PDA

View Full Version : Looking Ahead To Next Year's QB Crop

PECKERWOOD
03-30-2010, 07:46 PM
Who do you guys have your eyes on? I understand that Locker's name is being pushed by the McShay/ESPN hype machine, but outside of the obvious, who else are you guys looking to make a splash? Everybody knows I like Mallett, which is obviously in the early discussion to be the 1st pick overall in 2011, but another QB I like is Greg McElroy. I thought this guy started to come along well towards the end of last year and with another year of solid production, he could see his stock boom.

X-Era
03-30-2010, 07:58 PM
Who do you guys have your eyes on? I understand that Locker's name is being pushed by the McShay/ESPN hype machine, but outside of the obvious, who else are you guys looking to make a splash? Everybody knows I like Mallett, which is obviously in the early discussion to be the 1st pick overall in 2011, but another QB I like is Greg McElroy. I thought this guy started to come along well towards the end of last year and with another year of solid production, he could see his stock boom.

Why do we have to look ahead to next years crop?

PECKERWOOD
03-30-2010, 08:26 PM
Why do we have to look ahead to next years crop?

I think there is a possibility that we skip QB this year, just a feeling that I have. Plus, over the last 2 years or so, I've slowly started to become more of a College football fan more so than an NFL fan. :idunno:

X-Era
03-30-2010, 08:46 PM
I think there is a possibility that we skip QB this year, just a feeling that I have. Plus, over the last 2 years or so, I've slowly started to become more of a College football fan more so than an NFL fan. :idunno:

Significant possibility, I agree.

However, there's a few guys I like in this draft too.

DraftBoy
03-31-2010, 07:22 AM
Ill put it to you this way about next years class...I like 5 guys in small schools (FCS, DII, and DIII) more than I do any QB in this class.

k-oneputt
03-31-2010, 08:00 AM
Ill put it to you this way about next years class...I like 5 guys in small schools (FCS, DII, and DIII) more than I do any QB in this class.

Lets not get carries away. Bradford and Clausen are NFL starters and there are a couple of more who could also get there.

Who exactly are these small school qbs that you like better then Locker and Mallett and this years qb's. I can't wait to see these D-3 guys.

psubills62
03-31-2010, 08:09 AM
Lets not get carries away. Bradford and Clausen are NFL starters and there are a couple of more who could also get there.

Who exactly are these small school qbs that you like better then Locker and Mallett and this years qb's. I can't wait to see these D-3 guys.

He didn't say he liked them better than Locker and Mallett. He said he liked 5 small-school guys better than THIS year's QB class. Locker and Mallett aren't in this year's draft last I checked.

I would like to hear who they are also, as the only small-school QB I know is Pat Devlin.

k-oneputt
03-31-2010, 08:11 AM
Locker and Mallett are NFL starts also. So will be Luck and Barkley when they come out.

Lets see some names. D-3 qb's are in D-3 for a reason.

DraftBoy
03-31-2010, 08:20 AM

You need to learn the difference between liking a guy and thinking he will be better than somebody. I never said they will be better, I said I like them more.

The 5 guys;
Cameron Wiggins
Zac Eskridge
Blake Bolles
Pat Devlin
James Roper

Also I never said they were DIII guys, I was describing what I meant by small school players.

k-oneputt
03-31-2010, 08:31 AM
Who cares if you like them pesronally, can they play and are they better qb's. This isn't Pop Warner. It's all about who the best players are.

So you like these five guys better, but you don't think they will be better. What does that mean ? Like them as what ? Outside of Devlin do any of the others have a chance to start of even play in the NFL ?

DraftBoy
03-31-2010, 08:47 AM
Who cares if you like them pesronally, can they play and are they better qb's. This isn't Pop Warner. It's all about who the best players are.

So you like these five guys better, but you don't think they will be better. What does that mean ? Like them as what ? Outside of Devlin do any of the others have a chance to start of even play in the NFL ?

Again your not understanding what I am saying. Im saying from a talent point of view I like them as prospects. Im not trying to rank anybody right now, but when I do Ill let you know. Thank you though I had forgotten that this wasn't Pop Warner football, I wrote that down in my notes at the heading of my 2011 Prospect File. "Not Pop Warner Football"

Did I say that? No, stop trying to assume what Im saying and just read what I write. I like them as NFL QB Prospects, and yes all 5 with the addition of Cam Sexton and Justin Roper have legit NFL shots. Just because a guy plays in a lower division does not mean he automatically sucks.

The 2011 QB Class is deep, but not just at the FBS level.

k-oneputt
03-31-2010, 09:22 AM
Didn't say they "automatically suck".

You said you like five guys from small schools in next years class more then you do the qb's in this years class. If you them from a talent point of view, are you saying you like them more than Clausen and Bradford ? Legit question.

DraftBoy
03-31-2010, 10:34 AM
Didn't say they "automatically suck".

You said you like five guys from small schools in next years class more then you do the qb's in this years class. If you them from a talent point of view, are you saying you like them more than Clausen and Bradford ? Legit question.

Do I like them more? Yes, but that doesnt mean Id rank them ahead of either one.

You like McCluster alot and are not high on Bryant, but would you rank Dexter ahead of Dez? Of course not.

I dont understand the need for the question, you know the difference between like and rank to begin with so what was needed to clear up?

ZAZusmc03
03-31-2010, 11:52 AM
DB, What do you think about FSU's Christian Ponder?

The sports talk radio in Jacksonville is really high on him. The guys I listen to are big time gators fans, But feel that Ponder has what it takes to be a really good NFL Qb. I haven't watched enough of his games to know much about him.

DraftBoy
03-31-2010, 11:56 AM
DB, What do you think about FSU's Christian Ponder?

The sports talk radio in Jacksonville is really high on him. The guys I listen to are big time gators fans, But feel that Ponder has what it takes to be a really good NFL Qb. I haven't watched enough of his games to know much about him.

Solid arm, good mobility, a leader, and good decision maker.

I want to see him develop his reads a little more, bulk up, and work on his mechanics. He keeps the ball low dropping back and he has a slight windup to his throwing motion.

Overall though right now Id say he's on the outside looking in of the top tier guys, but not far off.

k-oneputt
03-31-2010, 12:41 PM
Do I like them more? Yes, but that doesnt mean Id rank them ahead of either one.

You like McCluster alot and are not high on Bryant, but would you rank Dexter ahead of Dez? Of course not.

I dont understand the need for the question, you know the difference between like and rank to begin with so what was needed to clear up?

Actually I like Bryant as a player, but not for the Bills at #9.
And McCluster and Bryant play different positions so it doesn't really apply. I wouldn't draft McCluster for the Bills before the 4th rd. and I wouldn't take Bryant beofre the 3rd, so if I was drafting neither would be on the Bills because they are both going before that.

DraftBoy
03-31-2010, 01:21 PM
Actually I like Bryant as a player, but not for the Bills at #9.
And McCluster and Bryant play different positions so it doesn't really apply. I wouldn't draft McCluster for the Bills before the 4th rd. and I wouldn't take Bryant beofre the 3rd, so if I was drafting neither would be on the Bills because they are both going before that.
That's a lovely spin job you're doing!

Do you care to comment on the QBs I named that you were so intent on finding out earlier?

k-oneputt
03-31-2010, 01:27 PM
What would you like me to comment about ? you have told me nothing except you like them better than this years qb's. Why I have no idea. I would be surprised if even a couple are on an NFL roster to start the 2011 season.

You a like the Bills past front office/scouting dept. You like to find these obscure players and say how great they are to look smart and 99 % of them are way overrated. Like the bills reaching to draft guys like Whitner and Maybin .

DraftBoy
03-31-2010, 02:53 PM
What would you like me to comment about ? you have told me nothing except you like them better than this years qb's. Why I have no idea. I would be surprised if even a couple are on an NFL roster to start the 2011 season.

You a like the Bills past front office/scouting dept. You like to find these obscure players and say how great they are to look smart and 99 % of them are way overrated. Like the bills reaching to draft guys like Whitner and Maybin .

I was simply asking if you had any thoughts of your own on the QB's?

I do like being criticised though baselessly, my record is pretty clear on my draft philosphy and what you described is not it.

Ingtar33
03-31-2010, 05:15 PM
Right now i like Devlin more then anyone else in the 2011 draft. But that's because i don't like anyone in the 2011 draft.

I really dislike Locker right now... i want to see a good year out of him before i start drinking his coolaid. Best move he could have made was staying in college because right now hes nothing more then a 3rd or 4th round player. He needs to develop a lot.

X-Era
03-31-2010, 05:35 PM
Right now i like Devlin more then anyone else in the 2011 draft. But that's because i don't like anyone in the 2011 draft.

I really dislike Locker right now... i want to see a good year out of him before i start drinking his coolaid. Best move he could have made was staying in college because right now hes nothing more then a 3rd or 4th round player. He needs to develop a lot.

Watch an interview with Mallett and listen to what a punk he sounds like... and then theres the Erin Andrews thingy. A few guys are likely to rise to the top, I could see Locker having a year.

DraftBoy
03-31-2010, 05:41 PM
Locker is still considered a very strong baseball prospect by the LAA, so there is no guarantee he even chooses to play football in the NFL.

Let alone that he is not even close to a starting quality NFL QB right now.

PECKERWOOD
03-31-2010, 11:45 PM
Watch an interview with Mallett and listen to what a punk he sounds like... and then theres the Erin Andrews thingy. A few guys are likely to rise to the top, I could see Locker having a year.

What Erin Andrews thing?

X-Era
04-01-2010, 06:13 AM
What Erin Andrews thing?

"1. Erin Andrews humiliates Arkansas (http://ncaafootball.fanhouse.com/team/arkansas/)'s Ryan Mallett (http://ncaafootball.fanhouse.com/players/ryan-mallett/150781) and then LSU wins in overtime to toss salt in Hog wounds.

ESPN cuts to Andrews as Arkansas takes possession in overtime. Andrews talks about the recent celebration on the Arkansas sideline after the touchdown on fourth-and-9 and says Mallett turned to her and said, "I told you so!"

Then Andrews says, "I don't know why he's telling me that, I haven't talked to him all week.""

methos4ever
04-02-2010, 09:19 AM
I'm a big fan of Johnson out of Texas A&M. Already learning a pro system and a big solid kid.