PDA

View Full Version : Trent Edwards making a bid to win back his job

The Spaz
03-31-2010, 10:27 AM
Is Trent Edwards' reign as a starting quarterback for the Buffalo Bills completely over?

Not in Edwards' opinion.

Edwards expressed confidence that he can regain his old job by impressing the Bills' new coaching staff.

"I've always been a confident player, regardless if someone doesn't want me to play or not," Edwards told the Buffalo News. "If the media doesn't like me, if a coach doesn't like me, I'm still a confident player. That's not going to change anything about me. People can criticize me.

"There's obviously doubters out there. It's my opportunity, my chance right now, to change those into believers. That's my attitude. That's not going to waver, regardless if I'm sitting on the sideline or whether I'm playing."

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Trent-Edwards-making-a-bid-to-win-back-his-job.html

Night Train
03-31-2010, 10:30 AM
Not referring to a 7 yard pass as " the bomb " would drastically improve his chances.

HHURRICANE
03-31-2010, 10:36 AM
I've said it all along but if the three same QBs are on this year's roster than Edwards starts.

He's the best of a sucky bunch.

That doesn't mean I'm a Trent fan at this point but just that it's reality.

G Wolly
03-31-2010, 10:42 AM
I honestly have a shred of hope left in Trent. Maybe Chan knows what it'll take to bring back his gameplay style to pre-concussion.

DJ didn't know how to utilize quarterbacks, what little-skilled QBs we've have under him, but I have a slim hope remaining for Trent.

trapezeus
03-31-2010, 10:52 AM
i think with a mediocre run blocking line, trent's checkdowns are more effective. i think he'll take more chances down field. At least the 2007-08 edwards would.

If the team brings back these 3 as is, Edwards gets one last shot. i don't expect much. but he's the cheapest of the bunch. if brohm hasn't out performed everyone, he's back on the bench, and fitz is a weaker armed version with more guts but less ability. That's a dangerous guy to depend on.

If they bring in someone else, they should start edwards until he gets hurt, buy time for the rook.

The reality of it is that he's too cheap to just let go. and with the inefficiency of our QB's last year and their ability to not finish games, you might just want to keep all three.

better days
03-31-2010, 11:02 AM
I've said it all along but if the three same QBs are on this year's roster than Edwards starts.

He's the best of a sucky bunch.

That doesn't mean I'm a Trent fan at this point but just that it's reality.

No it is not reality, it is up to debate which of the 3 is the best. Trent lost his job after Dick was fired last year to Fitzpatrick. I do not think that was a mistake. Trent does not know how to read a 3-4 defense. If the coaching staff thought Trent was the best they would have named him the starter. He will compete with the other two & it's anybodys job to win.

Michael82
03-31-2010, 11:58 AM
:ill:

ddaryl
03-31-2010, 12:14 PM
I'm interested in seeing what he can do with a real coaching staff

that is if this coaching staff proves to be real....

At least he appears to be embracing the challenge

jamze132
03-31-2010, 04:23 PM
If another QB is brought in, Fitzpatrick needs to get the boot.

Zero
03-31-2010, 04:47 PM
Still cant believe Hamden occupied a roster spot on the 2009 team. He was too underqualified to play QB at a flag football team, much less on an NFL franchise.

NOT THE DUDE...
03-31-2010, 06:21 PM
im guessing that the bills wildcard pick is tebow, but that could be a smokescreen... in reality they could be praying that clausen is there at 9 , if not then they might take a qb in rd 2 or 3...

malvado78
04-02-2010, 11:11 AM
No it is not reality, it is up to debate which of the 3 is the best. Trent lost his job after Dick was fired last year to Fitzpatrick. I do not think that was a mistake. Trent does not know how to read a 3-4 defense. If the coaching staff thought Trent was the best they would have named him the starter. He will compete with the other two & it's anybodys job to win.

Do you really think that with good coaching this cannot be taught?

I have all but given up on Trent. Mostly because his confidence has been crushed and from his press conf last just didn't seem to get it.

But much of his problems can be seen by looking towards the terrible coaching and management this team has had.

Even Jauron admitted last year they didn't really practice against the 3-4.

Trent was set up to fail.
:bullseye:

better days
04-02-2010, 12:48 PM
Do you really think that with good coaching this cannot be taught?

I have all but given up on Trent. Mostly because his confidence has been crushed and from his press conf last just didn't seem to get it.

But much of his problems can be seen by looking towards the terrible coaching and management this team has had.

Even Jauron admitted last year they didn't really practice against the 3-4.

Trent was set up to fail.
:bullseye:

I don't know, Chan may be able to coach Trent up. The point is Trent is not at this point in time Better than Ryan or Brian or he would have been named the starter. The job is open to the three of them as well as whoever else the Bills pick up.

malvado78
04-02-2010, 02:02 PM
I don't know, Chan may be able to coach Trent up. The point is Trent is not at this point in time Better than Ryan or Brian or he would have been named the starter. The job is open to the three of them as well as whoever else the Bills pick up.

With this statement we are in agreement. I was mostly saying that Trent's failure to read a 3-4 is not likely mostly his fault. He is a bright kid.

We certainly agree this team has no acceptable QB.

Fitzgerald is certainly not the answer. There is no upside there unless you are looking for a warm body to put behind a bad line.

I will still root for Brohm and Edwards if that is what we are stuck with.

Typ0
04-02-2010, 02:11 PM
as much as the soap opera freaks love to hate on TE the best thing we can hope for his he is a serious competitor for the job. And to go one further if he shows up with some greatness and gets beat out for the job that's even better.

PECKERWOOD
04-02-2010, 03:06 PM
Adrian Wilson ruined Trent Edwards' career.

ddaryl
04-02-2010, 05:47 PM
Adrian Wilson ruined Trent Edwards' career.

If that is the case then there's a ray of hope, because that can be corrected with some positive play from the team, and that's where the new coaching staff come in.

Our new coaching staff gets this team playing with some heart and pride, produces a fitting gameplan... then Trent might have a chance to get into a rhythm, and from there he can re-grow some confidence....

I admit I saw some good games from him that had me thinking he looked pretty good, but of course it all eroded, and I agree it was after the hit Adrian Wilson layed upon him... Trent has not really been the same... I also couldn't stand to watch him play by mid season last year, and lost patience with him.

but in his defense, last year our OL just sucked bad. No consistency, and the coaching staff was terrible, dropping Walker the week before the opener, changing OC's midstream as well... For enduring that alone he deserves a chance to redeem himself through competition at camp. We could even throw in a couple of WTF? drops from T.O. early last season as well if we want to talk about just how bad last year really was for the team around him. Lynch's suspension didn't help. What about Schouman's injury. He was on fire and he was a favorite hit for Edwards early on. He went down in week 3 I beleive. The wheel's came off quickly last year and the support was obviously minimal, and eroded away.

Edwards will get a deserved shot, and the Bills will be bringing in a QB at some point IMO... There will be a competition and the best QB at the end of camp/preseason starts.