PDA

View Full Version : Dantzler Learning Safety Procedures

PA Season Ticket Holder
06-08-2003, 08:39 PM
IRVING, Texas - The last time Woody Dantzler tackled someone in a game, he was racing after a University of Virginia linebacker who had just picked off one of his passes.

"I got him pretty good, too," said Dantzler, reflecting back to his quarterbacking days at Clemson during the 2001 season. "I don't know who he was, but I had to go and get him. When you have to tackle, you have to switch to a different mentality."

In college, Dantzler didn't have to make too many tackles. But the Cowboys are sure hoping he can do it now. That's because the former quarterback turned running back has now turned into a full-time safety.

And that after another short attempt at quarterback when the Cowboys had him under center again heading into the first mini-camp before deciding he was better off at another position, even if it was one he hadn't played since middle school.

But all of the moves are just an attempt by the Cowboys to find a way to keep Dantzler, a talented athlete, on the roster.

"I'm trying to figure out what else can he do part-time, to add to his value," said Cowboys head coach Bill Parcells, who admitted Wednesday he is trying to find a way to keep Dantzler on the roster. "He is smart and he is a good athlete. He's a diligent worker and he's willing to attempt anything you ask him to attempt, and he tries to do it with confidence. You like a guy like that and you try to find something for him to do, if you can."

Parcells and the Cowboys aren't sure he can play safety, just as teams weren't sure he had the arm to play quarterback in the NFL or was big enough to play running back.

http://www.dallascowboys.com/news_060503.html