PDA

View Full Version : So, Im pretty convinced

X-Era
04-01-2010, 05:37 PM
That this team is more than serious about Tebow.

I would not be surprised at all to see us either move up into late round 1 for him, draft him in the 2nd, and yes, I could even see us take him at 9.

Do I think hes worth any of those picks? If he can make all the throws, yes... no one would be better IMO. If he cant due to his mechanics, I wouldn't draft him any earlier than the 5th round.

I have never been a fan of drafting this guy with his college mechanics... but if he has it fixed, there is no one Id want more.

Regardless, its not up to me. And, IMO, we had better get used to the idea, because I think its a very real possibility.

Some of us said early on with Tebow, that the debate may become epic, and I think its just about starting to live up to that hype... I think he may be the biggest boom or bust prospect in draft history... But now its taken a very local turn... and it wont stop until he gets drafted by someone else.

Ive been warming up to the idea, if he can keep his new mechanics even when his mind is rattled, I might just convince myself that this is a very good move.

T-Long
04-01-2010, 05:45 PM
I agree that I do think the Bills are extremely interested in him, but I can not comprehend them taking him at 9. If they traded up to late first, then I could see it happening, but never ever ever taking him at 9. I, along with the rest of the world, would be shocked and speechless.

Mr. Pink
04-01-2010, 05:46 PM
Tebow, if drafted in round 1 by anyone, will be the biggest bust in NFL history.

If we draft him, it will make Donahoe look like a genius for drafting JP.

scartown
04-01-2010, 05:48 PM
Drafting Tebow won't be showing the fans the baby as coach has said.

NOT THE DUDE...
04-01-2010, 05:51 PM
whether or not anyone likes tebow is not the point. the point is if the bills do think hes a franchise qb, then why wouldnt they take him at 9?

NOT THE DUDE...
04-01-2010, 05:56 PM
its only an opinion so take it for what its worth... the whole throwing motion of tebow has been blow way out of proportion... he has the strong arm to throw in this weather, anyone that has watched all the highlights knows this kid has above average accuracy.... if you watch the cincy game he makes those throws that require anticipation that trent never does. he has good field vision. he can run the wildcat and run out of it and punish tacklers at 240lbs... he has bust potential but make no mistake , tebow is a great college qb and has the tools to be a good pro qb, its just a matter of guess work with these qbs and im not betting against tebow... not at all...

The Spaz
04-01-2010, 05:59 PM
I agree. I am not thrilled about him being a Bill but if he is I will of course support him. I know all about his leadership ability, character etc. but I still don't know about his arm strength and ability to play QB in the NFL. If we take him I pray he's the answer because if he isn't this is another step backwards.

X-Era
04-01-2010, 06:04 PM
its only an opinion so take it for what its worth... the whole throwing motion of tebow has been blow way out of proportion... he has the strong arm to throw in this weather, anyone that has watched all the highlights knows this kid has above average accuracy.... if you watch the cincy game he makes those throws that require anticipation that trent never does. he has good field vision. he can run the wildcat and run out of it and punish tacklers at 240lbs... he has bust potential but make no mistake , tebow is a great college qb and has the tools to be a good pro qb, its just a matter of guess work with these qbs and im not betting against tebow... not at all...

I don't see that at all. I see a guy who has shown in college game tape that he has a slow as molasses windup, a ball that flutters, a difficulty hitting long throws, and a ball that takes way too long to get to the target.

But, the concept here is that its all fixed now that he has a new throwing motion. And what Im saying is that its not what I think, its what the Bills think about it.

Hes got everything I want in a QB if you pay no attention to how he throws the ball. But then throwing the ball is the major thing that he has to do.

I guess I just am not ready/willing to say he has a good arm based on anything we've seen in college.

NOT THE DUDE...
04-01-2010, 06:16 PM
Just watch the sugar bowl, his arm was above average....

DraftBoy
04-01-2010, 06:22 PM
Mortensen said today when asked on Twitter about Tebow to Buffalo, he said he thinks they 90% interested in Round 2.

I think people saying he will be the pick at 9 is very premature.

SquishDaFish
04-01-2010, 06:28 PM

I think you want to have Tebows baby. And I think I will take the experts opinion on his delivery not being good enough for the NFL unless he gets the hitch fixed over you saying hes a franchise type now.

X-Era
04-01-2010, 06:34 PM
Mortensen said today when asked on Twitter about Tebow to Buffalo, he said he thinks they 90% interested in Round 2.

I think people saying he will be the pick at 9 is very premature.
Of course it is. I said I could see it. I never said it was likely at 9. I could see the Bills trying to make a case that hes worth it, that was my point. Do i think hes worth it? No.

For me, he needs to convince me that his throwing motion is fixed. That doesn't happen in shorts at a workout. He convinces me that its fixed when hes throwing the ball under pressure and never reverts to his old style while starting in a real NFL game. He has done zero to prove that so far since he has not played a single NFL snap.

But my bigger point is not that he needs to convince me. Its that I could see the "QB developer" Chan Gailey, Jim Kelly, and the Bills convincing themselves that hes worth the 9 pick... and then, of course, trying to convince us that hes worth it.

X-Era
04-01-2010, 06:37 PM

Ive watched enough of him to know that his college arm is not good enough IMO. Its an opinion, but I can see him getting picked off a lot in the NFL with that slow windup and weak velocity.

NOT THE DUDE...
04-01-2010, 06:44 PM
ironcially his throwing motion was not winding up in high school. i dont know what happened at fl...

DraftBoy
04-01-2010, 06:50 PM
Of course it is. I said I could see it. I never said it was likely at 9. I could see the Bills trying to make a case that hes worth it, that was my point. Do i think hes worth it? No.

For me, he needs to convince me that his throwing motion is fixed. That doesn't happen in shorts at a workout. He convinces me that its fixed when hes throwing the ball under pressure and never reverts to his old style while starting in a real NFL game. He has done zero to prove that so far since he has not played a single NFL snap.

But my bigger point is not that he needs to convince me. Its that I could see the "QB developer" Chan Gailey, Jim Kelly, and the Bills convincing themselves that hes worth the 9 pick... and then, of course, trying to convince us that hes worth it.

I dont see the Bills making that case or really any indication yet that they're even thinking about it. They've been at almost every QB workout thus far.

Taking a guy out to dinner and having a two day visit with him is not what I would consider anything special at this point.

NOT THE DUDE...
04-01-2010, 06:56 PM
You have to wonder if kelly knows something we dont... im sure he knows who we are targeting, and kelly didnt have dinner with other qbs...

SquishDaFish
04-01-2010, 07:01 PM
You have to wonder if kelly knows something we dont... im sure he knows who we are targeting, and kelly didnt have dinner with other qbs...

Can Kelly just like a young QB coming out of college and want to go to dinner to meet him and talk football while he was in Buffalo?? Is that OK?

X-Era
04-01-2010, 07:39 PM
I dont see the Bills making that case or really any indication yet that they're even thinking about it. They've been at almost every QB workout thus far.

Taking a guy out to dinner and having a two day visit with him is not what I would consider anything special at this point.

I hope for our sake that your right.

tampabay25690
04-01-2010, 08:14 PM
Tebow, if drafted in round 1 by anyone, will be the biggest bust in NFL history.

If we draft him, it will make Donahoe look like a genius for drafting JP.

WHy do u think so?

justasportsfan
04-01-2010, 08:23 PM
drafting tebow would also be a great marketing strategy for the bills. He would bring national attention to the bills s well.

SirMcGee
04-01-2010, 08:24 PM

I would not be surprised at all to see us either move up into late round 1 for him, draft him in the 2nd, and yes, I could even see us take him at 9.

Do I think hes worth any of those picks? If he can make all the throws, yes... no one would be better IMO. If he cant due to his mechanics, I wouldn't draft him any earlier than the 5th round.

I have never been a fan of drafting this guy with his college mechanics... but if he has it fixed, there is no one Id want more.

Regardless, its not up to me. And, IMO, we had better get used to the idea, because I think its a very real possibility.

Some of us said early on with Tebow, that the debate may become epic, and I think its just about starting to live up to that hype... I think he may be the biggest boom or bust prospect in draft history... But now its taken a very local turn... and it wont stop until he gets drafted by someone else.

Ive been warming up to the idea, if he can keep his new mechanics even when his mind is rattled, I might just convince myself that this is a very good move.

Fixing mechanics is easier said than done, especially at the level he's playing at now. Sure, he can change his mechanics in a controlled environment with plenty of time to think about what he's doing. But come game time, when you're getting bombarded by people all over the place with only 2-3 seconds to throw it; he'll instinctively revert back to his old habits. His bad mechanics. His bad footwork. This is why coaches never even bother trying to fix River's mechanics. Or Carr's low delivery, because they know its pointless.

He is what he is, whether he tries to fix his poor mechanics.

Dicknoze69
04-01-2010, 08:46 PM
Fixing mechanics is easier said than done, especially at the level he's playing at now. Sure, he can change his mechanics in a controlled environment with plenty of time to think about what he's doing. But come game time, when you're getting bombarded by people all over the place with only 2-3 seconds to throw it; he'll instinctively revert back to his old habits. His bad mechanics. His bad footwork. This is why coaches never even bother trying to fix River's mechanics. Or Carr's low delivery, because they know its pointless.

What about how Aaron Rodgers completely re-tooled his mechanics after he was drafted? Moreover, the Texans did fix Carr's low delivery; it certainly wasn't what doomed him. Retraining your muscle memory requires very hard work, but it's doable.

Nighthawk
04-01-2010, 08:53 PM
Wow, some people really read too much into things. Calm down everybody, we'll all find out what happens when the draft come...not before then.

justasportsfan
04-01-2010, 09:24 PM

the knock on Rivers coming out of college is that he side arms his throws. he doesn't anymore.

SirMcGee
04-01-2010, 09:26 PM
What about how Aaron Rodgers completely re-tooled his mechanics after he was drafted? Moreover, the Texans did fix Carr's low delivery; it certainly wasn't what doomed him. Retraining your muscle memory requires very hard work, but it's doable.

The knock on Rodgers wasnt his mechanics. THe fact that he was from a Joe Tedford offense scared some teams away. His throwing motion hasn't changed much so i don't really know what you're talking about.

SirMcGee
04-01-2010, 09:30 PM
the knock on Rivers coming out of college is that he side arms his throws. he doesn't anymore.

Don't kid yourself. It hasn't changed that much; its still a funky delivery.

BillsWin
04-01-2010, 09:53 PM
Bring on Tebow. As long as its not at nine, I would love to have a kid like that on my team.

I just watched the espn documentary on Tebow's senior year of high school. The guy broke his leg ( a pretty bad break) in the first quarter of a game. He played the rest of the game on a broken leg, even running for a 20 yard TD.

That is the kind of ferocity and drive I want my QB to have. I say let Gailey coach him up for a season or two then look out. If his mechanics are his biggest weakness and we feel like we can correct that, then I think Tebow is worth the risk at 41. But not at nine.

His intangibles and just that never quit, win at any cost attitude are the things I look for in a football player.

I have been negative about Tebow since the beginning, but I won't lie he is coming around to me and this franchise needs a spark.

DraftBoy
04-01-2010, 09:55 PM

Let us not forget he has tried this throwing mechanics change before, two years ago.

justasportsfan
04-01-2010, 09:59 PM
Let us not forget he has tried this throwing mechanics change before, two years ago.
if they were winning with the way he threw I can see why they didn't feel they had to change it . I'm sure tebow will do what he has to do to be successful. At least thats whats being said about him

DraftBoy
04-01-2010, 10:04 PM
if they were winning with the way he threw I can see why they didn't feel they had to change it . I'm sure tebow will do what he has to do to be successful. At least thats whats being said about him

But they did change it they spent an entire offseason changing it. It was upon his request. When the pads went on the hits started coming though he reverted back to what he was comfortable with.

There are youtube videos of it.

YardRat
04-01-2010, 10:09 PM
Don't get too excited about Tebow coming in for a visit...Supposedly the team is bringing more guys in for the same, up to 10 or 12, so whoever comes in next will then become the flavor of the day.

justasportsfan
04-01-2010, 10:10 PM
But they did change it they spent an entire offseason changing it. It was upon his request. When the pads went on the hits started coming though he reverted back to what he was comfortable with.

Gailey pretty much said the same thing. So we know that he realizes that too. If he thinks that he can change that I doubt he puts in Tebow until he's ready. Anyone realizes he's a project. He realizes the risks in drafting Tebow. But like Rivers, it'll take time. I myself am not impressed by Tebows mechanics, but the intangibles are just way up there.

jamze132
04-02-2010, 12:21 AM
I highly doubt that Tebow will be around at #41. Most of the 8 teams that draft in front of us need a QB too. Tebow is going to be a hot commodity after Bradford and Clausen are drafted. If we want him, we will have to reach for him. I leave that decision up to Nix, who is a better talent scout than any of us.

SABURZFAN
04-02-2010, 01:17 AM
:monkeyp: Teblow

SirMcGee
04-02-2010, 01:46 AM
Bring on Tebow. As long as its not at nine, I would love to have a kid like that on my team.

I just watched the espn documentary on Tebow's senior year of high school. The guy broke his leg ( a pretty bad break) in the first quarter of a game. He played the rest of the game on a broken leg, even running for a 20 yard TD.

That is the kind of ferocity and drive I want my QB to have. I say let Gailey coach him up for a season or two then look out. If his mechanics are his biggest weakness and we feel like we can correct that, then I think Tebow is worth the risk at 41. But not at nine.

His intangibles and just that never quit, win at any cost attitude are the things I look for in a football player.

I have been negative about Tebow since the beginning, but I won't lie he is coming around to me and this franchise needs a spark.

Byron Leftwich did almost the same thing being carried by his own linemen in the last quarter.

We need a QB that can start now. Not 5 years from now.

SirMcGee
04-02-2010, 01:47 AM

Which is basically what i said. Its not easy to change throwing motions when you've been doing it the "wrong" way your entire football career.

But other than his throwing mechanics, i doubt his ability to read defenses like QBs should and make the proper changes at the line.

No thanks

SirMcGee
04-02-2010, 01:50 AM
Gailey pretty much said the same thing. So we know that he realizes that too. If he thinks that he can change that I doubt he puts in Tebow until he's ready. Anyone realizes he's a project. He realizes the risks in drafting Tebow. But like Rivers, it'll take time. I myself am not impressed by Tebows mechanics, but the intangibles are just way up there.

Rivers mechanics hasnt change much. Its still an awkward delivery, so don't make it out to be a major change.

SquishDaFish
04-02-2010, 03:05 AM
SirMcGee is a Mr. KnowitAll :lol:

tampabay25690
04-02-2010, 05:42 AM

X-Era good Thread by the way.
I think you are right in everything you said.

I will be the 1st to say that Tim is not worthy of #9 in the draft but I do think he is a top QB in this draft.

Look at the NFL now as a whole. Problems with the economy, $$$ in NFL franchises and attendance being down throughout the league.

If I was a franchise now I would feel more comfortable throwing $$ at Tim Tebow as there franchise QB then ALOT of other guys in the draft. You know TIM will give back to the community, you know he will show up to work everyday and give 150%%, you know he will be a leader, and you know he will SELL A ton of jerseys, and he will fill the stands. 1 last you know he wont blow up to 290 LBS and embarass your franchise.....

He might not be ready to START in all 16 games this year but you know damn well he will be on the field either in goaline or a wildcat formation. If he is not on the field you know he will do whatever it takes to learn from the guys ahead of him.....

If I was a Owner or a franchise right now WHY not take a chance on a guy like this......

The guy has never LOST and why should it start here....

TEBOW to me is a B-LO guy especially for a franchise that needs a future QB....

ChristopherWalken
04-02-2010, 02:40 PM
Spiller in round 1 and Tebow in round 2 would seriously change the dynamics of this offense. It would also suit Gailey's ideal offensive style.

Now, most of us would hope they would focus on both interior lines with either of those picks, but I could still see this happening.

Drafting like this fills seats and Nix and Gailey get to start the O from a comfort zone.

SirMcGee
04-02-2010, 02:45 PM
SirMcGee is a Mr. KnowitAll :lol:

Not mr. know it all. just know more than you :pimped:

Dicknoze69
04-02-2010, 03:46 PM
Another thing I've been thinking about our seemingly high interest in Tebow and reports/Mort/etc. saying we'll pass on Clausen:

I think it's quite possible Tebow is actually a smokescreen for Clausen. Quite a few people in the media, including Mort, claim that we'll pass on Clausen at #9. Additionally, a lot of people in the media (Carucci/King) are hyping up Tebow to the Bills. I wouldn't put it past any GM to leak false info this time of year, and Nix seems even more hellbent on secrecy then most GMs. I personally don't like Clausen a whole lot, but a reverse smokescreen seems like a possibility in order to ensure the guy you want is there at #9.

All I know is that we're going to be in for a very interesting draft weekend.

JCBills
04-02-2010, 04:05 PM

This is why I highly doubt we take Tebow.

Gailey said something along the lines of "We need to get two hits with our first two picks." A project is as far away from a hit as possible. They'll be looking for starters.

better days
04-02-2010, 04:13 PM
This is why I highly doubt we take Tebow.

Gailey said something along the lines of "We need to get two hits with our first two picks." A project is as far away from a hit as possible. They'll be looking for starters.

I doubt the Bills will take Tebow also. #9 is too high & he will be off the board before #41. I say the Jags, Pats* or Fins take him.

Commissioner
04-02-2010, 09:10 PM
ironcially his throwing motion was not winding up in high school. i dont know what happened at fl...

I noticed that too.... He seemed to throw the ball in high school like he did at his pro day.

I wonder what changed in college?

BertSquirtgum
04-02-2010, 10:02 PM
two words for you. smoke screen

PECKERWOOD
04-02-2010, 10:53 PM
I'm hopeful that Clausen drops to us so this will be a non-issue. :pray:

bosshogg21
04-03-2010, 03:16 AM
Jesus christ... Big Bens throwing motion is awful. He runs around and pump fakes the defense to death, throws wobbling ducks all over the place. He's a winner though with a winners attitude. Phillip rivers..my god what an awful looking throwing motion. Super successful. It's not like tebows throwing motion is Byron leftwich for godsakes. I'm with the people who are saying don't bet against this kid. He has the will to get it done one way or another. it would be a far cry from Trent deer in headlights Edwards.

bosshogg21
04-03-2010, 03:30 AM
Spiller in round 1 and Tebow in round 2 would seriously change the dynamics of this offense. It would also suit Gailey's ideal offensive style.

Now, most of us would hope they would focus on both interior lines with either of those picks, but I could still see this happening.

Drafting like this fills seats and Nix and Gailey get to start the O from a comfort zone.

I know you and I are minority in this thinking but that is exactly how I want this draft to play out. I think you can fill out the lines the rest of the draft plus I don't think the line is that bad with everyone coming back off injury and with a year more experience.

I think spiller is the dynamic gamechanger that we need with the lowest bust factor of anyone in the draft. However I do not think tebow will last till our 2nd pick. If we want him we will have to trade back up into the early first. Maybe package lynch or whitner with our 2nd and next years 4th or 5th. We are gonna need to get up to the 25-35 range to grab tebow.

Oaf
04-03-2010, 03:46 AM
Not worth the 9, not worth the 42 AND 74th. I think we're stuck unless we actually find a trade down partner.

BuffaloBeliever
04-03-2010, 06:56 AM
I LOVE Tebow's intangibles. They're clearly off the charts, but what really worries me is the lengthy process it'll likely be to develop him into a franchise QB. Most people around the league and former players who played with Tebow say that he needs at least two years on the bench, preferably three, before he'll be ready to be truly effective as a starting QB. I don't believe Gailey or Nix plan on throwing 2 or 3 years in the sink before finally getting some production.
Clausen is a solid talent, not elite, but a solid talent with a good chance of becoming a pretty good starting QB. However, he doesn't have a particularly strong arm nor is he particularly accurate nor does he have strong intangibles. All of these reasons are why I believe the Bills will select the best OT/NT on the board at 11 and 42.

bosshogg21
04-03-2010, 02:27 PM
I LOVE Tebow's intangibles. They're clearly off the charts, but what really worries me is the lengthy process it'll likely be to develop him into a franchise QB. Most people around the league and former players who played with Tebow say that he needs at least two years on the bench, preferably three, before he'll be ready to be truly effective as a starting QB. I don't believe Gailey or Nix plan on throwing 2 or 3 years in the sink before finally getting some production.
Clausen is a solid talent, not elite, but a solid talent with a good chance of becoming a pretty good starting QB. However, he doesn't have a particularly strong arm nor is he particularly accurate nor does he have strong intangibles. All of these reasons are why I believe the Bills will select the best OT/NT on the board at 11 and 42.

The Clausen not being particular accurate part is extremely unaccurate. He completed 68% of his passes while tossing 28 tds to only 4 ints. All behind a swiss cheese of a line.