• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Don't Panic
    All-Pro Zoner
    • Dec 2005

The best and worst O-linemen

Bill Barnwell of Football Outsiders evaluates each position along the O-line and picks the best and worst in the league based on unique blocking metrics. Eagles fans (and Bills fans) likely will not be happy.

Seeing that it's Insider, I know a lot of people won't be able to read it. There are two Bills references...

In 2009, the offensive line that allowed the most sacks was also the one that went through the most players. The Buffalo Bills had 11 different players start at least one game up front for them on offense, and those linemen combined for a league-high 28.5 blown blocks leading to sacks. In addition, running back Fred Jackson led all backs with four blown blocks that led to sacks.
    and...

Left Tackle
    Worst: Jason Peters, Philadelphia Eagles (7 sacks/4 hurries/11 total blown blocks)
    Makes a pretty strong case for addressing the O line before anywhere else, even if we did unload an overrated player in Peters.
  • wmoz11
    • Sep 2008

Re: The best and worst O-linemen

I believe Hangartner was deemed the worst center, as well.

Comment

• Don't Panic
      All-Pro Zoner
      • Dec 2005

Originally posted by wmoz11
      I believe Hangartner was deemed the worst center, as well.
      Yep. Forgot that...

Center
      Worst: Geoff Hangartner, Buffalo Bills (5 sacks/1 hurry/6 total blown blocks)
      In his defense, they do attribute it to playing around a lot of different guys throughout the course of the year. Still, it is worth considering.

Comment

• psubills62
        Legendary Zoner
        • Sep 2008

It's at the bottom of the front page, but:

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/insider/news/story?id=5037654 I'll just post some interesting snippets.. In 2009, the offensive line that allowed the most sacks was also the one that went through the most players. The Buffalo Bills (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/clubhouse?team=buf) had 11 different players start at least one
        "Misguided political correctness tethers our intellects."
        - Nicholas Cummings

Comment

• Don't Panic
          All-Pro Zoner
          • Dec 2005

Woops! I looked for the title but missed it... can someone merge?

Comment

• Michael82
            • Jul 2002

Wow! Looks like Peters sure was worth all that money. Maybe now the Peters lovers will STFU!

Comment

Working...
            X