PDA

View Full Version : Learning the center position this offseason can only help versatile offensive lineman

PA Season Ticket Holder
06-08-2003, 08:33 PM
If offensive line is the most anonymous position in the NFL, then is a man thrice as anonymous if he plays all three positions on that line?

A better question: Does it matter? Not to Tampa Bay Buccaneers center/guard/tackle/everyman Dan Goodspeed, who has grown accustomed to anonymity. Versatility, on the other hand, is something that is increasingly working in his favor.

Since his early days in college, Goodspeed has been learning new skills. He began his collegiate career at Walsh University in Ohio and later transferred to Kent State, but was largely unnoticed by college insiders before and just after the switch. His transfer to Kent State didn’t immediately put him on the map, but it did move him closer to an NFL career, as it was there he converted from tight end to the offensive line.

“I was a bigger guy and my size was the main factor in the position switch,” said the 6-6, 300-pounder. “They needed some big bodies and I just wanted to play.”

http://www.buccaneers.com/bucsnet/news/newsdetail.aspx?newsid=3070