PDA

View Full Version : ****ing worthless Washington Capitals

OpIv37
03-30-2010, 09:00 PM
They put up 4 on Ottawa and still couldn't win.

**** them.

Myers57
03-31-2010, 12:42 AM
lol

qcsabresfan84
03-31-2010, 04:04 AM
I honestly kind of like Ottawa winning a little bit. I believe it's very unlikely they will catch us in the division, so the higher up they can get in the 4-8 bracket, the better off we are because it makes it less likely we'll have to face them in the second round.

rbochan
03-31-2010, 07:14 AM
I didn't even have to see who the author of this thread was...

Iehoshua
03-31-2010, 07:23 AM
Maybe you've covered this OP, but now that Washington is on top, everyone is all about how big a Caps fan they are in this area. Where I work, got people bragging how many games they've been to, etc. I understand a city should rally behind a winning team, but all these people act as if they've been on the bandwagon for years, and I gently ask where they were a few years ago when buses of Sabres fans were filling Verizon Center.

BuffaloBillsHeart
03-31-2010, 08:02 AM
Caps downfall is their horrendous goaltending. Theodore stinks, Varlamov is highly inconsistent and Neuvirth is way too young and inexperienced.

OpIv37
03-31-2010, 08:23 AM
Maybe you've covered this OP, but now that Washington is on top, everyone is all about how big a Caps fan they are in this area. Where I work, got people bragging how many games they've been to, etc. I understand a city should rally behind a winning team, but all these people act as if they've been on the bandwagon for years, and I gently ask where they were a few years ago when buses of Sabres fans were filling Verizon Center.

It's ****ing ridiculous. There are only a few at work, but I see Caps stuff all over the place now. Not surprisingly, none of it is the old blue jersey with the eagle logo- it's all the red retro jerseys they brought back two years ago. Every team gets more support when they are winning, but DC is just ridiculous. No one cared about hockey until the Caps started doing well and the Redskins and Wizards started sucking at the same time.

I was in that building when they could barely manage 12,000 fans in a 24,000 seat arena. I've heard them get shouted down by Sabres fans in their own building on multiple occasions. It truly is a sorry fan base that doesn't deserve the success.

BlackMetalNinja
03-31-2010, 08:37 AM
It's ****ing ridiculous. There are only a few at work, but I see Caps stuff all over the place now. Not surprisingly, none of it is the old blue jersey with the eagle logo- it's all the red retro jerseys they brought back two years ago. Every team gets more support when they are winning, but DC is just ridiculous. No one cared about hockey until the Caps started doing well and the Redskins and Wizards started sucking at the same time.

I was in that building when they could barely manage 12,000 fans in a 24,000 seat arena. I've heard them get shouted down by Sabres fans in their own building on multiple occasions. It truly is a sorry fan base that doesn't deserve the success.If it's any consolation, the Sabres/Canes game I went to on the 21st had empty seats galore. I moved down to the 100s for the third period and literally had ~40 empty seats around us. So it's cyclical... though the Caps Front Office seems a little more dedicated to winning for now.

OpIv37
03-31-2010, 08:42 AM
If it's any consolation, the Sabres/Canes game I went to on the 21st had empty seats galore. I moved down to the 100s for the third period and literally had ~40 empty seats around us. So it's cyclical... though the Caps Front Office seems a little more dedicated to winning for now.

Yeah, unfortunately the Caps will probably be good for the foreseeable future, which means the bandwagon isn't slowing down. But it's absurd. The Sabres didn't even make the playoffs the last two seasons and still averaged a sellout. Sure, they were selling more merch and getting higher TV ratings when they made the two consecutive deep playoff runs coming out of the lockout, but the fans didn't immediately disappear as soon as things got rough like they do in DC and Carolina.

RockStar36
03-31-2010, 08:48 AM
If it's any consolation, the Sabres/Canes game I went to on the 21st had empty seats galore. I moved down to the 100s for the third period and literally had ~40 empty seats around us. So it's cyclical... though the Caps Front Office seems a little more dedicated to winning for now.

The irony of that is Carolina's GM said publicly they were rebuilding, despite them being in the conference finals the previous season.

He should have been fired the minute he said that.

BlackMetalNinja
03-31-2010, 09:49 AM
The irony of that is Carolina's GM said publicly they were rebuilding, despite them being in the conference finals the previous season.

He should have been fired the minute he said that.I hate the entire SouthEast Division. For years, whoever won it got the 3rd seed, despite being about 7th or 8th in the standings. Now, the Caps dominate and the other team teams still all suck. Meanwhile, our entire division minus Toronto is battling for playoff spots.

G Wolly
03-31-2010, 10:01 AM
Sounds similar to when we came out of nowhere to reach the conference finals in 05-06 and the emergence of the slug the following season after all the bandwagoners who decided to like the Sabres now.

That's my main reason for hating that logo so hard. It represents nothing but bandwagon to me.

SabreEleven
03-31-2010, 10:17 AM

If you can count how many games you have been to, you aren't a fan especially if you live within driving distance from the home arena.

G Wolly
03-31-2010, 10:18 AM
If you can count how many games you have been to, you aren't a fan especially if you live within driving distance from the home arena.

That's not necessarily true.

OpIv37
03-31-2010, 10:27 AM
That's my main reason for hating that logo so hard. It represents nothing but bandwagon to me.

Yeah, because the Sabres led the league in jersey sales that year from bandwagon jumpers. It had nothing to do with true fans wanting their team's most recent logo or anything...

G Wolly
03-31-2010, 10:34 AM
Yeah, because the Sabres led the league in jersey sales that year from bandwagon jumpers. It had nothing to do with true fans wanting their team's most recent logo or anything...

That was a large part of the logo change actually, the business aspect.

Was I the only one who noticed the emergence of teenage girls wearing the slug who didn't know a thing about the game other than how "hot" Pominville is?

OpIv37
03-31-2010, 10:37 AM
That was a large part of the logo change actually, the business aspect.

Was I the only one who noticed the emergence of teenage girls wearing the slug who didn't know a thing about the game other than how "hot" Pominville is?

Got me... I live in Virginia- it's rare to see anyone wearing any Sabres logo.

And logo changes are always done for business reasons.

G Wolly
03-31-2010, 10:40 AM
Got me... I live in Virginia- it's rare to see anyone wearing any Sabres logo.

And logo changes are always done for business reasons.

I didn't think about that. That piece of **** logo is EVERYWHERE and I'm not denying every girl as a fan, but majority of them want to see Pommers, or Roy, or whoever else they think is "hawt" and haven't a clue of the game.

And yes, it always is and they struck at the right time as the team was hot coming off a conference finals appearance with Briere and Drury on the team as the "faces" of the change.

RockStar36
03-31-2010, 11:06 AM
I don't disagree with G Wolly, but there is no way that is 100% true.

I am far from a bandwagon fan and I own a white slug jersey and plenty of slug merchandise. I also own plenty of cross swords merchandise.

G Wolly
03-31-2010, 11:09 AM
I don't disagree with G Wolly, but there is no way that is 100% true.

I am far from a bandwagon fan and I own a white slug jersey and plenty of slug merchandise. I also own plenty of cross swords merchandise.

I didn't say every owner of slug merchandise is a bandwagoner. At least thats not what I intended it to sound like.

I had a Gaustad slug jersey, and bought a pennant as well as a few small items with it.

All I'm saying is that it was a cheap marketing ploy, and the fact that I see the logo on people who don't know the difference between offsides and icing makes me a little upset.

But every team has those kinds of fans.

SabreEleven
03-31-2010, 11:34 AM
I have about 5 shirts and 1 hat with the Slug on it but I paid for none it. All gifts from my mother who still lives in Buffalo. I refuse to spend any of my money on it. Next year is where it is at.

Dr. Lecter
03-31-2010, 11:42 AM
Back to the original topic - Op roots for Washington once this year and they lost.

OpIv37
03-31-2010, 11:47 AM
Back to the original topic - Op roots for Washington once this year and they lost.

yup- the sports curse is alive and well.

When the Caps outlast the Sabres in the playoffs, I'll have to root for them just to make them lose and stick it to all the bandwagon jumpers.

trapezeus
03-31-2010, 11:53 AM
OP, its well documented that you are a sports curse, but can you compete with me?

I was out of the country for the winter olympics. i looked at all the internet feeds online while i was away rooting on Team USA. I was bummed i couldn't see the action. I landed at 7am the morning of the gold medal game. They lost.

Yankees haven't won a world series since i've been in new york. i go to aruba for a week during this year's championship, and wala, they are world champs again. can you compete with that kind of curse?

OpIv37
03-31-2010, 12:04 PM
OP, its well documented that you are a sports curse, but can you compete with me?

I was out of the country for the winter olympics. i looked at all the internet feeds online while i was away rooting on Team USA. I was bummed i couldn't see the action. I landed at 7am the morning of the gold medal game. They lost.

Yankees haven't won a world series since i've been in new york. i go to aruba for a week during this year's championship, and wala, they are world champs again. can you compete with that kind of curse?

well, let's put it this way- I root for the Bills, Sabres, Nationals, and Notre Dame. Of that group, the only team that's ever won a championship is Notre Dame, and their most recent one is 20 years ago. Since the Sabres lost Drury and Briere, none of them have done ANYTHING worth talking about.

I had a good run in the 90's- the Bills SB's, I rooted for the Blue Jays and I was a huge Michael Jordan fan, and I didn't follow hockey as much back then, but there was the Sabres' finals appearance in 1999. But other than the Sabres' 2 cup runs and a couple of BCS losses by ND, I haven't had any sports success to enjoy for the last decade.

Hell, at this point I'd settle for a Bills regular season win over NE or a ND regular season win over USC. At least then I'd have a moment to savor.

BlackMetalNinja
03-31-2010, 12:04 PM

Yankees haven't won a world series since i've been in new york. i go to aruba for a week during this year's championship, and wala, they are world champs again. can you compete with that kind of curse?Do me a favor and never leave NYC again...

chernobylwraiths
03-31-2010, 12:21 PM
Do me a favor and never leave NYC again...

Or move to Boston or Pittsburgh.

RockStar36
03-31-2010, 12:37 PM
Or move to Boston or Pittsburgh.

Preferably Pittsburgh.

rbochan
03-31-2010, 03:15 PM
Whatever you do, don't go to the Caps message board. You'll some godawful **** and people who don't know jack about hockey.

OpIv37
03-31-2010, 03:34 PM
Whatever you do, don't go to the Caps message board. You'll some godawful **** and people who don't know jack about hockey.

tell me about it- I have to live with them.

trapezeus
03-31-2010, 03:40 PM
i can't actually use my curse for good. i can't root for the pats or penguins and hope that i bring the team down. the sports gods have already thought about that loophole.

i'm like on the LOST sports island of hell. I'm essentially jumping through time and totally beat up like Ben Linus during seasons 3 and 4

SkateZilla
03-31-2010, 05:31 PM
where they are now they'd face NJ, and NJ has a 3-1 Series Lead on them,.

Michael82
03-31-2010, 07:57 PM

can you please go to Aruba this October/November again? Thanks! :up:

rbochan
03-31-2010, 09:21 PM
can you please go to Aruba this April/May/June? Thanks! :up:
Fixed.

SabreEleven
03-31-2010, 09:34 PM
Fixed.

and then next January and Early February?

trapezeus
03-31-2010, 10:18 PM
it can't be planned. i'm telling you. don't you think i would if i could? one year, i drafted tom brady as a hopes for him to get hurt. he had that unstoppable year with the first year of moss. it was ridiculous.

you people are stuck with me.

chernobylwraiths
04-01-2010, 11:16 AM
where they are now they'd face NJ, and NJ has a 3-1 Series Lead on them,.

Who?