PDA

View Full Version : Some late comments on last night's game....

OpIv37
04-01-2010, 07:54 AM
-First, I need to eat a little crow. Two players that I've dissed- Nathan Gerbe and Rafi Torres- both had great games.

-Granted, we haven't played the toughest competition, but this team doesn't seem to miss Vanek at all.

-Ruff should keep the Roy-Stafford-Kennedy line together even after Connolly and Vanek return. I never would have predicted it, but that line is working extremely well.

-I know I'm not the first to say this, but Grier looks extremely slow. He still goes hard every shift, but his speed is completely gone (and he never was the fastest guy on the ice to start with).

-That game was the most dominant I've seen the Sabres look all season, especially in the 2nd period. Florida is just plain BAD. The Sabres spent so much time in Florida's zone in the 3rd that it actually looked odd when Florida actually managed to establish the offensive zone for more than 10 seconds.

-Although Gerbe had an excellent game overall, he did fire one wide when he was wide open in front of the net. He'll fit in well with Vanek and Pominville.

THATHURMANATOR
04-01-2010, 08:07 AM
Not even sure why you would have ever dissed Torres.

What he did last night is exactly the kind of player he is, and has been his entire career.

RockStar36
04-01-2010, 08:14 AM
All of the kids (Kennedy, Gerbe, Ennis) are playing very well. In the case of Ennis (and maybe Gerbe), he should stay for the playoffs if his play continues this way. I have no issues sitting a non-performing veteran for one or two of the kids.

Dr. Lecter
04-01-2010, 08:15 AM
Ennis, although playing well, is still not very good in his own end.

THATHURMANATOR
04-01-2010, 08:15 AM
All of the kids (Kennedy, Gerbe, Ennis) are playing very well. In the case of Ennis (and maybe Gerbe), he should stay for the playoffs if his play continues this way. I have no issues sitting a non-performing veteran for one or two of the kids.
The only one who I would keep up is Ennis, I don't count Kennedy because he is already established in this lineup. Who would you sit for Gerbe? I am already sitting Stafford for Ennis. You need guys like Ellis and Mair to fill out that fourth line and wear down the other team's D.

OpIv37
04-01-2010, 08:24 AM
Not even sure why you would have ever dissed Torres.

What he did last night is exactly the kind of player he is, and has been his entire career.

I'm not really familiar with Torres before he came to Buffalo.

When he first got here, he did some things well, but his passes were always off and his +/- was terrible. I gave him a break at first, figuring some of it was just an adjustment period. The team was on a mini losing streak, then he got injured, and the team won 2 or 3 in a row without him.

That's why I dissed him.

RockStar36
04-01-2010, 08:24 AM
The only one who I would keep up is Ennis, I don't count Kennedy because he is already established in this lineup. Who would you sit for Gerbe? I am already sitting Stafford for Ennis. You need guys like Ellis and Mair to fill out that fourth line and wear down the other team's D.

Stafford for Ennis is who I'm thinking of. Haven't put much thought into Gerbe, although I'm not even sure I would keep him up. Depends if he keeps scoring.

I shouldn't count Kennedy since he is a regular, but Lindy needs to at least keep him with a scoring line. It's made a huge difference.

THATHURMANATOR
04-01-2010, 08:29 AM
I'm not really familiar with Torres before he came to Buffalo.

When he first got here, he did some things well, but his passes were always off and his +/- was terrible. I gave him a break at first, figuring some of it was just an adjustment period. The team was on a mini losing streak, then he got injured, and the team won 2 or 3 in a row without him.

That's why I dissed him.
Fair enough.

SabreEleven
04-01-2010, 10:11 AM
I think Connolly with Vanek would be dangerous. I'd bet they would light it up when they came back and played together.

OpIv37
04-01-2010, 10:29 AM
I think Connolly with Vanek would be dangerous. I'd bet they would light it up when they came back and played together.

Roy-Stafford-Kennedy
Connolly-Vanek- Gerbe or Ennis

Or maybe put Torres on that 2nd line for some size.

Those could be two decent top lines for the playoffs.

trapezeus
04-01-2010, 10:59 AM
gerbe looks like he has potential, but he looks uncomfortable and trying to do too much.

Ennis looks like the more polished of the two.

I'd be for keeping ennis up, i think gerbe still has more work to do. though the grier, guastaud, gerbe line was interesting.

OpIv37
04-01-2010, 11:06 AM
gerbe looks like he has potential, but he looks uncomfortable and trying to do too much.

Ennis looks like the more polished of the two.

I'd be for keeping ennis up, i think gerbe still has more work to do. though the grier, guastaud, gerbe line was interesting.

Speaking of that line, I forgot to mention something. When Gerbe scored, he went over to Gaustad to celebrate. The size difference was incredible- Gerbe barely came up to his shoulder.

Ebenezer
04-01-2010, 11:14 AM
According to the broadcast the other night Ennis is up for the duration - he is one of the four moves they are allowed.

At this point, it would take a collapse to not win the division. They need to rotate some of the guys out of the line-up and get them a rest. With 6 games to go I say Miller should play no more than three.

RockStar36
04-01-2010, 11:15 AM
According to the broadcast the other night Ennis is up for the duration - he is one of the four moves they are allowed.

At this point, it would take a collapse to not win the division. They need to rotate some of the guys out of the line-up and get them a rest. With 6 games to go I say Miller should play no more than three.

Agreed.

Although I'm pretty sure he is playing tonight which goes against everything I believe in.

OpIv37
04-01-2010, 11:20 AM

Get the division then sit him. But let him play at least a period against Ottawa- he needs the practice against those ****s.

Ebenezer
04-01-2010, 11:22 AM
Agreed.

Although I'm pretty sure he is playing tonight which goes against everything I believe in.
That's just rubbing it in against Toronto.

Ebenezer
04-01-2010, 11:23 AM
Get the division then sit him. But let him play at least a period against Ottawa- he needs the practice against those ****s.
Play him the whole game or don't play him. That might work in baseball but I am not a fan of that with hockey goalies.

chernobylwraiths
04-01-2010, 11:23 AM
I think the division is assured, but I still would like the Sabres to finish second for a chance at more home ice.

trapezeus
04-01-2010, 11:27 AM
during the boston game, OP, Gerbe was in front of the sabres net at the end of play and chara was there. that was a hysterical picture. he barely came past Chara's waist. if anyone has a screen shot of that, i'd love to see it. it happened in the 3rd i believe.

Buffalogic
04-01-2010, 12:32 PM
Kennedy has been doing great with Roy I gotta give both of them a lot of credit.

And Raffe is a good asset. He brings toughness something the sabres can't get enough of. He's physical and always around the puck.

Michael82
04-01-2010, 04:33 PM
One thing I will say is...does anyone miss Vanek? Not me!

trapezeus
04-02-2010, 10:48 AM
vanek and connolly, when they get back may be nicely rested, ready to play and inspired instead of beaten down, injured with knicks and bruises. I like that they have time off right now. I just hope they are in hockey shape from the layoff.

rbochan
04-02-2010, 11:03 AM
I just hope Vanek stays away from Tim Hortons.