X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JCBills
    • Jan 2010

Signs Pointing Away From OT In The 1st

Buddy Nix's draft history doesn't suggest they'll be looking OT, or OL at all.

1993-2000 - Bills Regional Scout
    2001-2007 - Chargers Assistant GM
    2009 - Bills National Scout

During that span, the teams Nix was scouting / overseeing draft decisions for has taken two OL in the 1st round. Reuben Brown in 1995 and Eric Wood in 2009.

Same with Whaley. He was a major scout for Pittsburgh for 10 years, and the Steelers have only taken one OL in the 1st, Kendall Simmons.

One source I found said Whaley had been with Pittsburgh for 11 years, but most of them said 10. If you look at it from 11, they did take Faneca in the first in 98.

Below is taken from a post on BBMB:

Take a look at the last 5 Super Bowl winning teams... The Saints, Steelers, Giants, Colts and Patriots. Q: What is one thing they all have in common? A: A great QB... Drew Brees, Ben Roethlisberger, Eli Manning, Peyton Manning and Tom Brady.

The other thing they all have in common is that they don't spend 1st Round picks on OL. Take all 25 of the current starting O-Linemen from those 5 teams and only 1 of them was selected in the 1st Round! Only 1 out of 25! The only OL out of the 25 that was taken in the 1st Round was Logan Mankins, and he was taken with the last pick in the 1st Round(32) which is practically a 2nd. Also he was considered a reach by every single analyst in the USA. No one had him rated that high.

Here are the current starting O-Lines for the last 5 Super Bowl Winning Teams:

Saints:
    LT: Jermon Bushrod (4th)
    LG: Carl Nicks (5th)
    C: Jonathan Goodwin (5th)
    RG: Jahri Evans (4th)
    RT: Jon Stinchcomb (2nd)

Steelers:
    LT: Max Starks (3rd)
    LG: Chris Kemoeatu (6th)
    C: Justin Hartwig (6th)
    RG: Trai Essex (3rd)
    RT: Willie Colon (4th)

Giants:
    LT: David Diehl (5th)
    LG: Rich Seubert (Undrafted)
    C: Shaun O'Hara (Undrafted)
    RG: Chris Snee (2nd)
    RT: Kareem McKenzie (3rd)

Colts:
    LT: Charlie Johnson (6th)
    LG: Ryan Lilja (Undrafted)
    C: Jeff Saturday (Undrafted)
    RG: Mike Pollack (2nd)
    RT: Ryan Diem (4th)

Patriots:
    LT: Matt Light (2nd)
    LG: Logan Mankins (1st)
    C: Dan Koppen (5th)
    RG: Stephen Neal (Undrafted)
    RT: Nick Kaczur (3rd)

Add it all up:
    1st Round OL: 1
    2nd Round OL: 4
    3rd Round OL: 4
    4th Round OL: 4
    5th Round OL: 4
    6th Round OL: 3
    7th Round OL: 0
    Undrafted OL: 5

We'll say the Undrafted OL were taken in the 8th Round. Now add it all up, divide that number by 25 and the average OL on the last 5 Super Bowl winning teams was Drafted in the middle of the 4th Round!!! (4.6 to be exact) That's amazing!!!

The only team out of the 5 that I would consider to have a great Line is the Giants. Look at the Giants... The highest they Drafted an OL was the 2nd Round(Chris Snee). They're very similar to the Colts. They both have a QB named Manning & they both have great DEs that can pressure the opposing teams QB. Now look at both Mannings' O-Lines... Neither team has a Tackle Drafted higher than the 3rd Round(3rd, 4th, 5th & 6th), both their RGs were taken in the 2nd Round, and both their Centers and Left Guard went Undrafted.
    Last edited by JCBills; 03-28-2010, 09:21 PM.
  • ServoBillieves
    The Voice of Reason
    • Jul 2007

Re: Signs Pointing Away From OT In The 1st

Let me look up D-Line numbers then I'll get back to ya...
    Bye Bye Brady...

Comment

• Dying_-2-_Live
      • Feb 2009

Excellent post
      What Ive been saying for some time
      "If you ain't first... You're last"

Comment

• YardRat
        Well, lookie here...
        • Dec 2004

Nice research.

Indy and Polian, though, were somewhat vocal around the playoffs about their need to upgrade their o-line if I remember correctly.
        YardRat Wall of Fame
        #56 DARRYL TALLEY
        #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• mark1126
          • Dec 2009

Thats great research and stats, very analytical and informative...thats really useful insight...thanks alot!

Comment

• JCBills
            • Jan 2010

Originally posted by HargroveforMVP
            Oh they weren't shy about looking DL/LB in the 1st, and a good amount of OL between the 2nd and 5th.

Comment

• Goobylal
              • Jan 2004

While interesting, it means nothing. There is a need for LT and if there's value at the spot, they'll take one. Their other need is NT, but that's not a value position at 9, unless someone unexpectedly drops (Suh or McCoy).

Comment

• NOT THE DUDE...
                Hall of Fame Zoner
                • Jan 2010

there going to take graham or morgan...

Comment

• justasportsfan
                  • Jul 2002

Nix IMO will go best player available on their board.
                  sacrifice1
                  https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• JCBills
                    • Jan 2010

The Steelers took Hampton in the 1st, in the 2nd and 3rd, it's been mostly OL and DEs. Since 1999, they have taken 3 OTs in the 3rd and 1 in the 2nd. Also a good amount of OLBs / ILBs / DBs / WRs. We're pretty set on DBs, but WR is still a possibility.

Similar case with the Chargers. Nix has built the lines after the 1st round, with Luis Castillo the only DE taken in the 1st under him.

Comment

• ServoBillieves
                      The Voice of Reason
                      • Jul 2007

Originally posted by JCBills
                      Oh they weren't shy about looking DL/LB in the 1st, and a good amount of OL between the 2nd and 5th.
                      Oh I am in no way shape or form degrading the stats you put, it's true that most SB teams don't have 1st round talent on the line (obviously saying that 1st round talent is overrated).

I'm saying that the trenches are always where the battle is won. I'm in the middle of the research, (again, not trying to prove you wrong), and trying to figure out where the talent really comes from. No one knows how a draft pick will turn out, they only know how they're "supposed" to turn out.

This just sparked my imagination as to where D-Lineman have come from in the draft.
                      Bye Bye Brady...

Comment

• NOT THE DUDE...
                        Hall of Fame Zoner
                        • Jan 2010

we are going to take rodger saffold or ducasse in the 2nd....

Comment

• JCBills
                          • Jan 2010

Oh I am in no way shape or form degrading the stats you put, it's true that most SB teams don't have 1st round talent on the line (obviously saying that 1st round talent is overrated).

I'm saying that the trenches are always where the battle is won. I'm in the middle of the research, (again, not trying to prove you wrong), and trying to figure out where the talent really comes from. No one knows how a draft pick will turn out, they only know how they're "supposed" to turn out.

This just sparked my imagination as to where D-Lineman have come from in the draft.
                          I didn't take it as degradation haha it was more just an addition to what I was saying. The quoted %s and such weren't put together by me, they were taken from BBMB as stated.

I agree the trenches are where the game is won, but both teams have looked for impact players at positions of need over the years in the 1st. Not that much DL in the 1st though. They do like their 1st-2nd round OLBs too. Both have taken QBs in the 1st, but I'm not sure it's the first thing they'll do here. Hopefully we can move back, snag an impact LOLB, and then look OT/NT on day two.

Comment

• SABURZFAN
                            short bus extraordinaire
                            • Jul 2002

that's nice and all but great QB's aren't available in FA pickup. for those of you who think the Bills should take a QB in the 1st round this year, ask yourself this. do any of these QB's appear destine to be a great QB in the NFL?

i didn't think so.
                            Originally posted by yordad
                            Christ, you are the queerest person in the history of Bills fanhood. I swear to god I would stomp you.

Comment

• JCBills
                              • Jan 2010

Originally posted by SABURZFAN
                              that's nice and all but great QB's aren't available in FA pickup. for those of you who think the Bills should take a QB in the 1st round this year, ask yourself this. do any of these QB's appear destine to be a great QB in the NFL?

i didn't think so.
                              Who's talking about QBs? I noted they both have taken QBs in the 1st, that's about it..
                              Last edited by JCBills; 03-28-2010, 09:57 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X