafted him early in the 1st round hoping that he would make an immediate impact and he didnt. You really don't have to wait for a pass rusher to make an impact like you do a WR and QB. DE's drafted that high should make immediate impact. I don't understand why you keep saying that you have to be patient for pass rushers to make an impact.

Marcellus Wiley was a 2nd round pick dude. Stop comparing somebody drafted in the first 15 to somebody undrafted or drafted in the later rounds. If Maybin was taken in the later rounds, I would cut him some slack, but the fact that we spent an early pick on him and then he btches about his contract pisses me off.

And stop bringing in WEIGHT into this conversation. Jason Taylor in his rookie recorded 5 sacks at least at about the same size. Robert Mathis who weighs about the same as well also recorded at least 3 and a half sacks his rookie year as well. Pass rushing is about technique, quickness, leverage, and until he learns to understand how to be an all around pass rusher who uses good TECHNIQUE, he'll never amount to anything in his career.

Mr. Pink
03-28-2010, 10:40 AM
The rallying cry of the suck ass players on this team...

"WE ALL HAVE POTENTIAL!"

I'm sure Erik Flowers still has potential somewhere too.

NOT THE DUDE...
03-28-2010, 10:49 AM
erik flowers didnt run a 4.5 at 250lbs... on his pro day....

DesertFox24
03-28-2010, 11:45 AM
It takes DL and WRs a lot of time to adjust to the pro game as well.

Its not like Tommy Harris dominated right away.

methos4ever
03-28-2010, 01:15 PM
And for the other guys mentioned, they had at least an effective (in mathis' case dynamic) to help keep the other team behind and in passing situations - and allowing their pass rush talent to shine. Maybin is just a victim of members of a jaded fan base. I think he'll be at least good and hope he will surprise us all with great!

SABURZFAN
03-28-2010, 01:40 PM
What i get is that if we are patient enough, maybin could become a monster.... give him some time...clearly in this highlight he has the quickness and balance to be a solid edge rusher, add some power through more training and he can add a bull rush... GIVE HIM SOME TIME!

what about my time? i have 40+ years in as a fan. what about Jan Reimer's and Mad Bomber's time? they've been around since the beginning. we've gone through some times that were worse record-wise but this last decade has been like a lingering toothache. so screw that. he better be starting somewhere this year.

SirMcGee
03-28-2010, 02:30 PM

You need to learn to read...pass rushers should produce their rookie if they're taken that high. Theres no learning curb for that position. I don't know how much more i have to drill that into your head.

SirMcGee
03-28-2010, 02:32 PM
It takes DL and WRs a lot of time to adjust to the pro game as well.

Its not like Tommy Harris dominated right away.

Tommie Harris logged 3 and a half sacks as a rookie at DT. That's good enough for me. No excuse for a d-lineman to not produce. NONE. Stop making excuses please.

Slim
03-28-2010, 02:52 PM
Tommie Harris logged 3 and a half sacks as a rookie at DT. That's good enough for me. No excuse for a d-lineman to not produce. NONE. Stop making excuses please.

What about playing in the wrong system? He's a 3-4 LB, not his fault we drafted him and expected him to play as a undersized 4-3 DE. Your arguement is ******ed. You're acting as if defensive lineman don't get better as thier careers go on, which is 100% wrong.

TacklingDummy
03-28-2010, 02:57 PM
Being so fast, how many tackles and sacks did Maybin have last year?

Quick, someone sign Usain Bolt.

ZAZusmc03
03-28-2010, 04:36 PM
Tackles and Sacks are hard to come by when you are on the bench for 99% of the plays.

NOT THE DUDE...
03-28-2010, 06:32 PM
You need to learn to read...pass rushers should produce their rookie if they're taken that high. Theres no learning curb for that position. I don't know how much more i have to drill that into your head.

let me take you to school on pass rushers that took a 2-3 years to blossom...

lets see...

chad bratzke
marcellus wiley
osi umenyiora
cameron wake
adewale ogunleye
adalius thomas
calvin pace
james harrison
patrick kerney

maybin hasnt even had a training camp yet....... i guarantee you he will get at least 5 sacks this year, and then explode next year....

if maybin would have had a full training camp he would have been better his rookie year, so your whole premise about not producing as a top pick fails...

NOT THE DUDE...
03-28-2010, 06:34 PM
also a player to look out for in his 4th year is copeland bryan for the lions...

SirMcGee
03-28-2010, 06:50 PM
What about playing in the wrong system? He's a 3-4 LB, not his fault we drafted him and expected him to play as a undersized 4-3 DE. Your arguement is ******ed. You're acting as if defensive lineman don't get better as thier careers go on, which is 100% wrong.

THEN WE SHOULDNT HAVE DRAFTED A 34 OLB TO PLAY A 43 DE THEN SHOULD WE....:nono:

tcb5033
03-28-2010, 06:52 PM
Even if Maybin was an animal since day 1, its not like it would have mattered. He wouldn't have been a savior of the franchise and we still probably wouldn't have made the playoffs since our offense is pathetic. He'll be fine next year in the 3-4, its basically tailor made for a guy of his stature and quickness...hopefully better coaching will help too (but I guess we will see about that).

SirMcGee
03-28-2010, 06:52 PM
let me take you to school on pass rushers that took a 2-3 years to blossom...

lets see...

chad bratzke
marcellus wiley
osi umenyiora
cameron wake
adewale ogunleye
adalius thomas
calvin pace
james harrison
patrick kerney

maybin hasnt even had a training camp yet....... i guarantee you he will get at least 5 sacks this year, and then explode next year....

if maybin would have had a full training camp he would have been better his rookie year, so your whole premise about not producing as a top pick fails...

ARE YOU THAT STUPID? OBVIOUSLY YOU DONT KNOW HOW TO READ. COMPARE MAYBIN TO AN EARLY DRAFT PICK. LIKE I SAID BEFORE YOU ******....IF MAYBIN WAS SELECTD IN ROUNDS 2-6, I'D BE MORE PATIENT WITH HIM. HE WAS AN EARLY 1ST ROUND DRAFT PICK SO HE SHOULDVE PRODUCED. DON'T MAKE UP EXCUSES. GO BACK TO MAKING UR G*Y AZZ POLLS.

EVERY one of those players youve listed were late round picks/undrafted players. Compare Maybin's numbers to somebody drafted in the 1st round and then we'll talk. For christ stakes, Tommie Harris as a ROOKIE DT even got 3 and a half sacks.

SirMcGee
03-28-2010, 06:54 PM
Even if Maybin was an animal since day 1, its not like it would have mattered. He wouldn't have been a savior of the franchise and we still probably wouldn't have made the playoffs since our offense is pathetic. He'll be fine next year in the 3-4, its basically tailor made for a guy of his stature and quickness...hopefully better coaching will help too (but I guess we will see about that).

Nobodys asking him to be the savior but it was a wasted pick. A draft pick taken that high should produce. He barely even saw the field.

NOT THE DUDE...
03-28-2010, 06:54 PM
ARE YOU THAT STUPID? OBVIOUSLY YOU DONT KNOW HOW TO READ. COMPARE MAYBIN TO AN EARLY DRAFT PICK. LIKE I SAID BEFORE YOU ******....IF MAYBIN WAS SELECTD IN ROUNDS 2-6, I'D BE MORE PATIENT WITH HIM. HE WAS AN EARLY 1ST ROUND DRAFT PICK SO HE SHOULDVE PRODUCED. DON'T MAKE UP EXCUSES. GO BACK TO MAKING UR G*Y AZZ POLLS.

failure again, he didnt have a training camp.... post fail!!!!!!!!:negrep:

SirMcGee
03-28-2010, 06:56 PM
Obviously John lacks the intelligence to hold information in that tiny brain of his.....

Originally Posted by JOHN DELLAPELLE

SirMcGee
03-28-2010, 06:58 PM
Marcellus Wiley was a 2nd round pick dude. Stop comparing somebody drafted in the first 15 to somebody undrafted or drafted in the later rounds. If Maybin was taken in the later rounds, I would cut him some slack, but the fact that we spent an early pick on him and then he btches about his contract pisses me off.

AGAIN I WILL REPEAT MYSELF TO DRILL THIS INTO JOHNS HEAD.

jimbohastle51
03-28-2010, 07:15 PM
i just do not understand why everyone uses the word potential with him??? he had a good not great pro day workout (mind you his 40 time was slow). and the only college tape on him is from 3/4's of one season of college football. to be totally honest, we nor scouts really know if he has potential. they just knew that in a draft that was thin at DE (which last years was) that he had a good combine and i am guessing a good private work out to go along with a good pro day. they took a risk and its not looking good. in all fairness he is only 21, some one said yestarday?!? seriously this kid was giving millions and drafted with the 11th pick in the NFL draft, our team shouldnt have taken him there but because they did it was his job to make plays and he didnt, plain and simple. if he is lucky he will muster up 3 or 4 sacks this year and the sad thing is people will think that is a step in the right direction for him instead of just accepting that that is the best you will get out of the guy for his career.

Mr. Pink
03-28-2010, 09:31 PM

To further what Sir McGee said...

You have now compared an early 1st rounder to a CFL player?!?

Seriously?

Are you expectations that low?

Why wasn't Cameron Wake drafted so early?

justasportsfan
03-28-2010, 09:36 PM
he as potential. No doubt. But you don't draft projects with potential where he was drafted.

NOT THE DUDE...
03-28-2010, 09:50 PM
maybin could be demarcus ware this year.... u watch!!!!!

Throne Logic
03-28-2010, 11:38 PM

I was with you until this.

Don't need him to run 40 yards really fast. Need him to run 10 really, really fast.

I hate the 40 times. Useless for anyone aside from WRs expected to go deep all the time and perhaps the DBs expected to stay with them. Even then, routes and solid technique play a huge roll that the 40 times do not account for.

As for Maybin: I'll be content if he becomes a solid contributor. I can't hang the current leadership for the mistakes of the previous group. I expect to see improvement with a full off-season program, OTCs, Training Camp, and a full pre-season. He missed pretty much all of that last year for reasons that are, again, events of the past. Clean slate for me. Let's see what he brings to the table this Summer.