PDA

View Full Version : The case for trading for Gaither..

Pinkerton Security
04-01-2010, 01:54 PM
One side effect of moving the unrestricted free agent (UFA) bar from four to six years has been the increase in the potential interest around the league for restricted free agent (RFA) trade options and aging UFA veterans. The evidence for this can be found in the daily postings on the Insider Rumor Central section (http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/features/rumors) that detail the plethora of deals and signings of this nature that are being considered around the league.
While many of these potential transactions would be sensible, there are three that the numbers say would be slam-dunk winners.
<offer></offer>
The first of these is Baltimore Ravens (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/clubhouse?team=bal) LT Jared Gaither (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=10705). Gaither has been a starter for the past two seasons, and in that time his metrics have been nothing short of superb. He has allowed only seven total sacks in 27 games and only one of these was a "one-on-one sack" (defined as when a defender beats a blocker in a one-on-one environment and tackles the quarterback in the pocket within three seconds of the snap).
That illustrates Gaither's dominant pass-blocking skills, but his run-blocking numbers are also quite notable. Gaither was at the point of attack (POA) on 300 running plays the past two years, and he won his block 255 times, or 85 percent of the time.
That is a solid number on its own, but his 2009 POA win rate of 89.0 percent is even more noteworthy. To put that total into perspective, consider that in a typical NFL season, fewer than one out of 10 offensive linemen will crack the 90 percent POA win mark. Gaither was on the precipice of that mark last year despite battling injuries.
Put these two factors together and it equals a truly elite blindside blocker. Add to this the question marks surrounding many of the left tackles in this year's draft and it means Gaither is hands down the best choice in the market at his position, especially since acquiring him reportedly will cost only a second-round pick.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/insider/news/story?id=5046443

I would be a huge fan of this..he is a young, athletic tackle who is proven as a dominant tackle...isnt that WELL worth a 2nd rounder, especially if we're planning on getting a tackle in the 2nd or 1st anyways (which I'd hope we are, at least in one of those rounds)? I know it has been discussed but seeing these metrics really proves his value to me.

TrEd FTW
04-01-2010, 02:00 PM
Honestly, if Gaither gets traded for less than a first-rounder (which is the likelihood) and it's not to Buffalo, I am going to be absolutely livid.

Jaybird
04-01-2010, 02:01 PM
I am all for it. This way we have flexibility with the first round pick. It's no secret that we must find a LT. Gaither is a proven NFL player who is still young and could play the position for the next 10 years. To me that is more valuable then drafting a LT, who could always be a bust

Pinkerton Security
04-01-2010, 02:11 PM
Honestly, if Gaither gets traded for less than a first-rounder (which is the likelihood) and it's not to Buffalo, I am going to be absolutely livid.

Idk how exactly this works, can someone fill me in...

so they gave him a 2nd round tender, right? Do we offer them our 2nd rounder, or do we offer him a contract and if he signs it, we give our 2nd? What if another team also offers, who gets the right to sign him first? I guess i never really thought much about how exactly it works?

patmoran2006
04-01-2010, 02:13 PM
Idk how exactly this works, can someone fill me in...

so they gave him a 2nd round tender, right? Do we offer them our 2nd rounder, or do we offer him a contract and if he signs it, we give our 2nd? What if another team also offers, who gets the right to sign him first? I guess i never really thought much about how exactly it works?

They gave him a first round tender.

it's suggested that a team could trade with Baltimore for a second rounder though.

If that's true, it would take me a half second to offer #41 for Gaither.

patmoran2006
04-01-2010, 02:14 PM
To answer your question directly. Without a trade, if someone wanted Gaither they would have to give up their first rounder if Baltimore didnt match the offer.

Obviously for Buffalo, that would be the ninth pick.

Night Train
04-01-2010, 03:33 PM
As I mentioned in another thread, both his college & pro coach said he's talented but has a poor work ethic. This is why the Ravens won't give him the big $$ and it's not just because Oher is on the roster. Why haven't other teams lined up with offers ?

He's looking for his big payday and his work ethic is already being questioned ?

Knock,knock..

jamze132
04-02-2010, 12:27 AM
Lynch for Gaither and we swap 1st rounders.

ddaryl
04-02-2010, 08:45 AM
The Bills could (or If the Bills can) trade back from #9 possibly add a 2nd rounder and some change to their draft day. Still get a solid pick in the 1st rd at a position of need, Use one of our 2nd's for Gaither and still have good ammunition to fill in some gaps...

This would be one of the best draft day scenarios for us IMO....

SirMcGee
04-02-2010, 09:02 AM
The Ravens need a Safety. I'd offer our 2nd and Whitner for Gaither and a mid to late round draft pick (maybe a 5th or 6th).

ddaryl
04-02-2010, 11:36 AM
The Ravens need a Safety. I'd offer our 2nd and Whitner for Gaither and a mid to late round draft pick (maybe a 5th or 6th).

I really don't think it will take that much

the 2nd alone is enough :chat:

SirMcGee
04-02-2010, 01:29 PM
I really don't think it will take that much

the 2nd alone is enough :chat:

I know it wouldnt take much. Whitners garbage anyways.

Buddo
04-02-2010, 05:34 PM
Like with so many of these guys, it isn't about their talent or ability, it's about what they want to do with it.
Without wishing to harp on about this sort of stuff, as it isn't the be all end all, Gaither was bounced from college for academic reasons. Chances are he's dumb as a rock. Giving a guy like that, more money than he can handle, when he already has a questionable work ethic, seems like a recipe for disaster.
Football isn't an intellectual pursuit, especially in the trenches, but to be consistently good, you have to have an unmitigated desire to play the game, and to consequently prepare yourself the best way you can. I think there are serious doubts about Gaither wanting to be that good, which is why the Ravens aren't too concerned about moving him, providing they can get a decent enough pick.

Night Train
04-03-2010, 07:10 PM
Like with so many of these guys, it isn't about their talent or ability, it's about what they want to do with it.
Without wishing to harp on about this sort of stuff, as it isn't the be all end all, Gaither was bounced from college for academic reasons. Chances are he's dumb as a rock. Giving a guy like that, more money than he can handle, when he already has a questionable work ethic, seems like a recipe for disaster.
Football isn't an intellectual pursuit, especially in the trenches, but to be consistently good, you have to have an unmitigated desire to play the game, and to consequently prepare yourself the best way you can. I think there are serious doubts about Gaither wanting to be that good, which is why the Ravens aren't too concerned about moving him, providing they can get a decent enough pick.

Wait. Are we talking about Gaither or Jason Peters ? :whistle:

nateodoms'bff
04-03-2010, 08:40 PM
anyone know what the difference in point value is between trading the 2nd round pick fo Gaither, and swapping firsts and getting an extra 3rd from Baltimore for Gaither?

That seems like a good trade to me.

SirMcGee
04-03-2010, 09:25 PM
anyone know what the difference in point value is between trading the 2nd round pick fo Gaither, and swapping firsts and getting an extra 3rd from Baltimore for Gaither?

That seems like a good trade to me.

That would be borderline robbery and would NEVER happen. To swap first rounds, they'd have to give up A LOT more than that.

Goobylal
04-03-2010, 09:40 PM
I'd look into dealing them Whitner and a 3rd. It's a pretty high 3rd (72nd overall) and Whitner is a decent safety, who has 2 years and $4.4M remaining on his contract.

BillsWin
04-04-2010, 12:11 AM
A Gaither pick up would instill some confidence in me for this front office. Gaither is young, so our phillosophy of building through draft is safe because we wouldn't be bringing in 30 year olds to fill in positions of need. Gaither is also proven, so you won't waste a draft pick on a guy if he busts at that position. It frees up the first pick in the draft for us, so we could potentially move up to three and grab Bradford if he drops, pick Clausen at nine if we like him, pick Dez Bryant at nine if we have him rated that high, or even trade down and get back a second rounder. The options for us in the draft increase exponentially if we could shore up the number one position of need with a sure-talented guy with that second pick.

I would be very happy to have Gaither on my team.

Buddo
04-04-2010, 03:01 AM
Wait. Are we talking about Gaither or Jason Peters ? :whistle:

There are certain similarities. Peters, imho, will never be the elite tackle his ability warrants, because I don't think he's capable of 100% concentration, even when fully fit. I saw too many instances of him getting beat in situations where it was costly in terms of down/distance etc., that were probably more down to that than lack of ability. That simply doesn't happen to the 'elite'.

Buddo
04-04-2010, 03:10 AM
A Gaither pick up would instill some confidence in me for this front office. Gaither is young, so our phillosophy of building through draft is safe because we wouldn't be bringing in 30 year olds to fill in positions of need. Gaither is also proven, so you won't waste a draft pick on a guy if he busts at that position. It frees up the first pick in the draft for us, so we could potentially move up to three and grab Bradford if he drops, pick Clausen at nine if we like him, pick Dez Bryant at nine if we have him rated that high, or even trade down and get back a second rounder. The options for us in the draft increase exponentially if we could shore up the number one position of need with a sure-talented guy with that second pick.

I would be very happy to have Gaither on my team.

Can't knock the theory, but the doubts about commitment and Gaither aren't going away anytime soon. There's also the small matter of what type of deal he will expect for the future. If those could be assuaged, then it sounds a pretty good move to be making.

madness
04-06-2010, 10:10 AM
Why OT Gaither was being offered up (http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2010/04/06/why-ot-gaither-was-being-offered-up/)

By Chris Brown - Posted April 6th, 2010
Baltimore Ravens OT Jared Gaither was tendered at the first-round level, but was reportedly being offered in a trade for less than that. Why a team would trade a 23-year old blind side protector with a lot of talent didn’t make sense… until the truth came out.
The Ravens apparently used the trade talk as a ploy to get him to report to offseason camp (http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/ravens/bal-sp.preston06apr06,0,5878939.column?track=rss&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+baltimoresun/sports/football/rss2+%28+Ravens/Football%29). That according to the Baltimore Sun. While they reportedly will entertain an offer if it is legitimate and provides proper compensation (1st round pick, or 2nd and a 2011 conditional) they achieved what they initially wanted to do, which was get Gaither’s backfield in motion.
At Maryland the knock on Gaither was that he did not have a strong work ethic and that has apparently revealed itself to the Ravens, who do not want loafers on their team no matter how talented. Can’t blame them for that approach at all, especially for a position as important as left tackle.