PDA

View Full Version : Schobel still undecided

YardRat
03-31-2010, 08:30 AM
http://www.star-telegram.com/2010/03/27/2071752/maryland-offensive-tackle-bruce.html

The Bills, who are switching to a 3-4 defense, will be better with Aaron Schobel than without him. But new coach Chan Gailey still doesn't know whether he can count on the former TCU star.
Schobel, 32, is considering retirement.

"When I talk to him, I can't tell whether he's going to retire, or if he's going to play," Gailey said last week. "I don't really know. We'd like for him to play, and we hope he comes to the minicamps and learns the defense and plays for us, because he's a good football player."

Schobel's family will remain in Columbus, Texas, next season if he plays. He and his wife, June, have three elementary-age children.

"That's a tough call to be honest with you," Gailey said. "I can see his dilemma. I'd love for him to play, but I understand being a husband and a daddy, too."

M
03-31-2010, 08:39 AM
If he still has to consider whether or not to come back, he shouldn't. Just doesn't sound like he'd be in all the way. Just let OBD know now, so they can move on.

mybills
03-31-2010, 08:40 AM
I'm not changing my sig until we know.

Forward_Lateral
03-31-2010, 09:01 AM
I don't know if he fits into a 3-4 D. He's too small to be a DE, and I think he's a bit slow to play OLB. I don 't know. Maybe as a 3rd down rush OLB he'd be ok, but in coverage, I'd be worried.

Jaybird
03-31-2010, 09:32 AM
I sure hope he makes a decision before the draft.

NOT THE DUDE...
03-31-2010, 09:33 AM
whether he retires or not, the bills will draft a pass rusher in the top of the draft...

k-oneputt
03-31-2010, 09:34 AM
Trade him to a Texas team and get whatever pick you can. It will also get his salary off the books.

NOT THE DUDE...
03-31-2010, 09:38 AM
Trade him to a Texas team and get whatever pick you can. It will also get his salary off the books.

didnt schobel say he doesnt want to play for any other team except buffalo?

SirMcGee
03-31-2010, 09:38 AM
whether he retires or not, the bills will draft a pass rusher in the top of the draft...

Who...Tim Tebow?

YardRat
03-31-2010, 10:03 AM
The team should just cut ties with him, instead of waiting for his decision. Hate to say it, but especially with a change in system it's time to move on and we don't have the margin of error to put up with Schobel's annual skip-out of voluntary workouts. If he wants to play, he needs to be here. Now.

The Spaz
03-31-2010, 10:07 AM
Agreed. Sorry Schobel but your time has ended. Don't be a Favre and hold your team hostage.

psubills62
03-31-2010, 10:13 AM

Why does anyone think we can trade him? We would have no leverage whatsoever, as every team knows he's contemplating retirement.

If he retires it gets his salary off the books too, from what I gather.

Mr. Pink
03-31-2010, 10:58 AM
The team should make the decision for him at this point.

Cut him.

EDS
03-31-2010, 12:19 PM
The team should just cut ties with him, instead of waiting for his decision. Hate to say it, but especially with a change in system it's time to move on and we don't have the margin of error to put up with Schobel's annual skip-out of voluntary workouts. If he wants to play, he needs to be here. Now.

I think the Bills should do everything in their power to get Shobel back next season. He is the only pass rusher the team has, and he has been one of the few best two or three defenders the team has had for the past decade.

It is remarkable that some of the same people that are "pissed" the team did not resign a scrub like Incognito are completely willing to toss a decent player like Schobel to the curb.

YardRat
03-31-2010, 12:38 PM
I think the Bills should do everything in their power to get Shobel back next season. He is the only pass rusher the team has, and he has been one of the few best two or three defenders the team has had for the past decade.

It is remarkable that some of the same people that are "pissed" the team did not resign a scrub like Incognito are completely willing to toss a decent player like Schobel to the curb.

I'm usually on the 'defending Schobel' end of the spectrum, but we have to face reality...

-He isn't going to be a 3-down DE in a 34.
-We don't know if he can play OLB in a 34.
-His contract is way too much for a situational pass rusher.
-If his heart was into it this season, he'd be more enthused about picking up the responsibilities and schemes. He's already stated he didn't want to come back and 'half-ass it'. Well, skipping out on the first voluntary workouts is already 'half-assing' it.

The guy was a decent player, and I wish him the best for himself and his family, but a real 34 DE or OLB that wants to be here and give 100% is what would be best for the team.

JCBills
03-31-2010, 12:42 PM
At this point I just want him to retire. Always like Schobel, but dragging out a decision like this is ugly. Either your heart is in the game or you want to go be a full-time dad. Pick one.

k-oneputt
03-31-2010, 12:46 PM
Why does anyone think we can trade him? We would have no leverage whatsoever, as every team knows he's contemplating retirement.

If he retires it gets his salary off the books too, from what I gather.

The Bills have nothing to lose trying to trade him. Even if you get a 7th rd. pick it's better then nothing. If not cut him. Who knows if he can even play a 3-4 olb. And at his age it won't be an easy transition.

Night Train
03-31-2010, 12:52 PM
If he still has to consider whether or not to come back, he shouldn't. Just doesn't sound like he'd be in all the way. Just let OBD know now, so they can move on.

I've been thinking this all along. He moved his family back to Texas and he obviously doesn't wish to come back up North.

The Bills should see if Dallas or Houston has some interest for a pick and make plans without him.

Don't Panic
03-31-2010, 01:41 PM

Either way we're going to need to look at OLB in the early rounds. If he does come back, it is probably only for a year. We better be ready to plug somebody in opposite Maybin sooner than later.

Buffalogic
03-31-2010, 02:08 PM
The act is annoying but the man can still play and has had his career wasted by incompetence. If he chooses to come back he will play well so I hope he comes back.

EricStratton
03-31-2010, 02:12 PM
it's not like an NFL player can decide to retire at this age then come back in a year or two if he changes his mind.

If he chooses retirement it's the end of a football career that started in Pop Warner when he was 7-8 years old.

I never begrudge a guy for taking as long as it takes to make this choice.

SirMcGee
03-31-2010, 02:53 PM
Regardless if he retires or not, it shouldnt matter. We should be moving ahead as if he's leaving.

tampabay25690
03-31-2010, 09:33 PM
The way I look at it and I don't know if anyone else agrees...

If the guy is undecided we move on and find a player that wants to play for the Buffalo Bills this year. Sorry about your luck Aaron but it's time to get this offseason started........