PDA

View Full Version : Cortez at Fordham pro day

YardRat
03-31-2010, 06:43 AM
http://bal.scout.com/2/958451.html

...a handful of NFL teams reportedly left the Fordham Pro Day with a third-round grade on Skelton, after he showed improved accuracy while showing off his arm's significant power during an impressive workout. According to Brandt, Eagles offensive coordinator Marty Mornhinweg, Bengals quarterbacks coach Ken Zampese, and Bills quarterbacks coach George Cortez were among those on hand to see Skelton at Fordham.

Skelton's immediate NFL status has been described as long-term project. Some believe his ultimate role will be that of career backup, while others believe he eventually will become starting-caliber.

DraftBoy
03-31-2010, 07:32 AM
This may seem less significant to some people because it was only our QB Coach but that actually makes it more important. The position coach is the guy who will give the HC and GM a thumbs up or down on a guy so Cortez being there is a huge deal, imo.

nolimit
03-31-2010, 07:36 AM
This may seem less significant to some people because it was only our QB Coach but that actually makes it more important. The position coach is the guy who will give the HC and GM a thumbs up or down on a guy so Cortez being there is a huge deal, imo.

draftboy, what round do u see skelton going and what r your thoughts on him? Would snead or pike be a better investment? I personally like all 3 qbs.

DraftBoy
03-31-2010, 07:43 AM
draftboy, what round do u see skelton going and what r your thoughts on him? Would snead or pike be a better investment? I personally like all 3 qbs.

I like him as a project but this is still a kid who is going to need 2 years before he is ready to take starter snaps under center.

Great size, arm strength, and demeanor but never was a dominant player and that concerns me given his overall weak level of competition. He never stood way out except due to his physical abilities.

I wouldnt take him above Round 5 personally.

nolimit
03-31-2010, 07:48 AM
I like him as a project but this is still a kid who is going to need 2 years before he is ready to take starter snaps under center.

Great size, arm strength, and demeanor but never was a dominant player and that concerns me given his overall weak level of competition. He never stood way out except due to his physical abilities.

what about snead or pike?

methos4ever
03-31-2010, 07:57 AM
http://bal.scout.com/2/958451.html
Most quarterbacks teams are interested in will have the QB coach at their pro days, to ensure that there's one trusted voice wrt his report. So like DB says it's big, but it's not like we've got his agent on speed dial for picks 9 or 41.

YardRat
03-31-2010, 08:02 AM

That was my impression also.

Ron Burgundy
03-31-2010, 08:18 AM

"I like him, except for that red flag on how he actually played football."

Yeah...not so much.

WeAreArthurMoates
03-31-2010, 08:20 AM
Interesting to that after his pro day, he had a private workout with the Bills.

DraftBoy
03-31-2010, 10:36 AM
"I like him, except for that red flag on how he actually played football."

Yeah...not so much.

Not what I said, I liked the way he played the game, I didn't like that he didnt take it over. He played above average, but not great.

DraftBoy
03-31-2010, 10:38 AM
what about snead or pike?

Snead Rounds 3-4

Pike Rounds 6-7

I really am not a big Tony Pike fan, I like what he did earlier in the season but after watching it again, I missed some big issues with his mechanics, and his physical skills are below par. He looked good due more to Kelly's system than his actual abilities, imo.

psubills62
03-31-2010, 10:45 AM
Like I've said before, I'm intrigued by Cortez. Since we have no shot at Bradford, and I'm not much of a Clausen fan, I'd almost like to see how much Cortez can help develop a late-round prospect.

justasportsfan
03-31-2010, 10:49 AM
Like I've said before, I'm intrigued by Cortez. Since we have no shot at Bradford, and I'm not much of a Clausen fan, I'd almost like to see how much Cortez can help develop a late-round prospect.
Agreed. More importantly, I'd like to see what he can do with Brohm and co.

ZAZusmc03
03-31-2010, 11:15 AM
Agreed. More importantly, I'd like to see what he can do with Brohm and co.

Agreed with you and PSU whole-heartedly.

Ron Burgundy
03-31-2010, 11:46 AM
Not what I said, I liked the way he played the game, I didn't like that he didnt take it over. He played above average, but not great.

Above average but not great ("did not stand out")at a FCS school, yet he projects to play in the NFL?

I'm not buying this Skelton nonsense until the 5th, 6th round, either.

DraftBoy
03-31-2010, 11:53 AM
Above average but not great ("did not stand out")at a FCS school, yet he projects to play in the NFL?

I'm not buying this Skelton nonsense until the 5th, 6th round, either.

He has the physical tools which is why I said not before Round 5. Right now he projects as a developmental pick. Nobody said he should be a starter, and I think using a 3rd on him is a bit ludicrous.

So with that in mind;
http://upnextinsports.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/128995778321725809.jpg

And yes for the record I used the word ludicrous, just so I could post that image.

Ron Burgundy
03-31-2010, 12:06 PM
He has the physical tools which is why I said not before Round 5. Right now he projects as a developmental pick. Nobody said he should be a starter, and I think using a 3rd on him is a bit ludicrous.

So with that in mind;
http://upnextinsports.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/128995778321725809.jpg

And yes for the record I used the word ludicrous, just so I could post that image.

FWIW, I wasn't giving you **** about what you said...that was mostly just confirmation about how I feel about picking Skelton, or any player that doesn't get it done when he's in college (much less a lower tier athletics school). I understand if this is hard to pick out from my posts, as 99% of them are for the purpose of ****ting on someone or something.

Good on ya for the Luda ref.

DraftBoy
03-31-2010, 12:08 PM
FWIW, I wasn't giving you **** about what you said...that was mostly just confirmation about how I feel about picking Skelton, or any player that doesn't get it done when he's in college (much less a lower tier athletics school). I understand if this is hard to pick out from my posts, as 99% of them are for the purpose of ****ting on someone or something.

Good on ya for the Luda ref.

No need to explain yourself to me I get it. We see Skelton in a similar light clearly.

I figured with 99% of your posts being for a ****ting purpose, you would of been quicker to grasp on to my Oakland pick this morning. Long explanation is what I defended (read: made up while sitting on the can posting), short explanation "****s and giggles".

Ron Burgundy
03-31-2010, 12:21 PM
No need to explain yourself to me I get it. We see Skelton in a similar light clearly.

I figured with 99% of your posts being for a ****ting purpose, you would of been quicker to grasp on to my Oakland pick this morning. Long explanation is what I defended (read: made up while sitting on the can posting), short explanation "****s and giggles".

Oh, you were just ignoring your own rules.

patmoran2006
03-31-2010, 03:13 PM
That was back on March 9 (Pro Day) or 10th..

However, Skelton has visited with the Bills at OBD, just before Tebow came to town.

The Bills do have an interest in him.

Ickybaluky
03-31-2010, 03:17 PM
That was back on March 9 (Pro Day) or 10th..

However, Skelton has visited with the Bills at OBD, just before Tebow came to town.

The Bills do have an interest in him.

Adam Caplan of Scout.com reported that visit as well.

Can't hurt getting a guy from Vince Lombardi's Alma mater.

patmoran2006
03-31-2010, 03:19 PM
yeah.. I've heard George Cortez is pretty high on the guy.

I really dont think any QB (other than Clausen) can start from day one this year for them anyway. and I dont want Clausen.

I'd really, really be happy if we got Trent Williams or Bulaga with our first pick, maybe move up a bit to get Mount Cody with our second, and then Skelton with our third.

Like it or not, TRent is very likely the QB for 2010.

WeAreArthurMoates
03-31-2010, 03:33 PM

I really dont think any QB (other than Clausen) can start from day one this year for them anyway. and I dont want Clausen.

I'd really, really be happy if we got Trent Williams or Bulaga with our first pick, maybe move up a bit to get Mount Cody with our second, and then Skelton with our third.

Man Bulaga and Mount Cody would be absolutely dream draft. Cody is my favorite pure NT prospect and would rotate nicely with Kyle. I'd love to snag Skelton or Brown cause I have no problem with Trent starting for a year.

WeAreArthurMoates
03-31-2010, 03:46 PM

Ya but Flacco wasnt this dominant force as well at Deleware. In fact, Skelton threw more TD's his last year compared to Flacco.

jamze132
03-31-2010, 04:09 PM
I think we should do a pre-emptive move and draft Jake Locker this year. I bet Kiper's hair wouldn't see that coming...

DraftBoy
03-31-2010, 04:20 PM
Ya but Flacco wasnt this dominant force as well at Deleware. In fact, Skelton threw more TD's his last year compared to Flacco.

This is true but keep in mind the level of competition. Flacco played in the CAA which is arguably like the SEC of FCS level football. Having produced the last two consecutive national champions (Villanova, and Richmond) and having a team at least represent the conference in 4 of the last 6 FCS National Title games.

Ed
03-31-2010, 04:49 PM

Is it possible that he didn't stand out against weaker competition because he also had weak teammates? I've never seen the guy play except for some youtube highlights and I don't know anything about Fordham football, but with football being such a team oriented sport, it wouldn't surprise me if the level of competition also naturally brought down Skelton's level of play. If you played in a weak scheme or had teammates that executed poorly wouldn't that limit your ability as a qb to dominate a game? Like I said, I don't know anything about Fordham football, but Skelton definitely seems like an intriguing prospect.

Did Skelton play in any of the post-season games like the senior bowl?

DraftBoy
03-31-2010, 05:39 PM
Is it possible that he didn't stand out against weaker competition because he also had weak teammates? I've never seen the guy play except for some youtube highlights and I don't know anything about Fordham football, but with football being such a team oriented sport, it wouldn't surprise me if the level of competition also naturally brought down Skelton's level of play. If you played in a weak scheme or had teammates that executed poorly wouldn't that limit your ability as a qb to dominate a game? Like I said, I don't know anything about Fordham football, but Skelton definitely seems like an intriguing prospect.

Did Skelton play in any of the post-season games like the senior bowl?

This is certainly a possibility and Im sure had a role of some sorts with Skelton. However when I evaluate QB's I want to see them raise their teammates level of play to a new level. Through encouragement, will power, and their play.

Fordham is not what would be considered a football powerhouse, they did finish in the top 25 of the FCS in 2008 (21st I believe).

Skelton did get invited to the East-West Shrine Game. He had a far better week of practice than he did an actual game.

He was one of the few QB's to show a willingness to throw the ball down the field and take chances in practice.

WeAreArthurMoates
03-31-2010, 07:20 PM
This is true but keep in mind the level of competition. Flacco played in the CAA which is arguably like the SEC of FCS level football. Having produced the last two consecutive national champions (Villanova, and Richmond) and having a team at least represent the conference in 4 of the last 6 FCS National Title games.

Yes, great point. Believe me Flacco is the better prospect I'm just saying that he didn't light it up as well. I think surrounding talent has something to do with that. I know he's a project but I dont think it's a 3 year thing. The kid is an incredible worker and I love the fact he's been overlooked his whole life.

WeAreArthurMoates
03-31-2010, 07:22 PM
This is certainly a possibility and Im sure had a role of some sorts with Skelton. However when I evaluate QB's I want to see them raise their teammates level of play to a new level. Through encouragement, will power, and their play.

Fordham is not what would be considered a football powerhouse, they did finish in the top 25 of the FCS in 2008 (21st I believe).

Skelton did get invited to the East-West Shrine Game. He had a far better week of practice than he did an actual game.

He was one of the few QB's to show a willingness to throw the ball down the field and take chances in practice.

Ya I heard his game was kinda shaky but I did hear his practice was great, thanks for reaffering.

Bmax
03-31-2010, 08:49 PM
I like Skelton in Rd 5 ...
Snead in rd 4...

Bmax

justasportsfan
03-31-2010, 08:51 PM
I won't count out Lefevour being drafted by Gailey

The Spaz
03-31-2010, 11:56 PM
I won't count out Lefevour being drafted by Gailey

Kid doesn't have an arm for Buffalo IMO.

TedMock
04-01-2010, 06:46 AM

I agree. I stated this in another thread a while back. Big boy with a rocket arm & decent athleticism. Like you, I'm bothered by him never having taken over a game. When you're the best player on the field - which he was every week - you need to carry your team at times. He never really seemed to do that. I question the internal makeup a bit here. It may be a maturity thing too. Maybe he's just not quite ready to be a true leader. The interviews are probably pretty insightful in that regard. Either way, I also feel he's a 5th...maybe sneaks into the 4th, but I'll stick with round 5 for now. I think Snead is a 5th too, by the way. While I don't completely trust Pike, I do feel he's worthy of a third.

DraftBoy
04-01-2010, 07:25 AM
I agree. I stated this in another thread a while back. Big boy with a rocket arm & decent athleticism. Like you, I'm bothered by him never having taken over a game. When you're the best player on the field - which he was every week - you need to carry your team at times. He never really seemed to do that. I question the internal makeup a bit here. It may be a maturity thing too. Maybe he's just not quite ready to be a true leader. The interviews are probably pretty insightful in that regard. Either way, I also feel he's a 5th...maybe sneaks into the 4th, but I'll stick with round 5 for now. I think Snead is a 5th too, by the way. While I don't completely trust Pike, I do feel he's worthy of a third.

I dont see how Pike is really worth a 3rd Rounder to be perfectly honest. To me he's a classic system QB, average arm, extremely thin, and he was clearly out preformed by Collaros.

He is a player though, who will play hurt, and has some leadership qualities. I question more about his physical abilties than his intangibles. He's somewhat the reverse of John Skelton for me.

TedMock
04-01-2010, 07:47 AM
I dont see how Pike is really worth a 3rd Rounder to be perfectly honest. To me he's a classic system QB, average arm, extremely thin, and he was clearly out preformed by Collaros.

He is a player though, who will play hurt, and has some leadership qualities. I question more about his physical abilties than his intangibles. He's somewhat the reverse of John Skelton for me.

I agree with your assessment of Pike. It looks like you just look at him as more of a 4th-5th rounder. His intangibles are why I think he'll be a 3rd or 4th rounder. He is very thin and you definitely would like to see him put on some weight. He's very tall, but needs some beef. His arm isn't great, but it's not awful, he does have a decent release and good leadership qualities too. He's usually an intelligent QB...usually. I wouldn't be shocked if he went in the 4th or 5th round, but I also wouldn't be shocked if a team like Washington reached for him in the 2nd since they have no 3rd round pick. It is Washington afterall. He is a reverse Skelton. That's a good point.

TedMock
04-01-2010, 08:07 AM

Pat, I'm very high on Trent Williams myself. I would be fine with him in the first, but I disagree with your 2nd and 3rd rounders. I've already stated that I think Skelton is a 5th rounder, but he's all over the place for people, so that's not biggie. Terrence Cody, now here is where I will certainly take some grief. I am not even close to being as high on him as most people. I'm not even sure he cracks my list of top-20 defensive tackles this year. Seriously. It all depends on the defense we run. Obviously we're going with a base 3-4, but what kind of 3-4 is the question. I think like most, I believe we're going with an over/hybrid style, and not with a traditional 3-4. So, I don't necessarily think we go with a true NT because of that. IF we wanted a true NT, I think Jeff Owens is a 2nd rounder and the best true NT coming out. NOT the best overall DT, just the best traditional 2-gap NT. Suh may be the best overall and most versatile, McCoy would fit our particular defense (if I'm guessing what we're running correctly), and they are 1 and 1A in ranking and neither will be there at 9 anyway. So, if we don't go Trent Williams in round one, I would love to trade down and land Brian Price (who I like more than Dan Williams) later in the round and then maybe OT's Saffold, or Charles Brown in round 2. Otherwise, Williams in 1 and DL in round two. Either a big DE like Dunlap or Wootten, or a DT that fits our scheme like D'Anthony Smith or Arthur Jones in round two.