PDA

View Full Version : TSN top 100 players in the NFL

Gunzlingr
09-04-2002, 01:30 PM
Only 1 Bills player cracked the 100, LB London Fletcher:

94. London Fletcher, MLB, Bills (NR).
This tackle machine plays in the box as well as anyone.

Click link for the complete list. The Sporting News top 100 (http://www.sportingnews.com/voices/dan_pompei/20020904.html)

Drewpac
09-04-2002, 03:43 PM
I found it odd that Ruben Brown has made the Pro Bowl 7 straight years but he was not even on the top 100 list. Also, IMO Moulds should be on that list.

casdhf
09-04-2002, 04:22 PM
Next year, we'll have alot more on there :up:

Gunzlingr
09-04-2002, 05:20 PM
I thought it was bit odd that neither Moulds nor Brown made it as well.

The_Philster
09-04-2002, 06:04 PM
Moulds belonged in the top 25. Pompei is smoking something.

HenryRules
09-04-2002, 07:41 PM
I don't know how Hines Ward can make the list and not Moulds. Last year was Moulds worst since '97, but he still had 67 catches for 904 yards and 5 TD's. Ward's best year ever was last year and he didn't put up much better #'s (94-1003-4) and when you considering the differences between the two offenses in running game, OL, and QB play, that isn't really much better at all.
I don't think RB not making the list was a slight. The only 2 guards that made the list are Larry Allen, who is arguably the greatest OL in the history of the game, and Alan Faneca, who started for the AFC last year. How could you bump either for RB? Personally, I would have had Will Shields ahead of Faneca, but that still doesn't leave room for RB.
IMO, and the author seems to agree, the main reason that RB didn't make the list is that guard is one of the least important positions on the team (after punter and kicker - notice neither Vandergajt nor Elam made the team). Like punter and kicker, as long as your gaurds aren't horrible, they don't have a huge impact on the game (unlike other positions like QB or RB, or even the more important C and LT positions on the OL). Teams go far because their OL as a whole is good, not because of the abilities of a single guard. Another way to think of it is this, if you were to start building a team for this season only and had 1st choice of anyone in the NFL, how far down the chart would you place RB? I agree with the author in that there's at least 100 people I'd rather choose before RB.