PDA

View Full Version : Urlacher's feet still planted on ground

PA Season Ticket Holder
06-08-2003, 08:25 PM
LAKE FOREST, Ill. - Fame hasn't changed Brian Urlacher, and now that he's agreed to the richest contract in Chicago Bears history, neither will fortune.

Just ask those who know him best.

"He's still dumb, silly and funny; no, he hasn't changed," joked younger brother Casey. "He's still the same. I don't think he'll change."

Urlacher's wife, Laurie, concurs. She knows that her husband is worshipped by fans, respected by teammates and feared by opponents. But even though Brian has been catapulted into a superstar stratosphere, she sees someone whose feet remain planted firmly on the ground.

"A family man who dotes on daughter Pamela, the all-pro middle linebacker is unimpressed and unaffected by the never-ending attention and accolades.

"He's still the same humble, down-to-earth guy and I think that shows through in every aspect of his life and how he handles everything on and off the football field," Laurie said.

"I also feel that that's why the Bears did re-do his deal, why they did show him that respect because he respects everybody else and I think that they just rewarded him back."

The unassuming but intense kid from a tiny New Mexico oil town was rewarded by the Bears earlier this week with a nine-year contract that's believed to be worth $58 million. The deal includes a $13 million signing bonus and an additional $6 million in roster bonuses in the first three years.

The money will at the very least ensure a comfortable life for his children and his children's children. But Urlacher would be no less determined to succeed if he were playing football strictly for pride in a recreational league.

"I think that he would be just as motivated if he was doing this (just) for fun," Laurie said. "He really truly does it for the love of the game. Yes, the cars and the house and the money are a nice bonus. Who would deny that? But he's not doing it for that.

http://www.chicagobears.com/news/index.cfm?cont_id=185015&right_include=/includes/dsp_bearsnews_module.cfm&include=&show_headline=true