• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • YardRat
    Well, lookie here...
    • Dec 2004

Schobel still undecided

The Bills, who are switching to a 3-4 defense, will be better with Aaron Schobel than without him. But new coach Chan Gailey still doesn't know whether he can count on the former TCU star.
    Schobel, 32, is considering retirement.

"When I talk to him, I can't tell whether he's going to retire, or if he's going to play," Gailey said last week. "I don't really know. We'd like for him to play, and we hope he comes to the minicamps and learns the defense and plays for us, because he's a good football player."

Schobel's family will remain in Columbus, Texas, next season if he plays. He and his wife, June, have three elementary-age children.

"That's a tough call to be honest with you," Gailey said. "I can see his dilemma. I'd love for him to play, but I understand being a husband and a daddy, too."

YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS
  • M
    • Aug 2006

Re: Schobel still undecided

If he still has to consider whether or not to come back, he shouldn't. Just doesn't sound like he'd be in all the way. Just let OBD know now, so they can move on.
    Let's Go Bills ... B B B B B B Bills!

Comment

• mybills
      81 st zoner
      • Jul 2002

I'm not changing my sig until we know.
      I didn't come here to fight, I hate fighting. Life is way too short to spend it on fighting! Go fight with yourself, one of you will eventually win!

Comment

• Forward_Lateral
        • Mar 2004

I don't know if he fits into a 3-4 D. He's too small to be a DE, and I think he's a bit slow to play OLB. I don 't know. Maybe as a 3rd down rush OLB he'd be ok, but in coverage, I'd be worried.

Comment

• Jaybird
          • Dec 2005

I sure hope he makes a decision before the draft.

Comment

• NOT THE DUDE...
            Hall of Fame Zoner
            • Jan 2010

whether he retires or not, the bills will draft a pass rusher in the top of the draft...

Comment

• k-oneputt
              • Jun 2009

Trade him to a Texas team and get whatever pick you can. It will also get his salary off the books.

Comment

• NOT THE DUDE...
                Hall of Fame Zoner
                • Jan 2010

Originally posted by k-oneputt
                Trade him to a Texas team and get whatever pick you can. It will also get his salary off the books.
                didnt schobel say he doesnt want to play for any other team except buffalo?

Comment

• SirMcGee
                  • Feb 2010

Originally posted by JOHN DELLAPELLE
                  whether he retires or not, the bills will draft a pass rusher in the top of the draft...
                  Who...Tim Tebow?
                  DRAFT WISHLIST
                  1) BRYAN BULAGA - OT/IOWA
                  2) JONATHON DWYER - RB/GA TECH
                  3) JASON WORILDS - OLB/ VA. TECH
                  4) TORRELL TROUP - NT/CENTRAL FLORIDA

Comment

• YardRat
                    Well, lookie here...
                    • Dec 2004

The team should just cut ties with him, instead of waiting for his decision. Hate to say it, but especially with a change in system it's time to move on and we don't have the margin of error to put up with Schobel's annual skip-out of voluntary workouts. If he wants to play, he needs to be here. Now.
                    YardRat Wall of Fame
                    #56 DARRYL TALLEY

Comment

• The Spaz
                      • Mar 2003

Agreed. Sorry Schobel but your time has ended. Don't be a Favre and hold your team hostage.

Comment

• psubills62
                        Legendary Zoner
                        • Sep 2008

Originally posted by k-oneputt
                        Why does anyone think we can trade him? We would have no leverage whatsoever, as every team knows he's contemplating retirement.

If he retires it gets his salary off the books too, from what I gather.
                        "Misguided political correctness tethers our intellects."
                        - Nicholas Cummings

Comment

• Mr. Pink
                          Peterman Sucks!
                          • Mar 2006

The team should make the decision for him at this point.

Cut him.

Comment

• EDS
                            • Jan 2003

Originally posted by YardRat
                            The team should just cut ties with him, instead of waiting for his decision. Hate to say it, but especially with a change in system it's time to move on and we don't have the margin of error to put up with Schobel's annual skip-out of voluntary workouts. If he wants to play, he needs to be here. Now.
                            I think the Bills should do everything in their power to get Shobel back next season. He is the only pass rusher the team has, and he has been one of the few best two or three defenders the team has had for the past decade.

It is remarkable that some of the same people that are "pissed" the team did not resign a scrub like Incognito are completely willing to toss a decent player like Schobel to the curb.

Comment

• YardRat
                              Well, lookie here...
                              • Dec 2004

Originally posted by EDS
                              I think the Bills should do everything in their power to get Shobel back next season. He is the only pass rusher the team has, and he has been one of the few best two or three defenders the team has had for the past decade.

It is remarkable that some of the same people that are "pissed" the team did not resign a scrub like Incognito are completely willing to toss a decent player like Schobel to the curb.
                              I'm usually on the 'defending Schobel' end of the spectrum, but we have to face reality...

-He isn't going to be a 3-down DE in a 34.
                              -We don't know if he can play OLB in a 34.
                              -His contract is way too much for a situational pass rusher.
                              -If his heart was into it this season, he'd be more enthused about picking up the responsibilities and schemes. He's already stated he didn't want to come back and 'half-ass it'. Well, skipping out on the first voluntary workouts is already 'half-assing' it.

The guy was a decent player, and I wish him the best for himself and his family, but a real 34 DE or OLB that wants to be here and give 100% is what would be best for the team.
                              YardRat Wall of Fame
                              #56 DARRYL TALLEY

Comment

Working...
                              X