PDA

View Full Version : Rookies Getting Full Attention

PA Season Ticket Holder
06-08-2003, 08:37 PM
IRVING, Texas - The Cowboys didn't officially cut the mini-camp short, but Friday's practice, nor the Saturday session to follow, did no look anything close the norm at Valley Ranch.

One quarterback, just a handful of receivers and only two defensive linemen?

In all, just 18 players made up Friday's practice, intended for rookies only after Cowboys head coach Bill Parcells excused all the veterans from the remaining two scheduled workouts out here.

That left just a bunch of rookies with no stars on their helmets trying to conduct a practice, with twice as many onlookers littering the sidelines than players on the field.

"It was a small practice out there today," first-round pick Terence Newman said. "But that's OK. You get more work done when there are just a few players. It's more individual work for everyone. And we need it."

And Parcells would tend to agree with Newman on that one, saying the team is not training camp-ready just yet, but not too far off.

"Mentally, I don't think we're training camp ready because they don't know all of the system," Parcells said of his team. "But we're in pretty decent condition. I'm pretty happy with the conditioning of our rookies. I think we might have one or two that might struggle a little bit. Overall, I think we're in good shape from that standpoint."

http://www.dallascowboys.com/news_060603.html