PDA

View Full Version : Trent Williams ahead of Bulaga?

patmoran2006
04-01-2010, 09:33 PM
I've been talking to Daniel Jeremiah a lot lately via both twitter and personal emails, picking his mind about select prospects, rankings and who the Bills may take.

Hes told me a few times over the last week point blank that he is confident that Trent Williams will go ahead of Bulaga.

I've seen Bulaga as high as 5 on numerous mocks recently.

Interesting.

T-Long
04-01-2010, 09:34 PM
I've been talking to Daniel Jeremiah a lot lately via both twitter and personal emails, picking his mind about select prospects, rankings and who the Bills may take.

Hes told me a few times over the last week point blank that he is confident that Trent Williams will go ahead of Bulaga.

Interesting.

I think the rankings at this point, concerning the Bills, is pointless. I think Okung, Williams, and Bulaga are all gone by 9.

DraftBoy
04-01-2010, 09:40 PM
I'd always take a technician over an athlete at OT. This is the same exact thing that occured last year with Oher.

Dicknoze69
04-01-2010, 09:42 PM
If Bulaga gets past KC at #5, he very likely could fall to us at #9.

patmoran2006
04-01-2010, 09:43 PM
Every team starting at Washington at #4 is a big threat to go OT

KC 5
Sea 6
Clev 7
Oakland 8

You could very well be right, they both could be gone. I don't even think abotu Okung that's soooo not happening.

But I've heard from some pretty smart people that Bulaga isnt going nearly as high as people think, so maybe he is there.

Dicknoze69
04-01-2010, 09:52 PM

KC 5
Sea 6
Clev 7
Oakland 8

You could very well be right, they both could be gone. I don't even think abotu Okung that's soooo not happening.

But I've heard from some pretty smart people that Bulaga isnt going nearly as high as people think, so maybe he is there.

Assuming Wash doesn't take Clausen, I think the following is semi-likely:

KC - Berry (they're obviously the wildcard here)
Sea - Spiller
Cle - Haden (also a wildcard, but I doubt they take a OT)
Oak - Campbell/T. Williams

scartown
04-01-2010, 10:01 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if the Browns take a look at Bulaga at 7. With Thomas, Mack and Bulaga that line could be special.
I also can see Kyle Wilson going before Haden. I just like his game better.

BillsWin
04-01-2010, 10:08 PM
Williams over Bulaga would be a mistake. Williams is going to act and play a lot different when the checks start rolling in.

psubills62
04-01-2010, 10:19 PM

KC 5
Sea 6
Clev 7
Oakland 8

Ehhh I don't see Cleveland as a threat to take an OT. Considering they have Joe Thomas, and it's not that hard to find a capable RT, then they should be looking at their many other areas of need.

KC is interesting to me. A lot of things I've been reading lately have indicated that KC will keep Albert at LT, and they've been building the OG position up during the offseason. I think it's very possible that they pick OT, but I wouldn't be terribly surprised if they didn't.

Seattle seems likely to pick an OT. I'm hoping Al Davis stays true to Al Davis form and goes with Campbell.

I think Washington and KC are the main factors here. If Washington manages to get Bradford somehow (in trade or whatever), or if they take Clausen, then I think we may be able to get Bulaga or Williams.

bigbub2352
04-01-2010, 10:34 PM
I think with our current make up of players like Wood Levitre and Hangartner we are better to have a Bulaga style player, and if he doesnt pan out at LT he will be one hell of a RT...

lets face it the Cornell Green signing is a joke and i hope he is a backup but think he will start and he is horrible so whatever he gets him off the roster
faster is better for me

Bulaga will be fine at LT he is a beast and has the nasty streak we all love

Dicknoze69
04-01-2010, 10:35 PM
Something to keep in mind about Seattle is their OL coach is Alex Gibbs, the guy who runs zone blocking exclusively. Therefore, he tends to need specific player types, like guys with lesser physical skills yet very smart players. Here's a good article detailing what he tends to like:

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/21019/anatomy-of-a-gibbs-coached-lineman

Also, if Seattle wants Spiller, I don't think they'll be able to get him at #14. So they'd need to decide which position to wait to get until #14.

psubills62
04-01-2010, 11:15 PM
Something to keep in mind about Seattle is their OL coach is Alex Gibbs, the guy who runs zone blocking exclusively. Therefore, he tends to need specific player types, like guys with lesser physical skills yet very smart players. Here's a good article detailing what he tends to like:

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/21019/anatomy-of-a-gibbs-coached-lineman

Also, if Seattle wants Spiller, I don't think they'll be able to get him at #14. So they'd need to decide which position to wait to get until #14.

Interesting. Almost makes me wonder if Seattle is looking to reach for an OT that fits that mold at pick 14 (e.g. Charles Brown). Out of the top 3 OT's (Okung, Bulaga, Williams), it seems like Bulaga fits the description best, though even he isn't a perfect match.

I like that Gibbs' teams really have drafted OL in the first couple rounds much. Raises my hopes that they won't draft one. But they still have a major hole at LT, which could definitely end up trumping draft history.

Ingtar33
04-01-2010, 11:34 PM

Interesting.

If you read my commentary on Trent Williams you'd see i think he's a LT in this league with more potential then Bulaga (that said Bulaga is a better player now). The people who say he's a RT don't know what they're talking about.

tampabay25690
04-02-2010, 05:46 AM
I don't see it at all I see Bulaga as the #2 OT in this draft and Williams maybe 3 or 4 depending on what people are looking for...

Dicknoze69
04-02-2010, 08:53 AM
Interesting. Almost makes me wonder if Seattle is looking to reach for an OT that fits that mold at pick 14 (e.g. Charles Brown). Out of the top 3 OT's (Okung, Bulaga, Williams), it seems like Bulaga fits the description best, though even he isn't a perfect match.

I like that Gibbs' teams really have drafted OL in the first couple rounds much. Raises my hopes that they won't draft one. But they still have a major hole at LT, which could definitely end up trumping draft history.

I agree with you on Charles Brown possibly being the pick at #14. Between the Pete Carroll connection, the fact that Carroll ran a zone blocking scheme at USC, and the fact that Gibbs is running that same zone blocking scheme in Seattle now, it almost seems too obvious.

WeAreArthurMoates
04-02-2010, 09:33 AM
I agree with you on Charles Brown possibly being the pick at #14. Between the Pete Carroll connection, the fact that Carroll ran a zone blocking scheme at USC, and the fact that Gibbs is running that same zone blocking scheme in Seattle now, it almost seems too obvious.

Yep, I see that too. If they get Spiller and Brown in the first, that teams offense improved dramatically.

Ron Burgundy
04-02-2010, 09:43 AM
I think Bulaga falling to #9 is a pretty likely scenario, and I'll be very stoked if we can get him.

THATHURMANATOR
04-02-2010, 10:08 AM
Williams over Bulaga would be a mistake. Williams is going to act and play a lot different when the checks start rolling in.
Have any of us seriously watched enough of either player to make a claim like this?

Come on guys we aren't NFL Scouts. How could you have the time/or desire to sit down and break down game film?

THATHURMANATOR
04-02-2010, 10:09 AM
I think Bulaga falling to #9 is a pretty likely scenario, and I'll be very stoked if we can get him.
I really don't know anything about the guy other than he went to Iowa. I can't say I would be pissed if we got him though.

Ron Burgundy
04-02-2010, 10:25 AM
I really don't know anything about the guy other than he went to Iowa. I can't say I would be pissed if we got him though.

He's got good size, very technically sound (Ferentz gets the big boys at Iowa well-prepared) and he's strong...and he ate Derrick Morgan's lunch in the Orange Bowl.

DraftBoy
04-02-2010, 11:23 AM
Have any of us seriously watched enough of either player to make a claim like this?

Come on guys we aren't NFL Scouts. How could you have the time/or desire to sit down and break down game film?

Id like to think Ive seen enough of the film on these two guys to make some kind of an educated assessment of their play and abilities.

patmoran2006
04-02-2010, 11:25 AM

I agree with you. With the exception of Notre Dame players, I rarely if ever see enough of a college player to make a fair evaluation of him.

That's why I always freely admit that I talk to either former scouts, people in the business or writers who've covered the player at the school to get the vast majority of my information. Truthfully, I barely heard of Bulaga or Trent Williams before this season ended.

Having said, the book I mainly get on Bulaga is he's a good but not elite tackle. A lot of people say he's not franchise Top 10 pick material, but those same people generally admit that he's the kind of guy you can plug in at OT and not have to worry about it again for several years.

In other words, he may not be a Pro Bowler, but he won't hurt you either.

Whether that's worth the 9th pick is up for question.. Given the Bills OL last year, sounds to me like it is.

I'd rather have Trent Williams if he falls for us, as the conensus I gather is he has the potential to be one of those elite tackles.

None of those opinions are based on my own.. I dont know enough about either player.

Goobylal
04-02-2010, 11:35 AM
There are several OT's who won't be taken in the top 10, who have a ton of potential. Guys like Campbell, Davis, Brown, Washington, Saffold, and maybe Veldheer. I just hope the Bills are able to find the best LT they can, regardless of where they take him.

Dicknoze69
04-02-2010, 02:00 PM
I see more and more reports linking Trent Williams to the Raiders at #8. It makes sense since he did have a pretty ridiculous combine, but was overshadowed by Campbell.